Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss advice

Default hair shedding

my hair seems to be shedding alot more than usual. anyone know the reason for this?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

foxytina_69, HERES a nutrition answer from Virginia Messina, RD, MPH about hair loss. Is that what you meant ? Its kind of on topic. Hope it helps.

thanx gert that answered my question great. u and all your website links!

Stress? Change in diet? Menstruation, perhaps?

hmmm it could be so many things lol

Default Hair loss

Does anyone know what might cause drastic hair loss related to a vegan diet? My new neighbor was telling me that her mother tried to go vegan (she is veggie) and began losing her hair. I'm sure that she wasn't getting all the vitamins and such that she needed and that the hair loss was related to a deficiency of some sort, but I don't know a lot about nutrition. What vitamins are responsible for healthy hair? What could she have been lacking so seriously that her hair fell out? I read the past thread by Foxy (hair shedding) and followed the link that gert posted, but from the desciption that my friend gave, this was much more drastic than pulling extra hairs out in the shower and it seemed to be obviously linked to the change in diet.

-JK
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 9th, 2004 at 11:24 AM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread about the same subject

lack of protein or essential fatty acids causes hair loss.

Good hair health is generally associated with adequate amounts of these vitamins and minerals:

Iron ~ blackstrap molasses, cocoa, wholegrains, wheatgerm, millet, nuts, pumpkin seeds, soya produce, beans and pulses, dark green vegetables, prunes, dates, dried apricots, parsley
    B1 (thiamin) ~ brown unpolished rice, wholegrains, wholegrain flour, brewers yeast, yeast extract, nuts, beans, peas, cereals, potatoes
    B2 (riboflavin) ~ wild rice, wholewheat pasta, soya milk, whole grain cereals, brewer's yeast, yeast extract, pulses, seeds
    B3 (nicotinic acid (also known as niacin) and nicotinamide ) ~ fortified cereals, wholemeal bread, brewer's yeast, yeast extract, nuts and seeds, soya beans, potatoes, dried fruit, tomatoes and peas
    B5 (pantothenic acid) ~ peanuts, avocado, mushrooms, seeds and other nuts, pumpkin, dates, bananas, wholegrain cereals
    B6 (pyrodoxine) ~ whole grains (breakfast cereals, especially muesli and bran flakes, brown rice, brown bread, porridge oats, etc.), wheatgerm, brewer's yeast, nuts and seeds, lentils, potatoes, baked beans, soya beans, bananas (note - considerable loss of B6 can occur during cooking)
    Biotin (was B8) ~ whole grains (wholemeal bread, brown rice, bran cereals), nuts and beans, peas, cauliflower
    Folic acid (was B9) ~ leafy green vegetables (especially spinach and curly kale), sprouts, broccoli, brewer's yeast, wholegrain cereals, pulses and oranges
    B12 (cobalamin) ~ fortified cereals, brewer's yeast, yeast extract, blackstrap molasses, seaweeds (B12 is present in blue-green algae such as spirulina and chlorella but it may not be well absorbed by the body)
    C ~ ascorbic acid ~ fresh fruit and vegetables and their juices, especially guava fruit, kiwi fruit, currants, brocolli, brussells sprouts and peppers (vit C is easily destroyed in cooking) ~ you may find this link for a nutrition chart useful
    Zinc ~ popcorn, nuts and seeds (especially walnuts, brazil nuts and sesame seeds), wholegrain cereals, pulses, ginger root, and green vegetables
    Omega 3s ~ derived from linolenic acid ~ found in flaxseed oil, rapeseed oil, soya beans, walnuts
    Omega 6s ~ derived from linoleic and archidonic acids ~ sourced from olive, sunflower, corn oil, evening primrose, starflower oil (borage).

Dietary imbalance/nutritional deficiencies can bring about temporary hair loss/thinning as can stress or shock and hormonal imbalance. Womens' hair can be affected by the hormonal changes brought about by pregnancy and the menopause.

The side effects of some medications - oral contraceptives, anti-coagulants being two typical examples - and chemotherapy can also cause hair loss.

Iron deficiency anaemia and hypothryoidism can also be causes of hair loss. Hair loss is just one of the (many) symptoms of hypothyroidism. (As with everything else, common sense is important here - if you feel there is an underlying problem that needs further investigation then make an appointment to see a doctor, preferably one that is understanding and/or knowledgable about your dietary choices.)

From a personal perspective I find that, despite eating all the right foods, taking a good all-round vegan friendly multivitamin and mineral supplement each day really does help my hair - if I don't take a supplement for a while then my hair (the hair on top of my head is affected most) starts thinning again. My hair problems could be just one of the joys of being 53, who knows! However, our individual "genetic soup" should always be taken into consideration.

Btw, I also take a starflower oil capsule (vegan friendly capsule) every day as this really does benefit my skin as well as my hair.

Hope this is useful to your neighbour's mum.

PinkFluffyCloud

I know I don't always eat quite as healthily as I should, and lately I have had stress by the bucketload, yet I always get complimented on my thick, shiny hair.Guess I'm just lucky?

There was an article about this in the paper at the weekend by A Doctor, which said hair loss was commonly due either to lack of iron or to thyroid underfunction (which may be helped by consuming a bit more iodine, e.g. seaweed such as kelp).

Here's a link, but be warned, there's bits you won't like:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magaz...343355,00.html

tails4wagging

There are lots of reasons of hair loss and being vegan isnt one of them, as long as she has a healthy balanced diet. Stress can trigger hair loss.

Default Food good for hair?

or supplements?

and what's the best way to consume flax seeds? what's the best brand?

PinkFluffyCloud

I was finding out about flaxseeds today - apparently the oil is much better than the seeds which contain more phytoestrogens and less of the essential fatty acids.
    Drinking lots of water is good for your hair and skin, and Broccoli is meant to be good for your hair (shame i can't seem to tolerate it anymore) - and essential oils.

Until I started taking flaxseed oil (2 tsp per day), my hair was fuzzy and unmanageable - it fixed everything. And walnuts and avocado are awesome too

drummer

bananas, nuts, soy bean oil, flaxseed oil, seeds are good for hair and nails. I have noticed since I introduced soy milk and soy yogurt into my diet, my nails are so strong, I can't break them even if I want to.
    Drinking plenty of water is good for the skin, as well as avoiding sugar and saturated fat.

HMMMMM,

That must be why I lean towards these kinds of foods. I've heard that flax seed is good for your heart besides. After my supply of flax seeds is gone, then I will be using the flax oil instead.

What is Phytoestrogen's?

K4J

PinkFluffyCloud

It is my (layperson's) understanding that Phytoestrogens are literally plant 'hormones' which are similar in effect to human Oestrogen, the female hormone, and huge quantities of them could affect the body's natural store of hormones.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, though, others!!

Default Thinning hair and Iodine?

Ive recently noticed my hair is thinning on the top (Im female), particulary around my hairline. Ive recently read about Iodine having an effect on thyroid, and how thinning hair is a symptom of hypothyroidism. I also have dry skin which is (Im told) another symptom. I have never supplemented iodine, and realise now that maybe Im lacking in it. Has anyone else experienced this? Ive just started taking an iodine supplement (at safe levels) in the hope that this will sort it out. Anyone any further advice? or ideas on what else i can do to stop my extremely long hair from falling out any further!!

xxFlame7

prilly-pie

Default Re: Thinning hair and Iodine?

My hair too, is thinning an awful lot- please post any information and experiences that may be helpful. It's highly worrying.

aprille xxx

Kevster

It is pretty good to eat sea 'vegetables' they're full of different minerals and natuarally contain iodine. I have Nori flakes occasionally, Kombu sometimes, but i often like smoked tofu with sea veggies in it, yum! By the way i have very little hair to thin....

For me it is one of the essentials, along with making sure i'm getting regular omega-3s through hemp oil/flax and B12 through soya milk and community foods yeast extract (Marmite) but not the Unilever kind!

tails4wagging

Suggest you get a Thyroid Function Test. See your GP.

yogini

i take kelp tablets for idone..

perhaps the hairloss might be due to something else? stress? change in climate? a new shampoo or conditioner? not enough oils might make your hair dry and prone to breaking. a skin condition of the scalp?

..two years ago when i was living in japan my hair started falling out heaps, it really freaked me out..it wasnt in clumps (which i hear is what happens when stress is the cause) but generally thinning all over. Everyone in my family has heaps of hair including my 60 year old dad, so it wasnt genetic! so i went to the doctors and had heaps of tests and they said my diet was fine and my blood was fine..they didnt know why it was happening either. i wasnt stressed (until it started falling out of course!) so i didnt think that was the cause..

it fell out for about a year, in huge handfuls, i thought i would go bald, but amazingly i didnt!! my hairdresser said that as long as new hair is coming through you wont go bald, so dont worry..

now its slowed down and grown back to normal. i still dont knopw why it happened. but ive spoke to people snce who have experienced the same thing. maybe its just something that happens to people every now and then. but toreassure yourself it isnt medical, see a doctor and get all the tests and if all is clear then just wait it out, it will stop eventually..

Default hi, protein hair questions

hi,

I am 19 years old and vegan. I thought I was eating a well balanced diet more recently but I have been having problems with my hair. It breaks easily and is a little bit thiner than normal. I can pull some out relatively easily and was wondering what this could be from, thinking protein needs not being met pehaps.

thank you

Default Re: hi, protein hair questions

Hi there!

check this out
    article:
    Can a Vegan Diet Damage Your Hair?

Question:
    I have been a vegan for about six months and haven't looked back since the scales fell from my eyes. I just do NOT eat animals nor do I consume eggs, milk etc. -- there's no temptation. I enjoy selecting the foods I purchase, preparing the meals, eating my meals, and I believe I am choosing foods that include all the vitamins and minerals that I must have to remain healthy.

Effortlessly, I went from 137 pounds and have normalized at 123 pounds, which is "just right" for my 5"3" frame and 58 years of age. Friends do a double take when they see me, and I have to agree, I look darn good!

My only concern, so far, is my crowning glory -- my head of hair. I have noticed the beginnings of "strange hair" -- a shiny, synthetic look. It's not falling out, but it's as if each hair is getting thinner and, therefore, brittle. And, it isn't growing as fast as it used to. I've always had a head of healthy hair; I believe there's a problem here. You know my question: What must I include in my diet to ensure that my hair stays healthy?

Answer:
    Congratulations on your successful transition to a totally plant-based diet! You're right -- a well planned vegan diet should provide us with all the nourishment our bodies need. However, sometimes our diets are not as varied or nutrient-rich as we might like to think they are. And, regardless of how good a diet is, there are times when our bodies simply do not absorb the nutrients from our food adequately due to lifestyle changes, age, illness, metabolic disorders, or general health problems.

Protein is important for the growth of strong hair and nails, among many other things. When people consume enough calories in their diet, protein deficiency is essentially nonexistent. Nearly all foods contain protein (except fats and alcohol) including grains, legumes (peas, beans and lentils), nuts, seeds, and vegetables. These are the staples of a vegan diet; hence, if you are eating sufficient quantities of these foods, protein should not be a concern. In cultures where protein deficiency exists, it is nearly always due to inadequate amounts of food (i.e. starvation) rather than inadequate protein intake.

As we age, protein may be used less efficiently. As a result, older vegans may need even more protein than when they were younger. It becomes even more important, therefore, to regularly consume high-quality, protein-dense foods (such as soy products and other legumes). Low calorie intake can minimize the amount of protein in the diet as well. So if you are not getting enough calories, your protein needs may be even higher.

Omega-3 fatty acids have been attributed with many amazing properties including improving the texture of hair. These essential fatty acids are lacking in most people's diets (omnivores as well as vegans and vegetarians). Food sources of omega-3 fatty acids include tofu, canola oil, and walnuts, among others. The richest vegan source of omega-3 fatty acids can be found in flaxseed oil which is available in the refrigerated section of natural food stores. Flax oil is a pure vegetable fat and, like all fats, should be used in moderation (about 1 tablespoon per day). Flax oil should never be heated or used to cook with. It is best drizzled over foods (such as salads, vegetables, or baked potatoes) or used in salad dressing. Flax oil must be stored in the refrigerator (or freezer, to extend its life) and should be used up by the expiration date on the bottle.

Many factors can contribute to hair problems, and diet may not necessarily be the issue. Most people's hair changes as they age. Gray hair tends to be thinner and more brittle (even if it's gray hair that has been colored). Inadequate sleep, fresh air or exercise can also affect the vitality of hair. Stress takes a major toll on our bodies, most notably affecting our gastrointestinal system, skin, and hair. The consequences of intensive stress may not even be apparent for a year or more after a crisis has passed. So, even though things may seem calm at the time hair problems occur, it's valuable to take into consideration past events.

Hormonal imbalances and natural life cycles (such as menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause) can affect the quality of hair. Even shampoos, conditioners, and colorants can change our hair's characteristics. Certain detergents used in commercial hair care products (yes, even those labeled as "natural") can damage the follicle of hair and cause it to fall out.

Hair loss can be a complicated matter to sort out. Before tackling the problem on your own, get a complete physical examination to rule out any specific organic causes for the change. Then, if all is well, you may want to consult a registered dietician familiar with vegan diets to evaluate your current eating plan. Supplements may be advised in certain circumstances. This doesn't mean that a vegan diet is inadequate. However, your age, lifestyle, health, or a combination of factors may necessitate special attention to particular nutrients.

Seaside

Hi bocabocaboca!
    Silicon is a very important and quite overlooked skin, hair, and nail nutrient. You can get it from horsetail (a bog plant), or you can try a skin, hair, and nail supplement.

Pilaf

Hmmmm... omega fatty acids. I wish I could get ahold of some of those, too, but there's no health food stores in my area. My skin and hair are looking horrendous these days.

fattyacids huh.... hm

its getting pretty bad i can pull out my hair with relative ease from any area on my head =(

Oh dear hair can fall out with stress as well sometimes?
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Pilaf

I'm also not getting as much fresh air and exercise as I used to... become too sedentary lately. I guess I need to supplement, too..I can order a nice vegan supplement online. I just wish there were more places around my home town to buy Tofu and flax seed oil. I have to go pretty much to Nashville to get anything good. I can get Tofu in other places, namely Wal Mart super stores, but the nearest one is 30 miles from here.

tofu is pretty easy to get round here for a change as everything else isn't.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default My Hair is Starting to Fall Out

At first I thought that there was so much hair in my brush recently because my hair is more tangly, but it isn't really... I'm only seventeen, and I'm not anorexic, so I figure it must my diet. What do I need to eat, what vitamins do I need to take (I already take a multivitamin)? I'm a bit worried... I'm not losing rediculous amounts of hair, but certainly more than I ever have...

Default Re: My Hair is Starting to Fall Out

Why is it automatically your diet?

Go see your doctor and get it checked out.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Stress can make your hair fall out??
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

as can dying your hair, or blowdrying, or overwashing, or chemicals like chlorine.

there are many reasons why this could be happening.

could be diet... make sure youre getting proper amino acids & protiens.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Seaside

Examine several hairs each day Peaches. Are they breaking, or do they have root bulbs at one end? If there is no root bulb at one end, your hair is weak, and you should increase protein and silica in your diet. If there are root bulbs, your hair is falling out, which may mean you need more flax oil in your diet. If these simple additions to your diet don't help, you probably should see a doctor, especially if your hair is actually falling out, rather than breaking.

I had that around the same age funnily enough. I don't know if the whites of your eyes have gone yellowish? If they have your doctor may recommend you taking irom tablets and try to relax more as it's most likely to be caused by stress as maya suggested.

Default Re: The hair thread

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

sugarmouse

Default Re: The hair thread

I have heard on quite a few occasions that stress causes hair loss, and hair thinning, as can hormonal imbalances or changes, and ringworm sometimes.

Default Hair loss advice

hiya guys!
    I've only recently turned vegan(5 months ago) and was feeling very happy and healthy about it until the last month, when my hair started to fall out! and I'm only 18!,It seems to be getting worse(I'm talking big clumps of hair!), i reckon it's something to do with my diet lacking something...anyone got any advice?
    thanxs
    Last edited by flutterby; Sep 3rd, 2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: The posts above this one were split from the 'The hair thread'.

Pantha

Quote maya View Post
    Stress can make your hair fall out??
    Yeah, I had that a few years ago. Very distressing. Im having quite a traumatic time at the moment, so Im hoping it doesnt happen again

galamatos

Default Re: Hair loss advice

Hi!

If you want to try a product, that reduce de problem of loosing hair try this product.

http://www.madeindominicana.com/inde...roducts_id=231

I have a thyroid and iodine issue and it caused my hair to fall out along the part. Make sure you have enough iodine in your diet. Perhaps also a mineral supplement. My hair is growing back now (I take a digcam photo every month and it is getting there though the regrowth is quite a bit darker than the rest of my blonde locks).

I don't know whether it's due to iodine, my improving heath or the nettle tea bags I plonk on my scalp after drinking. I've heard nettle tea applied to the scalp can really help.

Hi Caitlin. Hair loss can also be related to not getting enough iron, which is often a problem for women, not just vegan ones.

You might want to check to ensure you're including enough iron sources in your new diet. Some are listed here: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ition/iron.php

Edited to add that if it's really falling out in clumps you should probably check with a doc, but don't let them tell you it's because you're vegan Plenty of hairy vegans around.

Default Losing hair?

My mom says that being a vegan will make my hair fall out

She says that this is the reason my aunt gave up being a vegetarian. I know that happens when you don't eat enough or don't get enough protein but with a well rounded diet and making sure i get in some tofu every now and then I should be fine...right?
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 28th, 2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Seaside

Default Re: Losing hair?

Yes. Its probably coincidence that your aunt lost her hair while she was veggie. Stress is the greatest culprit in hair loss.
    I've been vegan for over 20 years, and still get told by hairdressers that I have enough hair on my head for two or three people.

If you are worried, increase your intake of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are said to prolong the lives of your roots, and take silica, which is a very underrated mineral essential for the health and beauty of skin, hair, and nails. It is also extremely important to bone health, but it gets no press from the dairy industry because cow milk isn't a good source of it.

silica? Where can I get that from?

Seaside

Do you have a Whole Foods Market near you? If you don't, any health food store should sell it. It is most commonly derived from Horsetail, which is an aquatic plant. You can also include steel cut oats and strawberries in your diet, which are naturally high in this mineral.

Vegan Traveler

I started balding as a meat eater Bad genetics!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Default Possible Causes of Hair Loss

After reading a thread about hair loss, I've been wanting to ask about my hair, which I believe is falling out. I've been having many struggles in the past and present--I'm still living in a toxic domestic environment. I've had a history of anorexia, though like any eating disorder---there's always a piece of it that stays.

I take a (vegan) multi-vitamin everyday, plus I get my Omega-3s from flax seeds and hempseed oil daily--but after reading this thread, I may want to go from flax seeds to flax oil (I've had flax oil before and loved it). The possibility of it being stress that's causing it, would definitely be a possibility, considering the environment I'm in.

As well, I'm wondering if it could be the shampoo and conditioner I'm using. My lifestyle is vegan (obviously) and my diet is completely organic as well as wheat-free, gluten-free, caffeine-free, and contains no added sugar. I'm wheat-free/gluten-free because I've read a number of articles that it is harmful to my Asperger's Syndrome (as well as anything on the autistic spectrum). Would being affected from wheat/gluten products within hair/skin products apply too? That hadn't crossed my mind until I saw these "gluten-free shampoos" on the online shop, Vegan Essentials (www.veganessetials.com). Could I be allergic to an ingredient in my shampoos?

I'm wondering if I have a thyroid issue too--I've researched hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and the funny thing is that I have a few symptoms from both.

In this thread, I talk more about my past/current struggles, which may/may not have something to do with my hair loss. http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13099 . A couple of weeks ago, my mom tactlessly remarked about my "hair falling out", which I was hurt by (because of the aggressive and guilt-tripping tone and the tactlessness). I do get big clumps when I'm brushing it. And I do have less hair than I used to. Maybe is it not as bad as I think it could be?

Stress puts on age too.

If anyone could provide any help/advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!