Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hair loss advice

Default Re: Possible Causes of Hair Loss

No matter what I eat, I tend to lose a lot of hair. I have lost a lot more recently, because I have been trying to lose weight. A dietitian friend of mine remarked that I might be having a thyroid "issue," not because of my hair but because I was always cold. I started eating seaweed (for the iodine), and I am not having a problem with the cold anymore.

Thanks, hollybee. Yeah, being cold is one of the symptoms I have--my hands in particular. Were your hands cold as well? I LOVE organic seaweed! Thankfully, I know where I can get some organic seaweed.

Any other feedback/advice is welcome and encouraged.

I have always had very cold hands. When I worked in a nursing home years ago, the residents always complained when I had to touch them.
    I never thought I would enjoy seaweed quite as much as I do. Now I feel lost if I don't have a seaweed smoothie for breakfast. I slip it into my kids' french toast and pancakes, too.
    It took a few days for me to start feeling less cold-but it has really helped.

anorexia often causes hair loss, as well as cold hands and feet. have your periods stopped or become irregular? have you noticed any unusual hair growth on other parts of your body? Any muscle weakness or a nervous feeling in your heart?

irregardless of where you stand in your battle against anorexia, you should probably see a doctor to have blood tests run so s/he can check for any definiciencies or thyroid issues. good luck!! i hope they find you're perfectly normal

I just called and booked an appointment for Tuesday, February 20 with the (secondly referred from my holistic doctor) OBGYN. After talking with the secretaries, they both said that she would honour my wishes/principles and wouldn't want to risk anything or waste my time for that matter. Apparently this OBGYN is also a certified acupunturist.

I'm never afraid to voice my morals/ethics. I think I could also benefit from giving the OBGYN a list of things that I will and will not tolerate--including mentioning and defining my veganism--e.g. I won't tolerate being weighed, shots, vaccines, hormones, medication, or anything non-vegan. If she's as good as her secretaries say, this shouldn't be a problem.

The secretaries said she'll only be able to treat something(s) if they're gynocologically-related, otherwise refer me to an endocrinologist. Perhaps it may be an additional referral rather than otherwise. I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Pisces; Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: It contained irrelevant information

Benji

Unhappy hairloss

I have been vegan for about 7 months or so already. Now recently, i noted that i was starting to lose hair. Now, I am 16, so i do not think that this is well.... normal at my age.

I take a multivitamin daily (centrum). Centrum, because I took it before I was vegan, and it is a waste to stop takin it because no one else i ym family takes centrum.

I also drink a cup or two of soymill a day.

what could be the cause?

I am pretty sure it is not protein which I am lacking, because I make sure to eat enough protein.

I am thinking it could be calcium, but I do get servings of it on a daily basis.

I am pretty much clueless and could use some suggestionss/feedback.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: hairloss

Hello - anaemia can make your hair fall out I think but it isn't so common in men. Do you think you get plenty of iron in your diet?

I read that male hair loss can start any time after puberty so if it runs in your family it could just be that. Might be worth checking with the doc, though, if you're worried about it.

All the best -

Default Re: hairloss

Hair loss can also be stress related.

Vegan Traveler

Default Re: Hair loss advice

I started losing my hair around 17-18, and I went to school with some kids who lost theirs earlier.. Nothing related to vegan diets.. I didn't go vegetarian until AFTER my hair started falling out.. My recommendation... Shave it !
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Benji

I have been fortifying my diet with a variety of nutrients via mutlivtiamins, and an array of fruit smoothies, and my hair loss has not stopped. It does not appear as though the hair is weak, kinda like it tears. The hair comes out with the roots. I am even using a fortifying shampoo which supposedly strenghetns hair, but instead my hair ends up coming rough, and falling out.

It falls out when my hair is moved around, like when lathering up my hair with shampoo, or drying it with a towel. This is really starting to bug me!!!!!!!

What could I be lacking?

Also it is not genetics, because my dad still has hair and he is in his early 40's.

Suggestions?

Benji, is it possible that you're allergic to that shampoo? I would try using a different, milder shampoo...try one that's all botanical and has no chemicals, especially no sodium lauryl sulphate. I have had a similar thing happen to me because of a conditioner I was allergic to.

Also, try massaging your scalp gently either with your hands, or with a hairbrush in the mornings and evenings. When you brush your hair so that the brush goes all over the scalp, it stimulates hair growth. Make sure that you brush your hair when it is completely dry...when I brush my hair when it's wet, I notice that there are more hairs in my hairbrush.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Benji View Post
    I have been fortifying my diet with a variety of nutrients via mutlivtiamins, and an array of fruit smoothies, and my hair loss has not stopped. It does not appear as though the hair is weak, kinda like it tears. The hair comes out with the roots. I am even using a fortifying shampoo which supposedly strenghetns hair, but instead my hair ends up coming rough, and falling out.

It falls out when my hair is moved around, like when lathering up my hair with shampoo, or drying it with a towel. This is really starting to bug me!!!!!!!

What could I be lacking?

Also it is not genetics, because my dad still has hair and he is in his early 40's.

Suggestions?
    Male hair loss come from your mom's side of the family. Do your uncles and grandfather have their hair still?

Maybe you see your doctor?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I had my hair cut yesterday (at last) and the hairdresser was moaning about how thick it was. So after 14 or so years I reckon I'm conclusive proof that a vegan diet doesn't make your hair fall out - famous last words.

Mind you I have had phases when I thought it was falling out so it probably depends on a lot of things - general condition and what not.

You know, my hair doesn't seem to really shed during the warm weather. I've at least noticed that this year. I wonder if it can be seasonal for some people.

the average person loses about 100 strands of hair daily. I think that it is even more the longer your hair does and how you style it. Sometimes i feel like I am going bald!

Hmm. I wouldn't think that long haired people would shed more hairs than short haired people. Although of course it often seems that way when each strand of hair is about two feet long.

ya exactly, mine gets caught in doors, christmas wreaths and when its longer i touch it more so i pull more out!

Default Hair Loss :(

For about a month now (just hitting my 4th month being vegan) I have been having hair loss when I shampoo. It's usually about 10-20 strands a day, which isn't a lot, but it adds up! I can see my hair thinning and it worries me. I'm not a particularly vain person, but I would like to keep my hair past the age of 20!

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Anyone have experience with this? My thyroid levels are fine, my B vitamin levels are fine, could it be a different vitamin deficiency? Protein deficiency?

And help would be great.
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 26th, 2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Merged with existing thread

Default Re: Hair Loss :(

I lose loads of hair each day and it is really thin - mine is caused by an iron deficiency, I'm pretty badly anaemic - have you had your iron levels checked ??

ETA: I think that 10-20 strands a day shouldn't be a problem - mines around 200 a day !

Stress can be a cause - are you stressed?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I don't know about cause, but I've been told by a couple people that adding a little almond oil to your shampoo makes a big difference.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

I have been stressed, but I have been stressed for long before I was vegan (9 months or so now).

My iron is fine, thyroid is fine, B vits are fine.

My cholesterol is low, could that be it? I have been eating 2tbsp of flax seeds the past few weeks, but that hasn't helped my hair loss. Protein perhaps? I can never get the 'required' 100g a day, and I lift weights....

And thanks to Korn for moving my thread, I did a search but no other hair loss threads came up!

EDIT: I just noticed that my hair is coming out with the bulb at the end (I think). Does that mean I need more omega-3?

the average person loses around 100 strands a day, or so i have been told.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Vegan Traveler

I lost most of my hair when I was around 18 or so. I didn't realize it until I was 22ish, and by then everyone else knew .. I just shaved it all off, and have done that ever since. I have heard that exfoliating is good for hair loss, and while I don't know if it's true or not, my some people have said that they feel that using my soap on their scalp has helped them to slow thinning... I don't promote it in this way, but you can find it at http://www.howardsvegansoap.com

Sorry I couldn't help more, and excuse the shameless plug
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Quote howdawg View Post
    I have heard that exfoliating is good for hair loss
    I've heard massage is good, increasing blood flow (the theory being that hair loss is at the top of the head - the side hair normally stays and this is massaged by the pillow when you move around in your sleep). Exfoliation is a type of massage I suppose.

ETA I usually wash my hair every other day. If I leave it an extra day or so it seems like I'm losing tons of hair - I presume it is normal hair loss over several days, but normally I wouldn't normally notice it too much as I'd wash it away more frequently and in smaller quantities.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i lose all my hair about twice a week

I dont get crunchy people?

I just wanted to post some interesting links I found. What do you guys think about these theories?

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/harris_hair_loss.htm

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/hairloss

Default Is adding salmon to diet only way to stop hair loss and brittle nails?

I have a friend that was completely vegan but who had problems with hair loss and brittle nails. After adding salmon into her diet, she didn’t have a problem. She would prefer to be completely vegan and was wondering if anyone has found non-animal solutions to this problem?
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 15th, 2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Is adding salmon to diet only way to stop hair loss and brittle nails?

Quote Rose Braverman View Post
    I have a friend that was completely vegan but who had problems with hair loss and brittle nails. After adding salmon into her diet, she didn’t have a problem. She would prefer to be completely vegan and was wondering if anyone has found non-animal solutions to this problem?
    There's nothing in salmon that you need which isn't available through a plant based diet. The only conveivable connection I can see is a lack of EFAs in your friend's diet as it's fairly abundant in fish (especially DHA, EPA), is she on a very low fat diet?

How rapid was this 'fix' and what made her choose salmon of all things? It sounds like it may be a placebo effect combating stress induced hair loss if she's getting plenty of EFAs from other sources.

If she thinks the issue is Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) you can get those from flax seeds/oil and other vegetable sources. There are also vegan supplements made from algae which are supposed to have a balance of EFAs that's closer to that of oily fish.

Another nutrient that may affect hair and nails is calcium, which is also available in a vegan diet - from dark green leafy vegetables for example.

This page has information on both EFAs and calcium and there are other threads about both on the forum if you search http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/

Thanks very much to Maitre and Harpy for your reponses, they were both helpful. I checked with my friend and she was taking fish oil supplements before she started including salmon to solve the hair loss and brittle nails. She was on a low fat diet, though. It took about 2 months of eating salmon before she began noticing a reduction in the hair loss and her nails getting harder. A nutritionist advised her that EFA in flax seeds doesn't convert efficiently in your body as you get older and recommended salmon. I passed on your suggestion about algae supplements. Any recommendations on brands?

There is one called Water4life, and also this http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/DHA.aspx There may be others too. I'm afraid I don't know what the pros and cons of the various brands are. There may be some threads about it on the forum if you search on "EFAs", but probably nothing very recent.

I have a friend who takes them so I'll ask which one he uses, as he may have researched it a bit.

ETA my friend takes this one http://www.opti3omega.com/ Haven't had a chance to discuss why.
    Last edited by harpy; Dec 29th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

It took about 2 months of eating salmon before she began noticing a reduction in the hair loss and her nails getting harder. A nutritionist advised her that EFA in flax seeds doesn't convert efficiently in your body as you get older and recommended salmon.
    Hi,
    based on questions I've come across - about why all those Indian gurus (promoting a life without eating fish or meat) have such massive amounts of hair, it's interesting that someone may think that there's a link between not eating fish and losing hair. Or rather: it's interesting that the main thing they point out is that if a person doesn't eat fish (products), he is losing hair due to the lack of fish consumption. Even if eating fish will/would help against hair loss, that doesn't mean that it's the EFAs that are helping. Non-vegans have a tendency to think - if they come across a vegan with some sort of health problem (even if it's just a plain, old cold) - that it must be because he is a vegan.

Hair loss may have many different reasons, and maybe there's a link between how essential fatty acids in flax seeds convert and hair loss. But if it's correct that almost every human on the planet have a too low intake of Omega-3 (I've read a claim that 95% of all humans have too low Omega-3 levels), and if it's true that lack of Omega-3 is the main (or only) reason for hair loss, there wouldn't be much people around with hair...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

True - however, I think I've read some people are better at making the necessary conversions of EFAs than others. Like most of these things it may be partly a question of genetics.

I don't seem to have a problem with hair and nails despite being a bit long in the tooth as it were. I do include rapeseed (Canola) and hemp oil and stuff like that in my diet, and flax seeds sometimes.

To be honest I feel if we are going to get various 'complaints' then it's more to do with our own genetics than a particular diet. The vegan diet is the healthiest diet so I would rather be on that diet and take my chances with genetics than be on a non vegan diet.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Did anyone see the episode of The Food Doctor where someone had a problem with hair loss? It was very interesting. It was resolved in the end when they worked out the woman had irritable bowel syndrome, they solved that problem and her hair grew back. She didn't even realise she had a problem until they started asking her questions, she was just concerned about the hair loss.

I did have a friend who had a problem with hair loss but she said as soon as she stopped clubbing every night and started living a more relaxed life her hair was fine. (she wasn't a vegan)

Default Re: My Hair is Starting to Fall Out

Thanks for all the good recommendations I am passing them on. I also checked Dr. Andrew Weil's website (and though not vegan, he promotes healthy eating) and thought I would include in case it helps anyone..."The substance that best promotes healthy growth of skin, hair and nails is GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), which is very hard to come by in the diet. The best sources are evening primrose oil, black currant oil and borage oil, taken in capsules as dietary supplements. Products differ in the amount of GLA they supply and in cost. I usually recommend taking 500 milligrams of black currant oil twice a day, as it's the most economical form. Don't expect overnight results. Maximum improvement occurs after six to eight weeks of use. You may also find that increasing your intake of omega-3 fatty acids by eating more salmon, mackerel, sardines or walnuts or taking fish-oil capsules can help." To keep it vegan upping walnut consumption seems good. Thanks to Harpy for the algae brand, I will look into that too. Has anyone seen any results with primrose, borage or black currant oil?

^ The guy doesn't sound like the sort of person anyone should rely on for medical advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Weil
    http://www.quackwatch.com/search/web...D=1&query=weil

Sounds like nonsense to me. Have you noticed by the way that there's a picture of him on the website and he's bald?
    Last edited by Risker; Dec 31st, 2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added quackwatch link
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Rose Braverman View Post
    Has anyone seen any results with primrose, borage or black currant oil?
    Don't be too optimistic about getting answers... Although we have many of members - before your posted about hair loss, nobody had posted about hair loss since 2007; it doesn't at all seem to be more common among vegans than non-vegans. And - as many have suggested, hair loss may have many different reasons.

In general, I think it's a lot more important to figure out if your friend is missing out on some nutrients - and change her diet than keep missing out on these nutrients and take any special remedies for hair loss, because if she is missing out on nutrients, this may cause other and more important problems than hair loss. But of course - one way to deal with this doesn't exclude another one, and of course you may also get answers which your friend can use.

Have you read this article yet:

Can a Vegan Diet Damage Your Hair? Jo Stepaniak always writes stuff which makes sense, so its worth taking a look at what she has found out.

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ The guy doesn't sound like the sort of person anyone should rely on for medical advice.
    In spite of his very special background, and of course in spite of his non-veganness, I've seen him occasionally post stuff which makes more sense than what many other non-vegan doctors come up with. I haven't read what he writes about hair though, but it could be worth taking a look.

^ He recommends foods for hair loss that he 'conveniently' also sells.

Hair and skin article
    Products for sale

Conflict of interest much?

Thanks for the tip. When I hit your link it took me to Veg Source but unfortunately Veg Source couldn't find the file. I will try again later. Veg Source seems like an interesting site. There was a video clip called "Processed People." I am thinking of purchasing, has anyone seen it, is it worth viewing?

^ I didn't post a link to veg source.
    Last edited by Risker; Jan 1st, 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ I didn't post a link to veg source.
    I did. But I don't know anything about the video you mentioned, Rose...

Quote Korn View Post
    I did. But I don't know anything about the video you mentioned, Rose...
    I know, I was being deliberately obtuse since my comments were ignored.

the Matthew Gardson method and cayenne pepper has helped my hair loss ..it took me 2 weeks to stop shedding, but hair growth cycles are individual to some degree

Thanks for your reply Risker. I know what you mean about Weil. I get stuff from him all the time trying to sell product and it does make you skeptical about his advice.

Thanks for your reply dannio, I will pass on your advice. Do you have any recommended quatity on the cayenne?