Thread: Can you make "tofu" from nut milks?

Default Can you make "tofu" from nut milks?

I try to take in soy in moderation, for hormonal and thyroid reasons. Does anyone know if "tofu" can be made from nut milks? I can't image why not, but since i cant find any info on it, who knows. I figured I would get one of those tofu makers...anyone tried those?

Default Re: Can you make "tofu" from nut milks?

Seitan or tempeh (I can never remember) is made from wheat gluten. It's not like tofu, as far as I know, but another similar thing.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

The closest thing I've seen to a commercial tofu-type nut foodstuff is Granose nuttolene - I haven't eaten it in decades, but I seem to remember I liked it.

Not sure whether you could try a homemade tofu - I tried to make yoghurt using nut milk once and it didn't work (whereas it's easy to make it with soya milk) so they probably have different properties and may need a different coagulant. Worth experimenting with though.

I thought that tempeh was made from whole soy beans
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Tigerlily
    Seitan or tempeh (I can never remember) is made from wheat gluten. It's not like tofu, as far as I know, but another similar thing.
    Seitan is the wheat gluten one.

Tempeh is meant to be the most easily digested soya product, though, because it goes through a relatively long process of ...I want to say fermentation, but I don't think that's the right word.

Have a look here missandrea. All the info you could ever need! Looks very time consuming though.

fiamma, I went to the link but did not find much about nutmilk tofu? Did i go to the wrong place?

Sorry missandrea, I must have been asleep when I read your post 'cos I completely misread it - arghhh! Still, research is my middle name, so I'll keep looking around. Sorry

Quote fiamma
    Have a look here missandrea. All the info you could ever need! Looks very time consuming though.
    If nobody comes up with an alternative how about trying the recipe for Tofu from Fiamma's link but substituting a different bean or nut? Experiment?
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

I've seen nutmeat before, but it is very high in fat, not surprisingly... am i missing something, is tofu not good for you? I'm in trouble if this is case, i live on the stuff

I found the following on Wikipedia:
    Tofu made from other legumes
    • Black bean tofu (黑豆花): A type of tofu made from black beans and soybeans, which is usually made into tofu flower (, dòuhuā) rather than firm or dry tofu. The texture of black bean tofu is slighty more gelatinous than regular tofu flower and the colour is greyish in tone. This type of tofu is eaten for the earthy "black bean taste."
    • Burmese tofu (to hpu in Burmese): A type of tofu made from chick pea (chana dal) flour instead of soybeans; the Shan variety uses yellow split peas instead. Both types are yellow in color and generally found only in Myanmar, though the Burman variety is also available in some overseas restaurants serving Burmese cuisine.Burmese Tofu Recip
    So theoretically it is possible Maybe you could get one of those soymilk/tofu making machines and experiment like meggymaggoo says?

I was under the impression that you'd die if you don't consume fat in your diet?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Great find Fiamma - you are indeed a Research Goddess!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

Quote meggymaggoo
    Great find Fiamma - you are indeed a Research Goddess!
    Thanks

Yes...fiamma you ARE indeed the research goddess!! Thank you...I think I will try out a couple recipes and see if i can make it happen!

Clareyveg...Soy is good in moderation, just like anything else. It is a fantastic source of protein and many studies show additional benefits. And if you feel good eating lots of it then great! Your body knows what it needs. For some of us with thyroid and/or horomone problems, too much soy can aggravate the problems. And soy is also a common allergen, though i cant imagine how awful it would be to be allergic to soy! Always looking for alternatives as I do a lot of special diet cooking for people.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote missandrea
    I think I will try out a couple recipes and see if i can make it happen!
    Good on you missandrea - keep us posted won't you?!

Default Burmese tofu

I don't know if you picked up on this link from the Wikipedia piece I posted above - I completely missed it It's a recipe for tofu made from chick pea flour, no tofu maker required.
    Happy tofu-making, hope you find something that works.