Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite way to prepare tofu?

Default What's your favorite way to prepare tofu?

I'm getting tired of just adding it to stir-fry. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks bunches!

Default Re: What's your favorite way to prepare tofu?

Breaded and deep fried.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I like fried tofu. A couple of questions, though. What kind of breading do you use and how do you make it stick to the tofu? Also, how long do you fry it?

I make a mixture out of flour, egg replacer powder (to equal one egg), and some water. I don't know how long I fry it for (I never time it) but I fry until it's golden brown.

This is my favorite way to make tofu:
    http://www.house-foods.com/yummy_rec...on_gratin.html
    (of course, use veggie stock instead of chicken stock, and soy cheese instead of swiss)
    I also make "Chicken Fried Steak" with tofu that's been frozen.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

My favorite way is to scramble it with veggies for breakfast. I use silken tofu for this. First I sautee some onions, mushrooms and garlic, then I add the drained tofu, crumble it and mix in a pinch of cumin and tumeric (you can also add the spices to a bit of soymilk, and pour that in so it is extra creamy). I mix it all around with the veggies than add other veg later depending on the time needed to cook it. Generally, i add brocolli, red pepper, spinach, carrots and canned no-salt diced tomatoes. these just need to be heated gently, and should be added close to the end.

My second favorite (for non-silken) is to slice it plain, and eat it in a sandwich with some basil leaves and tomato slices. it is also good with olive spread.

I have tried freezing, thawing, stirfrying, etc as well, but usually i just eat it as is, or heat it gently and stir it into soup/noodle dishes.

sometimes I just eat it cold, with soy sauce and grated ginger. Apparently it's how the Japanese eat it.

There are many recipes for tofu loaf.

I just collected our tofu threads in a separate forum...

Unwrap it, recycle the box. Throw the rest in the bin

We mostly use a recipe for scrambled tofu that comes out of La Dolce Vegan and is really yellow. But delish! I've also had it in loaves, cheesecake, as well as stirfry for which we buy the ready fried chunks. A long long time ago I could make a sort of faux curried egg for sandwiches with it but I don't think I have the book with that recipe in it anymore. Or want to eat faux curried egg!

I'd be interested in trying some of the suggestions on here, or even making my own one day. I think it might be a little plain on it's own but I quite like the ones with herbs and things that I've tried, although they do seem a bit weird, I suppose until you are used to them.

does anyone know what I can do with some soft silken tofu because I bought a load of shelf-stable boxes before I realised pretty much all of the recipes I had wanted firm silken...?

sugarmouse

I like it breadcrumbed aswell.Another thing I like to do if im lazy is add ready made breadcrumbs from the market (check for vegan on the packet) to tofu I have shallow fried,and mango chutney..gives it a really tangy sweet n sour taste!

Good sperm

Quote Jamie View Post
    does anyone know what I can do with some soft silken tofu because I bought a load of shelf-stable boxes before I realised pretty much all of the recipes I had wanted firm silken...?
    Good for desserts, like frosting on cakes and so on. Search the net I'm sure you'll find loads

Chocolate mousse??????????????????????????? *Please note the writer assumes no responsibility for the content of this message*

Quote Jamie View Post
    I personally don't see much difference between firm silken tofu and soft silken, so I would say just pretend you got the firm!

If you want actual firm tofu, you need to buy the kind that comes in a water pack and requires refridgeration. This is sometimes called chinese style tofu, where as the other silken kind is called japenese style tofu. You need this chinese style kind to make a stirfry or bread it and fry it up. japenese style is good for making dips/puddings, smoothies, and adding to cakes and stuff like that. If you put it in the blender it turns into like a pudding consistency and you can add herbs and flavoring for a dip.

Quote Jamie View Post
    For silken or firm tofu:

Tofu & brocolli flan:

Line a flan dish with shortcrust pastry and bake for 10 minutes.

While the pastry is cooking, fry two onions in some olive oil until lightly browned. Add a handful of chopped brocolli and some tamari or soya sauce to flavour. Stir for a minute or so then transfer into a food processor with a block/packet of tofu. Whizz together until smooth.

Pour the processed mix into the part baked pastry base and top with slices of tomato. Bake in a moderate oven until the top is brown and the pastry is done. It will never "set" completely, but if you leave it to cool it will get firmer.

Nice served hot with new potatoes and peas or cold with a leafy salad.

(You can substitue the brocolli for Spinach or other greens if you dont like brocolli). (You can freeze this ready made then cook).

For desert:

Tofu & fresh fruit smoothie

Blend half a carton of silken tofu with your favourite fruit in a processor or with a hand blender and eat!
    It is deliciously smooth & very healthy giving you protein from the tofu & all the goodness of the fruits.
    My favourites are mango witha handful of frozen mixed berries... mmm!

For firm tofu:

Grilled tofu:

Cut a block of tofu into strips 1cm thick and dip into a saucer of soya sauce or tamari so it is coated both sides. Place under a hot grill and grill both sides until slightly crispy (dont over do it or it becomes rubbery!).

This is nice in a sandwich with tomato sauce or salad or chopped into chunks & mixed into a salad or pasta or vegetable stir fry (or even instead of meat on a pizza).

Ive just made the tofu and broccoli flan from the recipe posted by Muppet and it came out lovely! I had a packet of silken firm tofu about to expire so Im really glad this came up! I had to of course try some before I took the photo and It tastes nicer than my cooking looks

Looks lovely Lavender! Where's my slice?

ummm errrrrrrrrrr 'in the post'

Quote lavender View Post
    ummm errrrrrrrrrr 'in the post'
    yeah, right! i believe you.

Lil assures me she carried it carefully and posted it off

Any of you tried scrambled tofu? As in scrambled eggs. Very nice.
    I don't need no make-up, I've got real scars.

This coming Sunday the key ingredient on the Iron Chef is going to be tofu! Hopefully they won't do anything to gross or meaty with it.

Mmm, I'm craving deep fried tofu. *licks lips* I might fry up a few pieces to add to my stir fry I am planning tonight.

Hopefully, anyway. It's raining and I need to walk to the store...

My favourite way of preparing tofu is just to cut it into cubes then dip it in a really good soy sauce (you could use a more elaborate Japanese dipping sauce by adding ginger or whatever). Leah Leneman's "The Tofu Cookbook" is looks good too, I've just bought it (not had time to try any of the recipes yet) and there are some nice looking sweet recipes for cheesecake, and Maple walnut tofu ice-cream which sound good.

as taco meat, bacon, eggs, as fettucine alfredo sauce, as chocolate icing, in stirfries. i think those are the main ways i use tofu.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

there's loads of really interesting ideas in this thread

i cut the tofu into squares or i crumble it apart, put it in a tub, add soy sauce, garlic, chilli powder (not too much!), paprika, pepper & herbs and i let it marinate for an hour or so. then i grill it using our george foreman i try not to fry things as much as poss. its yummy added to a salad or stir fry or eaten with grilled mushrooms on wholemeal toast. even my omni boyfriend loves it!

mmmm

That sounds lovely Lozza, I'm going to try that.

i love to make Tofu & Quinoa burgers. Trust me...they are the tastiest things ever!!! Yum. Nice ideas on here by they way..keep it up!

ooooohh that sounds nice, how do you make them TT?

Quote Jamie View Post
    ooooohh that sounds nice, how do you make them TT?
    Here we go:

Ingredients

200g tofu, drained & grated
    150g quinoa (cooked weight)
    50g carrot
    50g spring onion (finely chopped)
    1 tbsp Gomasio (roasted seasame seeds)
    1tbsp tamari/soy sauce
    1-2tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp buckwheat flour (or any flour you want..but i think it tastes yum with this)
    Pinch of salt (option)

Just mix all the ingredients together in a processer (apart from the oil...the oil is for the frying) and shape into 4 burgers or 8 mini burgers. I like making 4 burgers but its up to you. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers. roughly 5 minutes each side. (just until browned really) deeeeeeeeeee-lish!!!!

sugarmouse

dp you know if they freeze.TT?i am going to try that now!

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    dp you know if they freeze.TT?i am going to try that now!
    hmm ive not tried freezing them yet..but im sure they can be. ooo let me know if you like them

Ooooh they sound yummy! I wanna try and make them too!

thinly sliced, dipped in flour and fried, then with tamari sauce on top mmmm....

Quote maxb View Post
    thinly sliced, dipped in flour and fried, then with tamari sauce on top mmmm....
    yummmmmm

I have two which I've invented on my own. I'm a very "throw lots of things together and hope it tastes good" cook... but sometimes things turn out surprisingly yummy.

#1: thinly sliced & water pressed out of, marinated in equal parts soy sauce and pure tomato juice, then fried until really crispy.

#2: frozen and re-thawed but left a little moist, cut into cubes and "Shake n' Baked" in breadcrumbs with the following seasonings: salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, garlic salt, poultry seasoning (which, oddly, contains no poultry, lol), and parsley. Then fried in vegan butter/marg., or oil. Can't be any of that non-fat spray nonsense for this.
    Makes cute and really flavourful little nuggets which I then eat with mounds of ketchup!

I had tofu which had been coated in coarse cornmeal then deep fried, served with 2 different types of dipping sauces when I was in Chicago (Karyn's Cooked Conscious Cuisine - you can get a combo basket of 3 starters and dips for $6 - yummm). Anyway, it had a really great texture done like this, though it might have benefited from being marinated in something garlicky too.

Quote twinkle
    I had tofu which had been coated in coarse cornmeal then deep fried
    For dipping purposes I sometimes coat in cornflower before deep frying to help develop the crispyness (easier than batter). You hafta be careful if you're then going to add it to a sauce and continue to cook, as the surface texture can go squeaky, which is just really plan odd to eat!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

squeaky??? how do you mean???

Is a spoon.

I was experimenting one night and I love this so much, I eat it pretty much every day now.

Firm tofu, slice it into about .5cm slices, 4 slices fills me up. I then coat them in a generous layer of tomato paste (I love tomato paste), then sprinkle Tuscan herbs over it and then coat in a bit of flour, then fry. I like it very well cooked. It tastes kind of like pizza! It's so good. Then I make a small amount of cous cous to go with it or just have it with some toast and vegetables.

Very delicious

The biggest tofu hit around my house is something we call "tofu croutons." I've seen recipes in a number of cookbooks -- here's my interpretation, which I think came from a soy cookbook by Lorna Sass...
    (And yes, it's a lot of work, but once you taste it you'll be hooked. It's also easy to make a big batch then use it in different things throughout the week...)

Ingredients:
    16oz firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
    about 3/4 cup water
    1/8 to 1/4 cup soy sauce (depends on how salty you want it...)
    1 tablespoon chopped ginger
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon five spice powder (optional)
    sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil (for sprinkling)

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

Place the soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, chili pepper flakes, and five spice powder in a large, flat-bottomed skillet. Bring ingredients to a boil. Add the tofu slices in a single layer (the liquid should just barely cover the tofu). Gently boil the tofu in the soy mixture until all liquid is gone.

Oil a baking dish to prevent sticking. (I like to use a glass baking dish for this.)
    Place the seasoned tofu in a single layer in the baking dish, sprinkle with the sesame oil and sesame seeds, and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Flip the tofu pieces after 20 minutes, sprinkle with more sesame oil and sesame seeds, and bake for another 15 or 20 minutes.

The baked tofu croutons keep for about a week in the fridge. They taste great in stir fry, on sandwiches, and in tossed garden salads.

Mmmm yummy Lightforest! They sound lovely!

ooo yes they do sound nice!!!

I buy Taifun Tofu fillets.
    I open a small tin of baked beans.
    And a packet of frozen spinach.
    I use a non stick pan, cook the taifun tofu fillet on both sides, also heat the frozen spinach (a couple of tablespoons) and baked beans in the same pan.
    It is so yummy. Makes a quick meal too.
    I had it for dinner 2 days running with home made waldorf salad. Mix equal portions of chopped celery, apple and walnuts with some lemon juice and vegan mayonnaise.
    I also like to substitute tofu for the cheese and make peas paneer.
    Last edited by herbwormwood; Oct 11th, 2006 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Coconut curry tofu with baby corn and other veggies.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Crossbow

So far I've only been successful making dressings and sauces with silken tofu (Alfredo pasta and Caesar salad wraps are my favorites).

I always seem to screw up firm tofu, or perhaps I'm too picky about texture. I used to eat this amazing Peanut Tofu (they made a good spicy tomato style too) at a thai vegetarian place. The tofu was cut in large, fairly thick slices. The outside was crisp and chewy and the inside was delicate and airy (the inside always seems too firm/chewy when I try to make it :P I'm a complete beginner with tofu. Does this description seem more like fried or broiled, baked or breaded and fried tofu? I would just call the restaurant but the cooks don't speak English! Thanks in advance.

Quote Crossbow View Post
    So far I've only been successful making dressings and sauces with silken tofu (Alfredo pasta and Caesar salad wraps are my favorites).

I always seem to screw up firm tofu, or perhaps I'm too picky about texture. I used to eat this amazing Peanut Tofu (they made a good spicy tomato style too) at a thai vegetarian place. The tofu was cut in large, fairly thick slices. The outside was crisp and chewy and the inside was delicate and airy (the inside always seems too firm/chewy when I try to make it :P I'm a complete beginner with tofu. Does this description seem more like fried or broiled, baked or breaded and fried tofu? I would just call the restaurant but the cooks don't speak English! Thanks in advance.

It sounds very like deep fried tofu to me.
    It is done in very hot oil in a deep fryer.
    If you like it like this have a look at the tofu section in a supermarket which specialises in far eastern oriental food. They should sell a selection. They do in ours anyway. This sort of tofu is ready to use in your own dishes.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I really like tofu to have a less soft texture and a more chewy, meatier texture...how do I do that without frying it?