Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-questions and mini-answers about this forum

Default Re: Mini-questions and mini-answers about this forum

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    I'd noticed that too Gorilla, do you think the 'contacts' under networking is the same as the old 'buddies'
    hmm, i hadn't even noticed that feature - will go and check it out...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ah, it does seem to be the same as the buddy list, and you can add new contacts by going to the contacts list. thanks, PI
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

can someone change my username plz?

i will wear "alleen" underneath or in my signature for some months.. so that i remain recognizable

ps: my desired new name is "umbilical"

Quote alleen View Post
    can Someone Change My Username Plz?

I Will Wear "alleen" Underneath Or In My Signature For Some Months.. So That I Remain Recognizable

Ps: My Desired New Name Is "umbilical"
    Argh!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Argh!
    what? the Forum FAQ says.. it is allowed to change the username..

or no?

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/faq.php

and since i browsed through all my control panel several times, and can't spot any function to do it myself, i figured only mods/admins are empowered to change names

No problem - changing your user name takes only a few seconds - just send me a PM.

thanks a lot Korn

now i can finally continue with spreading confusing posts all over your forum

BlackCats

Quote Korn View Post
    No problem - changing your user name takes only a few seconds - just send me a PM.
    Oooh, I didn't know you could change your user name. I really, really hate mine, I just chose it thinking that I would ask a few questions and never return to the forum, I bet some people on here wish I had done that.

cobweb

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Oooh, I didn't know you could change your user name. I really, really hate mine, I just chose it thinking that I would ask a few questions and never return to the forum, I bet some people on here wish I had done that.

i don't!
    (wish that)

Quote umbilical View Post
    what? the Forum FAQ says.. it is allowed to change the username..
    Yeah you can (and have), but I was "argh"-ing at the choice - Umbilical!

Aphrodite's a good name, Aphrodite. (We mythological characters should stick together )

BlackCats

Quote cobweb View Post
    i don't!
    (wish that)
    (:smile

Harpy - I like the name Aphrodite but it is quite meaningless to me. I wanted to change my forum name to Poppy as it is the name of my evil tabby cat. (I always wondered which version of a Harpy you were named after, some of them seem more sinister than others.)

Poppy's sweet. This is my Poppy

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

is zie really called poppy?

It seems like my post count number keeps going up and down; not that it's important but... wondering why that could be. Is it just me that noticed that?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

maybe some of your older posts have been deleted, or threads you posted in have been moved to sections where they don't count?

That's correct - we delete outdated threads....

Here's another question I got today:
    Hello,

I'm having problems signing to my account. It's not letting me activate my account. The code I was given wasn't working when I inputing it into the activation page. Please let me if you are able to assist me with this issue.

Thank you.
    When we get mails like this, sent from an email that hasn't been used for registering an account here, and with no information about account name etc., we can't unfortunately do anything....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hi

I have just joined and seem to have problems with sending a post. It says i am not authorised.

I look forward to your reply.
    The above is an email I just got...

I can't always respond to these posts individually, but here's a message to those of you who register and say that you're not a vegan (yet): This is a message board for vegans. Non-vegans who want to go vegan can register - this will allow them to subscribe to threads they are interested in... but non-vegans do not have posting abilities. Hope this helps.

Recently I've noticed I'm not always getting an email notification to tell me I have a new private message.

Has anyone else found this recently?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote Marrers View Post
    Recently I've noticed I'm not always getting an email notification to tell me I have a new private message.

Has anyone else found this recently?
    I've had the same PM notification twice in two days. This has happened a few times. I've put it down to a computer glitch . . .
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

I seem to get notifications around 2 days later lately.

i don't use email notifications for PMs but i was sent a PM last week that took almost 24 hours from the time it was sent to the time it arrived in my inbox.

Weird

How do you see the top 10 posters and all that? I accessed it once before but now can't remember how I did it! (You got me curious now, Marrers )
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

I'd like to know that too Spud. (It was on the Quick Links list for a while which is when I became paranoid about it. )
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Zero

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i don't use email notifications for PMs but i was sent a PM last week that took almost 24 hours from the time it was sent to the time it arrived in my inbox.
    Perhaps it took a wrong turn and was:

.... but finally found its way

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    Weird

How do you see the top 10 posters and all that? I accessed it once before but now can't remember how I did it! (You got me curious now, Marrers )
    Hi,

We disabled that function because it may have been the reason for a server overload not long ago, when the site was down for a little while....

cobweb

^ you see, people, no need for paranoia now, you can all start posting away again!

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi,

We disabled that function because it may have been the reason for a server overload not long ago, when the site was down for a little while....
    Oh, ok. Thanks Korn
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Sometimes I get emails like the one I got today:

I would be grateful if you could send the activatio e-mail to the above e-mail address. I realise that I made a mistake in the e-mail. Thanks
    We can't send any kind of activation codes or emails to other addresses than the one you have registered with. If we did, we would risk allowing others to get access to your account. If you have registered with a wrong email address, just re-register!
    Last edited by Korn; May 21st, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Stu

I'm sure that their used to be a way of 'blocking' a user, so that you don't have to see their posts, but I can't find it. I suppose it could have been on another forum. Can it be done here?

Zero

Simples! You click on 'User Control Panel' scroll down, on the left is 'Edit Ignore List'

Stu

Cheers dude!

Stu

Quote Stu View Post
    I'm sure that their used to be a way of 'blocking' a user, so that you don't have to see their posts, but I can't find it. I suppose it could have been on another forum. Can it be done here?
    Quote Zero View Post
    Simples! You click on 'User Control Panel' scroll down, on the left is 'Edit Ignore List'
    This seems to work, except for one thing (I've just noticed): you can see new threads created by people on your Ignore List. Is there any way around this, or is it something we just have to live with?

I'm a member of another forum based on vBulitin that is not public, my posts are completly private and hidden.. is all of what I write on here visible to a search engine like google?

certain sections are readable by members only, some are visible to the public.

I got a question (which don't need to be posted here) recently about moderation status etc. from a member.

Please look at the FAQ:
    Don't post questions to mods or admins in regular threads
    Also:
    We reserve the right to delete/moderate accounts and posts - for any reason - without further explanation.
    There simply aren't enough resources/capacity to discuss why some people are on moderated posts. In another recent case, a new member posted a link to an extreme animal rights organization, Animal Rights Militia. Another user reported this, with a reference to our FAQ/board rules, which says (in red print):
    Do not post anything that might be interpreted as support/justification for (or being involved in) breaking laws for any reason, or links to sites that contain such material.
    Still, the new member who was promoting this group asked (in an email) "I do agree to the rules and never broke any, and least not that I know of, and I re-read the rules.".

This is the perfect thing to do if you want to make sure your account should be deactivated and not reactivated again.

The other user I mentioned recently posted that s/he were annoyed with some people, wrote that s/he would have liked to "smash their faces into the ground a few times", asked if the members here would think that punching them be sufficient punishment/not enough punishment (etc).

We are not going into the dead end policy we did a few years ago, when we spent a lot of time on trying to make the few members who didn't understand our rules understand them, repeatedly discussed details behind our moderation etc in PMs and public threads etc.

This is a 'self-administrating' forum; nobody are paid to run it, and admins/mods totally reserve the right to moderate the best we can without having to explain every detail with people who claim that they follow our rules but clearly don't.

And - in case any of you are still in doubt... this is not a place to discuss using violence against others or promoting extreme/brutal animal rights groups.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    certain sections are readable by members only, some are visible to the public.
    And certain sections are only available if you (as a member) subscribe to so called "User Groups"...

Whatever happened to the little arrow that is overlaid on the envelopes to show which threads you have subscribed to (or posted in)? Threads I post in are still automatically subscribed to, but the arrow doesn't show up.

I use the New Default style, but there also isn't an arrow in Kelissa, either.

Can it be resurrected, as I found it useful. :smile:
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Hi Pob,

I disabled some features that could have a negative effect on the server performance when we had the database error messages not too long ago, but I have re-enabled some stuff now; eg. access to the Member Forum and User Groups for all registered users and "Check Thread Subscription".

Other extra features we had are still disabled ("Similar thread check", "Tag Cloud" and "Prevent Newbies from Posting to Wrong Forum").

Please let me know if the function are are missing is back now.

There's a tick now on the right. There used to be a curly arrow on the mail icon on the left. Perhaps that meant you'd posted in the thread.

The tick is fine, though

Confused... wasn't the curly arrow for threads that had been moved? Anyway, it seems that something has changed, because apparently, I don't have any special icons for threads I have subscribed to at all.

I just checked in another vbulletin forum and there is a little hooked arrow over the letter/mail icon on the left that starts pointing down right and then turns to down left.

When you hover the mouse over it it says "You have x posts in this thread, last _day _month _year"

At the bottom of the page (on both forums) it shows you what the different mail icons mean eg, new posts, no new posts, thread is closed, etc. On the other forum the arrowed icon is listed with the text "You have posted in this thread." That's not on here, so it looks like it is disabled somewhere.

Quote Pob View Post
    On the other forum the arrowed icon is listed with the text "You have posted in this thread."
    Aha - now I know what you mean.

That's not on here, so it looks like it is disabled somewhere.
    Or manually enabled somewhere else. ;-)

Anyway - does it work for you now?

Yeah, that's got it

Is it possible to separate the first two items on the Quicklinks menu?

I tend to prefer using "Today's Posts" rather than "New Posts" to read the forums. Too often I end up clicking "Mark All Forums Read" is a nuisance as it doesn't ask for confirmation.

It's only a small thing, but it would be helpful.

There's no such option in the software, and while that kind of user interface certainly is possible by altering the code directly, it's beyond my capacities...

I got a question via email today from someone who wrote that the forum "used to let me post but now it won't!! whats going on?".

Answer: In this - and some similar - cases, the (usually new) member has written a post about using animal products. In this case it was a post explaining why the poster "eat honey and will continue to eat honey." This is a forum for vegans, and unfortunately for some people, there won't be any discussions between vegans and people who defend using eggs, honey, milk, leather etc.

Please just use the search engine (and in this case, search for threads with 'honey' in the title) if you want to know why vegans don't use honey!

Quote Pob View Post
    Is it possible to separate the first two items on the Quicklinks menu?

I tend to prefer using "Today's Posts" rather than "New Posts" to read the forums. Too often I end up clicking "Mark All Forums Read" is a nuisance as it doesn't ask for confirmation.
    From the beta version I've seen of vBulletin 4.0, this problem is soled there...

So anybody else not receiving topic reply notifications?
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    So anybody else not receiving topic reply notifications?

I'm receiving notifications of replies to topics I didn't even subscribe to?