Thread: Roo cull in Victoria

Thumbs down Roo cull in Victoria

This week on the local news they announced that in my area Bendigo and Heathcote the roo population is endangering motorists. They are currently organising a cull. I am finding this really distressing. Any ideas, other than contacting local counsell and RSPCA who are apparently deaf and can't hear sense?

Default Re: Roo cull in Victoria

The only ones I can think of might get you into a lot of trouble, probably not what you want. What a horrid thing to do.

Sad how they never talk about motorists endangering the roo population, only the other way around...
    anyway, I've heard that some phD students somewhere are using a roo sterilisation drug to reduce the population, which is much more humane than culling them. I'm really sorry but I can't remember where I heard about the program. Maybe you could suggest to the local council to investigate what sterilisation methods are possible?
    I am pretty jaded with the RSPCA - that organisation is a bigtime cop-out, only protecting 'all creatures great and small' until an issue becomes politically controversial. But I'm hesitant to attack orgs that make some kind of effort to look after animals' welfare, albeit selectively.

They have been trying to do that for years in that area, I know it's sick. maybe they should cull the motorist and leave the roos. Im sure the roos are better for the envro and meant to be there unlike the cars etc... Where do these people get there logic?

Culling the motorists appeals to me too Ashee...

are there and figures and examples in their talk treehugga?

it can be said that any wildlife, especially in areas where they may be prolific, say at mating time, is a danger to motorists.

I realise there may be a danger to motorists, yet culling these animals, these lives, is not the answer. Slow down, if you drive at a safe pace (say 50 ks) You will not hit them. I regularly go to this area and really I haven't experinced a problem. My father practiclly lives there and he has come close to hitting two... Whatever the stats, culling is not the answer.