View Poll Results: What's the best place to be vegan in UK?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • London

56 35.00%
  • Bristol

17 10.63%
  • Brighton

38 23.75%
  • Manchester

5 3.13%
  • Edinurgh

7 4.38%
  • Birmingham

2 1.25%
  • Liverpool

0 0%
  • Norwich

6 3.75%
  • Glasgow

9 5.63%
  • Blackpool

0 0%
  • Worcester

0 0%
  • Dover

1 0.63%
  • Newcastle

1 0.63%
  • Portsmouth

1 0.63%
  • Southhampton

0 0%
  • Sheffield

1 0.63%
  • Cardiff

0 0%
  • Leeds

4 2.50%
  • Blackpool

0 0%
  • Essex

0 0%
  • Cornwall

1 0.63%
  • Cambridge

1 0.63%
  • Plymouth

0 0%
  • Leicester

4 2.50%
  • Nottingham (added to the poll April-08)

6 3.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the best place to be vegan in the UK

Default Re: the best place to be vegan in the UK

Quote Tin-Tin View Post
    i dont have a best place
    but ESSEX def has to go down as one of the worst surely???
    Do you ever head into London? There are a number of us who live a train ride from the big smoke and personally I find it helps me deal with the total non-veganness of where I live.

Tin-Tin

i would if i could
    but to be completely honest
    i cant afford it
    with being a student and all at university
    my course actually costs me loads
    so im stuck here a lot of the time
    but i do head into london on the holidays usually

cobweb

i don't see a problem with anywhere in the U.K - it's easy being vegan these days.

Quote Tin-Tin View Post
    i dont have a best place
    but ESSEX def has to go down as one of the worst surely???
    Yeah..it's so goddam hard to eat out.
    I spend lots of time in London now and I love how easy it is to find convenience food!

sheffield is pretty good,we have a really good cafe thats just for veggie and vegans,there are a few good places now.

Can Nottingham have a mention for poll purposes? It's not top, but there's a lot going on here that deeserves it's attention.

My brother lives in Brighton and I am finally going for a proper visit in August (I am literally always that skint that I have never even visited my own brother in the last 3 years or so....) when he graduates stroke 2. He's promised us a trip to some vegan-esque place, so how cool will this be!

I should probably get him a card...
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

I've added Nottingham now...

Very efficient Korn! Thanks!
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

I think Cardiff is pretty versatile. Although there is a huge meat-eating population, there is also vegetarian/vegan restaurants.

I voted Nottingham, purely because it has the widest range of vegetarian/vegan cafes, health food shops and so on out of the places i've lived in the last decade. We have, after all, got a vegan bar, plus a new veggie cafe just opened last week. (Dottie's on Mansfield Road - haven't had time to try it yet but everyone who has seems to like it)

Quote pixeequeen View Post
    I should probably get him a card...
    Nah, save your money for all the vegan food and cake!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I voted Brighton, for its size i think it offers the best choice, although london has a wider choice.

But my favourite place by some distance is Edinburgh, it a fab place with a huge range of places to eat and stay for vegans
    I dont get crunchy people?

HA!!! NOT Salford!!! . . . . I'll get my coat! :|

I voted Cornwall, theres such an abundance of fruit and veg. There are a few health food stores, but you can buy alot of food online.

Although there are hardly any vegan societies, well, to be honest, theres hardly anything in cornwall anyway, apart from vegan societies. People seem to be more tolerent of it here aswel.

Although, I was going to vote for London, my parents live there, and there are loads of groups and health food stores.

I thought i'd vote for cornwall though, its not such a bad place

Edinburgh! It has Henderson's!

In my (albeit limited) experience, Glasgow really has a lot going for it. There are a handful of pure vegan restauraunts and a bunch more veg*n ones. Around the university area, there's a meaty-restauraunt that has vegan things marked on the menu, and even the starbucks has a vegan wrap and a vegan panini (both falafel) which I haven't seen anywhere else. A bunch of health food stores, and a veggie deli also help. I think given the size of the population in Glasgow, and the obviously smaller vegan population, we're really over-catered for (if there is such a thing)

Quote Declan View Post
    In my (albeit limited) experience, Glasgow really has a lot going for it.
    Have to agree! Was there recently, and the choice of eateries was just overwhelming. Awesome stuff.

The 78: socks = rocked!!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Have to agree! Was there recently, and the choice of eateries was just overwhelming. Awesome stuff.

The 78: socks = rocked!!
    The 78 indeed does rock socks. Especially the dark chocolate torte. Every time I go there I eat one and every time I feel so full and sick that I promise I'll never eat another one but they're just tooooo tempting!!

I forgot to mention the vegan night club too, The Flying Duck, run by the same person as the 78 (and Mono and Stereo - the guy has a slight monopoly on Glasvegans) and as well as the vegan drinks and veneral atmosphere, there's also FREE TOAST with vegan butter, it's great.

FREE TOAST???!!! !!!

I have to glasgow if there's a place that does free toast!!

How come York isn't on the list as an option hehe

Anyway, now my all vegan shop in in York and just a 5minute walk from an all vegan restaurant and a couple of other places that cater for vegans , I'd say York, but maybe that's becuase I'm biast lol hehehehehe

Totnes, South Devon is full of alternative people and hippies, it is a small town but has 3 health food shops, one of them in particular is big and has lots of vegan stuff. Not sure about eating out, but def has one really good vegan/veggie restaurant.
    I think Glastonbury being a hippy town is easy for vegans too, probably ALL veggie cafes there I imagine!

Brighton's got to be one of the best places. So many places to eat, good health food shops, a veggie pub and home to vegetarian Shoes. I visit whenever I can and spend far too much money.

Quote AliBlack View Post
    I think Glastonbury being a hippy town is easy for vegans too, probably ALL veggie cafes there I imagine!
    People do tend to make an effort where hippy types (like me!) gather, the National Trust restaurant at Avebury sells vegan cake and sandwiches and you can get soya milk for your tea and coffee.

Lets hear it for Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire.

pathologist

My local areas are Manchester andTtodmorden/Hebden bridge, both of which are super (I live between the two). But I have several places i go for the odd holiday week. One is the South West - when I always visit Glastonbury/Avebury and I was amazed to find the Soya milk at the latter national trust cafe - as mentioned above. I usually book a lunch at the Shekinashram at Glastonbury - wonderful food!) Bath is also lovely with both demuths and the Metropolitan cafe, both of which usually have some vegan options. My other holiday destination is London when I usually take the odd trip to Brighton, which is mentioned above. But surely - London has to be the very best place - not only are there all those cafes but there are the actual shoe shops (I'm afraid that's important for me)

I was gonna moan that my city isn't on the map, but then it isn't exactly 'Vegansville' anyway.

I've not been on holiday or stayed overly long in any of those (i did live in Lincoln. It sucked).

Just out of interest, Exeter (where i live) we do have a veggie restruant that has plenty of vegan options, Boston Tea Party (coffee house) always have vegan cakery stuff - from muffins to flapjacks as well as vegan options on their menu. MOst of it is organic and fairtrade, as well. It changes daily. (No, i don't work there :P but i spend lots of time there - coffee, soffffaaas and wiiifiii = count me in!)

The Phoenix Arts Centre also have vegan options on their menu.

Wow. i sound like a tourist information stand.
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

We like vegan tourist information on this board d0od!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

surely brighton is top place to be especially with the brighton vegan fayre a month away, the poster looks wicked good
    http://www.myspace.com/veganbristol

Norwich! It has everything I need and although options for eating out are limited what is available is good honest vegan fayre. Veggieland offers the best vegan chinese buffet ever and its cheap. Beware though as some produce for sale in the freezer contains egg! For a sit down lunch the greenhouse is superb with friendly staff, vegan mains and cakes, a health store and lots of green living info and help.
    Stores worth mentioning are rainbow, the greengrocers, holland and barrett, the farm store on wroxham road and the organic stall in the market.
    Theres also wholefood world and mangreen just to the south (where I live).

My sister lives in Norwich and whenever I've been there its been great and more vegan stuff is there each time I go. We always go to the vegan place near the market square with the restaurant upstairs and the shop at the bottom.

Its a really pretty city too way more vegan friendly than grey old Southampton

Quote f2097 View Post
    My sister lives in Norwich and whenever I've been there its been great and more vegan stuff is there each time I go. We always go to the vegan place near the market square with the restaurant upstairs and the shop at the bottom.

Its a really pretty city too way more vegan friendly than grey old Southampton
    I love Norwich for it's vegan options! The place you're talking about is the Pulse cafe, right? Next to rainbow wholefoods?
    There's also an amazing vegan chinese/thai style buffet-take out. You fill a tub up with as much as you want and take it away, the food is to die for, even better, it's 100% vegan.

London gets my vote. It doesn't have 'Vegetarian Shoes', like Brighton, but then Brighton doesn't have Pogo.

I can say that, after living in London and Brighton, Canterbury, Glasgow and Reading are among the worse places where a vegan can go....
    And coming form Italy, I would say pretty much everywhere in my country vegans are not very welcomed......

Quote De Monick View Post
    I can say that, after living in London and Brighton, Canterbury, Glasgow and Reading are among the worse places where a vegan can go....
    And coming form Italy, I would say pretty much everywhere in my country vegans are not very welcomed......
    Erm... we have 4 vegan restaurants in Glasgow. When was the last time you visited?

I'm with jimmeh on that one - Glasgow's a brilliant place to be vegan!

Uuuhhhh..I was last year about August.........In the centre as I was working at house of Fraser for a couple of day.......Maybe I just been unlucky......

Within 5 minutes walk of House of Fraser is Stereo (fully vegan), Mono (fully vegan) and the 13th Note (veg*n). You're welcome to come back and try them some time!

I will definitively try them all if back to Glasgow.......

I've not heard of Edinurgh before
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Manchester is pretty good these days for vegan eating out options

I LOVE Dough dairy free pizza.
    We also have odd/er/est for vegan brekkie, 8th day (altho i'm not a fan), Earth cafe, Oklahoma, This 'n' That curry cafe, Ning and Tai Wu.
    Takeaway/fast food - bar burritto (the one on Deansgate is best), the falafel place in the Village (i think its called Safar) and Falafel in Rusholme.

If you're lucky/rich enough to live in Chorlton (South Manchester) there is the wonderful Unicorn vegan co-op which has a brilliant hotdog stand outside at weekends.
    Yeopan's for the takeaway (i heart the spicy mock chicken with a passion) there's also a new place opened up called On The Corner which has lots of vegan options and cupcakes sat along side vinyl and cds to browse thru (heaven)

But i think you just have to look. I moved out of the city recently to a little town near Bolton and one of the greasy spoons does a great veg breakfast (no egg for me thanks!) x

Anywhere where I can buy the Go Max Go bars as and when I want!

Seriously, though...(which I was being!)... Norwich isn't too bad. We've got the Loving Hut, and *spit* Pulse *spit*, Rainbow Wholefoods, and The Greenhouse. The Greenhouse is fabulous - I can get the Organica Couverture bar there (of which I bought 12 the other week! Was for Hallowe'en baking...) and the White Chocolate bar, and loads of choice for cakes and food in the cafe. It's a really nice place to go.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

i agree completely! london is fantastic for vegans i love going to london cos i know theres always veggi resterants and organic shops that sell vegan sandwiches (the best i found was in camden if you come out of the underground station, turn left and instead of going into the town go to the crossing where the loos are and go up that road, it's up there somewhere sell very yummy vegan choc cake too!)
    is there still clarkes resterant in covent garden btw? i went there as a kid and it was great.

as for brighton, i didn't struggle their either when i visited! the chip shop on the pier cooks with veg oil (i asked) and terre a terre is the best veggie resterant i've ever been to! a little expensive but excellent quality and the guys working there couldn't do enough to please me!!

Quote AliBlack View Post
    Totnes, South Devon is full of alternative people and hippies, it is a small town but has 3 health food shops, one of them in particular is big and has lots of vegan stuff. Not sure about eating out, but def has one really good vegan/veggie restaurant.
    The health food shops in Totnes are fantastic but the eating out here is a bit limited considering how alternative it is. But I like that even the local corner shops sell rice dream, tofu and various vegan products - they at least understand the local population!!!

Hi BellaRuns, welcome. Do you live in Totnes then?

I've always wanted to go there but I must admit I thought it would be a hotbed of vegetarian and vegan restaurants. Is it true, as I was reading somewhere, that a lot of people wear funny shoes there, and are they vegan shoes (she asked hopefully!)?

Hi Harpy, thanks for the welcome.

Yes I've been in Totnes for 9 years now, for a small town it has 4 health shops, one is like a mini supermarket, Greenlife, plus other high street food stores sells loads of vegan products. But there is only one veggie/vegan restaurant, Willow which I've always found a bit strange considering how alternative and green the town is!!!

And yes lots of funny shoes, mostly due to Conker shoes (hand made local shop) but unfortunately it's leather!!!

You should definitely visit Totnes. I guess I'm so used to it now to notice how different it is lol!!!

Yes I really must, Bella, it sounds great. Sounds as if there could be some business opportunities there regarding vegetarian restaurants, and non-leather shoes, too

I seem to remember that for a while Totnes had the only surviving branch of Cranks (a long-established wholefood chain that expanded rather quickly and then spontaneously combusted) but it sounds as if that's not there any more?

Funnily enough I ordered some stuff from Greenlife's website only the other week.

Harpy, Totnes definitely has business opportunity potential written all over it!!! Go for it!!!

Cranks is still here, it's in Dartington (a village on the outskirts of Totnes). It's part of the Cider Press Centre but open only during the day. I was there last week and enjoyed a sugar-free, gluten-free vegan apple slice with a chai tea latte soy milk!

And Greenlife is fab but it is the most expensive of all the health shops here. I must say they hire very friendly and informative staff!!

Wow, lucky you! Lovely part of the world. I don't remember struggling at all for food - the very first pub I walked into had vegan and raw items marked on the menu etc, AFAICR. Mind you, wasn't there for an awfully long time.

Met some great hippy type folk and all ;p

Mmmm, local travel bug is looming....

ooh which pub was that then Gwydion, or where was it. I must say that most places I've eaten at here have been pretty accommodating and if I call up in advance they always do something!!

and yeah hippies everywhere, there is some fantastic fashion going on round here! When I first moved down here it was the first time in my life I felt way too normal lol!!

Quote BellaRuns View Post
    ooh which pub was that then Gwydion, or where was it.
    Ooohh, now you are asking for some cranks to be turned! I'll try do some digging and get back to you.

Roughly recall: Up the 'highstreet', past the arch, sort of in the middle/on the corner before the street bears left (ie carry on up and you reach the veggie/vegan eatery). Does any of this make sense? Haha. I also seen to recall a fancyish restaurant on the riverfront offering a vegan burger - although it wasnt all that.

Anyway, I'll dig in a bit.