Thread: Cookbook recommendations for new vegans

Default Cookbook recommendations for new vegans

Hi

I am looking for some books to help me with my lifestyle change to Vegan. I am a very very new Vegan - this is day 2 and so any help would be great. I watched Meet your Meat and it had such an effect on me I knew vegan was the only way forward for me, but am finding it all a bit of a minefield as to what I can have/eat etc.

I have purchased Becoming Vegan and an Animal Free shopper guide and am looking for a couple of good cookery books for everyday meals for myself.

Thank you for your help

Piglet

paulvegan

Default Re: Book Recommendations for New Vegans

i use the Internet for most my recipes, try vegan village they have some wonderful links.on there.

good luck

Hi Piglet and welcome!
    Congrats on your choice to go vegan I'm so happy for you. As you're from the UK, I'd recommend Rose Elliot's "Vegan Feasts". She makes simple recipes using basic, easy-to-get hold of ingredients, and many of the dishes are very quick to make. I've had it for years and it's falling apart! My vegan cookery "bible"! Another good one is "Cook Vegan" by Richard Youngs - as well as basic recipes he also includes some more unusual ones. And Sarah Kramer's books are good too. All the best on your culinary voyage

Quote Piglet View Post
    am looking for a couple of good cookery books for everyday meals for myself.
    Have a look at the Vegan Cookbooks thread Piglet.

Thank you for the recommendations.

I am definately going to order a few books and How it all Vegan plus The Accidental Vegan are top of my list so far.

Rose Elliott always produces good books too so I will now add Vegan Feasts to my list

I have been spending hours searching the internet and have found some great and informative web sites with recipes and tips. This really is such a great journey I have begun - I wish I had started it 20 years ago.

Good sperm

The Food Revolution by John Robbins and The China Study by T. Colin Campbell explain the health, ethical and environmental issues that mean veganism is a necessity for anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together. They'll also give you plenty of information and factual backing for your lifestyle which can be handy when omnis decide to kick up a stink (which sadly happens from time to time)
    Anything by Sarah Kramer is fab, as is 'Vegan with a Vengeance' and 'Vegan Planet' is great too.

Kevster

Haha, the new book about animal rights from The Internationalist.

http://shop.newint.org/uk/index.php?...roducts_id=421

Soul Rebel

I've recently read:

Diet for a New America
    The Food Revolution
    Healthy At 100
    Becoming Vegan

I have The China Study on hold at the library and need to pick it up.

PainterLady

Most definitely "Vegan Vittles".

RebeccaDye

Question Recommendations for vegan handbooks please!

I'm Vegetarian but becoming Vegan within the next few days but, seeing as I'm 14 and know no Vegans to help me or give advice, I'm in need of a handbook. I'm afraid that if I try and do this myself I'll just replace eggs, cheese, milk etc. with the soy versions which is boring and probably won't result in me getting the best out of being a Vegan.

Preferably something with a list of what I can eat and in what sort of quantities to have a balanced diet. Maybe some recipes too!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Default Re: Recommendations for Vegan Handbooks lease!

First of all, good luck and welcome. I'm afraid I don't know of a handbook as such, but most vegan recipe books have sections on different food choices and nutrition, I would go to a large bookshop or amazon and see what you like the look of.

There's also a huge amount of information on here, and if you have any particular questions there are loads of people who will be happy to answer them
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Recommendations for Vegan Handbooks please!

Viva! do a starter pack which includes The L-Plate Vegan booklet.
    http://www.viva.org.uk/starterpacks/index.html#

You could also try to get someone to give a talk at your school.

There is also some info here:- http://www.viva.org.uk/guides/l-plate/vegan/index.htm and http://www.t3v.makessense.co.uk/articles/13.html but try doing some internet searching yourself.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

RebeccaDye

Thank you!!

cobweb

'Living without Cruelty' by Mark Gold is a good one.

sweetveg

Default looking for a healthy vegan cookbook with easy to make recipes!

hello everyone! i have been looking for vegan cookbooks day and night. and specifically i am looking for a vegan cookbook with healthy vegan food - i am looking for two cookbooks actually - one for cooking breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack recipes and another one for baking! (although if there is a book with both, even better!) specifically i am trying to drop the last five pounds and keep it there by maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle!

specifically i am looking for an everyday cookbook with simple low-calorie meals (400 cals and under) with not too much sugar. (and take less than 30 minutes to make with not too many ingredients) i am looking for very simple recipes and meals - less than ten ingredients would be great! (i am not opposed to using ener-g replacer/applesauce or nutritional yeast or other replacements)

for the dessert/baking cookbook, i am looking for low-cal sweet treats (200 cals per serving and under) that are healthy with not too much sugar. (easy to make would be awesome too - nothing too complicated please - i don't mind making my own frosting/home-made batter, but i am not interested in making fancy ganache or a cake with several layers!) i want to make good delicious healthy low-cal cookies, cupcakes and muffins and other delectable baked goods.

eg. a delicious vanilla cupcake -150 cals per cupcake.

if you have any insight on what cookbooks you would recommend, i would really appreciate it. i am following a couple vegan blogs though and would love recommendations for blogs as well!

i know there are lots of vegan cookbooks out there but i am hoping there is one that won't break the calorie bank and posts nutritional content!

PS i am a college student - which means i have very little patience to make food with lots of expensive obscure ingredients...

Default Re: HELP! looking for a healthy vegan cookbook with easy to make recipes!

Appetite for Reduction- Isa Chandra Moskawitz would be my top recommendation.
    I would also suggest 30 Minute Vegan- Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray.

I use both regularly. Appetite for Reduction is geared toward being a lower calorie cookbook, but 30 Minute Vegan definitely tends towards the lighter side when compared to other cookbooks (although it still has items such as enchiladas and nachos). Both contain many easy to prepare meals.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Default Re: HELP! looking for a healthy vegan cookbook with easy to make recipes!

Simply Vegan by Debra Wasserman; it's on Amazon. It's a great simple recipe book. There's also a section on nutrition in it...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

sweetveg

thank you so much everyone - i decided to purchase the happy herbivore and have requested to put apetite for reduction and simply vegan on hold at my local library! (currently they are checked out - and happy herbivore is not available at the library)

^^ I just got Happy Herbivore as well. It looks good

I like "Vegan on the Cheap" and another one that name is lost to me now, but it's got Eastern dishes - Indian, Thai, etc...
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Oops.. I didn't read the OP correctly.. Post can be removed :P
    Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.

I highly recommend the happy herbivore

Bailey

Default UK cookbook?

Hi guys
    I'm just starting out with cooking vegan meals, and I was wondering could anyone recommend a great vegan cookbook? I don't have much time or energy when I get home so quick and easy recipes would be great, that don't need too many (unusual) ingredients. Also, there are so many good books out there but most seem American and I'm fed up with having to convert everything from 'cups'! Does anyone know of any good British books?
    thanks!

Heya Bailey, I understand what you mean about American cookbooks. There are a couple of UK cookbooks such as 'Another Dinner is Possible', and there are a few UK recipe sites I use, Animal Crackers recipes and Parsley Soup (type them into Google, I can't remember if they're .com or .co.uk). I'm sure some UK forumers can add to the list.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: UK cookbook?

appetite for reduction! lots of cheap, easy, filling and healthy meals in there. no desserts though unfortunately

Quote veganosie
    appetite for reduction! lots of cheap, easy, filling and healthy meals in there. no desserts though unfortunately
    I haven't got that one but I trust Isa 100%! The only thing about that is its American and is most likely cup-based. I have the UK version of 'Vegan with a Vegeance' which is good as all the measurments are converted, I'd definately recommend it
    Houmous atá ann!

oops, forgot about the cup issue although i do quite like the cup measuring system, i am no good with estimating weights at all.

Bailey

hi guys, thanks for all the ideas. I didn't know vegan with a venegance had a uk version! thethers look good too, now i just have to stop myself spending too much money!

Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts. I recommend this one every time.

Just found out you can read what appears to be the entire book online for free, linked above.

I don't use books much but I like Simply Vegan by David Scott It has been out of print for ages but is available 2nd hand on Amazon for a pittance, or maybe you can find it in your local library (if it hasn't been abolished!). There is another, American, book called Simply Vegan but this one is British

The complete book of Vegan cooking is OK and is in grams not cups, also Hearty Vegan meals for monster appetites, The best veggie burgers on the planet and Big Vegan are all American but use grams as well as cups.

*Also if you want desserts Vegan Boulangerie is from the UK and this version of Sweet Vegan is in UK measurements*

I have 51 so I might have a look through them over the weekend and find a few more
    Last edited by Firestorm; Feb 9th, 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added sweet vegan

Quote BilTan View Post
    I have just pre-ordered "Bean By Bean A Cookbook" from Amazon UK at a special pre-order price of £6.92 with free Super Saver Delivery.

Have had "a look inside" online, and it looks like a really good buy for bean-based recipes. Not sure whether or not they are all vegan, but should be very easy to adapt if not.

Estimated delivery is 17 - 21 March 2012, and I hope this book will add a new dimension to my vegan meals. It is an American publication, but I can live with that.
    Lots of the recipes don't look vegan and from the text at the beginning as well as a glance at the index it appears that there are several meat dishes in it. It appears to be an American book as well with measurements in Cups and Imperial.

To be honest I wouldn't even buy a vegetarian cook book as I would see that as supporting a demand for animal products.

I can reccomend the following cookbook produced by the makers of The Mother Magazine, a pro vegan magazine for parents.
    the cookbook they recently put out is called The Mystic Fire Cookbook http://amzn.to/yHq4Np it is far more than a cookbook with many other ideas. All cooking is simple and nutritious.

Also for a starter and if you are looking for balanced go for Liz Cooks "so what do you eat" google it to get her website, buy direct from her she often has offers on other items.

gibson00

Default Best meal plan book for a newbie?

Hi all,
    I am very interested in moving to a vegan diet. My family has a history of prostate cancer, and I'd like to do what I can diet-wise to improve my overall health and reduce my chances of cancer. I am currently 38 years old.

But even aside from that specific reason, I am also an active triathlete, and my 'normal' diet is pretty bad. Time for a change.

I know there are a ton of Vegan cookbooks, etc., but are there any specific that you can recommend that have some simple, detailed meal plans laid out for a newbie to get started with?

Do the 'Thrive' books have meal plans (I read the reviews on amazon, but not really clear on what they contain)?

Any others you guys/gals would specifically recommend?

Thanks!!!!!!
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 15th, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Best meal plan book for a newbie?

I picked up the Thrive Diet book from the library and yes, it does include a mean plan. The majority of the book explains what he learned through self-experimentation with nutrition. It goes quite in depth with nutrition and how the food affects the body, all though I don't know if it's proven science.

At the end of all that he has a meal plan, I think for 7 days? Perhaps longer. He gives a list of the ingredients and has recipes you prepare in advance, like amaranth for cereal.
    Most of the cookbooks I have don't have actual meal plans, mostly just the recipes and talking about the type of cooking.

Maybe make your own meal plan? Figure out how much of what you need and the best sources for the nutrients, blah blah blah. Never done it myself so I don't really know what I'm talking about lol.