Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tesco jam doughnuts - vegan?

Default tesco jam doughnuts - vegan?

can anyone clear this up for me? I've heard contradictory claims and i'd love if they were cause coffee and doughnuts is a bit of a tradition in our house that till now i've had to skip.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Default Re: tesco jam doughnuts - vegan?

Gosh, I remember the Tesco's doughnuts controversy waaaaay back - amazing how rumours persist - I blame undated webpages

Best way to find out is to ask Tesco themselves, in fact, that's always the best way if things aren't labelled because then they might start realising there's a demand from people to know what's in their food.

As far as I am aware they are not vegan. I think there's a thread about doughnuts somewhere on here so you could do a search, or this query will probably be merged with it later on anyway...

As to the tradition, maybe you could make a new one - there are lots of vegan cookie and other sweet snacks around these days - I favour Doves Farm tasty bars - they're like gooey rice crispy treats in bar form, and they do a diet version that's alright too.

Or you could try making your own doughnuts? If you have a deep-fat fryer I suspect it would be pretty easy.

i searched the site all right but i only found two references to the doughnuts which weren't very helpful! making doughnuts sounds good although i do live in a shoebox with a kitchen the size my of my arm, and i don't own a deep fat fryer - thank god, i'd be fat as a fool.

Quote Barry O Connor View Post
    ...i don't own a deep fat fryer - thank god, i'd be fat as a fool.
    Hee, me too

Sorry you couldn't find anything useful - maybe the thread I'm thinking of got culled

I'm sure I asked to look in the ingredients book at a Tesco's bakery and they weren't vegan, or at least had a suspect ingredient as I didn't buy any! But I could have my supermarkets muddled up!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Perhaps you were looking for this thread?

Quote Gorilla
    also i heard that Tesco's jam doughnuts were listed as vegan in the Animal Free Shopper, but they'd started using eggs in the recipe before the entry could be removed from the book, and apparently many people were eating them without realising.
    Korn seems to have removed some of the advanced search options which doesn't make it very useful
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

PygmyGoat

I had one of the Tesco vegan-friendly product list that they send out (if you ask them to) and the jam doughnuts were on it, yet they have been removed from the latest Animal Free Shopper, haven't they (the UK Vegan Society book).
    V. confusing .
    Still, shouldn't be eating doughnuts anyway I s'pose! .

...........on second thoughts, though, maybe I'll e-mail them and find out !!

i don't trust supermarket bakery products that don't list the ingredients on the packaging, so i just avoid them regardless. the supermarket can change suppliers frequently so that one batch may be vegan and yet another may not. i think this is why it's so confusing.

i buy the carob coated doughnuts from Veganstore - ok they're not the same (and a lot more expensive) but at least they're definitely vegan!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cheers for the info everyone, think i'll be giving them a miss. they sound dodgy...

I think I'll write to Tesco and just confirm whether their doughnuts are vegan or not. I wrote to them about 2 months ago regarding ingredients in something else and am still waiting a reply, so I WON'T hold my breath!

jesus, that's customer service for you......

Yes, I get the feeling they don't want me to know what's in some of their products! I think I'll ring them tomorrow and see if I get on any better!

The bakery department say that they dont contain milk - but...... they contain milk powder - so they are a No - but at least one baker has learnt what a vegan is, he said they dont contain any meat so yeah they are, he was then told what a vegan is

Its probably just as well, Im trying to lose weight as it is

mmm donuts. yes...just as well. i am trying to control my weight also.

i think if i knew any supermarket donuts were vegan, i'd be off buying them all the time..and getting fat hehe.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Korn seems to have removed some of the advanced search options which doesn't make it very useful
    I haven't removed any search options.... please send me a PM about this! Thanks...

I used to work in the bakery in Tesco, and I remember they were vegan

I'll have to pop into the bakery tomorrow and check if they are still Vegan

Damn I want a doughnut now

Quote Melanie View Post
    Damn I want a doughnut now
    Which one though Mel, so many to choose from. yummmm. The good thing is they are low in fat, if you eat them quickly.

I have checked the ingridients and according to it, yes, they are vegan.

Quote boomshanka View Post
    Which one though Mel, so many to choose from. yummmm. The good thing is they are low in fat, if you eat them quickly.
    -Grins- I shall eat them really quickly then And the yummiest one

Quote catala View Post
    Like really? Really really really vegan? You sure? -Bounces-

Quote catala View Post
    Hi Catala,

Firstly, can you post the list of ingredients? and secondly do all tesco stores use the same recipe/ingredients or are they pre-made and they just 'finish them' in store?

Thanks

Veryblue2

Veryblue, tesco jam doughnuts are premade and they just "finish them".
    If you ask one of the assistants in the bakery (The ones who display the bread) they SHOULD provide you with the list of ingridients.
    Note that tesco launched iced ring doughnuts in a box of 6 a few months ago. I wanted to know if they were vegan but they didn't have the list of ingridients, which makes me assume now that the one I read was an old one.
    I will jot down the list of ingridients and post it shortly.

We went to Tescos last night. Our jaws dropped when we pinned our eyes on two last doughnuts. I spoke to one of the bakers there who was very helpful. He said that there is no milk or eggs in the doughnuts and he was pretty sure about it as they were made in-store. There are also no artificial colourings/ingredients. Hence I could confirm its vegan, as declared by Tesco.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Kiran View Post
    We went to Tescos last night. Our jaws dropped when we pinned our eyes on two last doughnuts. I spoke to one of the bakers there who was very helpful. He said that there is no milk or eggs in the doughnuts and he was pretty sure about it as they were made in-store. There are also no artificial colourings/ingredients. Hence I could confirm its vegan, as declared by Tesco.
    Might I also add, they were very deliciously yummy! The first time I've tasted jammy doughnuts in 4 years, mmmm Absolutely divine...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Sorry to be the possible bringer of bad news but I just looked at the 'is it vegan' site and according to them Tesco doughnuts are not vegan.
    http://realfood.redblackandgreen.net...d=Item&asc=asc

That doesn't list individual Tesco doughnuts, however personally I would not trust the word of an instore employee since it's all too easy to tell a customer what they want to hear and save any hassle.

Also, I'm very sceptical that the doughnuts were made in-store, cooked yes, but made... I doubt it.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I just phoned Tesco on their customer service number. A woman read out the ingredients and all of their doughnuts contain egg and dairy.

I was all excited when I thought I could eat the Tesco jam doughnuts but I have just rang that number too and a very helpful woman rang my nearest store to ask for me. She came back and said that they contain eggs, so that's very disappointing.
    The trouble is with these stores that one person tells you one thing and someone else tells you another, it would put your head away!

Sandra, we ate some of those doughnuts last night so I just did the same thing - I called that number and spoke to a lady who also confirmed that all Tesco's doughnuts contain egg powder. Needless to say, I am not happy

I told her I would like to make a complaint against the store, as not only has it upset me on a principles basis but what could have happened to me had I actually had an egg allergy?! This is very irresponsible on the part of the bakery staff, who should be well aware of what goes into their products! Anyway, not much we can do about having eaten them now

The nice lady on the phone took my details and apparently we'll be getting an apology letter from the store manager and a compensation voucher or something At least she took took me seriously, I was impressed with her attitude towards the matter - shame that the instore staff can't be as helpful...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

I know how you feel RachelJune! I've even written to companies in the past and been told something was vegan and then found out later it wasn't. Even in Lush a few months ago I was told a product was vegan and when I read the ingredients there was 'honey' in it!
    It's literally a mine field out there, isn't it?
    We can only do our best and not beat ourselves up when things like this happen. I think it comes with having to live in a non-vegan world.
    Anyway, hope you are feeling ok now.

how annoying! at least the helpline were understanding i guess but i don't take the word of anyone working in a supermarket, generally they're ignorant or don't care (i once worked in a supermarket so i should know!). a colleague of mine told me he once asked in Sainsburys which of their biscuits were vegan, and the assistant said "they're all vegan"
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote sandra View Post
    I was all excited when I thought I could eat the Tesco jam doughnuts but I have just rang that number too and a very helpful woman rang my nearest store to ask for me. She came back and said that they contain eggs, so that's very disappointing.
    Thats me screwed then! I feel bloody sick! Why could not the baker just say he did not have the info?? The guy told us it is safe for vegans!!! Disgusting!!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I know Kiran, it's enough to make you paranoid! I was all set to go to Tesco and buy some until I rang that number.
    You would think that you could trust the person who actually 'baked' them to tell you the truth, wouldn't you?

Damn, no doughnuts for me then :/

Mahk

I'm really sorry your local supermarket behaved so badly.
    * [giving big supportive vegan hug to all of you] * These sorts of things happen over here in the states all the time also. But I do offer one little trick I can recommend: In the future, don't ask, "are they vegan?" As pointed out earlier, if they are lazy or ignorant they may just respond with a quick "Yes" to get rid of you. Instead ask, "Do you use real whole eggs or just egg whites powder?"
    That way if they (ashamedly) respond with "er, well, no, we actually don't use any eggs, just hydrogenated vegetable oil" you'll know you got a real answer and not just the one they thought you'd want to hear.

Similarly, I once asked a store clerk, "Are these gloves made of genuine leather?" She sheepishly responded, "Well, I'm afraid no, they're actually fake leather." Imagine her surprise when I immediately bought two pair!

SANDRA
    Even in Lush a few months ago I was told a product was vegan and when I read the ingredients there was 'honey' in it!
    hahhhahaaa that Flying Fox !!!

I happened to go to M&S in Birmingham city centre to see if they had those famous "vegan" doughnuts I've so much heard about... They have improved the recipe!! yeeeaaahhh!! by adding eggs... I'm so angry...

Quote Mahk View Post
    Similarly, I once asked a store clerk, "Are these gloves made of genuine leather?" She sheepishly responded, "Well, I'm afraid no, they're actually fake leather." Imagine her surprise when I immediately bought two pair!
    I did that once too with a pair of boots! "Are these leather?" and the shop assitant replied "Oh no - they are synthetic" and showed me how to read the picture coded tag on the bottom of their boots and shoes. Haha - I think she got a suprise when I replied "Good then - I'll buy them!"

Kiran and RachelJune, I'm really sorry this happened to you guys I hope the bakery guy is repremanded buy his store manager for providing such dishonest service. If he didn't know then he just should've said so, rather than lying about it.

I once made some doughnuts. I didn't even bother using a proper recipe, I just used a 100% standard bread recipe off the side of some strong flour. Cooked them in oil, and either iced with water icing or shook in sugar and cinnamon. The result wasn't quite the same as what I remember store bought doughnuts to be like, but there were good enough for me.

The main thing to watch for is not to over-cook them. Or they go chewy.

Right! Today Ive sneaked into the bakery in Tesco in Edgabaston, Birmingham and I jotted the ingredients down: November 2006

The dough: Wheatflour, water, rasberry jam 17%,vegetable oil,sugar, yeast, salt, emulsifiers (Mono and di-glycerines), sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, mono & di-glicerides of fatty acids,soya flour, raising agent (disodium diphosphate, sodium bicarbonate), stabiliser (hydroxy propyl cellulose), flour treatment agent (acorbic acid).

Rasberry jam: Sugar syrup, glucose syrup, concentrated rasberry purree, acidity regulator (citric acid, sodium cirate), gelling agent (pectin), natural flavouring, elderberry extract, colour (antho cyanins).

I do apologise for the spelling mistakes I may have made.

Are they vegan?

Certainly looks it.

I don't know if different Tesco's use different recipes but when I rang the Tesco helpline they said my nearest store used eggs in the recipe. It's all very confusing!

Quote catala View Post
    Right! Today Ive sneaked into the bakery in Tesco in Edgabaston, Birmingham and I jotted the ingredients down
    Are they vegan?
    They could be but the emulsifiers (including mono-diglycerides of fatty acids) and the sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate could both be a non-vegan source.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Mahk

Quote catala View Post
    Right! Today Ive sneaked into the bakery in Tesco in Edgabaston, Birmingham and I jotted the ingredients down: November 2006

The dough: Wheatflour, water, rasberry jam 17%,vegetable oil,sugar, yeast, salt, emulsifiers (Mono and di-glycerines), sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, mono & di-glicerides of fatty acids,soya flour, raising agent (disodium diphosphate, sodium bicarbonate), stabiliser (hydroxy propyl cellulose), flour treatment agent (acorbic acid).

Rasberry jam: Sugar syrup, glucose syrup, concentrated rasberry purree, acidity regulator (citric acid, sodium cirate), gelling agent (pectin), natural flavouring, elderberry extract, colour (antho cyanins).

I do apologise for the spelling mistakes I may have made.

Are they vegan?
    Catala, good reconnaissance work! Are they vegan? Definitely maybe! But certainly no eggs or egg powder, which I believe was the fear. Very odd.

Here would be my breakdown on the "iffy" ingredients (I'm not being judgmental here, just pointing out what some, not all, vegans might be concerned with):

sugar- possibly filtered through dead cow "bone char". 25% chance in US sugar, 0% in Australia, sorry I don't know about your country. Any way, it doesn't contain cow but might have been processed with it. We have a long sugar thread here.

Mono and di-glycerines- I think you (or the label writer) mean "glycerides" which can be vegetable or animal or synthetic.

sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate- made from "stearic acid" (which also can be animal or vegetable derived).

natural flavouring- technically could be MSG, fish, pig, cow, anything "natural" really, but I think we can safely assume it is "raspberry flavor" [not bacon flavor!] from some berry, I suppose.

Thanks for posting this ingredients list! I've wondered for some time now whether all these chemical things were only found in US foods, I see you have them in the UK too. Anyway I say go for it!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Gorilla sad she had a list set from tesco saying what products are vegan and i thought that was a great idea so i rang tesco to see if they can do the same and they said they don't do it anymore

did i say that? i don't remember. it's a shame they won't do it any more, but i'm not all that surprised as it does seem most supermarkets are actually becoming less vegan-friendly recently for some reason.

The last one they did was Feb '06, expiring Jan '07. Still got a copy here, not sure how much use it is now though.

Tesco also seem to have abandoned their Vegan labelling. I spotted products in late summer last year, but nothing at the moment. I wonder if it was a trial?

We need to nag them then, like we did Sainsburys. Supermarkets are a pain in the a*se!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

nervine

omfg i want a doughnut so fucking badly right now!