Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpro soya products

Default Alpro soya products

Hi.
    does anyone else have this?
    i have just started to have it instead of rice milk because its got all the calcium and vitamins in. Including B12!!

Default Re: Alpro Soya Milk Light Unsweetened

I'm not sure if it's the light one, but I prefer the unsweetened Alpro.

I found it weird that they needed a light version - since the regular version is so low in fat... another marketing tool????Aimed at the non- vegan market I think?
    Is it much different in taste to the regular???

I think you are right, Nick. Soy milk is getting pretty "hip" with the omni dieting crowd.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I think maybe a lot of people these days think that they are being healthy by having soya milk in the fridge, if they actually drink it or whatever is another thing entirly though. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I tried it a few months ago, and wrote about it here
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

veggiewoman

I started off using the original one in the fridge section lol,then moved onto the organic unsweetend alpro soya milk and find it fab to use.
    The good thing with it aswell is it has a longer shelf life too.

Tesco value soya milk for me

It's actually my favourite out of all of the ones I've found in the supermarkets (and 65p a litre).

At one point I was thinking of getting a soya milk maker (works out about 15p a litre apparently) -- but soon after that I simply changed to having lots of fruit for breakfast so I'm only drinking a litre a week now.

Owen

I love this stuff, I switched from the regular Alpro a few weeks ago, and find it much more pleasant. I still use the "full-fat" Alpro for some recipes (made a lovely rice pud with it last night), but find the light version better for almost everything else. It's good if you're watching your weight too - less calories than skimmed milk, whereas the "full-fat" version seems to be roughly equivalent to semi-skimmed milk.

I tried a carton a few days ago and didn't like it at all. To me it tasted sort of artificial and was almost as bad as So Good. Yuck! I'll stick with the regular Alpro.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Having never been the biggest fan of soya milk I have just bought some Alpro Soya Light out of curiosity and it is......FANTASTIC
    For anyone else who's not too keen on the flavour of 'regular' soya milk I highly recommend it, there's no discernible aftertaste at all - I reckon I could get even get my mum to drink some in a cup of tea or coffee without noticing it wasn't anything other than cows milk
    I completely agree with Poison Ivy!

i've probably said this somewhere else but i don't like the 'light' Alpro. it still tastes of soya milk to me but with a sickly artificial vanilla flavour to it. i'd say it probably is marketed at non-vegans but a lot of what Alpro make these days seems to be going that way. whether that's a bad thing or not, i don't know.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i'd say it probably is marketed at non-vegans but a lot of what Alpro make these days seems to be going that way. whether that's a bad thing or not, i don't know.
    There's an advert on the side of the non-sweetened for a salmon recipe so they seem to aiming more at the non vegan/veggie market. On the whole I think it's good that they are targetting non vegans as it makes many more people aware that there are tasty dairy free alternatives.

Its horrible stuff. Nearly as horrible as so good

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    There's an advert on the side of the non-sweetened for a salmon recipe so they seem to aiming more at the non vegan/veggie market. On the whole I think it's good that they are targetting non vegans as it makes many more people aware that there are tasty dairy free alternatives.
    i saw that fish recipe so they're presumably not a vegan company (i don't know if they started out as a vegan company though?). i just worry that some of their products are starting to get a bit gimmicky/faddy and as the business becomes more successful it's possible that they'll lose their ethical policies. of course it's a good thing to introduce non-vegans to vegan products though, especially if that means they reduce their dairy consumption as a result.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    There's an advert on the side of the non-sweetened for a salmon recipe so they seem to aiming more at the non vegan/veggie market.
    That really irritates me, just like when Sainsbury's add the giant words 'juicy prawns' along with a colour illustration to the packs of wholemeal pittas. Yuck!

What's wrong with a nice picture of some falafel and salad?!?!?!?!?!?!

I don't remember which brand it was, but there's another brand of soy milk here and I was on their website. They had a recipe section and I thought it might have some vegan items but it wasn't vegan. Obviously their target market are just "health concious" (haha) omnivores.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Does alpro soya light taste like so good? I was going to try some but I can't stand so good, so if it does there's not much point in me trying it.
    I like the regular alpro soya milk best, or holland and barretts own brand.

I'd be surprised if it did as So Good isn't a proper Soy Milk, rather it's made from Soya Isolate.

It's nice on cereals (the Alpro light), but for tea etc, I prefer the Tesco value to all the others.
    When they ran out recently I was inconsolable! Alpro tastes like custard in tea.

I didn't realise So Good wasn't a proper soya milk - it's my favourite brand. I don't really like the taste of the Alpro ones, especially in hot drinks. Although in my opinion the Alpro Light tastes better than ordinary Alpro soya milk.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

I really, really don't like this Soya Milk Light stuff. I can't actually see the point in it. Soya milk is low calorie anyway, especially if it's unsweetened, but personally I never use the unsweetened stuff, except in savoury cooking. On cereal/in tea it's Alpro sweetened all the way. It's still fortified with the vitamins and all.

No offence to anyone who drinks this by the way, each to their own obviously! Just not my bag.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

It is the lighter flavour and thinner consistency that I like about Alpro Light, nothing to do with calories!
    But I don't buy sweetened soya milk as I don't like it in tea (I don't take sugar).

I like Alpro light, but I can't stand any soya in tea, it tastes like cardboard to me, I drink tea weak and black now.

ETA: Just went to try alpro light in tea and you're right it tastes like custard cream biscuits (yummy!)

Default Alpro soya tofu mince and pieces

Has anyone tried the new Alpro tofu stuff? Seemingly they're only in Asda at the moment but hopefully will catch on. Tofu mince sounds a bit squishy so am curious to see if anyone has tried it and what it's like...

Default Re: Alpro soya tofu mince and pieces

I've not had the mince but I did get the seasoned tofu pieces, I liked them

seitan

ive not heard of these untiel now.
    its gonna be hard convincing my wife we need to buy from walmart !!

I have used the tofu mince...it is quite nice really not squishy at all...I have some tofu pieces in the fridge as well.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Belsoy is the equivalent to Alpro, here in Canada. Except Alpro have a lot more products available than Belsoy. I wish we had all the Alpro products (under the Belsoy banner) here in Canada. You guys are lucky!

Ooh, thanks Witchy. Sounds intriguing. Hopefully they'll start selling in more/less walmarty places too.

How funny, Roxy!! It's all in the same packaging and everything!

Weird, never knew Alpro was in Canada under a different name!

seitan

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Weird, never knew Alpro was in Canada under a different name!
    i dont think thats what she was saying.

Urm..we didn't mean that the UK name is better than the UK one or anything, or that we weren't feeling Roxy's lack of alpro tofu pain, it's just funny to see the familiar boxes with an unfamiliar name.

Anyway, it's all the same company so they might be launching more products soon Roxy. And we're not really that lucky cos Canada's got loads of cool vegan stuff!

pavotrouge

I haven't tried the mince but lurked into a package... very little stuff for quite a lot of Ł!
    I have tried the tofu pieces when they were only 1 € due to nearing expiration date and well, I could've done that myself.

They also make some "harissa" balls that are quite good to through into a tagine or something if you're in a hurry and want some protein.

I need to try these. I love things made with whole soy.

I'd like to try these. Only one problem:there's no asda near me which stocks it.

Check if one near you does:

http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/alpro/documents/fi/37.doc

JC

i love how alpro is branching out, they're my favourite company the other day sainsbury's were doing a promotion on the yoghurts and loads of people were queuing up to try it. woo, spread the soya word!!!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I've tried the alpro tofu pieces and they didn't have the same texture and flavour as couldron- couldron all the way for me i'm afraid

Jippia

I like the mince and the pieces. However, I usually buy the same kind of products from the Albert Heijn store brand, but for a lower price. Whenever they are on sale, I buy lots of boxes and put them in the freezer. They keep well for a long time. I use them in one pot dishes such as Indonesian fried rice and the mince goes well in pasta dishes. Even my husband likes those if they are in a one pot dish, so that is why I always keep them at hand. I also like them plain, instead of a burger with my potatoes and vegetables.

pavotrouge

I saw a couple of new products in the store today, including tofu-lentil cakes and two or three new flavours of tofu strips.

'Pieces' in Scotland mean sandwiches.
    I was wondering what the hell this thread was gonna be about? Mince sandwich?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

pavotrouge

well why not ^^ people in the UK eat weird things at times, so that wouldn't really surprise me. so what do you say instead of "pieces", chunks or something?

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    well why not ^^ people in the UK eat weird things at times, so that wouldn't really surprise me. so what do you say instead of "pieces", chunks or something?
    the word 'piece' is used as normal to mean a part or a bit of something.
    It's just, in the context of food, 'pieces' is used as well, but it's an older, working class word.......it would mean a sandwich you made yourself, not something bought.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    well why not ^^ people in the UK eat weird things at times, so that wouldn't really surprise me.
    sorry, but that is true... dunno how one could SOAK something in brown sauce or really like dandelion&burdock...... (just for example)
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

i've never tried alpro light just the regular kind, but after reading this i think i'll give it a shot (i agree that so good is awful)

cobweb

it's horrible!

but why do people keep saying that soya milk is low calorie and low fat??
    not so!

yuk, i only like the normal version of alpro

I drink almond milk since I have menstrual problems and apparently soy milk isn't recommended due to the hormones in it (my mom is the one that doesn't let me drink it actually, and I've grown to like chocolate almond milk better) But rice milk is also good, especially with all the vitamins in it.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Okay, so having not been to Morrisons this week I was down to my last half carton of Alpro light, I popped into Somerfield to get a normal carton of Alpro Soya to put me on until later next week when I came across this stuff called 'Soya Magic'. As it was on special offer I thought I'd give it a try....it is NOT GOOD, one drink I made with it got tipped away, and the rest of the carton swiftly followed. Special offer or no special offer I shall NOT be buying it again!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

presumably you'll be using their money back offer on their website then Poison Ivy?