Thread: Vegan Angel Delight/Pudding Mix?

IndigoSea

Default Vegan Angel Delight/Pudding Mix?

I've spent ages trying to adapt my favorite non-vegan chocolate cake into a vegan version. I've found all the things I need, vegan sour cream, chocolate, egg replacer, a vegan chocolate cake mix to base it on. But I'm still missing the pudding!
    In the original recipe you just mixed in a sachet of angel delight type chocolate pudding and it made the cake all kinds of moist and rich. But I haven't been able to find a vegan pudding mix. Does anyone know if they exist? Or know of anything I can use to replace it and get the moistness?

Here's the recipe so far:

1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix (I'm using Diatary Specials chocolate cake mix)

1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix

1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (using Tofutti sour cream)

3 eggs (egg replacers)

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (dark dairy-free chocolate chips)

Does anyone have any ideas? I know I can make a chocolate pudding mix, but it wants powdered milk. Is there a vegan replacement for that?

Blueshark

Default Re: Vegan Angel Delight/Pudding Mix?

Can you recommend a reliable supplier for the chips?

I would love it if there were a vegan product of this kind, but I'm not aware of one.
    This seems like quite a complicated way of making chocolate cake to me. Rather than trying to adapt a non vegan recipe, why not find a recipe for vegan chocolate cake. I make one with flour, baking powder, cocoa, sugar, water and oil which is very easy. I'm sure ther are lots of recipe's on the forum for chocolate cake.

Quote IndigoSea
    I know I can make a chocolate pudding mix, but it wants powdered milk. Is there a vegan replacement for that?
    It is certainly possible to get powdered soya milk, also nut milk Ecomil do some, probably other people too. You could also try using non-dairy creamer, maybe try some jewish shops if there are any near you?

I agree that it would be a lot easier to just use an existing vegan recipe though, unless you're after the challenge

Yeh, it does seem to be a very complicated (and expensive?) way to make a chocolate cake.

Will be interested to know how it turns out.

IndigoSea

Quote Blueshark
    Can you recommend a reliable supplier for the chips?
    Not really. I'm using Dark 70% Green&Black's chocolate- broken into little cubes :} does the same thing. I also think Green&Black's makes dark baking chocolate.

IndigoSea

Quote cookey
    I would love it if there were a vegan product of this kind, but I'm not aware of one.
    This seems like quite a complicated way of making chocolate cake to me. Rather than trying to adapt a non vegan recipe, why not find a recipe for vegan chocolate cake. I make one with flour, baking powder, cocoa, sugar, water and oil which is very easy. I'm sure ther are lots of recipe's on the forum for chocolate cake.
    But this one is- without a doubt- the best chocolate cake I've ever tried ever. I've tried a few vegan recipes, but this one is just fantastic ^-^ I'll try a few others though and see what I get, I haven't followed any recipes posted here yet.

IndigoSea

Quote twinkle
    It is certainly possible to get powdered soya milk, also nut milk Ecomil do some, probably other people too. You could also try using non-dairy creamer, maybe try some jewish shops if there are any near you?

I agree that it would be a lot easier to just use an existing vegan recipe though, unless you're after the challenge
    Actually, I do love hard recipes and challanging things that keep me locked in the kitchen for hours. This is a complex recipe, and it doesn't sound like it works what with the sour cream and coffee alcohol, but it really really does <3 I have some non-dairy creams (alpro and oat cream) so I might try it with them. Thanks!

Quote IndigoSea View Post
    I've spent ages trying to adapt my favorite non-vegan chocolate cake into a vegan version. I've found all the things I need, vegan sour cream, chocolate, egg replacer, a vegan chocolate cake mix to base it on. But I'm still missing the pudding!
    In the original recipe you just mixed in a sachet of angel delight type chocolate pudding and it made the cake all kinds of moist and rich. But I haven't been able to find a vegan pudding mix. Does anyone know if they exist? Or know of anything I can use to replace it and get the moistness?

Here's the recipe so far:

1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix (I'm using Diatary Specials chocolate cake mix)

1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix

1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (using Tofutti sour cream)

3 eggs (egg replacers)

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (dark dairy-free chocolate chips)

Does anyone have any ideas? I know I can make a chocolate pudding mix, but it wants powdered milk. Is there a vegan replacement for that?
    IndigoSea: Here's a from scratch recipe from which the prepackaged versions were, in all likelihood, inspired by. Once you see how the pudding ingredients work, you can improvise with soy, rice, or almond milk as well as other flavors. Substitute each egg required with 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (using designated coffee grinder) with 3 tablespoons water, simmered, then cooled before adding to batter.

Fudge Pudding Cake

This is probably one of the most interesting cakes to come out of the 20th century, and it came from the makers of Mazola Corn Oil. The cake separates into layers as it bakes. The top becomes cake, and the bottom becomes pudding.

INGREDIENTS
    BOTTOM LAYER
    1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup corn oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    TOP LAYER
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup boiling water
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
    BOTTOM LAYER - In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, nuts, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Mix in milk, corn oil, and vanilla. Spread in pan.

Makes 8 servings

courtesy of

http://lynnescountrykitchen.net/cakes/scratch.html

ciao