Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alpro soya products

Default Re: Alpro Soya Yog ? Strange Taste

quite*

patientia

The vanilla one has a picture of a vanilla orchid flower. At least in Austria.

The recipe has been changed recently.

You're so lucky that you can get vanilla Alpro yogurt (as opposed to the desserts). I've seen it on the continent but not here
    Houmous atá ann!

Not real name!

My better half commented that her Alpro yoghurt tasted of vanilla last week. I asked if she'd picked up the right one. She didn't answer and I didn't pursue it. Never ask a woman if they might have made a mistake while they are in the kitchen where numerous sharp things are kept.

^ You're a wise man Glen.

I love the new vanilla yoghurt and make smoothies with it. Then recently I needed to buy plain yoghurt for a recipe and bought the plain tub but it still had a slight vanilla taste to it.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

^ I think it has a slight vanilla taste to it too - but I do prefer the consistency to the old one. It is much less watery. Mmmm...I just love soya yoghurt! I recommend some chocolate granola sprinkled into it - the perfect dessert!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I definitely notice a difference. My partner isn't keen on the new taste. Too sweet, she says. I don't mind it, but it's akin to the whole Pure 'cheese' incident...
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Yep, the plain Alpro definitely seems to have changed and become more sweet and vanilla-y, no good for savoury cooking now

The Provamel plain seems to be okay still, but more difficult to find, I've ended up buying Sojasun plain the last couple of times, as it's a more convenient size as well.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    Yep, the plain Alpro definitely seems to have changed and become more sweet and vanilla-y, no good for savoury cooking now
    Do you not think it is more akin to sour cream now? I love it on top of chilli!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Default Re: Alpro soya products

I have been trying the Alpro Plus Cholesterol Lowering soya milk this week. Its not great, I find it very thin and not at all good for making hot chocolate or Cappuccinos.

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Yeah the almond milk is yum, especially in cereal. I have a carton of the hazelnut in the fridge too and I'm looking forward to trying it.

ooh same. i love the almond milk in coffee! i'm drinking it right now. i also have some hazelnut milk to try. regarding alpro yogurt, my (omni) dad ate the last of my plain yofu last night when there was a full carton on cows milk yogurt in the fridge. i was so angry!!!!! i can't imagine just picking something up without reading what it was and eating it (unless it's fruit or veg!)

Perhaps your dad likes the yofu better than the cows' milk yogurt, veganosie? In which case it's good news, though obviously not for you if you wanted to eat it yourself

harpy, he didn't even notice. but i can always hope. i'm always trying to get him to consume fewer dairy products as he has asthma but he just won't believe it, even though my asthma has practically disappeared since i went vegan

Well, if he didn't even notice the difference then surely there's no reason for him not to try switching to non-dairy yogurt? Mind you, I know logic doesn't always work on one's nearest and dearest - frustrating, innit?

Quote veganosie View Post
    My (omni) dad ate the last of my plain yofu last night
    My dad eats my soya yoghurts too, he pretends he doesn't know that they're soya even though its written on the packaging! I don't mind sharing, we buy loads so there's enough for the two of us. He also eats my Swedish Glace ice-cream, again which I don't mind as long as he buys me more!

oh if only i could get him to! maybe i'll just buy a load and convert him..........damn student loan, i'm running out of money just thinking about it!

We're trying the new almond and hazelnut milk at the moment. So far the almond one is really nice, especially in tea. I might even prefer it to soy. My fiancé loves their chocolate soy milk more than dairy chocolate milk because he finds it less sickly and he's a bit of a dairy fan. He is aware of how horrid the industry is, he's trying his best.

Finally got around to opening that carton of hazelnut milk this morning - totally lovely. It might just be my favourite plant milk

I just want to say that I love the new Alpro almond and hazelnut milks. I also love the Alpro vanilla soya milk for coffee.

Quote Barry View Post
    Finally got around to opening that carton of hazelnut milk this morning - totally lovely. It might just be my favourite plant milk

I agree! My local Tesco store now stocks both the Alpro Hazelnut and the Alpro Almond Milks. Tried the Hazelnut with my fruit and nut muesli yesterday, and, despite its non-milky colour, it is delicious.

Have not tried the Almond yet, but I hope it is better than the Ecomil Almond Natural Drink which I purchased from Amazon a month ago. Couldn't get almond milk locally at that time, and so I bought a pack of 3 with free delivery, mainly so that I could make a recipe for rich chocolate almond ice cream which I had found online. Didn't like the taste of the ice cream very much, and preferred both coconut milk and rice milk, and even soya milk, with my muesli.

The Alpro Hazelnut is tons better than the Ecomil Almond, and it will be interesting to see how their Almond compares. It also comes in an easy to open and pour Tetrapak, which has often been a bone of contention with me as far as Rice Dream is concerned. I have lost count of the number of faulty "opening caps" I have encountered on their longlife packs. Their website shows that their chilled version comes with the more sensible, and, as far as I am concerned, hassle-free type of "opening cap", but I cannot buy that locally.

The Alpro Hazelnut is so delicious, that I might buy just that milk only in future!

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

I try and avoid Alpro and Provamel products because of this:

http://www.vegaplanet.org/?p=602

Sojade make yoghurt and milk. And Plamil, and Kallo make soya milk too.

I actually much prefer the taste of So Good Soya Milk, which I believe is a Kallo brand, to that of its Alpro equivalent, and I used to be able to buy it at my local Tesco store (which I know I should also avoid because of their policy in their stores in China), but now they stock only Alpro and own brand.

To buy So Good now I would have to travel 30 - 40 miles round trip to larger Tesco stores, and even then I could not guarantee that they would have stock.

Unfortunately, one of the disadvantages of moving from the Bournemouth area to a semi-rural part of Wales is that there is a much more restricted choice of suppliers of vegan products "on my doorstep".

My view is, if we are going to avoid or boycott things because they are taken over by non vegan companies we will be in the long run doing ourselves or the animals no favours. I don't care who owns Alpro as long as the products are not tested on animals and don't contain animal ingredients.
    We go back to the scenario that if we are to avoid EVERYTHING non vegan we should just sit in a cave and wait to die.
    p.s. If we still buy vegan goods even though they are owned by non vegan companies it shows there is a market for such goods and that can only be a positive thing.

I'm sure I heard that they were owned by a similar company before so not that much of a change. I think they were owned by vandemoortele or even started by them. I used to think they were a vegan company but I don't think that has ever been the case.

i bought the provamel plain yogurt today and it is not a patch on alpro. though i am hoping somebody makes a vegan greek yogurt soon because i may just die if they don't. (i know they sell it in the US but i can't afford to fly over just for yogurt....though i wish i could)

Quote sandra View Post
    My view is, if we are going to avoid or boycott things because they are taken over by non vegan companies we will be in the long run doing ourselves or the animals no favours. I don't care who owns Alpro as long as the products are not tested on animals and don't contain animal ingredients.
    We go back to the scenario that if we are to avoid EVERYTHING non vegan we should just sit in a cave and wait to die.
    p.s. If we still buy vegan goods even though they are owned by non vegan companies it shows there is a market for such goods and that can only be a positive thing.
    100% agree.

Alpro is great but they have changed the taste of Alpro natural youghurt it used to be perfect to use with chili and in curry but now it has an underlying sweetness to it. I contacted them and they confirmed they have changed the ingredients of the original yoghurt which is shame. But for savoury I now buy Provamel sorry Alpro. But I am still get all the other Alpro brands. Good stuff all the way.

Quote BilTan View Post
    I actually much prefer the taste of So Good Soya Milk, which I believe is a Kallo brand
    I felt the same way until they changed the recipe, now it doesnt taste that great. I prefer M&S mylk - tastes like So Good used to, as does Delamere Soya mylk.

Quote sandra View Post
    That's your perogative. I wasn't having a pop, just passing on information I found disturbing and thought others might be interested in. I do care who owns Alpro, and I'm curious as to how my not buying their products doesn't help animals?

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I felt the same way until they changed the recipe, now it doesnt taste that great. I prefer M&S mylk - tastes like So Good used to, as does Delamere Soya mylk.
    I haven't bought So Good for some time now, because I switched to Kara Coconut Milk and Rice Dream in preference to soya milk, which I only use now to make my own vegan ice cream, and so I wasn't aware that the recipe had changed for the worse.

Unfortunately, my nearest M&S foodstore is about a 35 miles round trip away, and so I don't shop there.

Anyway, I think I will standardise on the Alpro Hazelnut Milk now, and will even try it when I make ice cream, as soon as I have used up my stock of Alpro single cream.

Quote Cece View Post
    I try and avoid Alpro and Provamel products because of this:

http://www.vegaplanet.org/?p=602

Sojade make yoghurt and milk. And Plamil, and Kallo make soya milk too.
    Sojade's parent company make dairy and goat's milk products.
    http://www.triballat.fr/en/index.html

and...

Kallo's parent company have subsidiaries making dairy, honey, fish and meat products.
    http://www.wessanen.com/en/

Alpro's good enough for me
    Last edited by teaboy; Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: further information

i agree that if we boycotted everywhere that had connections with the dairy industry we would all starve.

by the way, has anyone tried redwood's "wot no dairy" desserts? i thought they would be a nice alternative to alpro yogurt as they are soya free and come in little tubs that you don't have to refrigerate. however i tried the apricot&peach one and the plain one and both were absolutely foul. opinions?

^^ I agree, they taste awful - like Granovita Soyage. I prefer Rice & Rice desserts.

firestorm, what are the rice desserts you have?

The are from a company called Probios, I have had the Vanilla & Chocolate versions and they are both quite good (sweet but good) you can buy them on line:
    http://www.macrobioticshop.co.uk/pro...dessert-2x100g
    http://www.dietaryneedsdirect.co.uk/...odCategoryID=5

thank you! sweet is good. i shall order some!

I just had a look at the new Alpro website, along with the new Hazelnut/Almond milks, they have also started making creamy style yogurts, pouring yogurt and a lower fat single cream alternative. Now if only they would start selling their Speculoos pudding in the UK I would be a happy man.

it would seem all my dreams are coming true. now if they would just make greek yogurt and creme fraiche i may just have to live on soy alone.

Both my local Waitrose and Sainsbury's have the creamy yoghurts. They are addictive. Sainsbury's have them on special offer for 75p right now.

Just tried the new Vanilla Pouring Yogurt.
    Its quite nice, but basically just a sloppier slightly cheaper version their vanilla yogurt

Quote Firestorm
    Just tried the new Vanilla Pouring Yogurt.
    Its quite nice, but basically just a sloppier slightly cheaper version their vanilla yogurt
    I tried it as a free sample recently but haven't seen it commercially available here yet. I didn't think it tasted vanilla-y. I've never been able to get Alpro, or any, vanilla soya yoghurt here, all the other Alpro yoghurts are available but not vanilla. I used to get the vanilla Provamel yoghurt when I was in Spain and loooved it, but I can't get any kind here
    Houmous atá ann!

Its a shame you can't get the vanilla products in Ireland, the Vanilla Provamel yoghurt (I usually get it in H&B) is nice although I found the Alpro version even nicer but the only place I can get that is larger Tescos. I would say email Alpro but they are not very receptive - I have emailed them about the speculoos dessert and soya macchiato milk they sell in Germany but they were not very accommodating.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I didn't think it tasted vanilla-y.
    I could taste vanilla but it was very understated, I will be sticking with the normal yoghurt in future.

I've been using the new pouring vanilla yoghurt recently and, altough I really like it, I don't like the fact that you kind of need to cut the packaging open to get everything out. Much better to scrape out of the pot. Also don't understand why it is cheaper than the regular plain yoghurt.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Alpro have another new product - light chocolate milk (UHT carton from Tesco). Its about 25 kcals and 3 grams of sugar less per 100ml than their other chocolate milks.

Just a quick one:my local wholefood store said they are no longer selling alpro soya products for ethical reasons.. The employee couldn't quite remember the reasons. Anyone got an idea why?

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk 2

Quote thegreenjudy
    Just a quick one:my local wholefood store said they are no longer selling alpro soya products for ethical reasons.. The employee couldn't quite remember the reasons. Anyone got an idea why?
    Could be because they're owned by a big multi-national dairy company?
    Houmous atá ann!