Thread: Anybody know any vegan friendly shops/restaurants in Madrid?

Default Anybody know any vegan friendly shops/restaurants in Madrid?

I've only quite recently turned vegan, (5 months!), and I've been living in london,where there's no difficulty finding vegan products, but I'm soon moving to madrid and i'm doubtful most people will know what a vegan is!...let alone finding vegan food,etc, so anyone know of anywhere?
    and does anyone know the proper word for vegan in spanish?..i've heard ovolactovegetariana might be it, but not sure....

Default Re: Anybody know any vegan friendly shops/restaurants in madrid?

Hi Caitlin,

If you know the Spanish language, its not difficult to find vegan food. Its not a common concept there, but not too difficult either. I did not have a problem browsing supermarkets to find some vegan elements.

I recommend you can contact the spanish vegan society..
    http://www.ivu.org/ave/english-index.html

They should be able to provide you valuable info.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I went to Madrid this year and met a really really cool vegan that you could probably hook up with. He knows heaps of good stuff and makes some lovely meals - plus is a fan of the almost vegan fast food outlet - Maoz. There is one very close to Puerto del Sol in the centre of Madrid.

There is also Vegania which has some of the best vegan restaurant food I have ever eaten.

The Spanish word for vegan is ''vegano or vegana'' depending on gender but I was told that the new fashion to get around this is to write ''vegan@'' which is more universal. The same applies with vegetarian@.

If you want to get in touch with some of the Madrid people that I know, send me a P.M.

How's your Spanish? I am Australian - ''No hablo Español'' - I don't speak Spanish - and I would have been lost without my friend over there.

''Un café Americano, sin leche, per favore'' is about the most useful thing that I learnt over there - as well as ''Gracias'' as the people were very very nice.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Hi, I'm assuming you're a girl so you'll have to say "soy vegana."

El Corte Inglés is a store where you'll be able to find several soy yogurts and other goodies.

¿Este plato lleva carne? is "does this dish contain meat?"

pm me if you want me to write out a list of stuff you wanna know how to say.

Default thank you!!!!

wow!
    thanks a lot guys, i can actually speak spanish(i lived there for a while when i was little....but i didnt even no what veganism was!) great i'll definetly check out vegania and maoz!

Default Re: Anybody know any vegan friendly shops/restaurants in Madrid?

There is a really good vegetarian restaurant in Atocha, it's called La Mazorca. They have plenty of lovely salads and seitan... I'm sure they can easily accomodate a vegan

The word for vegan in Spanish is "Vegano" but most of the people will stare at you like saying... what the heck do you mean by "Vegano"?
    So the best you can say is "I'm a strict vegetarian"," Soy vegetariano stricto", good luck!

sorry to say that won't do the trick... most people havent got a clue about vegetarians not eating chicken so they wont undertstand about being "vegetariano Estricto" either (i know from experience), the best thing is to buy a vegan passport and a vegan guide to spain.