Thread: Mac Danzig

Default Mac Danzig

Are you guys aware of the MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter Mac Danzig? He is the current Lightweight Division Champion of the King Of The Cage tournament. For those that don't know, this is full contact martial arts where the fight can take place "stand up" but can also go to the ground. Fists, elbows, knees and kicks are all permitted as are leg, arm and choke locks.

Mac Danzig, as already mentioned is champion in his division, and is vegan.

I know fighting sports aren't everyones cup-of-tea, but surely this is one in the eye for those that choose to paint vegans and pastey wimps who don't get enough protein and B12 to be fit and strong!

More details on Mac can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Danzig

And a more indepth profile with photos on the pro-fighter site Sherdog here:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterID=3396

The above link may also be useful for sending to anti-vegans who are being argumentitive. I suggest offering the protagonist to "take it up with him!"

Default Re: Mac Danzig

what's next- vegan snipers? I can see it now "this here rifle strap is manufactured entirely from man made fibres, sonofabitch- there goes a terrorist! git some! blam! blam! blam! "

he actually sounds like quite a nice guy though: http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o-macdanzig.asp

Most MMA fighters are nice guys.

I think any public profile vegan is a good thing, one who comlpetely shatters the vegan stereotype is even better.

Quote Pagan Vegan View Post
    I think any public profile vegan is a good thing, one who comlpetely shatters the vegan stereotype is even better.
    Absolutely! Thumbs up!

GoatBoy

good stuff, i'm also interested in UFC. I used to do Vale Tudo many years ago.

its good to shift this soft stigma about vegans, it's not necessary to be a hippie if you are vegan. and i'm glad its being shown that you can be a vegan and need hardly change your lifestyle at all.

there is a champion marathon runner too that is vegan. and that is great it completely abolishes the accusation.

"I bet you don't even have the energy to do anything"

quite the opposite, I know many omnis that can hardly run for a bus.

I too am a fan of the UFC. The skill and fitness levels of the athletes are incredible. It is not the mindless violence that some people assume it is.

It's people like this that will bring veganism to a much wider audience.

GoatBoy

not only that I think UF is the most gentlemanly sport of them all. I've seen fighters against each other agree to self appoint a break in the fight so they can both get their breath back, and then get back to fighting when they have made sure that the other one is ready.

I think that when ever some "bloke" says that meat is a mans food, and likes to growl the word "meat" like a neandethal they should then be thrown in the cage with mac danzig and then see what diet is considered more manly.

A new interview with Mac Danzig where he talks about his transition to veganism and his training for UFC etc

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/288?page=1&gid=12385
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

seitan

i was also told that jake shields was a vegan mma, but can only now find that hes vegetarian, tho, im sure in the past i did find something saying he is vegan.

heat13

Here is another really good article about Vegan athletes from ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=mlb

Mac is a monster, I remember watching him on TUF, and then when I became vegan, he was an inspiration...if he can look, live and eat the way he does, then I should have no problem...