Thread: Online Vegan Guide What would you want?

Lightbulb Online Vegan Guide What would you want?

I have just registered my domain name www.VeganCharlotte.com and am looking for input from vegans on what you would like to see in an online guide.

I have a health and natural food store section as well as the main stream grocery stores that have good vegan options.

I'll have a restaurant guide also.

I want to make sure this is a complete guide to my city for current residents and also people visiting. I wish there was already one but there really isn't any complete source.

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have!
    Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

Default Re: Online Vegan Guide What would you want?

I think you should put an FAQ - those question vegans get asked over and over! Also a few recipes for simple vegan recipes that anyone could make. After all it may be accessed by people who are just looking for info on veganism and know nothing about it, and this could help show it as a simple and healthful lifestyle. Maybe a calendar of veggie/vegan events, if there are such things where you are... Great idea Sheila - I wish you all the best

Stu

How about a list of questionable ingredients? That is, things you encounter in ingredients lists that you're not quiet sure about. I'm sure a lot of people don't know what cochineal is, for example. Plus, E-numbers etc.

I'd like to see some vegan options at non-vegan restaurants. Such as the lard-free beans at Taco-Bell etc.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I think you are right that would be very helpful. I started my research yesterday and found out I have not exactly been as vegan as I thought. Who would ever think that you would have milk derivatives in French Fries!

Also Dominos and Pizza Hut both have milk allergins listed for their crusts but Papa John's is ok.......So much to do....

And thanks everyone for the suggestions you gave. I will be incorporating all of them. It's going to be quite the undertaking.

Thanks,
    Sheila

There is a conflict about Pizza Hut crust. Although Dominoes cleary has whey in the crust Pizza Hut lists dairy allergens but no ingredient is in the slightest way suspicious. Also mention fish sauce in Chinese and Thai/ Indian food? Lots of new vegans are not aware of this. Ruby Tuesdays veggie burger has been listed as vegan.
    I think that it is SOO great that you are doing this!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Hi Sheila,

You and I are doing the same thing, just in different areas - my team's site caters to vegans in Arkansas. You can check out our site at http://www.naturalstatefoods.com/vegan.html We're trying a lot of different types of pages and checking the site stats regularly to see what gets the most hits, and where the hits come from. We've found so far that restaurant listings (of which Arkansas has sadly few veggie options) get the most hits from locals, and that recipe ideas get the most hits from across the web. The most frequent search engine hit is MSN, so be sure to get your site listed with them. You will need to re-list with Google and Yahoo on a regular basis (bimonthly or so) to get regular traffic from them. The pages that get the most comments are our Celebrate pages, where we have a little fun with foreign cultures and food, sort of a vegan Schoolhouse Rocks for the web.

Hope this helps!

IndigoSea

Is it just for vegans/vegan stuff in the Chralotte area?
    It might be sort of cool to extend it to all of north carolina. Like I was in Asheville recently and it was a really amazing beautiful little city, and it really did look quite progressive.

As for things you can have on the site, I'd say certainly a list of all the vegan-friendly restaurants, and perhaps a section where you can review them?

I'm working on the restaurant section right now. So far I have started the fast food and chain restaurants. I'm suprised at how helpful the companies have been. One even sent me a 56 page document on every ingredient and additive they put in each item! Some companies make me laugh though since they don't even know what's in their own food.

Asheville is really a progressive veggie friendly. My city is OK. Some areas are more trendy and veggie then others.

Quote InTheory View Post
    Hi Sheila,

You and I are doing the same thing, just in different areas - my team's site caters to vegans in Arkansas. You can check out our site at http://www.naturalstatefoods.com/vegan.html We're trying a lot of different types of pages and checking the site stats regularly to see what gets the most hits, and where the hits come from. We've found so far that restaurant listings (of which Arkansas has sadly few veggie options) get the most hits from locals, and that recipe ideas get the most hits from across the web. The most frequent search engine hit is MSN, so be sure to get your site listed with them. You will need to re-list with Google and Yahoo on a regular basis (bimonthly or so) to get regular traffic from them. The pages that get the most comments are our Celebrate pages, where we have a little fun with foreign cultures and food, sort of a vegan Schoolhouse Rocks for the web.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the link! You have quite a bit of information. I'll be checking in on you often for some ideas.

Sheila

Hi Sheila. What a great idea you have! The grocery shopping and restaurant sections sound great. What about places to buy ethical clothing including things like vegan shoes and belts?

Sheila,
    Awesome!! Our local site has downloadable PDF files of the Seattle Restaurant guide. that way, people can download it and keep it in their cars.
    You can also have downloadable PDF files of "What's Wrong With Dairy", "The Protein Myth" and various other things that people can download and even print & distribute if they want. PM me if you want more details.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Hi Sheila,
    Does Charlotte have a lot of veggie options? If so, consider an interactive map. A site my wife and I love is provided by the Bay Area Vegetarians in San Francisco. Their City / Address Search allows you to enter the address of your hotel and get a listing of restaurants and grocers that cater to your level of vegetarianism, within an area (radius) you choose. The results are dispalyed in a Mapquest-style map that really helps us vegan tourists and business visitors. In an ideal world I would love to have this type of page (and the same variety of restaurant and grocer options) available in all towns!

All the best,
    Rob

Rob,
    Thanks for the link! Charlotte has limited vegan/veggie options. Most people here don't even know what a vegan is...very sad. When they first hear the word they look at you like you are in some alternative religion or you have some kind of funky disease.

If we had restaurants that were vegan this would be a lot easier. There are a couple veggie/asian ones though.

I really would love to have so many that I had to print a guide book like that site has.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I hear ya. There are very few vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Arkansas, which makes us extremely thankful for the folks willing to risk opening such a place. The stats show that 9 out of 10 restaurants fail, so imagine how committed an owner has to be to open a veggie restaurant in our areas. You really have to admire that!

Because of the lack of vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Arkansas, for our site I've had to try to start listing what vegan options are available in mainstream eateries. Sadly, that's not an awful lot, which must be pretty discouraging for people just considering veganism. Your average Arkansans enjoy foods they're familiar with though, so the vegan options that do well in San Francisco might not do terribly well in Little Rock. It's important to show people that 1) yes, vegan food IS available down the street right now, and 2) no, you DON'T have to eat pine needles and pebbles.

We visited the web sites of the major fast food joints to get their local addresses and posted them... that's resulted in quite a few search engine hits.
    You can also check the online menus of restaurants and inquire about ingredients and substitution possibilities ("can I get that without cheese?" for example).

Remember to include a disclaimer on your site (ours in on our "about us" page) saying that the information you provide is meant only as a guide and that it is up to the reader to do further checking in order to make informed choices.

Wow, another Charlottean. There's a few of us on this forum. We ought to all meet for lunch some time, but I wouldn't know where we could meet since they're aren't any vegan restaurants in Charlotte . Me and a couple guys were thinking of starting one but we all make too much money to justify running a restaurant. I started another thread about this.
    "Hey everybody, I made some Gazpacho"- Lisa Simpson
    "
    Go back to Russia"- Barney Gumble:D

Hello Charlotte! I would love to open one up in NODA but I sold a restaurant I owned last year and really do not want to get into that again. There are some good options for main stream restaurants here though. I have gotten good responses so far from corporate on them. Mellow Mushroom and On The Border have a lot of options!

Sheila

Mellow Mushroom
    (Location Finder)
    "Our dough and sauce are animal product free. We also offer the tofu and tempeh items. So this would open up your options for pizza, calzones and salads (for the vegan diet). If you avoid butter and parmesan, remember to ask that it is not brushed on to your pizza crust!"
    (Source via Email 08.21.06)

On The Border
    (Location Finder)
    Suggested Menu Options for Vegans (contain no meat, dairy or egg):**
    · Only Corn Tortillas (omit all fried varieties, i.e. corn Tortilla Chips or Strips)
    · Appetizers: Guacamole Live
    · House Salad – Order without Cheese and Tortilla Strips
    · Salad Dressings – Sweet Pepper Vinaigrette
    · Sides: Salsa, Black Beans (omit Cheese), Black Bean and Corn Relish, Steamed Veggies, Guacamole
    · Portobello fajitas with Corn Tortillas
    · Fajita salad with Portobello – Order Portobello as a substitute for chicken or beef in the salad.
    · Veggie Quesadillas with Corn Tortillas – Order with Steamed Veggies only.
    · Veggie Tacos with corn Tortillas – Order with Steamed Veggies only.
    ** Note: All desserts and fried Items may come into contact with animal products during normal kitchen preparation and cooking processes due to cross-contamination.
    (Source: Email 08.22.06)

Hello Charlotte! I would love to open one up in NODA but I sold a restaurant I owned last year and really do not want to get into that again
    Was your restaurant vegan? I was thinking opening up somewhere on East BLlvd. near Dilworth. NODA would be cheaper but It's still a risky area for a restaurant in my opinion.
    "

Quote Vagetarian View Post
    Was your restaurant vegan? I was thinking opening up somewhere on East BLlvd. near Dilworth. NODA would be cheaper but It's still a risky area for a restaurant in my opinion.
    The South End is a great area. NODA would be riskier right now but SODA is coming in and in a couple of years it would be a great place. Very earthy, veggie loving! We own a real estate company and do a lot of rehab stuff there. I would love to live there but alas I'm stuck in Ballantyne.

The restaurant was not vegan. I got out of it right after I became vegan last September. I couldn't stand being around meat. I was down in Waxhaw and they are some meat loving fools there. A vegan restaurant would never have worked there.

Sheila

A vegan in Waxhaw is truly a diamond in the rough. I'm sorry you live in Ballantyne. It doesn't have a vegan friendly atmosphere. Maybe you can move uptown and help me start a vegan restaurant .
    "

Quote Vagetarian View Post
    A vegan in Waxhaw is truly a diamond in the rough. I'm sorry you live in Ballantyne. It doesn't have a vegan friendly atmosphere. Maybe you can move uptown and help me start a vegan restaurant .
    Ah, but I have Earth Fare and Lowe's Foods within 1 mile of me so I'm hooked up!

Sheila

Something that would be helpful to prospective vegan tourists: a list of hotels/motels/B&Bs at a range of prices that are vegan friendly (such as a vegan friendly continental breakfast, restaurant, or room service menu, etc), including the address, phone number, and basic rate info.

Charlotte vegans are lucky to have you!

Sheila, good luck with the web site. I'll definitely be a frequent user.

Good start to the web site, Sheila. Thanks!

I am working on the hidden ingredients when you go out page:

http://www.vegancharlotte.com/Restau...ngredients.htm

I don't eat out that much. Can anyone think of any other common ones?

Thanks,
    Sheila

There could be a page about what companies are vegan for household products, makeup, shampoo, etc. Maybe in the grocery section. The clothing and handbag thing is a good idea too.

Last night I sent JC Penny's a rather nasty e-mail as a response to the notice posted on your site

Thank You!