Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quinoa

Default Quinoa

yo chaps. today i boiled some quinoa. it was okay but kind of boring.

anybody know a good way to spice it up?

but it needs to be SIMPLE please... my lack of skill and finesse in the bedroom is exceed ONLY by my appalling inadequacies in the kitchen.

i thank you.

From "Garden of Vegan"
    Simply Lovely Quinoa
    1 small onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    2-3 stalks celery, chopped
    6-8 mushrooms, chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 cup Quinoa
    1 28-oz (796-ml) can diced tomatoes
    1 cup vegetable stock
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

In a large sauce pan on medium-high heat, saute the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms in oil until the onions are translucent. Add the quinoa and saute for an additional minute. Stir in diced tomatos (do not drain), stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix together, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until liquid has reduced. (Makes 4-6 servings)

I make this a lot...VERY yum.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I think it would be nice mixed with some corn kernals, dried cranberries, parsley and a nice vegan dressing, such as apple cider vinegar

Here's a recipe someone gave me donkey's years ago. It's simple and quite tasty.

The other thing I have been doing recently (after seeing it suggested on the quinoa packet ) is adding the washed quinoa to veg. casseroles about 20 minutes before the end of cooking. The quinoa gets a bit lost but it does add body (and presumably nutrition) to the total.

Quinoa & Potatoes with Caraway -serves 4-6

1 T olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1/2 lb. potatoes (a thin skinned variety), cut to 1/4" by 1" matchsticks
    1-1/4 t caraway seeds (or substitute about 1 t cumin seed)
    1-1/2 c vegetable stock (for pressure cooker. Increase to 2 c for standard
    stovetop cooking)
    1 c quinoa, thoroughly washed and drained
    3/4 t salt (less if stock is salted)

Saute the garlic, onion, potatoes and caraway seeds in the olive oil for one
    minute. (I saute a bit longer, until the onions begin to turn golden--I just
    like the onions better that way.) Stir in the vegetable stock and bring it to
    a boil. Stir in quinoa and salt.

To use a pressure cooker, lock the lid in place and bring to pressure over
    high heat. Decrease heat enough to maintain pressure and cook for 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow to stand 10 minutes while pressure comes down
    naturally. (This has been plenty of time for me, but if you open the cooker
    and the potatoes are not done enough for you, replace the lid and let it sit
    another one to two minutes. Don't let it go too long, though, or quinoa will
    turn to mush.) Stir well and serve.

To use the recipe without a pressure cooker, follow the instructions above
    until the part about locking the lid on. At that point, cover, bring to a
    boil, then reduce heat to simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat
    and allow to stand, covered, for another 5 minutes.

This comes from Recipes From An Ecological Kitchen, by Lorna J. Sass.

Tofu monster, have a look at Veganfood and vegweb .

i bought some quinoa the other day, and wasn't impressed by the recipe for it i found on the internet (not one of the sites gert mentioned though)

i will have to try other things with it as i'm sure it should taste good if done properly
    so i thank you guys for the recipes too.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Gorilla, do make sure you rinse it properly because apparently it comes with a bitter coating which could foul up your recipes! It is fiddly to wash because it goes through the holes in my sieve but I have discovered that I can wash it in one of the trays of my seed sprouting gadget. (You can sprout the stuff too BTW although it doesn't actually grow - just unfurls a bit.)

yes harpy, it did say 'wash before use' on my pack too but i didn't, firstly cos it was organic so i didn't think there'd be any nasty crap on it, and secondly cos i don't even have a sieve anyway - just got a collander and them little critters would just go straight through it and down the plughole.

but thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll give some of that lot a try next time i'm doing quinoa.

I made quinoa before and it tasted horrible. I rinsed it beforehand but probably not well enough.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

man oh man i eat quinoa mixed with anything and everything. sauteed/steam veggies. peanutbutter,tahini,raisins,nuts, FLAX SEEDS so good

OH all that chopping and measuring!!!! Just add one vegan vegetable boullion cube to your rice cooker full of quinoa, you dont even need to stir it up.
    You can also add a can of drained garbonzo/chickpeas to it and some slivered almonds from a bag. EASY.
    It is soooo much better than the plain stuff. Granted all the real veggies and spices are really great but if your short on time and food, the boullion really helps.

Tofu Monster, I think the nasty stuff on the quinoa is meant to be something that grows on it naturally, in which case being organic probably wouldn't help unfortunately. It may be that the producers wash it off first these days but if anyone doesn't like the taste of theirs, washing it better might be worth a try. I don't find it has a very strong taste.

Before I started rinsing it in my sprouter (which does the job very well) I used to line the colander/sieve with kitchen paper first, but I have to say it wasn't wildly successful as a lot of the quinoa used to end up stuck to the paper

Harpy, i did wash my quinoa very thoroughly before cooking, and it wasn't bitterness that was the problem. i found it very bland and dull, which is why i was thinking it might have just been a rubbish recipe. i'll keep trying though as it's supposed to be very good for you isn't it
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ConsciousCuisine

High in protein, iron, easy to digest and assimilate, one of the "ancient" grains...yes, good!

I am making some of that boxed variety right now...
    Seeds of Change is the brand...today it's french herb.
    My Grandmother bought me about 20 boxes of rice and quinoa stuff from them and Near East for my birthday. I love it cause you can't go wrong. Plus I am super lazy right now being sick and all...

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote lolamako
    Just add one vegan vegetable boullion cube to your rice cooker full of quinoa, you dont even need to stir it up.
    You can also add a can of drained garbonzo/chickpeas to it and some slivered almonds from a bag. EASY.
    Now that I do like the sound of very much. I think I shall try it tomorrow!

Toast the quinoa in a dry saute pan over high heat until it's browned; you should smell a nutty aroma.

Then cook it pilaf-style. Cut up an onion, some garlic. Standard pilaf method. And season the damned water, salt and pepper at the very least. Dried starches such as this absorb the liquid they are cooking in, right? It makes sense to make the liquid being used taste properly seasoned, so that the quinoa is properly seasoned. This also applies to pasta. I cannot emphasize this point enough in cooking grains/starches.

Dried cherries work wonders in quinoa.

i had a quinoa kedgeree last night, from the book Vegan by Tony Bishop and Yvonne Weston. it's a very attractive book with lots of glossy colour photos.

i guess i suck at cooking, as everyone says quinoa is really easy to cook, but so far i can't get it to go fluffy like it's supposed to. i cooked it for as long as the recipe said, but it was still quite crunchy. the flavour wasn't too bad but it had been cooked in a strong veg stock with seaweed, and the dish had loads of other stuff like smoked tofu and red pepper so those flavours soaked into it anyway.

am i doing something wrong?

i made quinoa again last night, as suggested by lolamako, boiled up with vegan stock cubes, then added chick peas and flaked almonds. It was gorgeous and my son (who hated the plain quinoa) loved it.

gonna try some of the other suggestions next.

Gorilla, the cooking method I'm currently using (again derived from the packet instructions ) involves leaving the quinoa to stand for a while to absorb the remaining cooking liquid after you've finished boiling it. If yours is too "al dente" perhaps you could try that?

I steam my quinoa. I have an electric steamer that I use for all my grains because they cook better than on the stovetop.

I like taking some washed quinoa and adding it to my steamer bucket with the right amount of water (I think I only did 1/4 cup quinoa to 1/2 cup water because I didn't want to make a lot), a bit of salt and a few strawberries put in. Set the timer for 40 minutes. Sweeten to taste and enjoy.

I put Earth Balance in my first bowl, but that made it too rich. The second bowl I just used vegan sugar and it came out nice.

VitaminB

Default Quinoa...don't eat it

I just found out about the background of this food in my Cultural Anthropology class. My professor has been working with the indigeneous people in the Andes since the 1960s (mainly Inca descendants). Anyways, she informed us of this food and it's background. I know a lot of vegan's eat it so I want to inform you all on the social injustice it has played in the developed world. Basically, a couple of professors from the University of Colorado visited Bolivia to conduct some studies on the culture and what not. They came across the Quinoa grain in a market place and learned about it's high protein content. Anyways, they brought it back to the U.S. and asked the World Trade Organization for a patten. The WTO gave it to them. Now these people recieve all the money if and when this product is sold. Now these indigeneous people in Bolivia recieve no money for growing it or attempting to sell it. The Bolivian people have been harvesting it for years, but recieve no benefit for doing so now. These people are being exploited and manipulated by the WTO, the professors, the globalized world, and foremost us, the consumers of the world. I recommend the boycott of the product until it remains fair trade and we can buy the product without a middle man or the BIG MAN!

Default Re: Quinoa...don't eat it

It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

i know its supposed to be excellent for you in the B vits department but, quinoa porridge?? BLEUCH!!!!!!!!!

Did you rinse your quinoa first, cedar?

I've found that not rinsing it gives it a horrifically bitter taste.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

actually i didnt as both times i made it i forgot it needs to be rinsed beforehand. it wasnt so much the bitter taste, actually i mixed mine with maple syrup so didnt notice it - but i didnt like the texture of the porridge either, too millet-y and crunchy, i like my porridge smooooooth and creamy

How do you properly rinse it? I use a fine mesh strainer and let it go under the sink...

I know vegans who have little choice because of gluten problems who have to eat this but I am pleased to say in our local health food shop they sale Essentials Version which is fair trade and they sale another by Ethical Foods which is producer friendly.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote snaffler
    I know vegans who have little choice because of gluten problems who have to eat this but I am pleased to say in our local health food shop they sale Essentials Version which is fair trade and they sale another by Ethical Foods which is producer friendly.

sorry snaff - its still tastes pants

So is it OK to eat Quinoa?

Actually it's easy to grow it yourself.

And surely you can buy fair-trade quinoa as well?
    Or are you saying it's only possible to buy the rip-off quinoa?
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

You shouldn't just rinse it in a mesh strainer; you should rinse it, and while the water is running, rub the quinoa. You HAVE to do this or else the bitter taste will remain. Rinse many times, until the water is clear!

I have made a really good chilli with the stuff I dont mind it at all and I am not on a wheat free diet but I have made for people who are.

On the fair trade note I found another brand in Sainsburys last night in the Free From Section which is fair trade as well.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

VitaminB

I will find out about whether the patten means that all Quiona is exploited or if their is such thing as fair trade. My anthropology professor would be able to tell me....

Default Re: Quinoa

Version of Tabouli with Quinoa instead of bulgur.

Dice 1/2 cucumber, 1 tomato, 1/4 cup of parsley, salt. Two tablespoons tahini, 1/2 cup lemon juice(mix tahini with lemon juice. Add quinoa, veggies, and dressing together.

Ileana

Default EASY Quinoa Recipe

Please try this, it's easy, healthy, and affordable:

1) Saute garlic in olive oil
    2) Add garlic & olive oil to cooked quinoa (I use 1 cup dry quinoa to 1.5 cups water, cook on low for 20 minutes)
    3) Heat, drain and add 1 pack frozen spinach
    4) Add salsa to taste (I use about 1 cup)
    5) Add little bits of tofu

Mix, mix, mix...sprinkle nutritional yeast on top. VERY GOOD

I love it.

A bit like cous-cous only low GI and high it protein. I always cook it in stock or with herbs/onions as above. I actually prefer it to rice. I've never found it bitter so perhaps the brand I have is different. Maybe you didn't cook it long enough.

My only problem is the expense.

Quote Artichoke47
    You shouldn't just rinse it in a mesh strainer; you should rinse it, and while the water is running, rub the quinoa. You HAVE to do this or else the bitter taste will remain. Rinse many times, until the water is clear!
    I put it in chillis, curries and stews. I just pour it straight in as it is, from the packet. It tastes nice and really adds to the flavour of these dishes, I have never experienced any bitterness. I used it like this before I read about the bitter taste, but I don't know what the bitter taste is because I have never tasted it! Maybe its the spices I use, which might counteract bitterness?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

FR

Quinoa Chili so rules. I am sure you can "google" a recipe. I use quinoa in place or rice at times with stir fried veggies. It also makes a good filler when making homemade bean burgers/patties.

I get my quinoa in bulk, so I don't know what brand it is. But, it's never bitter. I soak it for about a minute, rinse, soak again, rinse and then add fresh water and cook.

I love it very much, and I especially like the little curly-q's that sprout out when you cook it.

FR

I get mine in Bulk as well. All I do is rinse it, then boil it. I let it sit with the cover on the pan after the water has evaporated. It makes it nice and tender that way. I follow the usual rule, 2 liquid cups of water for every dry cup of quinoa (Queen-wah).

sugarmouse

I love quinoa...i usually fry corguettes,tomatoes, peppers and salsa..and add the cooked quinoa.bobillydylan usually gets his better cooked than when i do it..but i boil it on high in about 3 parts water to quinoa, then simmer when it has popped open.then i leave it on a very low heat to absorb the water..it sometimes just needs longer than you may think.

i too love quinoa! boiled is ultragreat, but sprouted is nice too. the instructions on the packet i have makes them very very good, not sticky nor hard or anything: ratio water to quinoa 2:1, bring the water to a boil, add the grains and boil for 10 minutes. remove from heat, and leave for 15 mins (with lid on the pan) to absorb water. they turn out perfect. if on the other hand boiling them until tender, they tend to get overboiled and not be so nice. quinoa is great in salads, or a nice curryish stirfry- my friend makes them just delicious, yum!

I called it kwin-oh-a for years, when I found it's actually pronounced Keen-wah I felt a little silly
    I think it's an amazing food, especially the red variety.

sugarmouse

tell me whats better about the red stuff!not tried it!

It looks nice

Actually, I think it's got a bit more flavour. I must try cooking both types and seeing if there is a big difference. I think I use it more because my white and red quinoa and millet are all in the same type of jars and I get confused between the millet and white quinoa... so I use the red! Maybe I ought to label the jars

I haven't had Quinoa for ages normally i have it in stir fry's or porridge. I like it but my mum doesn't. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default Re: EASY Quinoa Recipe

Quote greeniebean
    Please try this, it's easy, healthy, and affordable:

1) Saute garlic in olive oil
    2) Add garlic & olive oil to cooked quinoa (I use 1 cup dry quinoa to 1.5 cups water, cook on low for 20 minutes)
    3) Heat, drain and add 1 pack frozen spinach
    4) Add salsa to taste (I use about 1 cup)
    5) Add little bits of tofu

Mix, mix, mix...sprinkle nutritional yeast on top. VERY GOOD

WOAH! Sounds delicious! OMG, I have to make this tomorrow but with kale instead of spinach.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I just love quinoa use it all the time now, its healthy and it brings the food together...no matter how hard i try though even down to the exact ingredients! my cooking just doesnt taste as good as sugarmouses!?!?! i suppose practice makes perfect