Thread: Veg Chicago

Thumbs up Veg Chicago

A Veg*n guide to Chicago

Need I say more. Just click www.vegchicago.com

Default best vegan restraunt in chicago?????????

I think I have visited all of them, what is everyones fav?????

Quote Vegan_Mechanic
    I think I have visited all of them, what is everyones fav?????
    Do I have to just pick one????

How about my top five, in no particular order because it totally depends on my mood which one is best.

1. Chicago Diner
    2. Soul Vegetarian
    3. Amitabul
    4. Ethiopian Diamond
    5. Alice and Friends

Soul is my #1, #2 is blind faith, Have you ever been to Flat top grill???

Quote Vegan_Mechanic
    Soul is my #1, #2 is blind faith, Have you ever been to Flat top grill???
    Yeah, I like Flat Top. You can customize your food, plus, they cook it separately if you ask. It's a really good omni restaurant.

Default vegan in chicago

Anybody know of anygood resturants in chicago, preferably vegan, where you can get italian food?

try looking at happycow.net

you can try calling rosebud on taylor st, they are cool about making vegan entres.

Cool, thanks for the idea

Default Soul Veg (Chicago) closed???

Anyone from Chicago know anything about this??? I was going to go to Soul for breakfast today and I heard from my friend who drove by yesterday that it was shut down. He said his buddy was there when the health inspector was there and it was shut down because of that. What usually happens in these cases cause I am dying for some grits and pancakes

Default Coming to Chicago!

I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a couple of weeks time, and after that we're heading to Chicago for a week (18-24th September).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm interested in places to eat, drink and be merry, any exhibitions, beauty spots, etc.

Thanks!
    Last edited by flutterby; Sep 1st, 2006 at 07:30 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread.

Default Re: Coming to Chicago!

have you seen this site?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Ooh, no, I hadn't! Thanks MrFlibble!

I was in Chicago last winter, but only for a part of a day, so I didn't get to see and do much there. There's a vegan organic raw food restaurant called Karyn's Raw that has tasty food. There's a fancy half of the restaurant with dim, atmospheric lighting and nice decor, and there's a casual half where you can get the same food from a buffet or in packaged boxes. They also have a juice bar with awesome smoothies. I had one with nut milk, banana, vanilla, and dates. Sounds simple, but it was one of the best smoothies I've ever had. The place also has a section where you can buy various products and books. Be careful, though, because they do use honey in quite a few of their products, including their awesome looking desserts It has a sister restaurant somewhere in Chicago called Karyn's Cooked...I didn't get a chance to go there.

There's plenty for entertainment there! I can't recommend anything specific though, 'cause I didn't really get a chance to see much.

Have lots of fun, twinkle!!! Whose wedding is it?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

It's my friend Mark, who has emigrated to be with his fiance. They're actually a couple of hours out of Chicago, but apparently there's not a huge amount to do where they are, so we're heading off after the wedding. I can't wait! I went skiing a couple of years back in France but apart from that I haven't had a foreign holiday in about 15 years.

Default what is your favorite vegan resteraunt in chicago?

i think mine at the moment is karyn's cooked, although i think it would be soul veg if i did not live so goddamn far away from it.

your thoughts?

Default Re: what is your favorite vegan resteraunt in chicago?

My thought is that it would be wonderful to go to Chicago one day, especially if there is actually a selection of vegan restaurants to choose from!
    One day ;-)

Default Re: what is your favorite vegan resteraunt in chicago?

chicago diner by far.

although that one up on church in evanstons great too!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Talking Re: what is your favorite vegan resteraunt in chicago?

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post

although that one up on church in evanstons great too!
    Blind Faith Cafe (www.blindfaithcafe.com)

Yogini

Default Re: Veg Chicago

I was positive the title of this thread was Veg Chicano. I was hoping to get tips on cooking tasty vegan Mexican food.

Legit Ballin

this is the best thread ever. i am a transplant from chi-town and havent been back since turning vegan. i go back every 6 months or so though and am psyched to try these places.

I'll be in Chicago tomorrow and Wednesday for work, so I'll be staying downtown. Are there any good vegetarian places downtown?

Quote Pete Teoh View Post
    I'll be in Chicago tomorrow and Wednesday for work, so I'll be staying downtown. Are there any good vegetarian places downtown?
    Sorry to miss your post. My favorites downtown:

Karyn's Cooked (all vegan, nice ambiance, reasonable prices, great desserts)

Russian Tea Time--Just a block from the Art Institute, tons of vegetarian and many vegan options. Lunch is cheap (get the soup and a basket of their oniony black bread) and dinner well worth the $.

Lao Sze Chuan is a short trip down the Red Line to Chinatown. Try the house special hot and sour soup (it's vegetarian), it'll blow your head off.

Reza's has a large veggie section of decent Middle Eastern fare.

Of course, Greektown isn't far from downtown...love just about any place there...

Karyn's Cooked
    738 North Wells Street, Chicago
    http://www.karynraw.com/pgs/kfc_km.html

Russian Tea Time
    77 East Adams Street,
    Chicago, Illinois 60603
    (312)360-0000
    http://www.russianteatime.com

Lao Sze Chuan
    2172 S Archer, Chicago
    312-326-5040
    http://www.laoszechuan.com/

Reza's
    432 West Ontario, Chicago
    312-664-4500
    http://www.rezasrestaurant.com/

I absolutely love Chicago Diner in Chicago. I live about an hour away from Chicago and it's a special treat every once in awhile. I recommend that anyone in Chicago give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
    CHICAGO DINER:
    3411 N Halsted St
    Chicago, IL 60657
    (773) 935-6696

Last time I went I had the vegan gyros, vegan mac n cheeze, and a nice choc mint milkshake for desset. It was all delicious!!

Hi guys, I'm going to Chicago in September. I'm really excited. For the Chicago Diner, do they have food omnis would like? My dad's a huge meateater!

Also, I'm staying in a hotel on Michigan Ave. What kind of stuff I can I see and do in the area? What places do you recommend for food, shopping, art museums, etc?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Hi guys, I'm going to Chicago in September. I'm really excited. For the Chicago Diner, do they have food omnis would like? My dad's a huge meateater!

Also, I'm staying in a hotel on Michigan Ave. What kind of stuff I can I see and do in the area? What places do you recommend for food, shopping, art museums, etc?
    oh, thats good if you like shopping. thats where all the stores are (downtown on michigan ave.). my fav things to do there are hit up the clark & belmont area (lots of cute, unique shops) wich is really near chicago diner which i promise you EVERYONE will love! even omnis. (you must try their vegan desserts...to.die.for.) all that is right near wrigley field too. so you can check that out if you get a chance.

i love the parks (millenium park, grant park) on the lakefront. lake drive is a beautiful scenic drive, the parks are enjoyable to walk around in or toss a frisbee or have a picnic & the museums are right there too.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Oooo awesome! I cant wait to go to the parks when I have some free time to myself. Sounds like theres lots to do!

definitely go the the art institutue of chicago museum it is right on michigan avenue! and i have to agree with tipsy about shopping around belmont its further north, but literally right next to the chicago diner and there are tooons of unique shops there including http://www.unclefunchicago.com/ , and there is a great lil organic bakery that sales omni baked goods as well as lots of vegan treats right on belmont! also on state street go in macys and you'll find a LUSH store. have fun!!!!!

Apparently there's a whole foods in Chicago which has the much raved about Tesse cheese on a vegan pizza.

I suggest you have that and report back to us

I'll see if I can get some time to myself to venture over to the Lush store (OMFFFFFFG!! its been years since I've seen one.) and the bakery. Sure my dad would approve of the Chicago Diner and the art museums. I can't wait!!!

I'll see if I can get some time to myself to venture over to the Lush store (OMFFFFFFG!! its been years since I've seen one.) and the bakery. Sure my dad would approve of the Chicago Diner and the art museums. I can't wait!!!

The Lush store is on Michigan ave on the botton floor of Macy's.

Ahhh!! Can't wait! My friend Megan just moved to Chicago, the two of us will have to make a trip to LUSH! We'll look for it!

Lol...I have weird memories of going to the Chicago Diner...on the way there with my grandmother we walked past an "adult" store and there was a huge dominatrix window display. I was trying to ignore it and act all nonchalant and my grandma just stopped and stared for 30 seconds and then was like "Well now that's very interesting, isn't it?" then proceeded to talk about it for the rest of the walk to the restaurant. The food was really good though so I guess it was worth the awkward walk.
    Have a good trip to Chicago, ella! I also recommend the Art Institute...especially if you like Impressionist art. I love the Art Institute! And if you find Teese cheese let me know. I've looked in several Whole Foods in Chicago and the suburbs and couldn't find it in any of them.

Karyn's Cooked is my current fav!! I REALLLLY want to love Chicago Diner, but man, either I'm overly critical or I just always happen to be there on an off day... Flat Top seems to be our typical standby.

Tiffee, where are the places you mentioned? I'll be on Michigan Ave, so can I walk from the Intercontinental Hotel to these places? Or should I take taxis?

Tiffee, where are the places you mentioned? I'll be on Michigan Ave, so can I walk from the Intercontinental Hotel to these places? Or should I take taxis?

Karyn's is at 738 North Wells Street... it's only about a mile from the Intercontinental, so not a bad walk! You'd want to head North on Michigan Ave. (toward E Ohio St!) then you'd want to make a left onto Chicago Ave. walk for about 1/2 mile and then turn left onto Wells! On the weekends they have a nice brunch! Their skillet scramble breakfast is YUM. It's completely Vegan so you can have anything form the menu, which is great.

There's also a Karyn's Raw, though I have yet to go! 1901 North Halsted Street... 3 miles away from you...

Now Flat Top...there are several throughout the city, but we go to the one in the West Loop. Near Harpo Studios. You'd wanna take a cab there, they're located at 1000 W. Washington Ave. the other closest to Intercontintal would be at 319 W. North Ave! I'd say they're about equal distance from your hotel.

The Chicago Diner is definitley a cab ride away! People reallllly seem to like it, so I won't not recommend it! It's roughly 5 miles from your hotel area!

If you're up for upscale, spendy, trendy, Veg. fare... check out Green Zebra, it's a vegetarian with the option to create many of the dishes Vegan. 1460 west chicago ave. chicago illinois... about 2 miles from where you'll be.

ENJOY!

OMG, thank you so much Tiffee. That was really great and thorough info, seems easy enough to navigate. Going to veg*n restaurants is my dream. I'm excited to get there and eat out!!!

Oh you're sooo welcome!!! Enjoy!!

In addition to Chicago's Diner and the great places tiffee mentioned... if you're up for a quick grab and go meal there is a vegan fast food place called Veggie Bite in Chicago. Don't let the idea that it is fast food scare you because it's delicious! Here's the website-->http://www.veggiebite.net/ Also another restaurant is Handlebar which is located at 2311 W North Ave. The best way would be to take the L *blue line* when you get off at Damen it's literally RIGHT there. Handlebar offers both vegetarian and vegan dishes. I had the BBQ seitan and it was to die for. ENJOY!!!

Quote mariana View Post
    Lol...I have weird memories of going to the Chicago Diner...on the way there with my grandmother we walked past an "adult" store and there was a huge dominatrix window display. I was trying to ignore it and act all nonchalant and my grandma just stopped and stared for 30 seconds and then was like "Well now that's very interesting, isn't it?" then proceeded to talk about it for the rest of the walk to the restaurant. The food was really good though so I guess it was worth the awkward walk.
    Ahaha, this is pretty much exactly what happened to me when I was visiting Chicago with my parents. I had been there before with my bf and some friends we were visiting, but I didn't think anything of it, but I think it made my parents uncomfortable when I was there with them They actually liked the restaurant though (although I'm pretty sure they all ordered breakfast food with eggs).
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Ahaha, this is pretty much exactly what happened to me when I was visiting Chicago with my parents. I had been there before with my bf and some friends we were visiting, but I didn't think anything of it, but I think it made my parents uncomfortable when I was there with them They actually liked the restaurant though (although I'm pretty sure they all ordered breakfast food with eggs).
    You too? Lol. Yeah, if my grandma hadn't been there I probably wouldn't have even noticed it, but it was quite awkward being there with her.