Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan with a Vengeance

Default Re: Vegan with a Vengeance

I'm a bit disappointed by this cookbook, expected more somehow. Oh well...

pavotrouge

Which recipes have you tried?
    I found it rather boring when I flicked through it for the first time.

Oh sorry you don't like it Fiamma. I feel responsible for having gone on about it so much!!

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Oh sorry you don't like it Fiamma. I feel responsible for having gone on about it so much!!
    I'll know who to blame then
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Which recipes have you tried?
    I found it rather boring when I flicked through it for the first time.
    That's exactly it. I haven't tried any recipes, but I don't feel terribly inspired by any of them I guess when you start accumulating cookbooks you start to get picky Don't feel bad, Ros! I've been meaning to get it for ages

Oh Talitha!! !! LOL

Fiamma, your post has made me wonder why I do get on so well with this book and I think that it is because the recipes go down so well with my family. Today I made the white bean and tempeh patties and they are just simple tasty little things that toddlers can get into.
    I was thinking too that you hate the 'mock duck' etc.. and maybe the seitan is off putting for you in that case being so meatish.
    Hopefully you will try a few things and like them. If not just sell it on Amazon!!;-)

Still waiting for my copy. Are lots of the recipes based on mock meats? I've seen seitan in the shops but haven't tried it - I didn't think it looked exactly appetising
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

There's a recipe to make your own seitan which I have found really interesting and she also uses tempeh a lot. I have just sent off for a tempeh starter kit. Before this I didn't really know what to do with tempeh and found it pretty odd stuff but now I like it. We are also consuming a lot more tofu in different ways. I have had success with her waffles and pancakes too. The author is from Brooklyn and I have a soft spot for it although I've never been.
    My copy took over a month to arrive and I received it at the same time as the cupcake one which I have used less. Hoping for more time to experiment soon.

For those who have this cookbook, are the recipes high-fat? Do they use a lot of oil? I'm not anti-fat or anything but I'd rather not have to use tons of it.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

pavotrouge

Isa is not really keen on keeping things lo-fat, but states in the baking section that all the recipes can be turned into low-fat ones.

Among the regular recipes, there are quite a lot of Mediterranean and Asian recipes which don't require a lot of fat.
    So I'd say it's mid-fat

Fiamma, give it a try! I had the book on my shelf for some weeks before I tried something (I think it was the Gnocci recipe)- and immediately fell in love.

I ordered this and Vegan Cupcakes yesterday but have a bit of a wait
    I need some inspiration in the kitchen
    here comes the sun

I did the Samosas last week and they were absolutely wonderful; my omnivores couldn't get enough of them!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    For those who have this cookbook, are the recipes high-fat? Do they use a lot of oil? I'm not anti-fat or anything but I'd rather not have to use tons of it.
    This is what I'm thinking - I don't use oil or fat any more and lots of vegan recipes call for a cup o oil each time

Onions softened in a little water instead of oil aren't too bad.
    Silent but deadly :p

pathologist

I did the carrot bisque last night - it was absolutely fantastic!

I'm a new cook and this book has been absolutely wonderful. I let it sit around for 6 months, but now that I'm using it, I'm hooked!

I was in Waterstones in Canterbury a few months back and found this book amongst the veggie cook books. Personally I love it and think everyone should buy it, I mean afterall it taught me to make vegan pancakes that even my omni friends like so it can't be bad ay?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

pavotrouge

same for me, I tried about a billion vegan pancake recipes before buying the book and the VWAV one was the first to work for me (same for the pizza dough).

My crepes were a disaster... Spanikopita was OK. Continue to not like this book, we've disliked each other from Day One

I don't like this cookbook either.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Aw. I love this cookbook. I make Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy almost every weekend, I make a double or triple batch and just... well, put it on stuff all week long. I don't like mock meats much either, so I just ignore those recipes. All of the baked goods have gone over well with everyone at potlucks and office parties, with veggie people and omnis.

You either love it or hate it.....or so the story goes!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    I have just sent off for a tempeh starter kit.
    Wow, there is a tempeh starter kit? Where can I get one?

Quote sponge View Post
    Wow, there is a tempeh starter kit? Where can I get one?
    Yeh I have no idea what to do with Tempeh....a starter kit would be awesome!

This is where I got my free sample kit.

Yogini

I made the lemon gem cupcakes today. The icing was runny. The cupcakes had to be refrigerated for a few hours after to get it to set. Does anybody have any idea what's up with the runny icing?

Yogini

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    You either love it or hate it.....or so the story goes!
    Eh, I'm on the fence. Some of the recipes are hits, some are real misses. And everytime I see phrases like "punk points" I'm reminded of Amy Poehler's impersonation of Avril Lavigne - "Bleah!! I'm a punk!" (The point being she's really just a poser.)

Yogini

Quote Chanterelle View Post
    Aw. I love this cookbook. I make Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy almost every weekend, I make a double or triple batch and just... well, put it on stuff all week long.
    What kind of stuff do you put it on? I love chickpeas and I love gravy, so it seems logical I would love this recipe. But I can't eat potatoes (they're an arthritis trigger for me) and I can't think of what else I might put it on.

pavotrouge

I think it'd go well with all sorts of grains, preferably brown rice.

Yogini

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I think it'd go well with all sorts of grains, preferably brown rice.
    Mmm. That sounds good.

I bought this book yesterday - although I'm mainly raw these days, certainly on week days, I like to cook when we have guests and also at the weekends for myself and Corum.
    I think the recipes look great - it is only the 3rd vegan cookbook I have, I usually veganise vegetarian recipes.
    Some of the ingredients are not familiar to me and a few Americanisms I don't understand!
    I'm doing the bean and roasted garlic soup for Corum tomorrow.

pavotrouge

There are also some close-to-raw recipes, Hemlock- I strongly recommend making the Mango Summer rolls (only the noodles need to be cooked/soaked in hot water)!

Yes I saw that - it looked fantastic, thanks

Yogini

I made the chickpea gravy today (I also made a huge mess.) I put some over brown rice and veggies and was pretty happy with it. I like the Chicago Diner Cookbook's gravy recipe better, but I'm sure the chickpea gravy is way better for me.

Quote Yogini View Post
    What kind of stuff do you put it on? I love chickpeas and I love gravy, so it seems logical I would love this recipe. But I can't eat potatoes (they're an arthritis trigger for me) and I can't think of what else I might put it on.
    Sorry, I've been away. Mostly I put Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy on brown rice, but it's also really good over cooked greens such as kale, chard, or cabbage.

Yogini

Quote Chanterelle View Post
    Sorry, I've been away. Mostly I put Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy on brown rice, but it's also really good over cooked greens such as kale, chard, or cabbage.
    That's cool.

Yesterday I tried it over brown rice and veggies. It was pretty good.

cobweb

I've just borrowed this from the library but didn't like the 'feel' of any of the recipes . I found the dialogue a bit sort of 'young' aswell . To be fair I rarely use recipes, i just get loose ideas from books .

pavotrouge

Then it's a very good book, there are so many recipes that I tweaked quite a lot and use for everything.
    Ok I really should stop defending the book, right?

TofuNinjaMaster

I'm supposed to be getting this cookbook. It's going to be my first vegan cookbook. Yay! I want to get the Cupcake one too. I think that'll be nice. I got it from this vegan website HerbivoreClothing.com. I got a pink Koala shirt too. It's so cute.

pavotrouge

Gals, the countdown is on for the next book...amazon tells me it'll be out by the end of October.

Vegan Traveler

Ooo ooo what's it called?
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

it's called Veganomicon!

Oh Wow! I'm going to get this book ASAP. I only have one vegan cookbook called "Tofu Quick and Easy" by Louise Hagler. Unfortunately, I didn't realized that it was a low-fat, low-salt tofu book. No wonder there's no taste in the recipes I use in that book. Vegan With a Vengeance here I come.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Here are some of my favourites from the book.

Raspberry Blackout Cake. Best cake EVER. I've been told by several omnivores that this is the best cake they have ever had.

Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies.

Sparkled Ginger Cookies.

pavotrouge

yummy alisa!
    It always amazes my that the thumbprint cookies come out just like my grandma did them!

Someone mentioned that the muffins didn't come out right but I haven't had any problems. The Fauxstess Cupcakes are worth the work!!! Non-vegans really like these! They really aren't that hard. I skip the squigglies because I tried those and failed! They don't need them anyway, they are just decoration.

Quote puffin View Post
    Bought this book. The muffins dont turn out very well. The choc and raspberry cake is lovely, the cupcakes are lovely and i trying the carrot cake sometime this week. Savoury- i have tried the Knish which was lovely and the millet recipe oh and the scrambled tofu but i changed it a little and stuck some tomatoes in and that was great.
    I mentioned it. I think they were just to stodgy. I prefer cherrys muffin recipe. I add a bit of alpro yogurt after twinkles recommendation and they work perfect. I guess i like my cake to be a little lighter and they turned out to weighty, might have been my cooking skills though
    I haven't used this book for ages now. I really enjoyed making some of the recipes but i dont use any in my everyday cooking. I still think the carrot cake is the best cake ever though.

I just got this book yesterday. I know...I can't believe that I have been vegan for over a year and did not own a copy of this book either. But last night my boyfriend and I had veggie burgers and i made the sweet potato fries, and this morning I made the best scrambled tofu I have ever tasted with recipes from this book. I really look forward to making several things I have seen while poring over it. Any suggestions?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

pavotrouge

my suggestion is: make everything

i concur

Thanks guys...I plan to make as much as possible...that ginger macadamia coconut carrot cake looks amazing! I really want to try the moroccan tagine with spring vegetables, the jerk seitan, the curried split pea soup...so many things look good. And I am still drooling over my scrambled tofu from this morning...
    tabbouleh-bouleh