Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alpro soya products

edge of sanity

Default Re: Alpro Original Soya Milk

The 'light' version has also changed packaging, but I can't tell if there's a taste difference, I still like it so didn't give it much thought. How do you know they reduced the vits? What I mean is, how can I compare old to new? I don't have any old cartons.

I don't remember specific percentages but I remember that 250ml of the old stuff gave you over 100% of your daily B12, and now 100ml gives you 15% so 250ml would only be about 38% (Guesstimate - I'm a linguist, can't do maths to save myself)

Its vile! What on earth have they done to it? Makes our cuppas taste like custard. Urgh!

There's an American brand of soya milk called Silk which comes in a vanilla flavour. It tastes like that. However, Silk also makes an unsweetened version for those who don't want vanilla flavour, which is good for coffee and tea and which I actually prefer to Alpro.

There's another thread about this - called something like Alpro Light Unsweetened or something - and also a facebook protest group if anyone wants to add some negative comments!

I drink "So Good" and quite like it. I don't drink tea though, so no idea what it tastes like in tea.
    http://www.sogood.co.uk/so-good-soya...nal-soya-milk/
    All is fair in love and war...

...as long as I'm not losing!

Quote NimbyDagda View Post
    I drink "So Good" and quite like it. I don't drink tea though, so no idea what it tastes like in tea.
    http://www.sogood.co.uk/so-good-soya...nal-soya-milk/
    I've tried So Good but I didn't like it in tea and coffee.

I cant remember the full details but weren't alpro recently sold off to dean foods (a giant dairy company)? The reduction of vits was probably so its cheaper to make and the taste change was probably a poor attempt to widen its appeal or something. I think the people that owned them before were a big animal fat company tho so I guess its not that much of a change :/

Regardless it does taste quite custardy now. While that is sometimes a good thing, in tea and in cooking it is not

I really like plamil's soya milk the best, although its really hard to find. I usually get rice dream at the moment..

Quote f2097 View Post
    I cant remember the full details but weren't alpro recently sold off to dean foods (a giant dairy company)? The reduction of vits was probably so its cheaper to make and the taste change was probably a poor attempt to widen its appeal or something. I think the people that owned them before were a big animal fat company tho so I guess its not that much of a change :/

Regardless it does taste quite custardy now. While that is sometimes a good thing, in tea and in cooking it is not

I really like plamil's soya milk the best, although its really hard to find. I usually get rice dream at the moment..
    I think I'll give Plamil a try. There's a health food shop on my way home from that sells it I think.

It definitely tastes awful! I wont buy it again until they put it back as it was. It wasnt so bad in my coco pops but the cup of tea was just disgusting

Ill check out the facebook group!

I've found the best choice for plain soya milk, which is nice in tea and practically everything in my opinion is own brand soya milk, sweetened or unsweetened, they rarely have that vanillary taste. Tesco's is our failsafe for a nice plain taste.

We get our shopping delivered by Waitrose so I'm going to try their own brand soya milk both sweetened and unsweetened.

What also makes the taste change annoying is that most coffee shops use Alpro so now I'll have to drink black coffee if I have coffee outside the house. I don't mind it black but I do prefer milk. Stupid Alpro! I hope this does affect their sales, maybe they'll be forced to change it back.
    Last edited by veganatheist78; Jan 9th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

I've now used the Sainsburys own brand sweetened UHT soya milk (blue carton) and the Co-op own brand unsweetened UHT soya milk (pale green carton). Both are good on cereal and in tea. I think either would be fine for cooking savoury foods too, as the tastes are 'neutral'. The Sainsburys one is my favourite as it is fortified with vitamins, but the Co-op one is organic and has no additives at all, so that might appeal to some people. Both are recommended, anyway!

morrisons soya milk is nice, fresh or uht and it doesn't curdle in hot drinks, i couldn't get any last week so bought alpro and thought it tasted funny, i know why now!

Zero

I don't mind the new taste of Alpro, it just tastes creamier to me. I prefer the old version but I think thats just because I am used to soy milk tasting of soy, the new Alpro doesn't but I will get used to it.

I can see why they have done it, in an attempt to get the product more mainstream they have eliminated that soy bean taste that a lot of people can't seem to get past.

It's all relative really, I never really liked cows milk so back when I started used soy milk I thought it tasted funny, but I soon got used to the taste.

I would imagine that if someone had never drank cows milk their whole life and then tried it for the first time that would taste funny too, but we all know what most humans are like when it comes to change.

Maybe there is something wrong with my taste buds but I can't really tell the difference I suppose baking with it will be the acid test...

Yeh, the new fresh one is horrid in tea now. I don't drink soya milk on its own (yuck), but I tried this one because it's so vanilla-ish and it was ok, which makes me think they've forgotten the tea drinkers when they've done their taste testing. I prefer the UHT ones - you can't go wrong with those.

Can I comment? Being a newbie and all... I bought this for the first time today as it is all the shop had. As I've never had it before, and only tried the organic by Alpro (which is shockingly awful!) I actually thought it was nice, and much better in tea than its organic counterpart.

That said, I won't be buying it again, as it is now owned by the largest dairy farm company in the US, Dean Foods I think, and therefore I can't support it. That probably explains the repackaging and change of flavour too. Our vegan shop in Derby city centre has boycotted it now.

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    Maybe there is something wrong with my taste buds but I can't really tell the difference I suppose baking with it will be the acid test...

I can't taste any difference either
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Are you all referring to the fresh/chilled version, or the Tetra-Pak? I've not noticed any new packaging on the TP regular one.

oh they haven't got it in my tesco yet...i bought some on saturday still the old style.
    i'm glad if they've reduced the B12 , I always get way too much of that.

It's the fresh one but I imagine the UHT one is next.

My local shop has two brands now - Alpro and Soya Soleil Unsweetened. The Soya Soleil is 60p cheaper so I bought that and had the best cup of tea I've had since turning vegan (two weeks ago!).
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Blueberry...Soya Soleil rocks my world, i dont buy the sweetened version anymore because i drink it out of the carton...all of it...at once...

Heh, I bought some Alpro Soya just before I read this thread - usually I buy rice milk - and at first, I didn't notice a particular sweetness, but the more I drank it in tea, the worse it got! I feel like I've been drinking milk for the last few days

Quote NimbyDagda View Post
    Tasts like cardboard to me. Im sad alpro has changed.
    Vegetarian since 1984 Vegan since 2006!

Quote Blueberry View Post
    That said, I won't be buying it again, as it is now owned by the largest dairy farm company in the US, Dean Foods I think, and therefore I can't support it. That probably explains the repackaging and change of flavour too. Our vegan shop in Derby city centre has boycotted it now.
    Does this apply to Provamel too?!

Wow, I bought it for the first time yesterday because people would always go on about how it tastes great - and now I just read this thread!
    I think it tastes nice though. I was a bit disappointed by the low B12 quantity though.

Default alpro soya milk

i remember some time back a discussion on alpro soya milk and how it had changed...well morrisons have changed their recipe for their uht soya milk and it's just like the old alpro but still doesn't curdle in coffee and tea, well done morrisons! just thought i'd share that info
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 24th, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Quote Manzana View Post
    Does this apply to Provamel too?!
    Yes, Provamel is Alpro's organic brand.

Dean Foods own 16% of the US dairy market (2007 figure, from corporate site)
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Alpro Soya Milk / Cream

Provamel Rice Milk has added calcium etc.

I don't like soy very much, I don't like the aftertaste. I've been told to try almond milk because it doesn't have an aftertase apprently?

Zero

Quote Mollfie View Post
    I don't like soy very much, I don't like the aftertaste. I've been told to try almond milk because it doesn't have an aftertase apprently?
    Try the new Alpro then, it doesn't taste like soy anymore.

I have and it still tastes weird.

Zero

Haha oh well.

I think a lot of things like that probably taste weird, yet if you'd been drinking it from a young age like they do in the far east you would have become accustom to it.

There's always oat milk too, but I must warn you it kinda tastes of oats.

Default Re: alpro soya milk

Quote pie View Post
    i remember some time back a discussion on alpro soya milk and how it had changed...well morrisons have changed their recipe for their uht soya milk and it's just like the old alpro but still doesn't curdle in coffee and tea, well done morrisons! just thought i'd share that info
    Thanks for posting this, I'll have to try it again now, I never much liked it before and was one of the reasons not to do my regular shop there
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Zero View Post
    Try the new Alpro then, it doesn't taste like soy anymore.
    new alpro is gross.

And that's my critical feedback for the week.

Quote Zero View Post
    Haha oh well.

I think a lot of things like that probably taste weird, yet if you'd been drinking it from a young age like they do in the far east you would have become accustom to it.

There's always oat milk too, but I must warn you it kinda tastes of oats.
    I think it's just that I'm not used to it, and like with anything if I just keep trying it I'll get used to it and not notice anymore.

Default Re: alpro soya milk

Quote pie View Post
    Thanks for that Pie, will give it a try

Looks like I'm one of the few who still like Alpro. (I have the unsweetened Light one.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default what's the difference between the alpro soya organic milk and the provamel milk?

seen as they are both are the same company,
    but provamel is mean't to be the organic range,
    so why is alpro soya doing a organic milk,
    why have they got a provamel milk and a organic alpro soya milk?
    and what's the difference?

Zero

Default Re: what's the difference between the alpro soya organic milk and the provamel m

http://corporate.alpro.com/en/organi.../strategy.html

Not much - Alpro is aimed at supermarkets and has some organic products, Provamel is aimed solely at health food stores and the entire range is organic.

Default Re: what's the difference between the alpro soya organic milk and the provamel m

thanks,
    but i have read that and seen that page before,
    but i still don't understand why they would avertise a alpro soya organic milk when
    they are trying to sell provamel as the organic alternative??
    confusing!

though maybe it's because the alpro organic milk i got in a supermarket and the provamel you get in health stores, do you think?

Zero

Does it matter?

yeah, i suppose
    but i just wondered if it's any better by a envirement or health standpoint or in any other way.

patientia

Do they have nutrient tables? Ingredient lists with percentages of some ingredients? Are those the same? Do they cost the same? Do they taste the same?

Zero

Well, one difference I just thought of is that if a product is listed as organic you cannot fortify it with vitamins, so I suppose alpro goes to into the supermarkets and most of it is fortified and a good direct replacement for milk (much of which as we know is also fortified). Whereas the exclusively organic range goes into Health Food stores because perhaps there is the assumption that the people who shop there are likely more "up on nutrition"?

I should imagine the reason they did it was because Alpro has become a well recognised brand and the supermarkets who have massive buying power told the company that they didn't want it to be available in wholefood shops (who are mostly independant and have little buying power) because they want people to come in to the supermarket to get it. The exception may be Holland and Barrett who as a national chain may have a bit more sway than Independants.

Default Alpro Soya Yog ? Strange Taste

Has anyone else purchased an Alpro Soya Yog 500ml pot natural with an end code of May / June it has a very unusual vanilla taste to it, almost like the fruit Yog base has been put in the Natural Base pot.

I am going to ring them and find out what has happened, if there has been a change I missed please let me know.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Re: Alpro Soya Yog ? Strange Taste

They do a big pot of vanilla which looks very similar to the natural pot...are you sure it isn't a vanilla pot you picked up? Or if not maybe they've put the vanilla yogurt in the natural pot (had a bit of a mishap in the factory).
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Default Re: Alpro Soya Yog ? Strange Taste

Yeah, there is two. The vanilla one isn't labelled very well, just small text on the lid..:I did think it was quiet tasty though