Thread: 0.1 mcg. Vitamin B12/149g strawberries?

Default 0.1 mcg. Vitamin B12/149g strawberries?

From http://www.sweettechnology.com/strawberry.htm

"Nutritional value of 1 cup of strawberries (149 gr.):
    45 calories (kcal)
    1 gr. protein
    10.5 gr. carbohydrates
    0.6 gr. fat (0 gr. of saturated fat)
    1.6 gr. fiber
    3 RE Vitamin A
    84.5 mg Vitamin C
    0.1 mg Thiamin
    0.1 mg Riboflavin
    0.4 mg Niacin
    0.1 mg Vitamin B6
    0.1 mcg. Vitamin B12
    26.4 mcg. Folic Acid
    2 mg Sodium
    21 mg Calcium
    0.6 mg Iron
    247 mg Potassium
    0.2 mg Zinc
    16 mg Magnesium"
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

tails4wagging

Default Re: B12 in strawberries?

I love strawberries and they are now in our shops. English ones will be out soon.

I make strawberry jam, does cooking them take out the goodness in them??

probably, it takes out the goodness in most foods.

however, i am making some strawb jam this year and at least i know exactly what is in it, nothing has been taken out of it and it hasnt been 'fiddled' with in any way with secret additions..

Quote tails4wagging
    I make strawberry jam, does cooking them take out the goodness in them??
    There are various theories about how cooking will reduce B12. Some claim that cooking will destroy almost all the B12 in a plant, others will say that most of it will survive...

There are also many other factors that will influence the possible B12 level in strawberries, like the cobalt status of the soil they have grown in, if the water that has been used to water the plants is chlorinated, if you wash them before you eat them, if you wash them in chlorinated before you eat them, if you drink chlorinated water with the strawberries (or eat sugar/drink coffee...) and so on. According to the source I quoted, one serving contains 0.1 mcg B12, but the truth might be that they contain more, because the process that often is used to test food for B12 includes heating the food first. Plus, how fresh are the strawberries - have the been exposed to a lot of light after they have been picked?

Dr. Victor Herbert said that most healthy people needed only 0.1 mcg pr day, which is exactly what you might get from that cup of strawberries - or not. We probably need a little more than 0.1 mcg pr. day.

Wild animals do well without B12 supplements, and they are known to prefer fresh, organic strawberries without sugar .

The values given for B12 in plants often vary from source to source (the same is true for animal products). Eating eggs are sometimes listed as a reliable B12 source, but I have for example read that an egg contains 0.5 mcg B12 one place, while another source claimed that it had 0.1 mcg. Cheese is also listed as a good B12 source, but the values vary here as well (this site, for example, about pregnancy and veg'nism, says that 1 ounce (28 g) of cheese contains 0.2 mcg B12, while others disagree. They're probably all correct, because why should all cheese (or all strawberries) have the same B12 levels...