Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpro soya products

Default Re: Alpro Soya Milk Light Unsweetened

Ohhh No!! If I hadn't already thrown the receipt and carton I would have, it was that bad!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

that's a shame, thanks for warning us though!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cobweb

aw, what a shame i love the name 'soya magic'

it's a good name isn't it!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The soya light is on offer at sainsburys at the moment, as is all their alpro milk - I have ordered the light one to try as I am finding it hard to find a milk I like since giving up dairy. Actually I love all the flavoured ones, but somehow chocolate or banana in tea just doesn't seem right

have you already tried almond/oat/rice/quinoa milk when you´re not that well getting along with soya milk?
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quote Elahiya View Post
    have you already tried almond/oat/rice/quinoa milk when you´re not that well getting along with soya milk?
    No I haven't. I thought I would give the light version a go and if that fails then try a rice milk instead. I guess it is just process of elimination until you find something you like.

i think everone's tastes are different i don't like alpro light it tastes too much of soya but the normal one is lovely and creamy, i've had morrisons own for a while because they had sold out of alpro last time i was there and i've just had some alpro on my cereal this morning for the first time in ages, it was lovely, has anyone tried the alpro cream (found in chilled section) as don't like the cartoned uht one?

philthy builder

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Okay, so having not been to Morrisons this week I was down to my last half carton of Alpro light, I popped into Somerfield to get a normal carton of Alpro Soya to put me on until later next week when I came across this stuff called 'Soya Magic'. As it was on special offer I thought I'd give it a try....it is NOT GOOD, one drink I made with it got tipped away, and the rest of the carton swiftly followed. Special offer or no special offer I shall NOT be buying it again!!

Default alpro soya cream

has anyone tried the one from the chilled section, it's in a carton that looks like a normal cream carton, i've only ever used the uht and didn't like it.

Default Re: alpro soya cream

I have a carton sitting in the fridge right now that I haven't got round to using yet. I'm fairly sure I remember Bryzee trying it and that it was much better than the UHT one!!

helen105281

I have used it in carrot and ginger soup a few times and was lovely, not used it on it's own though.

anyone got a photo?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

no sorry but think it's a white carton with red writing on

No photo, but a link to it on the alpro site....chilled single cream

oh if I didn't know I would prob think it was yogurt - thanks PI
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

What is it like? In terms of consistency and use. Is it thick, or is it more like a creamer like you'd put in coffee?

I've tasted it, and it's pretty nice. I think the UHT one tastes a bit too soya-like (but fine for some stuff like making truffles), but this one is good, and i think a bit thicker...

I made a creamy potato curry with it tonight...NUM NUMS!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

cxmnz

Has anyone tried it in coffee? Soya milk and the UHT alpro cream seem to curdle in coffee, it tastes fine, but looks really strange. Might have to find some of this and fingers crossed it reacts a bit better.

Obviously the curdle isn't an actual curdle, I was told that it's something to do with Ph levels by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about.

haven't tried in in coffee, a tip to stop your milk curdling, put in your coffee then add a couple of mm of hot water, stir to disolve coffee granules and then add your milk then top up with hot water

I's tried it and I likes it. Had it in hot choccy last night and in Bambu the night before. Will give it a go in coffee later. Maybe with a slug o' brandy.

ooh yes hot choc and cream hadn't thought of that one!

I didnt even know about this I am looking for it tonight. Ta

i'm interested to try it but i like the UHT one, and i can't recycle the tub the chilled one comes in so it's probably best i don't buy it in case i really like it.

It was a bit meh! in coffee as it turned out. Had a slightly oily taste to it. *was disappointed*

Still, was v good in hot choc, but I can't be going down that road too often...

ooo found this in sainsburys, still dieting though

I actually quite like the UHT one!

I had it on my Christmas pudding this year and liked it! Its the consistency of single cream.

I had it on some co-op blackberry and apple pie a couple of weeks ago. I really quite liked it, bit thicker than the UHT version, although I do like that too. I just tend to buy it because it exists, but I'm definitely going to have to try it in hot choc! Oh dear, you lot are such bad influences on me.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    I just tend to buy it because it exists
    Ha ha I do the same thing! Its vegan so I must buy it! I bought some vegan jam donuts the other day even thought I don't really like them

Quote Linxie View Post
    Ha ha I do the same thing! Its vegan so I must buy it! I bought some vegan jam donuts the other day even thought I don't really like them
    That really made me laugh. I buy the co-op iced buns sometimes even though I feel sick after just one and then have to give them all away

Oh my god, vegan iced buns?? I used to LOVE iced buns. I can feel a visit to the co-op coming on!

Be prepared to feel sick!

I've just had a strawberry muffin (ok maybe more than one...) with alpro soya cream. It was nice. I also have made a hot chocolate with the cream and I have to say that I'm probably making it wrong, but it doesn't taste that much different to when I make it with milk, it's just thicker.

^ i haven't made hot chocolate with Alpro cream, i always use soya milk, but it's great if you put Soyatoo spray cream on the top

i tried to make a creamy sauce with the Alpro cream last night; bad idea, it was awful.

^sounds good I'll have to try it. Thanks

It's the brand I used in the Ganache icing for my chocolate cake last week
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i tried to make a creamy sauce with the Alpro cream last night; bad idea, it was awful.
    A tablespoon of tahini is a great substitute for cream in cooking.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I'm not a fan of the light version, I just get the plain original Alpro (not long life). However it seems like they changed the flavour, I mean what the hell's going on? Now my tea tastes of vanilla. I liked it simply because it had a really neutral flavour before, you could use it in cooking without adding essence of vanilla to 'cheese' sauce or whatever. Does anyone know if this is permanent, or is there another brand that doesn't taste like vanilla, or like stale saliva? Since these seem to be the only two varieties I've come across.

^ Glad i'm not the only one that noticed the change, it tastes horrible now , got the long-life stuff for the moment, slightly better.
    Any recommendations to replace the - chilled original Alpro

Just found this on facebook:

What we do know is that some consumers did not like the "beany" taste that the previous recipe had and also wanted a better "mouthfeel". The changes are designed to address these two issues and we have also added vitamin D to the vitamin mix, which is important for bone heath and also aids the absorption of calcium. Overall we have reduced the sugar content and introduced a more neutral taste.
    We are sorry that this is not to everyone's taste and we will continue to take your feedback on board.

Suzanne do you have a link? I'd like to add my (negative) feedback as quickly as possible.

Another person here wanting to know a substitute as I won't be buying Alpro Soya again unless the recipe changes back.

If you'd like to add a comment to the discussion re Alpro Soya changing their recipe (to a rather sickly vanilla flavour), please go here:

http://www.facebook.com/alprosoya?v=...71&topic=11930

If enough people say they're not happy, maybe they'll change the recipe back

The new recipe is awful (literally sickening) in tea/coffee and on cereal, and can't be used in savoury cooking. The smell and taste of vanilla are quite overpowering.

Quote suzanne View Post
    ^ got the long-life stuff for the moment, slightly better.
    That falls into the stale saliva category as far as I'm conerned.
    Had a look at the fb thread- someone's saying sainsbury's own brand soya milk is good.
    I'm really pissed off about this, I'm missing tea- I keep making cups but only drinking half cos unless I chug it down while it's hot enough to burn off my tastebuds that vanilla taste is just rank.
    I'm surprised that Alpro is 'taken aback by the passion shown', this makes me think their board probly drink dairy- how else could you not realise that such a drastic change is gonna affect people? If their milk suddenly tasted of vanilla overnight, in EVERYTHING, I bet they'd bloody notice.

I've been using it up in hot chocolate, it's not so bad in that but even then, if I wanted vanilla in my hot chocolate I WOULD PUT VANILLA IN MY HOT CHOCOLATE.

Man, I was gonna make some macaroni 'cheese' today, there's no point now not if it's gonna taste of vanilla.

This is why I used Alpro not So Good- if I wanted vanilla I wouldn't be buying your soya milk for gods sake, I'd be buying one of the other million brands that make it taste of vanilla.

I might switch to rice milk- though that's normally too thin and stale-saliva-y for my taste. Might give almond milk a go, though I can't imagine that'd be any good in tea, or savoury dishes.

Oh my god, I actually could drink just a cup of alpro milk ON ITS OWN until a week ago...

Shisha, I've just had a message on FB from a lady who says that she's switched to Provamel in a light green carton from health food shops, and that it tastes quite like Alpro Soya used to - got to be worth a try! I miss my cups of tea as well.

EDIT: Here's the FB protest group - the more people who join, the more seriously they'll take it...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8856..1&v=info
    Last edited by Est; Dec 23rd, 2009 at 01:29 PM.

Default Alpro Original Soya Milk

Is it just me or has the flavour of Alpro Original Soya Milk changed along with the design of the carton?

Default Re: Alpro Original Soya Milk

Yes, I noticed the same yesterday. I really don't like the flavour - too sweet and almost vanillay.... That's so annoying - I really liked it the way it was.

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Yes, I noticed the same yesterday. I really don't like the flavour - too sweet and almost vanillay.... That's so annoying - I really liked it the way it was.
    I'm glad someone else noticed it. I much preferred it the way it was. It was perfect for putting in tea and coffee, now it ruins the flavour of the drink. I guess I'm going to have to change brands. Why must companies do that? Alter a perfectly good product?

It's also bugging me that they've reduced the amount of B12 per litre (along with, I think, calcium and vit. D). It just seems counter-productive. Any thoughts as to why they'd do this?

Quote Declan View Post
    It's also bugging me that they've reduced the amount of B12 per litre (along with, I think, calcium and vit. D). It just seems counter-productive. Any thoughts as to why they'd do this?
    Who knows? But they've lost my business. Once my last 4 bottles are finished, I'm switching to Tesco's own brand. I may write to them to complain.