Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan with a Vengeance

Default Re: Vegan with a Vengence

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I love this little confused hello kitty!

pavotrouge

Default Re: Vegan with a Vengeance

it's from a nice smiley site I found some days ago http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php?wahl=0&ziel=froehlich

I like this one LOL

This is Tigerlily doing something naughty to me!

Hahaha!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I ordered the new one today. I hope it is good!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

pavotrouge

"The new one" means VCTOTW or is the next one available already and I've spent the last weeks in... oh, did I really spend that much time in the office?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Vengea...3917891&sr=8-1

I mean this one. By the looks of it, it only came out on the 28th Feb 2007 in the UK!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

inkedmiss

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Vengea...3917891&sr=8-1

I mean this one. By the looks of it, it only came out on the 28th Feb 2007 in the UK!
    If you order it from VIVA it is delivered almost immediately. I got the new paperback copy from them after waiting over a month from amazon and finally giving up. I ordered from VIVA on the monday and it was delivered on the wednesday

Supposedly my copy from Amazon has already been dispatched, Amazon is usually good for me.

pavotrouge

I saw this too on amazon Germany some weeks ago, but seemed like a reprint of the first book ?_? There's no information about a new book on the ppk site either.

PS: Just looked up the info text on Amazon... it IS a reprint.

Is it? So I don't need to buy the old one as well then?

Good, that saves money. lol

I just got my copy through today had a flick through can't wait to try it out! but I've also ordered 3 other cook books (yea I went a bit mad the other day, been spending too much lately...) anyway I'm loving the idea of a vegan brunch cafe, but would have nowhere to host it, as York is pretty tiny, although I've got our house to myself for a short while over the easter break that would be soooo much fun! when I get my own place I'm definitely doing it!
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

inkedmiss

Has anyone made the raspberry, choc blondie bars yet ? I made these today but they are really gooey almost raw in the middle. I baked them for a lot longer than recommended, and that was with a oven thermometer so know the temperature is right...

They do taste yum though, you just couldn't cut them into bars like I hoped

Lol, yes I've made those this afternoon - same problem too, I think I baked them for about an hour and a half all told and still the middle is just goo!! They are absolutely delicious though...I think that they may mak a marvellous pudding served still warm with some swedish glace
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

It is probably the jam that makes them gooey...I mean the jam just makes the pastry "wet" if you know what I mean?

inkedmiss

Someone on PPK recommended maybe baking the bottom layer first for about 10 mins so I will try that next time I think because as you rightly say they are far too nice to not cook again ...

That sounds like a good solution doesn't it, must remember to try that next time - thanks!

Bought this book. The muffins dont turn out very well. The choc and raspberry cake is lovely, the cupcakes are lovely and i trying the carrot cake sometime this week. Savoury- i have tried the Knish which was lovely and the millet recipe oh and the scrambled tofu but i changed it a little and stuck some tomatoes in and that was great.

inkedmiss

I made the moroccon tagine thing tonight and it was really nice. I also love the chickpea and spinach curry.
    I am trying to make more savoury as I tend to bake more from the cookbooks than I do cook actual meals.

Forgot to mention that i had to add an extra 2 oz or so to the chocolate cake as it was far to runny and used self half self raising and half plain flour. Made the carrot cake but havent tried it yet. Used 5oz self raising and 4 1/2 oz of palin flour. Not in a great eating mood but like to be busy so bake more than i ever eat.

i almost fell out of my seat on the tube last night - in the londonpaper (free evening commuter paper) they have a 'fast supper' recipe every night. the recipe last night was....asparagus and sundried tomato frittatta. from vegan with a vengance.

i couldn't quite believe it - but thought it was pretty awesome quite often they pick a book and run a 'theme' through the week, so hopefully there'll be some more this week, and they'll get london eating nice, friendly food for a change!

amanda

The carrot cake is the best carrot cake i have ever had. Takes a bit of making but it is worth it. I highly recommend it.

inkedmiss

Quote puffin View Post
    The carrot cake is the best carrot cake i have ever had. Takes a bit of making but it is worth it. I highly recommend it.

Did you use the carrot muffin cake mix and just put it in a cake tin ? If so what size tin etc as I wanna make carrot cake asap

thanks

no there is a carrot cake in the book. It is carrot, Ginger and some nut which i cant remember but i used walnuts anyways. Havent got the book with me as i am at work but i shall have a look what page it is for you tomorrow.

Page 211

inkedmiss

thanks Ill give it a whirl

obesevegan

This book is worth every penny for the scrabbled tofu recipe alone

However all the recipes are available on their website if you are strapped for cash...!

---------------
    The Fat Vegan Project ~ Diary of a fat vegan who wants to lose it all
    http://www.govegan.co.uk/fat
    ---------------

pavotrouge

not all of the recipes, though

made the mocha chip muffins today (in between revision...) they're really good.

I finally received this and the cup cake one. It has made my week. Last night, I made the white bean soup with roasted garlic which went down really well with my family and today the pasta dish with tapenade, hoping that some tapenade would be left over but they virtually licked the dish out..We have just tried the first vanilla basic cupcake and it came out a bit on the heavy side. Will have to experiment a bit more with that.
    Definitely converted to Vegan with a Vengeance for now. I heard that they were working on a BBQ book too which should be good. Anyone know when it's coming out?

Don't know about it being a BBQ book, but the new book (released roundabout Autumn time) is going to be called Veganomicon

I've just made the 'best pumpkin muffins' from VWAV - dear God they are absolutely bloody gorgeous. I had to make them with butternut squash as I didn't have pumpkin and I've made them in a tin, so got muffin 'bars' instead....but even with those little tweakings they are fantastic....if you have this book you MUST make them!!

"oh!", said emma presley all nonchalantly, "what a coincidence that poison ivy, the lady who makes and posts piccies of delicious looking buns and muffins, lives in yorkshire! i also live in yorkshire..i wonder how much hinting it would take to cadge an afternoon tea invite..."

ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Maybe we should organise a yorkshire based VF picnic meet up to eat all the goodies at?

I've just made the carrott-raisin muffins, they are cooling. I need to make some actual meals from here at some point, but muffins are good

Poison Ivy, those pumpkin muffin/bars look delish! The Alternative Baking Company in the States make the BEEEEEEESSSSSSST vegan cookies **EVER** (no, seriously) in the most amazing flavours - on my most recent trip to NYC i bought a whole stash back to the uk with me including the "Phenomenal Spiced Pumpkin" cookie...Sadly I've gobbled them all now, so I can see I'm going to have to buy VWAV in an attempt to make something similar myself.

Yours look v.v.yummy PI, so thanks for the inspiration

I am in the midst of a love affair with this book especially since my part omni family have not mentioned meat once since I have been cooking from it. Nearly every day for two weeks!
    But, I was wondering, does anybody else find the recipes a bit heavy on salt? I use a low-salt substitute and since I'm just trying these recipes have been following them pretty religiously and I have realized that I must reduce the salt in each recipe. I also find that she puts quite a bit of salt in sweet things. What do you think?

When I've made anything out of it I don't measure the salt - just put a few grinds from the salt mill in....it seems plenty, and I find everything tasty enough that way

I think I'll do the same Poison Ivy from now on. What's your favourite recipe? Have you pre-ordered Veganomicon? I promised myself that I would stop buying cookery books...and I must!

I dont put the salt in either, well i put a tiny bit in the cakes but thats about it, tastes fine without.

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    I think I'll do the same Poison Ivy from now on. What's your favourite recipe? Have you pre-ordered Veganomicon? I promised myself that I would stop buying cookery books...and I must!
    I haven't pre-ordered Veganomicon....yet, but I very well may do a little nearer the release date!

I have to confess, I've made mostly the sweet recipes from VWAV, but out of the few savoury ones I've tried the Pad Thai and the White Bean and Roasted Garlic soup were delicious.

Out of the sweet ones I think probably the most commented and most liked was the Raspberry Chocolate Chip Blondie Bars (except I did them with Strawberries)....but they are seriously nice!

pavotrouge

I cannot preorder it on Amazon Germany yet T_T

Anyway, one can NEVER have enough cookery books!

That looks really good Poison Ivy. I also loved that white bean soup especially the roasted garlic. Last night I made nettle and potato soup and put in two heads of roasted garlic and that was tasty.

Pavotrouge - I agree!! I love cookery books and really do use them all. My husband doesn't believe me when I tell him this. I did have a mini-clear out and let go a few but the shelf is bulging still.

pavotrouge

let me know when you have another clearout ^^

I put my old (huuuge) yellow bookshelf in the kitchen only for cook books when I got some new shelves.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy any cookbook from these author(s). Just reading them is as much fun as cooking from them!

Today I made the spanakopita, in pie form. I wanted to make the individual ones, but I was a bit intimidated working with phyllo dough for the first time, plus I was pressed for time. Tough to get out of the pan, but really really tasty.

LOL Pavotrouge
    You know I only cleared out really naff stuff....Like things from my MIL explaining how to cut up animals...:-(

I know what you mean Jambox, I love VwAV and would love to meet the authors. I tried to watch one of their little films on-line but it was all jerky.

It was my husband's birthday on Saturday and I made the sweet potato pancakes with coconut,cachew and tamarind sauce. I think I did something wrong with the sauce but the pancakes were lovely. I substituted cachew butter for ground cachew which was not great...don't do what I did!!

I just got my copy of this and can't wait to try some of the recipes. I really fancy the Spanakopita and will freeze whatever is left for work lunches. The sweetcorn chowder I'm going to do tomorrow night.

Hi Tam Lin,
    I have just made the scrambled tofu for the first time tonight and my mouth is watering just thinking about it down there in the kitchen waiting for me to eat it! It smellls really good.

Cheers for that I've never had scrambled tofu so must try it for breakfast.

Gave in and ordered this and the Cupcake one. Now impatiently waiting for them to arrive
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time