Thread: A Vegan Taste of Mexico

Default Re: Vegan Cookbooks

I just bought a vegan mexican cookbook called "A Vegan Taste of Mexico" Im in love with it... I love mexican food and this is perfect.

here is the amazon link for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...books&v=glance

Default Re: A Vegan Taste of Mexico

Hey Tangerine.

Can't say Iv tryed the Mexico version of this series, but I have "A Vegan Taste of East-Africa", which is also excellent. I've also heard the "of the Carrabian" is good too. Maybe I should go for the whole series?

WolfRain

The one review of this book on Amazon made it sound unappealing. As a Yankee, I don't know that I would be able to convert from metric easily--and what the heck is a dessert spoon, anyway? It's a shame, because I love Mexican food and I've been missing it. I don't trust Mexican resturants not to use lard in the tortillas.

Have any other Americans used this cookbook? I'd like to hear from you so I can decide to buy this or not.

Cheers,
    rant

ps--Of course, if my stupid country just used the metric system like everyone else, the problem would be solved.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

pavotrouge

Quote rantipole View Post
    As a Yankee, I don't know that I would be able to convert from metric easily--and what the heck is a dessert spoon, anyway?
    C'mon, that shouldn't be a reason to hold back from buying a great cookbook- you can find programmes on the internet that convert measurements, and you probably will only have to do it the first time you use a recipe and write "your" numbers next to the ones in the book.

I also own and cook from a lot of American cookbooks- though I don't convert, but just estimate as I do with most recipes

Quote rantipole View Post
    what the heck is a dessert spoon, anyway?
    In the UK we have teaspoons, dessert spoons and tablespoons - 5ml, 10ml and 15ml respectively A dessert spoon is what you'd eat your pudding with, probably, hence the name...

I've just had a look in my copy, the measurements are listed in both imperial and metric.

Also, I can't agree with the comments about nuts in the amazon review. I've just had a quick glance through some recipes and of the 20 or so I looked at none contained any nuts with only 1 containing seeds.

There are plenty of recipes, over 100 pages, many of which have more than 1 recipe on them.

I've actually planned on cooking mexican tomorrow night, and I'll be making good use of this book.

Can one of the people who has this book tell me if there are a lot of soya products like soy cheese etc in the recipes, or other things like seitan/tempeh? I have the "Vegan Taste of North Africa" and I really like it because a lot of the recipes just rely on vegetables and pulses. Apparently though, some of these books use a lot of substitute ingredients which I can't always get.

i've just ordered this book along with A Vegan Taste of Thailand. i'm looking forward to trying them out, i love Mexican and Asian food.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'