View Poll Results: What's the best place to be vegan in UK?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • London

56 35.00%
  • Bristol

17 10.63%
  • Brighton

38 23.75%
  • Manchester

5 3.13%
  • Edinurgh

7 4.38%
  • Birmingham

2 1.25%
  • Liverpool

0 0%
  • Norwich

6 3.75%
  • Glasgow

9 5.63%
  • Blackpool

0 0%
  • Worcester

0 0%
  • Dover

1 0.63%
  • Newcastle

1 0.63%
  • Portsmouth

1 0.63%
  • Southhampton

0 0%
  • Sheffield

1 0.63%
  • Cardiff

0 0%
  • Leeds

4 2.50%
  • Blackpool

0 0%
  • Essex

0 0%
  • Cornwall

1 0.63%
  • Cambridge

1 0.63%
  • Plymouth

0 0%
  • Leicester

4 2.50%
  • Nottingham (added to the poll April-08)

6 3.75%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the best place to be vegan in the UK

Default the best place to be vegan in the UK

just wondering if anyone had any opinions on where in the UK it is easiest to be vegan...
    for eating out, vegan societies, groceries, etc etc
    or do you think it makes no difference

Default Re: the best place to be vegan in the UK

Id say both London and Bristol get my vote for places to eat/shop and for meeting other vegans. Birmingham is getting better, and Worcesters not bad!

Alison

I'd say that Brighton has to be in the top 10 for the country. Leicester is pretty good, especially if you like spicy food - we have lots of pure vegetarian indian places.

How could i forget Brighton ive never been but really am determined to get there one day!

Brighton for eating out - without a doubt!

and buying shoes...

Brighton gets my vote.

It's fairly easy where I live
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I have been to many parts in UK. Most places are fine.

I can however name the worst place for vegans in UK (IMO) - Scarborough!! I'm gonna take my own food, the next time I go there.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

The worst place ever has got to be here, Northern Ireland, we are part of the United Kingdom so I just thought I'd say!

Manchester is cool coz we have the Basement cafe and vegan shop, Eighth Day cafe and grocery store and the 'fantastic all vegan couldn't live without it' Unicorn Grocery store

sugarmouse

I have always found manchester ok.here its more difficult but i cook my own food most of the time..and when I eat out i find it limits me..but its worth it..im kinda glad sometimes cos i struggle with my weight and if i do eat out its usually salad!

Maisie, you're making me jealous!

Quote sandra View Post
    The worst place ever has got to be here, Northern Ireland, we are part of the United Kingdom so I just thought I'd say!
    One of my very good friends lives in Northern Ireland (Bangor) and I do struggle when I go over to visit. She is getting married this year and out of over 100 guests (many around my age - 27) I was not surprised to be the only vegan, but there is only one vegetarian too!!!

We had a barbecue last weekend and out of 38 guests - 12 were vegetarian!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I hope your friend has a lovely day Holly and that you have a great time too! Hopefully though, you will have better luck at getting a proper meal at the reception than I have had recently. We went out for a family meal with relatives from Canada, despite me and my husband visiting the restaurant several days before to explain what I would like, things didn't go well. I was given a very large plate with about 10 baby potatoes in their jackets rolling around on it, and a small side dish consisting of limp salad leaves and some tiny pickled onions! Yuk!
    This had to be eaten with the smell of my Uncle's dish of prawns and other fish wafting across the table to me! I still found myself smiling and saying to the waiter, 'I hope this wasn't too much trouble for the chef?'
    Hopefully, he realised I was being just a little sarcastic.

Thank you!! Yes - your restaurant experience sounds very familiar! Potatoes and salad every time!

Debs knows she is dead if I don't get a proper reception meal though (only joking!) I am actually more worried about the wine...do you think it would be terribly rude to bring some over with me and let the hotel staff have it on the morning and get them to put it at my place on the table ready?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

That sounds like a good idea! I don't know though if it might be different with wine, but I actually suggested to the place I was at that I would bring my own food but they said no, something to do with health and safety. I think it's to protect themselves incase you got ill while eating at their restaurant, but again it might be different with wine.
    If you found out before hand though what wine they will be serving at the reception you could check up yourself to see if it is suitable. All the best and I hope you all have a lovely day!

Good idea - thanks!

I think pretty much any city is the best place to be vegan. Personally I'd rank it by which place has the best access to vegan products and the distribution of such products countrywide is now very good.

I'm not too fussed about resturants and take away food - to me they're novelty/special occassion things and I don't mind travelling at such times. I'd hate to turn into someone who relies on preprepared food as it's generally a lot more expensive and less healthy.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Sandra and Holly 78, I get a baked squash and tomato sauce every f.....g time I go out as the vegan option, they are totally obsessed. The next time this dish is placed in front of me my head will spin like the exorcist!!!
    I'd love potatoes and salad as a change from this tedium, I hate squash now!

Brighton is brilliant for vegans but oh so expensive!
    Silent but deadly :p

Hehe, Hemlock you remind me of the period of 2-3 years where I would get offered butternut squash risotto every time I went to a fancy restaurant. It was okay the first couple of times, but after a while my look of bored disgust had restaurant workers backing away from me shortly after the dreaded words had passed their lips

GoatBoy

well it goes without saying that london is the land of cosmopolitan for uk so you you always find somthing you need. the best parts are camden, neals yard, portobello road and brick lane.

other than that brighton it great, and i found edinburgh to be fantastic. many good places for fellafel and a non profit eco friendly cafe near the guilded balloon. menu is 100% vegetarian and almost completely vegan, dead cheap too with friendly staff.

plus did you know serve vegan haggis almost everywhere?

lol Hemlock, I'd love to be there when your head starts spinning round!

dresdown

i hear there is some where up london where you pay £5 and eat as much vegan food as you like

anyone know what its called

GoatBoy

nearest tube? i need to know the vicinity

there's loads of those £5 buffets in London now, they are really breeding. We were wandering through Soho & Covent Garden areas the other day and there was one around every corner. Getting that way around Tottenham Court Road too!

PygmyGoat

I found it dead easy in Brighton and in Liverpool when I lived in both places . I think part of the reason it was so easy is the great network of other Vegans in those places.

It's 'hard' in Northern (rural) Scotland in that there are NO places to eat out, a 90 mile trip to a health food shop, and some things cannot be mail ordered to my address .

To keep things in perspective, though, it's not very hard or impossible to be Vegan in many places, really, is it?. Just depends on your expectations. There are not all that many places where you can't get plant and cereal foods.

I suppose there are lots of things you can make yourself, at home, if you've got the time! from things that can be stored in bulk... ie I just read how to make soya milk, tofu, and okara, from dried soybeans, and pretty much all beans and lentils and split peas and all that can be bought dried or tinned and will last ages. I think if you can make a trip to a health food place just a couple of times a year, you can be stocked up with what you need and just have to buy fruit and veg really! But you'd need to have enough time for making all that bread and milk etc...! That's women used to stay at home instead of working, it was before convienience food!

Demon

I was pleasantly surprised visiting Norwich recently. Several (part) vegan cafes and restaurants including one selling vegan & eco friendly supplies.

Not a place, but I've found as you travel north, chip-shop chips start to be cooked in beef fat . You can probably draw a line accross the country, but I don't know where it starts. Yes I know I should avoid them anyway for health and contamination reasons.

Is there a listing anywhere for where to go in Norwich?? I'd really appreciate the info!!

Demon

Hi Jamie

I compiled a list before I went from various sources. If you pm me your email address I'll send you a copy.

Leigh

Best (as far as i'm aware) Brighton
    Worst - Gosport! (Where I live!)
    ~xx

Went to Edinburgh for 3 days the other week, ate in 6 veggie places from dirt cheap (Forest, Engine Shed, Veggie Baked Potato Shop), through reasonable priced (Suzies Diner), to more expensive (Ana Purna, Hendersons) and still had 4 more places to visit next time, plus lots of half veggie places like falafel outlets.

Excellent place all round.

Quote Kiran View Post
    I can however name the worst place for vegans in UK (IMO) - Scarborough!! I'm gonna take my own food, the next time I go there.
    Well strangely enough it will soon have a veggie and vegan restaurant! I was at Sagar in Twickenham last week with the sister of the woman who is setting it up!
    It is certainly needed there but Blackpool is pretty bad too!

I think St Helens must be up there on the list of the worst places to be vegan. my parents live there and we were supposed to be going out for a meal there recently - i rang around about 10 restaurants and I couldn't get anything like a decent vegan meal - i would have loved a butternut squash risotto but I think thats a bit too adventurous for the north west!
    we ended up going for a curry (which for all i know contained animal fat as I had given up trying by then)

luckily, Worcester (where I live now) is much more vegan friendly!

Poll added. Let us know if we missed a place which should have been mentioned...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I' ve found Sheffield pretty good for buying vegan food but I don't eat out enough to judge it for that. Sheffield University Student Union has a bar/cafe which labels vegan options

I've never been in another city long enough to be able to say whether it is the best though.

Can you add Leicester Korn? I know it won't win but it's got some pretty decent places to eat
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Done!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Kevster

London for sheer variety i reckon by a way, after that Brighton, Bristol, Sheffield does alright, Manchester.....

Kevster

Cambridge? Really?

Brighton gets my vote, fantastic choice for its size
    Die Schnecken sind meine Freunden!

I think London has to win for variety and numbers. Birmingham is ok but I do think as the second biggest city that it would have more vegetarian/vegan restaurants. Apart from the Warehouse Cafe and some Indian/Pakistani restaurants there isn't anywhere I can think of that is exclusively vegetarian/vegan? Worcester is far better in my opinion and a fraction of the size!

As we're moving to Yorkshire next year I'm hoping Leeds is a good vegan place to be.
    Silent but deadly :p

I guess London is a much expensive place to live than Brighton - but how much? How much is a an average three room apartment (buy or rent) in London, and how much is it in Brighton?

I think house prices and cost of living in Brighton is fairly similar to many parts of London.

But obviously prices across London vary a great deal and to live centrally in both is way more expensive than to live a bit further out.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Korn View Post
    I guess London is a much expensive place to live than Brighton - but how much? How much is a an average three room apartment (buy or rent) in London, and how much is it in Brighton?
    It all depends where of course.

In my suburb a one bedroom flat is nearly £200,000 and you won't be able to park anywhere near your home. Purpose built flats with parking seem to settle around £250,000 to £300,000. A four bedroom semi detached house will set you back £450,000 and upwards. Cheaper homes are available but the problem areas are really concentrated around here so it comes with some risk both personally and financially.

Many London Boroughs are similar, although we have an unusual amount of premium property locally, as well as fifteen minute fast trains to London. Low crime and pollution certainly seem to add to the appeal, even if the area is soul-less.

The upshot of the buy-to-let boom is that there is a surplus of affordable rents. A one bedroom flat with allocated parking, secure entrance and a short walk a mainline station and shops can be rented for £700pm which is less than some mortgages on the properties!

Some stats:

Average Property Selling Prices in Brighton Jan 2008

Detached £550,792
    Semi £301,259
    Terraced £301,598
    Flat £197,691
    All £277,179

Average Property Selling Prices in London Jan 2008 (average across all boroughs)

Detached £907,844
    Semi £508,955
    Terraced £512,120
    Flat £330,052
    All £418,137

Average Property Selling Prices in Abbey Wood Jan 2008 (affordable urban)

Detached no data
    Semi £227,500
    Terraced £188,556
    Flat £120,125
    All £175,500

Average Property Selling Prices in Richmond Jan 2008 (desirable suburban)

Detached £1,325,000
    Semi £700,445
    Terraced £571,407
    Flat £307,980
    All £443,693

Our flat in Brighton cost twice as much as our house in Croydon!

8 year gap though, so prices had risen - still a bit hard to swallow though!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ouch! Worth it though

It was the cheapest flat we looked at but luckily the one we liked the most!

Tin-Tin

i dont have a best place
    but ESSEX def has to go down as one of the worst surely???