Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mini-questions and mini-answers about this forum

Default Re: Mini-questions and mini-answers about this forum

And another..... Is there any way we can get a warning message when our inbox is nearing full capacity (I'm sure we used to?) - instead of just BAM!! 100%, sorry you cannot receive 'such n' such' message 'so n' so' has just kindly sat composing for the last 2 hours (not quite, but you get my point ).
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

As far as I know - no. Did we really have such a feature? Hm....

But the good news is that Auto-Save - a new feature this month - automagically saves whatever you write, every ** seconds, and this works for private messages as well.

(If I'm not mistaken, paying subscribers have mailboxes with larger capacity, but in your case this only postpones the problem - it doesn't solve it. )
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Ok, thanks Korn. It's possible I was thinking of another forum re the warning messages. Aye, that save feature is great! Has saved my lazy arse a couple of times already. (PS - that's ok, I would have the bigger mailbox then ;-D)
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

RubyDuby

Quote Korn View Post
    automagically
    was this on purpose? What an awesome word!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Yes/no. It was a typo I discovered and decided to keep.

cobweb

yeah that is a GREAT word, I love it!

cobweb

btw, yes, we did used to get a message that our inbox was 90% full..........

Quote Korn View Post
    Yes/no. It was a typo I discovered and decided to keep.
    I LOVE that word too!

Quote cobweb View Post
    btw, yes, we did used to get a message that our inbox was 90% full..........
    I remember that too Cobweb................plus reading about paying subscribers having larger mailbox capacity has reminded me that I'm due to make a subscription. I'll do that in about a weeks time when more money goes into the bank!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I don't understand what this Facebook linking thing is? I did it but I don't understand it.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Hi,
    Consider the Facebook Connect feature 'work in progress'... Anyway, here's some info from the vBulletin manual about the various Facebook options that may or may not be enabled in the future:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...tions_facebook

The plan for now is to test the registration-via-your-Facebook-account option, and allow VF members to use Facebook's Like button (for threads, Vegan TV-clips - and possibly posts).

Thank you, Korn. That's great. Kinda got an understanding but I know it will become clearer with time and use! I like the 'like' facility.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I don't know if there was a change to the forum, or this is due to using another OS/browser version, but I get tiny avatars now of the last person posting in a thread. And then my avatar tinier still in the threads I posted before. On my other system these where just 'generic' icons. I checked my settings but I don't find one for it. Can I change it somewhere ?

I have started getting the same thing today

It's just a little experiment - if most users like the old solution better, it's easy to go back to the old solution...

I like the new layout, it adds a bit more colour and variation
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    If there was a "like" button, I would click on it a million times. I agree. I really like this layout/theme.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Quote Risker View Post
    I agree, I wasn't moaning in my last post, just stating that it was happening to myself as well (that it wasn't Coolcats OS/Browser)

leedsveg

I like the new layout.

Lv

The only change I see is the picture thingies, the rest of the layout is not changed for me. I really dislike change and don't deal well with it, and now the list changes every time heh.

What I don't have figured out yet is that some of the tiles are white, but when you look at the profile of (some) of those posters they do have an avatar / picture set.

EDIT: the avatar displayed is the one of the thread creator and not the last person that posted in it. So it isn't really functional. It would be more useful if you could see who made the last post in it (from the last post column)

^ It appears to show avatar pictures rather than profile pictures which is why it shows as blank for some people with pictures.

Ah, now I get it!

The little flower is what comes up for people who do not have an avatar. I was wondering who that person was who posts in every other thread...

Best regards,
    Andy

It says you activated my account but I can’t post?
    Hi, and welcome!

Since this is a forum for vegans, one requirement for getting posting abilities is that you choose "I'm a vegan" (in the pop-up menu you see) when you register. This way we avoid the classical "What's wrong with free range eggs?" and similar questions in the main sections.

You can still post in the Going Vegan area!

I'm a vegan for health reasons - why do I have posting restrictions?
    Since 'vegan' is about more than just food, it would be more accurate to say that you eat vegan for health reasons. (The definition of vegan is posted in the "More" menu above.)

If your only concern is food/your own health, you may still support the fur industry (etc) by buying their products. So, one cannot really be a vegan 'for health reasons', but one certainly can eat vegan for heath reasons - which must surprise those who assume that if they stop using animal products, they need to worry about their health!

OTOH - there's no 'vegan law' saying that one is supposed to give away belongings with animal products in once one has decided to go vegan.

So - to be more concrete: if you agree in being vegan, you may post in all sections, even with your older leather shoes on, but you won't get posting permissions in all sections if you disagree with veganism - even if you exclusively use vegan (and cruelty free/fairtrade/organic etc) products!

You may still ask questions in the Going Vegan section, subscribe to threads that interest you, and use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page when/if you go vegan to request a normal account!

I know that non-vegans of course may claim that they are vegans even if they only eat vegan just to get full posting access. We wouldn't notice - and realistically, it wouldn't matter much either, because the idea behind this policy is that all sections (except the Going Vegan area) are free from posts defending use of animal products or arguments against veganism. We could of course have been more liberal and allowed everyone to post in all areas - but then it wouldn't have been a forum for vegans anymore, so we won't change this policy!

'Quote Selected Text' seems to have disappeared? Or am I browsing with my Ray-bans on again...

Quote Gwydion View Post
    'Quote Selected Text' seems to have disappeared? Or am I browsing with my Ray-bans on again...
    Hi, I disabled the features that weren't a part of the actual vBulletin software circa a wek ago (for technical reasons), but most of them will come back again. Stay tuned.

Cool Thanks Korn.

I have been trying to figure out exactly how the ignore list works. If someone has a link to a page explaining it that would be helpful.

Thank you

LG

Quote Ladygold View Post
    I have been trying to figure out exactly how the ignore list works. If someone has a link to a page explaining it that would be helpful.

Thank you

LG
    Marking someone as 'ignored' means that their posts will be hidden from view when you are logged in.

So they are still able to see what I post and comment but I just cannot see it right?

LG

Just wondering if the "add a signature" feature is gone for good? FWIW I liked it

^ I didn't even notice it had gone but I liked it too, much better to have signatures clearly separated from posts where you can skip over them than having to read the same thing repeatedly because people add them manually.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    So they are still able to see what I post and comment but I just cannot see it right?

LG
    Easiest if you just try it. It's not very good to be honest because you'll still see that a person has posted, just not what they have posted and they can still read and reply to everything you've posted. Also, other people can quote them and you'll be able to read that. Sorry there's not a better way of getting away from my posts .

Quote Risker View Post

Easiest if you just try it. It's not very good to be honest because you'll still see that a person has posted, just not what they have posted and they can still read and reply to everything you've posted. Also, other people can quote them and you'll be able to read that. Sorry there's not a better way of getting away from my posts .
    lol not trying to get away from your posts....thanks for the info, I was just curious about how it works on here.

LG

Hello. I can't post and i'm not sure why. I've registered and confirmed it on my email address but can't post.

Hi,

this is a site for vegans, and you use honey.

Here is one of our threads about honey:
    Why don't vegans use honey?

Non-vegans can't post in the main areas, and can't post unmoderated.

On the main forum page there used to be a list of recent posts, will it be coming back? I've noticed it vanishes sometimes and then comes back a few days later but I find the forum is much quieter without it .

Quote Firestorm View Post
    On the main forum page there used to be a list of recent posts, will it be coming back? I've noticed it vanishes sometimes and then comes back a few days later but I find the forum is much quieter without it .
    I second this, I noticed it had gone and I really quite liked it
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

@ Firestorm & FaerieSuzy- I agree. I usually check the forum runner app as it displays the most recently active threads but I like using the full version of the forum to view photos and multi-quote and I like the recent post list.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Hi, I think the sidebar with recent posts has it's pros and cons. If it's not enabled, I think people will spend more time on browsing through the actual forums. I also think that the sidebar can be sort of... misleading, especially when one poster has posted a handful or two of posts in a row, because unlike Today's Posts and New Posts, the sidebar shows very few posts, which in some cases gives the impression that there's only one or a couple of people who have posted recently.

There's a new version of the vBulletin software available, with a new (and better? worse?) solution for showing recent activities. I'll get back to that soon. But the actual reason I disabled the sidebar, was that some posts - when seen isolated, and with only the first sentence visible in the sidebar, may appear as rather... rude.

Here are some of the sentences I saw in the sidebar shortly before I disabled it:
    "God you think you're so clever."
    "They look rubbish. Ewww, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, mate."
    "No I wasn't criticising you"
    "Good, that should make up for annoying you the other day."
    "Muahahaha. I see you're not denying anything."
    "What a load of shit."

Seen isolated as excerpts from longer messages, messages of this kind easily give the impression that our threads have a rather level of conflict/negativity. Admittedly, these are all from a person it's sometimes hard to understand whether they are joking/serious etc, but nevertheless - short excepts like that do't work well in the Recent Posts sidebar.

Anyway - stay tuned. Let's see what the new upgrade will bring. And don't forget that there are two other New Posts-solutions which still are active (and that most forums actually don't have the kind of sidebar we usually have!).

I missed it at first but I do agree that quick links -> today's posts is much better, perhaps add it as a one click option?

OK. Thanks for the info Korn

The sidebar is back now, and there's a new feature as well; an updated "What's New" function:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/activity.php
    This new Activity Stream page will indicate (but not show the full message) when a new post is made, and will check for new posts once a minute. If you don't click on the notification about new posts, the auto-notification will stop after 5 messages.

And - just like with the other new/today's post features: if you are logged in, you'll see new posts from the non-public sections as well - plus the subforums you subscribe to.

Does anyone know what happened to the chit-chat section? I can't find it
    Houmous atá ann!

It's there, under the heading 'Member forum'

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/for...0%A2-Chit-Chat

Why were most of the sections only available to registered users yesterday?

The reason is that we had an overload situation on the server. When this happens, I adjust the forum permissions so only those who really want access (read: those who register!) have access to the forum.

I also adjusted some other permission settings – eg. for members who are not vegans yet - and those who recently have gone vegan. For some reason – and that the reason was probably an error on my side! – some user groups didn't have all the permissions set correctly.

Unfortunately, this affected also some of the 49 new members who registered yesterday. There may still be room for improvement, so please let me know if you have any suggestions, or think that you don't have the permissions/access you should have!

My husband tried to register in this forum a couple of days after I did. He got an activation email where he clicked on the confirmation link but it wouldnt let him log in. He tried to log in a few times every day but it still doesnt work.

Is it maybe because we share the same IP adress, since we live together and use the same internet?

Hi,
    the idea behind the questions is about users sharing some info about themselves. He didn't post any location info (which is required - he just posted "God's waiting room"), and one of the other fields weren't really responded to either.

I'm getting an 'invalid user' message when I tried to activate...
    Well, if someone just fills in fake info (like eg. Interests: ipuy3383aiusydiuyisuasd6auisdy) in the registration process, the account is deleted without any notice. But we haven't had any registrations from anyone with the email you posted from, or any users with the name you signed with, so I need more info to help you out.

I'm getting this message whenever I try to post, despite my original post being long enough:-
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.
    When I click to post something sometimes it also says this before the 'message is too short' page comes up.
    Are you sure you want to leave this page?
    Changes made in the editor will be lost.
    I've tried a couple of threads but I can't seem to post photos or edit my posts - but for some reason this thread I can! I've tried logging out and back in but the problem persists. Is it just a temporary glitch for me or a general problem?

(I have managed to post on one thread although it did not run as smoothly as normal but I have been able to post and edit in this thread as normal.)
    Last edited by Marrers; Dec 4th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

What's this "- - - Updated - - -" thing that appears in some posts? When I edit mine I get the "Last edited by" text like Marrers' post above.

Quote Risker View Post
    What's this "- - - Updated - - -" thing that appears in some posts? When I edit mine I get the "Last edited by" text like Marrers' post above.
    If you comment in the same thread in short succession when none else commented in between your second post gets appended to your first, and the two posts separated with that updated line.

Ah, thanks

Hi,

I am having trouble registering on the vegan forum site. A message tells me to use "contact us" link but I can't see this. My partner registered a couple of days ago and I got this email address from him.

I'd love to register and looking for advice.

Kind regards,
    Hi!
    What exactly do you want help with in terms of the registration process? It's not easy to help you until I know exactly what kind of trouble you have.
    The Contact Us link is at the bottom of the main page (veganforum.com).