Thread: Zinc

Default Zinc

I've heard that zinc deficiency can cause someone to have a lowered sex-drive. Anyone able to verify this? I know that seeds like pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds are meant to be high in zinc. Any comments on this one?

akaredarcher

Default Re: Zinc deficiency...

I'm not aware of the 'lowered sex-drive' but zinc can be found in beans and lentils, yeast, nuts, seeds and wholegrain cereals.

It's intersesting you ask about zinc deficiency when you mentioned in your other post that you have 'reverted back to omni, feel terrible & have put on weight'.

Hi,
    I'm feeling better already for being free of the meat & dairy for just a few days now. I'm sleeping better already. One thing that happens with dairy in my diet is disturbed sleep so the benefit is also showing - thankfully!

I don't discount the fact that the zinc deficiency my homeopathy student friend described could be in fact caused by a diet including dairy & meat in it.

When I cut the meat & dairy out 3 years ago one thing I noticed was it was easier to maintain my weight. I was slim but hardly gaunt. Unfortunately, 6 months of an omni diet & I've gained 16lbs & I'm sadly starting to bulge a little.

Diana
    akaredarcher

Hi,
    Thanks for the info/link. I had a read through and think my friend mentioned it as a possibility for me because of a strange new patch of dermatitis on one eyebrow (?). That we have as yet to find a cause of.

Interestingly, I found this in the link about zinc deficiency causes
    "Birth control pills—use of these increases copper levels and thus reduces zinc"..."Zinc may interfere with copper absorption, so taking regular zinc supplements without copper can cause copper deficiency. This will interfere with iron metabolism and possibly cause anemia, as copper and iron are important in red blood cell formation. We usually need supplemental copper and vitamin A to balance the effect of extra zinc."

Hmm, I've been wanting to go off the birth control pills because it has a lactose coating (last hurdle to avoiding knowingly ingesting any known animal products!). Yet another strike against the blasted things.

Diana
    akaredarcher

Default Zinc?

How can I make sure that I get good amounts of zinc in my diet without a multivitamin?
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 8th, 2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Default Re: Zinc?

excellent website Haniska, and obviously my eating a handful of nuts every day does the trick!
    Eve

Default Re: Zinc

Here's some more info, from What Foods are the Best Sources of Nutrients :

Zinc
    Pumpkin seeds, sprouted - 1/2 Cup: 12.16 mg
    Nori Seaweed - 1 sheet: 18.92 mg
    Mung Bean Sprouted - 1 Cup : 22.6 mg
    Almond Butter, raw - 1/4 Cup: 4.12 mg

There are lots of great ways to use pumpkin seeds that most people are not aware of...