Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Quinoa

Qaxt

Default Re: Favourite Quinoa Recipes

I just eat mine like I do rice. I'm really not a big fan of it, but I eat it at least once or twice a week for its nutritional value, lol. I put "butter" and spices on it. And some salt.

I'd like to try some nooch sauce on it some time, but I'm never in the cooking mood after I've rinsed quinoa. It just takes the chef right out of me!

Quote Qaxt View Post
    I just eat mine like I do rice. I'm really not a big fan of it, but I eat it at least once or twice a week for its nutritional value, lol. I put "butter" and spices on it. And some salt.

I'd like to try some nooch sauce on it some time, but I'm never in the cooking mood after I've rinsed quinoa. It just takes the chef right out of me!
    Yeah it is a lot of work, and quite expensive...but like you said, a must have!

So I made this:

1 cup quinoa, soaked overnight
    6 dates, pitted
    1/2 cup soymilk

Blended up together

It tasted fine, but my blender wasn't good enough to get it silky smooth, so the texture was very grainy. I think I'm gonna try soaking the quinoa longer?

Thumbs up Quinoa recipes!

Make up a batch of quinoa. Add salsa and black beans - this is one terrific recipe to take to a pot luck. Everyone becomes curious and LOVES it. Let me know how you like it.

Default Re: Quinoa recipe for you!

That sounds cheap and easy! I bet it would be nice added to some mixed leaves.

Default Easy Quinoa and Black Bean recipe!!

I love this recipe, I usually substitute olive oil for the vegetable oil.

Quinoa and Black Beans

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
    • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. <LI style="OVERFLOW: visible" class=plaincharacterwrap>Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. <LI style="OVERFLOW: visible" class=plaincharacterwrap>Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    2. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Stuart

Default Quinoa and black beans

This!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=20724.0

Without the cilantro, and corn kernels, it worked out fine for me; came out a little grey though... how to stop the greyness, anybody?

Kimberlily1983

Default Re: Easy Quinoa and Black Bean recipe!!

Mmm. Sounds yummy. I have not had the pleasure of trying quinoa yet. It's a bit pricey. Nonetheless, we will try it sometime! Maybe this will be how I first try quinoa.

Hey, Kimberlily. Bulk Barn sells organic quinoa at a fraction of the price as pre-packaged quinoa.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Kimberlily1983

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Hey, Kimberlily. Bulk Barn sells organic quinoa at a fraction of the price as pre-packaged quinoa.
    Hmm, it seems the nearest Bulk Barn is about an hour away from here. Might be worth making a trip to stock up on some things. We'd been planning on checking out Costco as well.
    Last edited by Kimberlily1983; Jul 20th, 2010 at 03:35 AM. Reason: correction

It's definitely worth the trip, I think. Lots and lots of vegan staple foods, like beans, grains, pastas, cereal, granola, TVP (in chunks and granules), spices, nuts and seeds, raw sugar, sea salt...I sound like an advertisement. I promise I'm not working for them!

I'm also going to give this recipe a go!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default help making...

hey, does anyone have a easy HOW TO MAKE QUINOA guide? gunna try it this weekend for a dish and have NO clue how to make this stuff 0.x
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 24th, 2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Quinoa

I LOVE quinoa!!! Sometimes I use it to make burgers, or use it in place of pasta or rice in a salad... cook it for the time stated on the packet (25mins, I think), then add some olive oil, lemon juice and tamari, chopped tomato, olives, capers, pieces of marinated tofu or seitan, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, corn, celery, chopped peppers, parsley... whatever takes your fancy

I love quinoa next to some roasted veggies like pumpkin, and if its in season tomatoes and paprikas. the brand i buy has to be simmered for about 20 minutes.

Quinoa is also great in Mexican recipes. Just make your usually tortilla filling and then serve it with quinoa.

Default Re: help making...

Quote gothdragon911 View Post
    hey, does anyone have a easy HOW TO MAKE QUINOA guide? gunna try it this weekend for a dish and have NO clue how to make this stuff 0.x
    Just to add to the other suggestions, do rinse it thoroughly before cooking, because it sometimes has a bitter-tasting coating (I probably said that further up the thread!).

Hi Tofu Monster,

Here are a couple of ways I use quinoa that are quick and easy. Hope this helps to brighten up your boring dish ...

Recipe #1

Ingredients:
    2 Cups Quinoa
    3 Cups Water
    3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Can Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans), drained & rinsed
    2-3 Cups Sliced Almonds
    1-2 oz. Sliced Sun-dried Tomatoes
    1 Tbsp Rosemary
    Garlic Salt to Taste

Directions:
    To cook quinoa:
    Pour water into a sauce pan and bring it to boil on high heat.
    Pour the quinoa into the boiling water. Turn the heat to medium high once foam starts to rise.
    Allow it to boil uncovered until the water level reaches the quinoa level.
    Cover and let it simmer until all the water is absorbed.

Pour the olive oil, chickpeas, garlic salt and rosemary onto a baking sheet.
    Broil in the oven on 400 degree F heat until the chickpeas are crispy and/or they start to crackle.

Toast the sliced almonds in a pan on high heat until it's browned and aromatic.
    Add the chickpeas, almonds, and sun-dried tomatoes to the quinoa and stir.
    Add more spices if needed to suit your special taste buds ... smile.

Recipe #2:

Ingredients:
    1 Cup Quinoa
    1 Tsp Cinnamon (or 1 Cinnamon Stick)
    1 Cup Nondairy Milk, optional (I use almond milk but you can use rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk, etc.)
    2 Cups Water
    2 Tbsp Raisins
    1 Banana
    3-4 Tbsp Carob Powder (or 2 Tbsp Cocoa)
    2 Tbsp Walnuts

Directions:
    Put the quinoa, cinnamon, and 3 cups of the liquid (1 of which can be nondairy milk) in a pot.
    Turn to high and bring to a boil, then turn to low to simmer for 30 minutes.

When the quinoa is almost cooked, stir in the raisins until they're large and plump.
    Mash the banana in a bowl, then stir in the carob or cocoa powder.

Stir the banana mixture into the quinoa once it's cooked.
    If you like it a bit porridgey, pour in a little more milk.
    Spoon into bowls and top with the walnuts.
    You can also top it with some fresh raspberries or strawberries.

Quick, easy, healthy, yummy .... what more can one ask?

Tesco (UK) magazine has a recipe for a mushroom and quinoa burger which is vegan (it does mention adding chilli mayo and bacon but they are not actual ingredients and their are always vegan versions) the recipe is listed on their website as well: http://www.tescorealfood.com/recipes...illi-mayo.html

Quinoa is as versatile as brown rice for the most part.
    For lunch: I add a little bit of pepper, chili powder or cayenne pepper and add veggies to it. You can also try adding TVP or soy meat to add some flavor. Vegan soy cheese or nutritional yeast gives it some flavor.

For breakfast, you can put some apple juice or coconut milk in it and boil (or microwave) the quinoa in it. Add some cinammon, nutmeg and fruit and you're good to go. I eat half a cup for breakfast or lunch almost everyday (especially before running)!

diy-girlie

I always row with people on how to say quinoa! I love mine with a dollop of homemade nettle pesto.

diy girllie,

Nettle pesto ... yum!

As for pronunciation, I say KEEN-WA. How do you say it?

It has an o in it... you gotta pronounce the o!
    I pronounce it with a French qui and then followed with noa (like noah from the bible I guess) so qui-no-a
    KEEN-WA seems like lazy pronounciation to me, it's not even close to how the word is spelled heh.

This has audio for both ways.. but with an English accent, not the more French I would use.

but there are lots of words with unpronounced letters (especially in french ;-))
    i always say keen-wa by the way. i like it that way.

diy-girlie

I say 'keen-wa'

I used to say it like 'quinn-oh-ah' but then in a health food shop trying to buy the stuff , they haden't a clue what i was on about...

Quote diy-girlie View Post
    I say 'keen-wa'

I used to say it like 'quinn-oh-ah' but then in a health food shop trying to buy the stuff , they haden't a clue what i was on about...
    You mean you had to dumb it down? *Evil Grin*

Quote Ananas View Post
    but there are lots of words with unpronounced letters (especially in french ;-))
    i always say keen-wa by the way. i like it that way.
    You say keen-wa in Dutch ? I would think you would pronounce the o in dutch as well.
    And I'm not french, I just think the qui part makes sense to pronounce french-like.

diy-girlie

Quote CoolCat View Post
    You mean you had to dumb it down? *Evil Grin*
    Ha! I guess u could say that... People kept telling me that 'quinn-oh-ah' was wrong and that there was no such thing

i add it to home made soups

I like it as a tabouli type salad:
    cooked fluffed cooled and mixed with generous amounts of chopped coriander (cilantro) and a bit of mint, thinly sliced onion or spring onion, and a dressing of tamarind or lemon juice with green chilies and cumin and a bit of fresh ginger. Salt to taste.

Most reliable method for cooking is to use heavy bottom pan to a depth of no more than 3cm, an inch. Boil 5min or so and then just let it finish steaming with a tight lid, flame off.

Leftovers, if not too softly cooked, are a nice base for burgers. I use a paste of besan (chickpea flour) as a binder.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

My first time making quinoa I added chopped fresh cilantro, salt, extra virgin olive oil, and dried cranberries. It was fantastic. The best part is you can eat it hot or cold.

Default Re: Quinoa recipes!

Quote grainiac View Post
    Make up a batch of quinoa. Add salsa and black beans - this is one terrific recipe to take to a pot luck. Everyone becomes curious and LOVES it. Let me know how you like it.
    *drooling* That sounds great. I never thought to add salsa. The closest I got to this idea was quinoa layered on the bottom. Lite life ground "meat" mixed w/ taco seasoning in the middle and black beans on the top layer and then baked. Add vegan sour cream, grape tomatoes, black olives, avocado, and non-gmo corn chips with your choice of hot sauce. Yum!

Quote vegeTERIan View Post
    My first time making quinoa I added chopped fresh cilantro, salt, extra virgin olive oil, and dried cranberries. It was fantastic. The best part is you can eat it hot or cold.
    Yum! That sounds delicious! I have all those ingredients in the cupboard at the moment...looks like I am making that for lunch tomorrow!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

For the win! My cooking sucks, so I'm excited that something sounds good to another person... that I made.

I am cooking the quinoa as I type this I used the spray version of extra virgin olive oil, but should work fine! I added a little celery, spinach and mushrooms for an extra kick! I threw in some braggs amino soy sauce alternative as well!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Of course, add anything to it. I had the cranberries because Thanksgiving was around the corner. I was feeling festive. I tried making my own veggie burgers today with the quinoa. Complete fail! Note to all: Don't use dill in a veggie burger unless you are using mashed potatoes in the mixture.

Aww, too acidic? Or just a weird combo? Yay! I was wondering if you had prepared this around thanksgiving! You are awesome...this went perfect with a loaf of my home made tofu turkey! It made 6-8 servings so I still have about half left...it went so so perfect with the quinoa dish! Loved it!

Weird combo. I also added oats and chia seeds for a binding agent. Dill + quinoa = bad smell. I'm so glad you liked the cranberry mix. I tried using fresh cranberries in my "sausage" stuffing, but I forgot to sweeten them. Luckily, I was able to pick them out and the stuffing was saved.