Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Nottingham

vegandolly

Thumbs up Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

tabitha

Default Vegan Nottingham

Im coming to Mansfield soon to see my family. My dad and brother are adamant that there are no vegan restaurants anywhere (theyre meat eaters!). Does anyone know of some good ones so I can make them eat their words as well as their veggies

Default Re: Vegan Restaurants in Mansfield/Nottingham

For Nottingham, check out NottsVegetarians.

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Ok, not a restaurant but a bakery, a vegetarian bakery, where all the freshly baked produce is vegan. But i was gutted. I was told of the wonderful chocolate gateau, and i thought WOW! But, i got there and the person who expounded the virtues of this said chocolate gateau was just walking out the shop with a great smile, with the last piece!

I did however, manage some carrot cake, very good.

That was The Screaming Carrot, Nottingham, well worth checking out.
    Go early to get gateau!

How strange Ive just placed an order for a 12" double square choc cake from there for my birthday (I tried a slice at Nottingham festival - def v. yummy)

They are ordering it from the vegan shop in Brum for me - cant wait!

Wish i was nearer to Screaming carrot or that they did mail order - the bakewells and slice with no name bars are great too

Alison

veggiesosage

Not sure if this has already been plugged but if you're in Nottingham its worth popping in to the Alley Cafe for lunch. Its just up a little alley way opposite the library which is just off the Market Square. Very relaxed atmosphere, not completely vegan but about 75% there. Only disadvantages are that its small so feels crowded easily and if you're a wheelchair user you're stuffed cos its upstairs.

Quote Kevster
    Ok, not a restaurant but a bakery, a vegetarian bakery, where all the freshly baked produce is vegan. But i was gutted. I was told of the wonderful chocolate gateau, and i thought WOW! But, i got there and the person who expounded the virtues of this said chocolate gateau was just walking out the shop with a great smile, with the last piece!

I did however, manage some carrot cake, very good.

That was The Screaming Carrot, Nottingham, well worth checking out.
    Go early to get gateau!
    Does the gateau look nicer than the carrot cake? I ordered the screaming carrot carrot cake to take into work for a b day next week....
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

tabitha

Default Re: space to rant

Princessemma - Im going to a village nr Nottingham week after next. Is that near you? if it is can you recommend any vegan restaurants in that area.

princessemma

Afraid not, I'm in Redditch in between Birmingham and Worcester.

I still haven't been to those restuarant things yet my mum keeps making excuses for not going.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default Re: Vegan Restaurants in Mansfield/Nottingham

See my website for all the info on Nottingham vegan food:

www.vegan-nottingham.co.uk

There is also a new cafe/restaurant called Cafe Nomad opening at 118 Hucknall Road in April.

Default Vegan Nottingham

I've recently looked into job opportunities in the UK (I live in Canada, but I really want to live / work in England), and I got a few fantastic responses from the Nottingham.

Now my question is this: How vegan friendly, if at all, is Nottingham?

I live out here in the countryside and it's a nightmare. Everyone is hunting, fishing or trapping on the weekends, there's anti-vegan jokes on advertising signs of stores, and I've never met anyone around here who hasn't ridiculed veganism and the very idea of animal rights (I'm not exaggerating. I wish I had to exaggerate!).

Beyond all this whining, my point is that my one condition upon moving to the UK is to find a place where it's a bit better. As a vegan I'll always be an outsider, but I like to hope that there's places where things aren't as bad.

If Nottingham is vegan friendly, fantastic, if not, what are, in your experience, the most vegan friendly places in England?
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 26th, 2006 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Thread merged with old thread. For the most vegan friendly places in England', please start another thread (if it doesn't already exist!) :)

Default Re: Anyone in Nottingham? / Being vegan in Nottingham / vegan-friendly places in Engl

Have you found/spoke to these guys?

http://www.nottsveg.makessense.co.uk

http://www.notthunt.makessense.co.uk

You've also got http://www.leicesterveggies.org.uk/ just down the road from you and Leicester is a very vegan friendly place because of it large Hindu community.

I think you'll find most large towns and cities in the UK pretty vegan friendly.

If you have a look at the distribution of Vegan Society network contacts http://www.activeg.org/map/index.html, I think you'll find, on the whole, where the groups are, are the best places for vegans. The obvious exception being Brighton - very vegan but no group.

(Hit the "Just Groups" on the map filter to only show groups)

Default Re: Vegan Nottingham

Thank you so much for the links! The UK definitely seems more veggie friendly than Canada. I can't wait for the day that I can finally come over.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

I was in Nottingham over the weekend with RachelJune. We had a chance to try out the famous Alley Cafe on two occasions. The first one for a cake and ice-cream and the second one for lunch the following day. I must admit that the whole dining experience at this small place is tough to beat.

The interiors are well presented and suited for any mood. Be aware that seating can often be a problem as this place fills up quickly.

As a vegetarian cafe, it offers many vegan options. The food is stylishly presented and expertly cooked. Food is resonably priced and customer service is excellent. Although I must mention that sometimes it can take a while for your food to arrive during which you can do nothing much apart from drooling.

For lunch I had a tofu burger (accompanied by a portion of potato wedges) and RachelJune had the large "steak"-ish thingie. This was then followed by warm cakes with chocolate and vanilla ice-cream. The burger was probably one of the best I have ever eaten. It was topped with vegan cheese and salad. We were impressed by the ambience and the food. We were told by one of the staff that they are sometimes forced to keep it open late till 1 AM, because it gets busy.

www.alleycafe.co.uk

Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

You are lucky! I went there a few months ago, had a really nice meal and went to go back the next day and it was shut!

But yeah, I'd endorse this place too, foodwise, though I hated the smoking they permitted.
    Vegans go all the way.

That Alley Cafe site screws my browser up - I wish they offered a non-flash version.

For meals in the evening, there is my favourite veggie place ever, in Hockley, 10 mins from Notts town centre.
    It's a little restaurant called Squeek. I've not come accross a website but I can recommend it very highly.
    I've just seen thier Christmas menu too (droooool!).
    Hope that helps for next time you're in the area.

I LOVE ALLEY CAFE It is the best place ever. I also love Squeek, but reserve it for special occassions.

I think Notts is really vego friendly, there is a good variety of health food stores as well as a sprinkling of fabulous restaurants.

I've still yet to really investigate the veg groups etc but the Sumac centre's reputation is awesome as a place for all kinds of activist/awareness groups so if that's your thing you will be sorted.

Ps I am veeeeeeeeeeery intrigued by whats on Squeek's xmas menu: it would be tough to meet the choco banana sundae I had there a couple of weeks ago though...

Quote pixeequeen View Post
    Ps I am veeeeeeeeeeery intrigued by whats on Squeek's xmas menu: it would be tough to meet the choco banana sundae I had there a couple of weeks ago though...
    That looked good. I had the Chocolate tart which was stunning
    I have the Christmas (vegan) menu in front of me. Here goes:

Appitiser.
    Mulled wine/warm spiced fruit punch with Christmas dips and bread.

Starters.
    Mexican spiced fresh tomatoe soup with lime soured soya cream and tortilla chips.
    Roast woodland mushroom and port pate with melba toast.
    Tarlet filled with herb and roast garlic 'cream cheese' and a cranberry and caramelised onion compote.

Mains.
    Chestnut and apple suasages with potatoe and parsnip mash and rich plum gravy.
    Smoked tofu, spinach chickpea and sage en croute with poached red cabbage.
    Black bean, aubergine and leek tagine with polenta gnocchi and a lime and corrander oil.
    Butternut squash, spinach, saffron and pecan tortilla with satsuma and red ppper salad.
    All served with seasonal veg, mash and mandarin, cinnamon and cocoa stuffing.

Mmmm, puddings!
    Chocolate bread and butter pudding.
    Christmas pud with brandy butter.
    Cranberry and mincemeat shortcake with vanilla icecream.

Tempted?

Oh I've come over all a quiver

Squeek Christmas menu starts November 22nd.
    I'm already hungry

I've been to a few places to eat in Nottingham and only the alley cafe comes close.
    The only thing with squeek is they aren't open in the daytime (evenings only) unless you want to book for a party.

I need to go and get something to eat now, this thread is doing my waistline no favours

The Alley Cafe in Nottingham is great, though very squished inside. Haha.

The Alley Cafe do the best soymilkshakes! Mango and vanilla! how much better could it be?
    Twigs and Gravel (what do you eat?)

Went to Beeston today..

Out of this world is MY FAVOURITE SHOP EVER.

MMMMmmmmmm. Anyone else tried the Xmas 07 menu at Squeek?

It is totally amazing - a mezze of 12 dishes with a Middle-Eastern theme. My memory is a bit clouded by the organic Sam Smiths ale, but I'll try to remember some of them. You start with mulled wine and then a tea-cup of soup (forget the flavour - sweet tasting, though) with wholemeal bread and garlic bread. Then, they start bringing more and more little dishes of food to your table. There is cream cheese and sundried tomato wrapped in courgette, tofu wrapped in aubergine, mint and pea couscous, tzatziki sauce, apple-and-something-or-other coleslaw, rosemary roast potatoes, little sweet pastry things, various pates and dips, chilli sauce, mushroom stroganoff, and lots of others I can't remember. There was so much, there wasn't room on the table for all the dishes and we had fun trying to match them all up to the list on the menu. Actually, there seemed to be more on the table than there was supposed to be.
    You get 4 little piece of dessert each - christmas pub, panforte (fruit cake), absolutely delicious fudge cake and apple tart, all with brandy cream. Then you finish with spiced coffee.

My girlfriend was a bit of a wimp appetite-wise, so I made it my mission to clear the table and was absolutely stuffed. I felt so bad that I had to go straight home afterwards!

All the food was included in the price of £24.50 (Drinks are extra). It was absolutely incredible. I think I put on about a stone in weight but I'm dying to go back for more.

Can I have an update please on Nottingham's finest? I'm going to a conference in Nottingham at the beginning of April, and have persuaded my two colleagues (one veggie, one omni) that I will find good places to eat for the evening before and for breakfast in the morning. So it looks like Squeek is a good place for the evening - but what would people recommend for the breakfast venue?

I called the Alley Cafe, and they don't open until 11am - I need to find somewhere where we can get breakfast and get to Triumph Road by about 9.30. We're staying just off Maid Marian Way, but we will have a car with us.

Hi Ruby,
    I think you and your colleagues will really like Squeek. Remember it isn't open Sunday or Monday. If you can't get in there, there are plenty of other places to try.

I honestly can't think of anywhere for you to have breakfast, though to be honest I don't know where non-vegan people go to breakfast other than their hotel or a grim fastfood place. Nowadays I tend to take a food container with cereal/dried fruit and a small soya milk carton and just eat in my room when I am away.

By the way, if you are looking for things to do in the evenings when you are here, check out the listings on this website: http://www.leftlion.co.uk/

Hope you have a great time in our lovely city,
    Adrian

Ooh - thanks for the link, Adrian!

Looking forward to Squeek - so many great recommedations for it.

RR x

So - we had a great meal at Squeek. It was such a treat to have loads of vegan choices on the menu. I had a smoked tofu kebab, then a fricasee thingy with kale and... um... tarragon in the sauce I think. Anyway, it was lovely. The deserts let us down a bit - we shared the sorbets, and they weren't great. My colleague and I said to each other "Oh, you don't get banana sorbet often, I wonder why?" and then we both tried it and went "Ew!" - bananas and sorbet don't go!

Newsflash! There's a new veggie cafe in Nottingham that only opened last week. It is called Dotty's and is on Mansfield Road, opposite the junction with Huntingdon Street. I've not been in yet but apparently it's really nice inside and they have lots of vegan stuff including cupcakes!

In addition to all the places already mentioned, there is also the Crocus Cafe behind the Savoy Cinema in Lenton. Not vegan, but it is vegetarian and fair trade, and pretty reasonably priced and you can always get something vegan there.
    Also, if you don't mind being somewhere that isn't exclusively veg (your mileage may vary) the Broadway Cinema's resturant always has at least one vegan special. And they do soy milk in drinks.

I went to Squeek last night with a mate for dinner and I second what everyone else is saying - it was awesomely fabulous!

Friend is an omni, but she ordered from the vegan menu as well so we could share each other's food (sooooo much choice).

We got a free nibble while looking at the menu (olives in a delish chilli dressing w/ warmed pitta).

Food was gorgeous - I just ate and ate and ate. Managed starter, main and dessert (only just though!) and had to undo my trousers while I drive home

The decoration is ace, really warm and cozy. And the owner (?) was lovely, so friendly and nice

Very much recommended.

Havn't seen this link anywhere, apologies if it is somewhere but I couldn't find it!
    Subject: Vegan Skillshare - Saturday 13th September - please pass on

Vegan Skillshare - Saturday 13th September 2008

A day of practical skill sharing for food-based vegan campaigning,
    from samples on street stalls, through fairs, to running a small
    vegan catering service.

Anyone interested in food campaigning, including supporters of Animal
    Aid, Vegan Society, Viva, Vegetarian Society, Food Not Bombs, Climate
    Campaigners, Eco Activists, Peace Campaigners and anyone working for
    Social Justice will find this a valuable opportunity for networking
    and the sharing of practical skills and experiences.

A program of talks and workshops designed to guide you from your first
    tentative steps into food campaigning through to a more organised and
    adventurous level of activity. Arrivals welcome from 10am, or arrange
    to join at the appropriate time in the structured timetable.

For more details, or to register your interest, please contact
    alex@saac.org.uk or 07846 739197

Veggies Catering Campaign / Sumac Centre
    245 Gladstone Street, Nottingham, NG7 6HX
    Ph: 0845 458 9595 / 0115 960 8254 / 0787 086 1837 . Email: info@veggies.org.uk
    [Map at http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/map.html - Accessible entrance
    at back door at 73 Beech Avenue]

Timetable

* 10.30 - First arrivals, tea, coffee, snacks and social chit-chat.

* 11.15 - Vegan Campaigning 101
    Including:
    o - Where to start? Info stalls / Leaflets etc. Why vegan
    campaign at all?
    o - The law and street stalls.
    o - Dealing with all sorts! Tried and tested ways of dealing
    with all manner of enquiries or responses from friendly to hostile.
    o - Resources at your disposal.
    o - Forming your own group
    o Workshop lead by Nottingham Animal Rights

* 12.00 - Vegan Society & Campaigning
    A brief introduction to food-based campaigns by the Vegan
    Society, how they can help, and the resources available.

Later arrivals (seasoned activists probably need not attend the
    first talk!)

* 12.30 - Behind the scenes
    A tour of a Veggies Catering Trailer

* 12.45 - 13.45 - Food By Veggies!

* 13.45 - Food Glorious Food
    An introduction to food as a campaigning tool; free food
    giveaways, food fayres, sampling, getting food donations. etc.

* 15.00 - Beyond Vegan Campaigning
    Linkup & mutual support for other movements for change,
    including Food Not Bombs etc.

* 16.00 - So you want to be a vegan caterer?
    Catering for other events, and getting the vegan message out
    there! [Veggies Crew]

* 17.00 - (Don't) Kill it, cook it, eat it
    D-I-Y hands-on practical workshops in preparing a variety of
    foods (including 'Pop My Cherry' Vegan cakes) suitable for giveaway
    events. Then enjoy the fruit of your labours!

* 18.30 - People's Kitchen
    Join Sumac supporters and the local community in sharing the
    meal prepared earlier.

* 19.30 - Vegan Social at Sumac
    inc. video, live bands (tbc), vegan karaoke, open-decks disco,
    pure vegan bar at Nottingham's vegan social centre.

* Sunday - Vegan Breakfast Fry-up at the Sumac Cafe
    You are welcome to stay over - bring a sleeping bag!

Details from http://www.veggies.org.uk/event.php?ref=1347

soundz good
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Wow, that looks really good & I like that you can bring a sleeping bag and stay over
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

You Notts Veegs are so spoilt! I was in Nottingham for a couple of days this week, and had the Christmas Mezze menu at Squeek. I can honestly say that this was the best restaurant vegan meal I have ever had in my life: better than Cafe Maitreya in Bristol, better than Mildreds in London. Absolutely fan-tas-tic. Went with a veggie colleague and had - can't remember them all - mulled wine to start; tomato, orange and sherry soup; aubergine rolled around smoked tofu, a vol-au-vent with ginger chutney, carrot and parsnip; a roasted pepper "boat"; moroccan hummus; bruschetta; mushroom, sage and chestnut stroganoff; spiced red cabbage; parsnip and sun dried tomato pate; roasted potatoes; caponata; green salad and dressing; pea and mint couscous... and others. And 4 puddings. Oh man! Gluttony heaven! Worth every penny twice over!

I so envy you guys - but then, if I lived in Nottingham, I think they'd be calling the fire brigade to knock down the wall to get me out of the house I'd be so huge!

Hi

I'm off to Nottingham this weekend to visit some friends and relations. They've booked a curry house called Kayal who say they have vegan options. I'm a little wary as I didn't talk to them myself. Does anyone know about this place? Is the food any good and can they be trusted to serve me vegan food?

cheers

Prawnil

Yes, and yes!

Quote Prawnil View Post
    Yes, and yes!
    Thanks Prawnil

Prawnil

I found one of these today.
    Calling all Vegetarians & Vegans
    Its time for a big meet (Without Meat)

To mark National Vegetarian Week, Veggies from all over Nottingham are having a big picnic on Sunday 24th May

Join us, 2pm around the band stand in the arboretum
    Bring food to share.
    Invite all the veggies you know

If on the day the weather is unsuitable for a picnic, the event will be moved to
    The Sumac Centre
    245 Gladstone Street
    Forest Fields
    Nottingham

For any info, ring Dave 07951304652
    With any luck it won't just be an opportunity for preemptive mass arrest.

Sloth

Quote Prawnil View Post
    With any luck it won't just be an opportunity for preemptive mass arrest.
    o_0 hahaha

Thumbs up Re: Vegan Nottingham

Nottingham now has a branch of Shakeaway! If you've ever been to the Bristol Vegan Fayre you'll know what fantastic news that is. It's right on the Market Square, on my way home from work

oh im craving a dottys burger now!

does everyone know that the lan tongthai on parliament street (hockley end - upper?) has a seperate vegan menu? very very good food and service!

we used to love squeek but the last time we went the food was very well presented but seemed to lack flavour

Quote adrian View Post
    Nottingham now has a branch of Shakeaway! If you've ever been to the Bristol Vegan Fayre you'll know what fantastic news that is. It's right on the Market Square, on my way home from work
    these are ovely but almost a fiver for a milkshake is outrageous, we should petition them that the vegan ones should be the same price as dairy ones i think!

Prawnil

At least the Squeek menu has or will tick over. The last few times I've been it's been brilliant. I find it's only ever lacking anything when the owner isn't in. I enjoy his style. Absolutely polite and friendly/on the brink of a nervous breakdown.
    Never been to dotty's. How're the prices? And, shit, I didn't know that about lan tonthai. Thank you.

Dotty's is pretty cheap, say 30% cheaper than Alley but different style

Lantong Thai is around £7-£9 for a main course. Its a bit hidden, opposite Oceana hellhole.

I live in Nottinghamshire. I never eat out because i can never find anywhere!

And vegan food usually has garlic in which I cannot eat! AGH!
    "Shall we get a pig for the shop? Do we need one?!"

Sloth

I finally went to Dotty's for the first time a few days ago. >_< ...The CAKES! nom nom. Also, the atmosphere in there was entirely different to other vegetarian cafes I've been to around here as it completely lacked the pretentious feel that can make somewhere seem unfriendly.
    I saw Squeek mentioned too...I've probably rambled about the before, but just to reiterate, I -love- the place ^_^

Prawnil

But Dotty's might be on its last legs! Oh no!!

I've never heard of any of these places in Notts! Are they terribly expensive?
    "Shall we get a pig for the shop? Do we need one?!"