Thread: brown rice

Default brown rice

im going to buy brown rice soon but i wanted some tips.

whats the difference between long, medium or short grain, and which is best.

and is it okay to buy rice in bulk?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: brown rice questions

its fine to buy rice in bulk as long as you can store it in a nice dry, preferably cool place.

short grain rice is usually used for rice puddings etc as in cooks up gloopy and pudding-y, bit stodgy sometimes.

long grain is the one to use for everyday use, savouries etc.

I use long grain brown rice with dhal, curries etc, and I eat brown short grain or brown koshikari rice with stir-fries or for risotto.

Cryospark

Brown Basmati rice, white basmati rice even has a reasonably healthy impact on the body, then I don't know your body type

The organic brown rice is actually cheaper than the the non-organic ones at my grocery store since the non-organic ones only come in small bags but the organic ones comes in these HUGE bags which are cheaper in the long run. But....they only have short grain brown rice.

It kind of clumps together, and it's pretty hearty. I really enjoy because it makes you chew it, not just swallow whole....which fills you up.

I like the short grain best, and I cook a lot of it and then make the leftover cooked rice into rice pudding the next day, by pouring soya milk into the saucepan until it covers the rice and a little bit more, add grated nutmeg, then bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer stirring often to prevent sticking, until it turns creamy.

My kids don't like brown rice as much as white, but they all love rice pudding! It's especially nice for breakfast in the winter
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote kokopelli
    I like the short grain best, and I cook a lot of it and then make the leftover cooked rice into rice pudding the next day, by pouring soya milk into the saucepan until it covers the rice and a little bit more, add grated nutmeg, then bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer stirring often to prevent sticking, until it turns creamy.

My kids don't like brown rice as much as white, but they all love rice pudding! It's especially nice for breakfast in the winter
    Oh my. That sounds delicious.

Short grain - this grain gives off a lot of starch in the cooking process. Not the grain to go for if you like fluffy rice but it IS the grain to reach for if you want really clumpy rice (like sticky rice). Not to be confused with glutinous rice which is veeery sticky when cooked - stickier than short grain rice, even.

Medium grain - good for risottos, puddings, porridges and the like. Good amount of starch is given off in the cooking process, but only enough to make it creamy, not clumpy.

Long - Excellent fluffy rice grain. Hardly any starches given during the cooking process. Less starches = the less the grains stick together. (it *will* stick together when cold, but heating the rice up again brings it back to fluffy with no troubles at all).

Is it ok to buy rice in bulk? I think so. I store my rice in the freezer so I don't get any mites but some people prefer air-tight containers. It's really a preference, IMO but I've found that the deep-freeze really reduces the chances of getting anything icky in the rice.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Default brown rice

hiya, i'm struggling to get my brown rice as nice and 'fluffy' as my local organic cafe...what am i doing wrong? does anyone else have this problem??many thanks, triona

Default Re: brown rice

Quote triona.d. View Post
    hiya, i'm struggling to get my brown rice as nice and 'fluffy' as my local organic cafe...what am i doing wrong? does anyone else have this problem??many thanks, triona

My sister always makes the most fluffy rice and this is her secret…It may sound like a chore, but it really takes no time at all and it actually does make a huge difference.

First, wash off the excess starch from the rice to avoid stickiness. Put the rice in a bowl and cover it with cold water and gently "swoosh" the rice around (water will look cloudy). Pour water out and repeat a few times until water is clear.

Cover rice with water again and let it sit for about 15 mintutes until the rice looks plump, then drain.

Put into pot and put in less water than needed as the rice has already absorbed some fluid (e.g. 1 cup of rice, 1.5 cup water) and cook as usual, while it is covered and simmering, refuse the desire to peek under! Once it has simmered for the right amount of time (depending on the type you are making) remove from heat, keep the lid on (still no peeking) and let it stand for about 10 minutes before fluffing.
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.