Thread: Foodie cycle trek

Herbsman

Default Foodie cycle trek

I've always thought it would be a good idea to go on a countrywide cycle trek, stopping at vegan restaurants or vegan-friendly pubs every day. Either camping, staying in b & b's, or some other acommodation. The problem is

I don't know many vegans

I dont know many cyclists

I dont know many vegans who are also cyclists (2 in fact... and theyre the only vegans I know)

Would you be up for it, obviously not this year now that the good weather's disappearing, but maybe the beginning of next summer?

Herbsman

Default Re: Foodie cycle trek

p.s. how come there's no "add a poll to this thread" option in thread tools??

There are various companies who do special biking holidays..theres a veggie company who do one called Bycycle Beano...

http://www.bicycle-beano.co.uk
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote Herbsman View Post
    I don't know many vegans

I dont know many cyclists

I dont know many vegans who are also cyclists (2 in fact... and theyre the only vegans I know)
    Sounds like one of those Venn diagrams they used to make you draw at school Great plan though - I wish you all the best with it.

veganja

You could try an advert in Vegan Views - there have been some vegan cycling and walking tours mentioned in there, and there's usually an advert from the Vegetarian and Vegan Cycling and Athletic club.

Herbsman

Quote catmogg View Post
    There are various companies who do special biking holidays..theres a veggie company who do one called Bycycle Beano...

http://www.bicycle-beano.co.uk
    Thanks for the link. I'm well aware of companies who do biking holidays, but this is going to be a DIY thing. I'm not paying someone else to take me on holiday on my bike when I can do it myself for free!

Herbsman

Quote veganja View Post
    You could try an advert in Vegan Views - there have been some vegan cycling and walking tours mentioned in there, and there's usually an advert from the Vegetarian and Vegan Cycling and Athletic club.
    Will try that. Also, I'll post something on the Vegan Village notice board...

I like cycling and Vegan food. Where where you thinking of?

I'm a biker and an eater. I have a snapped ligament in the shoulder at the moment, so that will take a month or so to put right. I did it biking not eating.

I help with the Vegetarian Britain guide - it would be good to plot places on the Sustrans routes.

Here is a place to try: http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

I've been on a few bicycle-beanos and very good they are too and I would thoughly recommend them for those who casual, socialable cycling and familes. But it is very much pampered cycling and the more value is placed on nice pubs to eat in rather than places with good vegan choices - and sometimes the choices are pretty poor for vegans. Don't expect to have a holiday with a bunch of veggies as the holidays are very popular with meat eaters too. I'm not sure I've met too many other vegans on the trips.

The owners of the company are "mostly" veggie.

VeganLiz

I like the sound of a biking/food trip and my boyfriend would definately be up for it! We live in Brighton.

Only thing is I would need to get fitter first - how many miles would you do in one day?

Liz X