Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegan Nottingham

Prawnil

Thumbs up Re: Vegan Nottingham

Quote Hel View Post
    oh im craving a dottys burger now!
    Holy hell, now I know what you mean. I really hope they don't shut, but it sounds likely

Are they terribly expensive?
    Naah. Well, a dotty's burger which is filling and super tasty is something like £3.50.
    The bigger Alley Cafe burgers with potato wedges are something like £6-7. The food there is relatively complex, you might say. I personally feel like the Alley cafe has a more exclusive atmosphere, but depending on my mood that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Anyway, I feel that way very easily about places. They have many sandwiches that are mainly vegan, but their greatest strength is the daily special cheesecake! Or chocolate biscuit cake when the cheesecake has all been eaten.
    And I think three courses (enough to make you puke) at squeek are £16 or so. Squeek's menu has about 3 choices per course, one side of the sheet is vegan, the other is vegetarian versions of each, and the menu changes regularly. It's a great place. The Alley cafe has quite a big menu, and they do loads of combinations of milkshake things. I think their sign still has 6pm close on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, but it's 9pm now.
    I think. And I'm probably repeating things from earlier in the thread.

The only thing that's ever put me off trying Lantong is not knowing which door is the real one

Default Re: Vegan Nottingham

They are too far up Mansfield Road really If they were a bit nearer town they would do better.
    It has been quiet when I've gone in though. I must buy cake there before they shut, if they do.

what? dottys might close? noooooooo it cant be true! its always been really busy when ive gone in there

Quote Sloth View Post
    I saw Squeek mentioned too...I've probably rambled about the before, but just to reiterate, I -love- the place ^_^
    Do you know the opening time of this place? I can't find a website, how old fashioned in not having one! lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

evenings only witchy, not sure exactly though but their number is 0115 955 5560 and i think mondays is student night but dont quote me!

Evenings is good, as that is when I want to go. I'll have to see what people says about going.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Sloth

They might actually have changed the days on which they're open. Last time I tried to book a table on a Monday, I got an answering machine. I'm not sure about this, but I think they're open Tuesday to Saturday. I'll find out for sure next time I go.

i just bought some garlic mayola from the health store in west bridgford, this means tonight is pizza with big crusts for dipping!

dont forget people, Dottys cafe REALLY need our support at the moment, half the shops on the Mansfield road have closed already!

what better excuse is there for a chilli burger for lunch followed by lavender cupcake? its supportin the local comminity

I was at Splendour Festival last weekend. As Nottingham is pretty well catered for veggie wise I was looking forward to lovely veg-friendly food stalls. Silly me, eh? The choices were either chips or dubious noodles or fajitas without any of the toppings (i.e. chicken, beef or cheese). There was also a coffee-shop attached to Wollaton Park. They had hummous and roast veg sarnies, and luckily I asked if they used butter as there was no list of ingredients and they did! It always really bugs me when people do that! They did offer to make me one from scratch though, after I stood there looking dejected for a while, and it was quite nice (not £4 for a sandwich nice though).

So, a warning to anyone considering going to future Splendours - bring a packed lunch! Or lobby veggie caterers to put in a bid for a stall
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

the cafe at wollaton hall usually does a lot of veggie food, with some of the emals vegan too. Maybe try emailing the veggies catering campaign to ask if they would take their burger van there next year!

Dottys cafe has closed!

I might need to move from Nottingham now. I am really upset!

Leftlion was suggesting they should move to West End Arcade. Hope the ladies behind Dotty's look into that. Mansfield Road has got more rundown (recession hit?) in the last few months.

Nottingham is still more vegan friendly than a lot of places though.

I know but Dottys was my favourite!

Yes I really wish they would relocate, there is nothing on that road now that id climb the hill for! I will still go to natural foods for my Veggies burger mix, but I have a natural foods in my village so I dont use the Nottingham one so much. (yes i am very very lucky!)

I had another amazing vegan meal in Lantong thai on saturday night. I love that place. They cooked something special 'off the menu' for the kids too who havnt eaten thai food before, the chef came out of the kitchen and she sat down and chatted to them about what they like to eat etc you dont get service like that often do you? xx

Sloth

Quote Hel View Post
    Dottys cafe has closed!

I might need to move from Nottingham now. I am really upset!
    Sorry to add to the upset, but it seems that the future of Squeek may now be uncertain http://www.ellisbta.co.uk/DisplayBus...rea=&OrderBy=1

oh dear

my kids are still mourning dottys, my 6yr old asked if we put some coins through their letterbox everytime we go past will it open up again?

Also Natural Foods has been sold, my local branch isnt even called natural foods anymore! I can no longer get the Veggies burger mix delivered there, I havnt been to the one on Mansfield Rd yet to see if it has changed at all.

Has everyone heard that there is no east midlands vegan fayre this year? Apparently it caused too much wear and tear on the market quare building, so there is an outdoor free food event planned instead. Does anyone else feel like Nottingham is getting less vegan friendly? or am i just on a downer?

not a chef yet

^^ I went into the Mansfield Rd shop on Saturday and it looked the same to me. I hope it's not going to change - it's really handy for getting something to eat in town when I'm bored of the vegan sandwiches in boots.

cxmnz

I left Nottingham about a month or so back, so I don't know if the vegan fayre plans have changed since then, but unfortunately there's no replacement planned for it (for this year at least).

Outside is not an option, as the space is dominated by the (far more profitable) ice rink and various market stalls. There's some questions over the the 'wear and tear' excuse NCC gave about the vegan fayre too, there are some quarters who think it's more ideology than wear and tear behind the cancellation, as there are still a number of other walk in events booked at the council house.

I don't think Nottingham is any more or less vegan friendly than it ever has been - sure there's places like Dotty's closing down which has been a great shame (and potentially Squeek too - though being veggies they weren't ever especially clued up about veganism), but at the same time, there's other new options coming up all the time - like Annie's Burger Shack for instance, and the créperie in West End Arcade which always has a couple of vegan options. Not to mention how many of the regular restaurants would happily cater for vegans without it being a big deal.

There's a little cafe type place in Mansfield, who do vegetarian options, so they may possibly do vegan. I've only ever walked past though. The aroma of garlic is enough to put me off!
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

ooh do you know the name of it at all please lady mozdust? my husband works in Mansfield and although he takes his lunch with him im sure he'd love to know there is an alternative should he fancy it!

Quote Hel View Post
    ooh do you know the name of it at all please lady mozdust? my husband works in Mansfield and although he takes his lunch with him im sure he'd love to know there is an alternative should he fancy it!
    I think it's called Lucys Cafe and the address is 16-17 Market Street.
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

thanks!

where can i get a vegan sunday dinner apart from the alley cafe? is there anywhere?

cxmnz

Quote Hel View Post
    where can i get a vegan sunday dinner apart from the alley cafe? is there anywhere?
    The Old Angel does a vegan sunday roast, if it's as good as the burgers, it will be amazing!

also quick update, Annies burger shack is now at the Navigation not the old angel after the fire. Havnt been yet but i assume there are still all the amazing vegan burgers.

I am still mourning dottys

Crusty Rat

So, so happy. ^^ I went to Squeek with my partner and it was easily the best meal out I've ever had. It was the first time EVER that I've been to a restaurant without being crippled with anxiety.

The resaurant was fairly small and quiet, nicely decorated and comfy. The menu had a vegan side and a vegetarian side, making it easy to choose with confidence. The staff were lovely and friendly. The food was all delicious with unusual (tasty, not weird) combinations and I didn't feel like I had to check if people were staring when my same-sex partner and I tried each other's food. We were gonna go for the full three-course meal each but were pretty stuffed after the second course. However, we just had to try the chocolate and almond tart (Oh. My. Fuck.) so we had one to share. Felt proper ecstatic the whole way through, can't recommend it enough.

Atmosphere 10/10
    Staff 10/10
    Food 10/10

I'm planning a meet-up for Nottingham based vegans on Thursday 29th March in the wonderful Annie's Burger Shack. Find out more here - http://www.vegan-nottingham.co.uk/social.htm - and fill out the contact form to be kept informed - it's only going to happen if enough people sign up!

Sounds great! I may or may not be in Nottingham (might be home for Easter) but if I am I would never pass up a chance to visit Annie's