Thread: Green Smoothies

Default Green Smoothies

Hello,

I am very keen to learn about Green Smoothies and their benefits. Are there any Green Smoothers out there?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

FR

Default Re: Green Smoothies.

I love them, but prefer them to be mixed with some fruit (like Naked brand smoothies, but homemade).

I don't know that brand, I don't think we have it in the UK. I made green cabbage, tomato and basil smoothies today ew... that took some getting used to!

What do you put in yours? What greens and how much do you use a day? Have you noticed any health benefits? And what colour underpants are you wearing?

FR

My green ones would have pear or apple juice, lime juice, frozen kale, wheat grass. The naked brand has more green ingredients like algae and other sea plants. Putting fruit in them is the key to making them taste sweet and yummy.

I don’t notice anything but an energy rush, similar to a large latte w/expresso coffee. Green veggies are nutrient dense and have a lot of calcium.

I am wearing red and white plad boxers.

i read somewhere that to break yourself in gently as greenies can be so strong tasting and also a shock to the system when you start taking them - to just pop one or two leaves of spinach into a fruit smoothie and just gradually increase the % of green stuffs till at the end you are drinking a green smoothie totally.

Default Re: Green Smoothies

Thanks for that - it might explain why I've been feeling a lot worse than normal! I don't suppose you remember where you read it do you?

Does anybody know of any links to good info about green smoothies?

(Red & white plaid eh? Are you sure about that?)

I'm interested as well. Sometimes I find steamed greens a little...err boring.

I found a couple of links (recipes as well as info):
    http://www.emaxhealth.com/14/1182.html

http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/articl...moothies.shtml
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Thanks for the links TigerLily. I am reading 'Green for Life' by Victoria Boutenko. In the article (from your first link) she mentions a 60/40 ratio of fruit to greens but those recipes (which are the same as the ones in her book) don't seem like 60/40. For example 6 peaches and 2 handfuls of spinach leaves? Does she have extra large hands - or very small peaches?

Also in her book she mentions us eating between 1-2 Lbs of greens in smoothies a day... if that's 40% of the smoothie total we're talking A LOT of fruit!

It's that your eye in your avatar? It's beautiful. Mine are orange, which is why I walk about in monochrome, I freak people out otherwise.

green smoothies, hmm would this include spirolina? b.c. I definitely experienced a "jolt" in my system from making smoothie with spirolina.

Quote meggymaggoo
    Thanks for the links TigerLily. I am reading 'Green for Life' by Victoria Boutenko. In the article (from your first link) she mentions a 60/40 ratio of fruit to greens but those recipes (which are the same as the ones in her book) don't seem like 60/40. For example 6 peaches and 2 handfuls of spinach leaves? Does she have extra large hands - or very small peaches?

Also in her book she mentions us eating between 1-2 Lbs of greens in smoothies a day... if that's 40% of the smoothie total we're talking A LOT of fruit!
    She's being disingenuous. Six peaches and 1 cup of raw spinach is about 97% peaches by calories. That's a far cry from 40%.

If she is using the proportions of greens she describes in her recipes, then she is eating approximately 15 cups of spinach (or equivalent) and about 90 peaches. That isn't impossible for an active person (about 3700 calories) but it would be extremely expensive.

Today I cracked it! I had a GAWJUS greenie made with pear, water and spinach. I did my own 40/60 ratio in terms of volume not weight otherwise I would have needed a FIELD of spinach - which I just don't have handy at the moment.

It tasted great, MUCH better with the addition of fruit (you are right FR) and it was, VERY, er, smoooooooooth - asked me out on a date tonight... medjool I believe - oi, I heard that groan!

;-)

paulvegan

does anyone know any good smoothies books etc ,
    green yellow or even blue