Thread: Vegan Cooking For One

Default Re: Vegan Cookbooks

and i also have "vegan cooking for one" but some of the recipes i've tried haven't been that tasty....
    All the recipes seem to be very basic and with the emphasis being on health and natural ingredients etc, so they're all low salt and sugar etc. If you treat the recipes like a base idea though, then you can make them really tasty by altering them a bit and adding your own spices or whatever to them. I suppose it depends if you like experimenting or not!

Default Re: Vegan Cooking For One

I usually add stuff to the recipes in that book to, as I like a little bit of taste at least, but a lot are quite tasty on their own really I thought.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I am a new vegan and just bought 'Vegan Cooking for One' on the internet last week. I was pretty disappointed with it. The recipes are uninspirational, they aren't the sort of recipes where you think 'Oh I must make that!'. I made one recipe and it was pretty bland, there aren't many recipes that appeal to me otherwise. If there were some photos of some of the dishes it might make the book more exciting.
    Many a broken heart is hidden behind a smiling face.

I agree, I was looking through my copy today and half the recipes don't sound nice to me. My mum has found only one out of about twenty recipes out of there that she liked.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Russ

It isn't great. A lot of the recipes are pretty bland. It seems they're missing something. I agree that maybe they should be used as a starting point and then you can experiment..

I haven't even tried anything yet... it seemed kinda uninspiring.
    It's good to read proper opinions on here about it - I think often on amazon they delete any real bad reviews to up the overall rating... which is so annoyingly misleading.

^ I agree - I wrote a bad review for a book and they never published it, so annoying.

I made the Indonesian Style Green Curry and my non-vegan boyfriend loved it. I didn't follow the recipe exactly because we needed a blender and we didn't have one, I also added extra spices and vegetables. I thought it was good but he went on and on about it, I don't think he'll ever change but at least he enjoys my cooking and excepts it.
    ▼Laurin▼

I use this cookbook for most of my own cooked stuff, I think I've only followed the recipe to the letter once!

I'm not the best vegan cook...as I've never took classes or anything, but I'm slowly learning, and this book is a good starting point I think.

Shame I'm too lazy to cook! lol