Thread: Anyone know of a milk alternative that

Vegan_baby

Default Anyone know of a milk alternative that

does'nt taste like old shoes and beans ?

I have now had my limit with "soy milk" because it is offensive to me. Tonight I tried "rice milk" (Ryza) and it was horrible !!

We can put a man on the moon but we can't make a milk substitute that does'nt taste nasty ??

If you love soy milk and rice milk then more power to you. You could'nt pay me to drink it. What I'm hoping to do is connect with people that ALSO hate the stuff and have found a decent replacement.

Thanks alot !!! xxxooo

Seaside

Default Re: Anyone know of a milk alternative that

Almond, hazelnut, oat, and multigrain milks are very tasty. I am not bothered by soy, but dislike rice milk. Unsweetened varieties of the above are excellent when used in savory dishes, but you can also get sweeter, vanilla, and even chocolate flavored versions of the nut milks. Or make your own, by whizzing your favorite nuts in a blender with some spring water.

I understand what you mean, though, Tigerlily. Milk should not be considered vital beyond the age of weaning, so it is certainly not necessary to replace it. But habits can be hard to break!

Vegan_baby

"Oatly" oat milk looks yummy !! I could'nt find Canada on their websites list of countries for availability. Does anyone know of a commercial oat milk that is available in Canada ?

Many thanks.

Anyway, you can make oat milk at home. I never tried it because I'm lazy but it seem easy enough.

Plain Oat milk:

* 4 cups (cold) water
    * 1 ripe banana
    * 2 cups cooked oatmeal
    * 1 tsp. vanilla
    * Pinch of salt (opt.)
    * 1 tsp vanilla (opt.)
    * Sweetener to taste (if desired)
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Many people like rice/soya milk etc. - I don't agree that it tastes like old shoes. Last time I checked, it tasted like relatively new shoes. But that's just me.

Vegan_baby, what brands of soy milk have you tried? Different brands taste differently. Did you get sweetened or unsweetened---it makes a big difference! Did you try vanilla, chocolate, mocha, or strawberry flavoured soy milk? Did you get the shelf soy milk or the ones from the fridge? The shelf ones always taste a little chalky to me.

I really like sweetened Silk or So Nice. I especially love chocolate Vitasoy soy milk. It took me almost a year of drinking soy milk daily to get used to the beany taste! It does take time.

Same for rice milks. I personally found Ryza to taste unpleasant as well. I tried Rice Dream or some other similar brand (in the vanilla and chocolate flavours) when I first went vegan, and I liked it more than Ryza. I might just pick up another carton.

Almond Breeze is a brand of almond milk that should be available in large supermarkets. I live on little old PEI (known for seafood and lots of dairy farming) and I can find Almond Breeze---so I think you will be able to find it in Montreal if not in your hometown.

If you do some searching on Google you can find recipes to make homemade nut milks and oat milk. I already posted a oat milk recipe, trying to be helpful.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hi, I just removed some 30 totally off topic posts.

Some definitions of trolls/trolling (from our FAQ):

'Internet troll, a person who is deliberately inflammatory on the Internet in order to provoke a vehement response from other users.'
    'An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.'
    'As a verb, the practice of trying to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully-designed incorrect statements or similar "bait."'
    'An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.'
    Some people have small invisible trolls living inside them without noticing it...
    If you want to discuss anything not related to favorite plant milks, please do it in PMs, in the Conflict area or somewhere else, OK? I'm closing this thread now, please continue the milk substitute discussion in the Favorite vegan milk substitues-thread. I'll merge this thread with that other thread later.

Thanks!