Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vegan with a Vengeance

Default Re: Vegan with a Vengeance

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't be arsed to read through 8 pages.

Has anyone seen the UK version compared to the US version? I would like the UK version for the measurements, but reviews on Amazon said it wasn't a nice as the US one (poor typeface & no piccies)

Can anyone confirm that the UK version is good?

Thankee

I made the peanut butter cookies and they ended up really soft and fell apart. Did anyone else make them?

i've got the UK version. true, no piccies, but clear directions etc. i do find the division in this book a trifle peculiar, but everything i've made comes out very tasty. totally re-inspired the vegan-cook in me

amanda

Great, thanks! I think I will go for that because cups don't make sense. How can you measure non-liquid stuff in a volume measure???

pavotrouge

Quote gormandizer View Post
    I made the peanut butter cookies and they ended up really soft and fell apart. Did anyone else make them?
    a lot of people experienced difficulties with that recipe (at least on the PPK forums)... I made them several times and they turned out for me... maybe don't follow the recipe too closely ?!

Thanks pavotrouge, maybe it was the cornstarch? I'd never made peanut butter cookies before then, vegan or otherwise so I just followed the book recipe. Do you remember how you tweaked the recipe? I'll try some of the other ones that people are raving about, it was the first one I tried so it was a little discouraging, especially in a household of non-vegans that were skeptical how they'd turn out to begin with...

pavotrouge

there's cornstarch in the recipe? for sure (can't be bothered to look it up)? then try leaving that out, I never used cornstarch for those cookies...

I can't really tell how I tweaked it, when I "make" recipes I just sorta look at the ingredients list and get started and estimate the amounts. Sorry

Just got this one and loveit! The chocolate thumprint cookies have been a wild hit and are super easy and quick to make

I love this book!

I make the coconut pancakes at least 2 sundays a month: They are the only vegan pancakes that I've been able to make gluten free!!! I use a combo of rice, buckwheat and arrowroot flower.

The Brooklyn Pad Thai will knock your socks off!!!! I had to get my husband to take it away or I would have eaten till I burst!

Onely complaint: Too many baked goods/desserts. But then, I'm a diabetic celiac (and yes, I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING )

I just got this book and I have friends (omnis) over for dinner this week - can anyone recommend one of the recipes for this? It can't be anything too spicy unfortunately.

Ta!

pavotrouge

there's a good recipe for black-eyes bean stuffed peppers that doesn't use any special "vegan" ingredients and goes well with every sort of grain and potato dish. I've used it for omnis a couple of time and they loved it.

Thanks, I'll give that a go! x

The Raspberry blackout cake recipe is officially SHIT. I should have known it wouldn't work when the recipe called for just 175g flour when the sugar, preserves, oil and rice milk came to about 6 times that amount. The measurements, directions and temperatures (I have an oven thermometer) were done accurately.

Has anyone else come out with what were essentially two (very bad) crumbly, huge messy cookies?

pavotrouge

I love the recipe. Do you have the UK or US version?

UK version.

pavotrouge

that's probably it, a good deal of it hasn't been converted properly. I can PM you the US recipe if you like, because this cake is really awesome!

I made the stuffed peppers and they were really tasty! A nice change of filling from what I would normally do. The people I fed enjoyed them as well.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    that's probably it, a good deal of it hasn't been converted properly. I can PM you the US recipe if you like, because this cake is really awesome!
    that would be much appreciated

thankies!

Quote Nikheil View Post
    I make the coconut pancakes at least 2 sundays a month: They are the only vegan pancakes that I've been able to make gluten free!!! I use a combo of rice, buckwheat and arrowroot flower.
    Ooh, good to hear you've had success w/ gluten free pancakes, mine have all been terrible so far!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Today we have made pad Thai, which was yum; coconut cupcakes, which are delicious but stuck to the cake cases; banana chocolate brownies, which are really delicious!

Mmmmmmm.... I have been wanting to make the coconut cupcakes. Glad to hear they were good.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

You should definitely make them. We made them for a party today, but quite a few have already mysteriously disappeared! I'm about to make the spanikopita to take too, I'll post how nice it is later

i got this book as a birthday pressie the other day. it looks a bit intimidating..i keep intending to make some seiten cos i have the stuff. i might read through the entire thread.

*deep breath*
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    The Raspberry blackout cake recipe is officially SHIT. I should have known it wouldn't work when the recipe called for just 175g flour when the sugar, preserves, oil and rice milk came to about 6 times that amount. The measurements, directions and temperatures (I have an oven thermometer) were done accurately.

Has anyone else come out with what were essentially two (very bad) crumbly, huge messy cookies?
    I changed some of the ingr to

9 oz of self raising flour not 6 oz of plain
    5 oz of sugar not 9
    7 oz of jam not 10

Its works brilliant like that.

Quote puffin View Post
    I changed some of the ingr to

9 oz of self raising flour not 6 oz of plain
    5 oz of sugar not 9
    7 oz of jam not 10

Its works brilliant like that.
    chuffin awesome.

next picnic, here I come.

i made those lemony cut up cookies..i posted a pic in the scoff thread..but like i said there..i chilled the dough overnight and had to bake them for well over half an hour instead of the recommended 6 to 8 minutes. also rolling the dough out was IMPOSSIBLE?! it was the consistency of uncooked playdough..if anyone's made that? had to have a small mound of icing sugar to coat both my hands to scoop up a bit to roll lightly then pat gently into a cookie shape.

also made seitan last night..followed the recipe exactly..well halved everything..those recipes seem to be for 6 people?! it's marinading for later..am making jerk seitan..

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    that's probably it, a good deal of it hasn't been converted properly.

That's a bit stupid.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote emmapresley View Post
    i made those lemony cut up cookies..i posted a pic in the scoff thread..but like i said there..i chilled the dough overnight and had to bake them for well over half an hour instead of the recommended 6 to 8 minutes. also rolling the dough out was IMPOSSIBLE?! it was the consistency of uncooked playdough..if anyone's made that? had to have a small mound of icing sugar to coat both my hands to scoop up a bit to roll lightly then pat gently into a cookie shape.
    ingredients too warm?

I'll try them asap and let you know how it goes.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    chuffin awesome.

next picnic, here I come.
    Well good luck for next time.
    The carrot cake in there is just wonderful if that fails. For the filling i us 3/4 of a tube of vegan cheese spread, coconut, a bit of marg, enough icing sugar to sweeten it and some vanilla.

Thumbs up Re: Vegan with a Vengeance

i've made some ace stuff out of here..the lemon cookies..the fab tofu scramble..chickpea gravy and jerk seitan..then something using the leftover seitan that was improvised and sweet potato and watercress hash..which is really nice. i've taken pics...but having trouble (ie i can't be arsed) with phone/computer/photobucket atm.

Mmmm...the jerk seitan is delicious.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I made the coconut heaven cupcakes wednesday night and they are probably my favorite cupcakes I have ever made. I topped them with the coconut icing with a fresh raspberry on top. They were so pretty! So far I have gotten good reviews...
    tabbouleh-bouleh

they're next on my list then.

thanks for the influence

I'm making the chickpea broccoli casserole for dinner tonight, but halving the recipe which am not too sure about. Will let you all know how it goes though!

I made the homemade gnocchi a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely, really filling and quite heavy but that's the way it's meant to be I suppose.

I made the lemon gem cupcakes and the mocha chocolate chip muffins this week too, they are both amaaazing.

The pesto recipes are great too.
    Gargle with peroxide, a steak for your eye,
    But I'm a pizzatarian so it's a frozen pizza pie.

Quote bryzee86 View Post

I made that using the UK version of the book and it was honestly the best cake I've ever had.. it turned out perfectly! Are you sure you didn't do something else wrong?
    Gargle with peroxide, a steak for your eye,
    But I'm a pizzatarian so it's a frozen pizza pie.

I'm positive! I followed it to a tee! It was a distaster.

Maybe i'll try it again and see if it's the same.

JC

i bought this book today too, yay! any suggestions for an easy recipe? i'm not the most experienced of cooks

RubyDuby

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I'm making the chickpea broccoli casserole for dinner tonight, but halving the recipe which am not too sure about. Will let you all know how it goes though!
    didn't turn out so good when i made it... but i'm a terrible cook.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

It was pretty good actually - bit bland but she did say that in the recipe so can't complain. Made the mushroom sauce to go with it, that was very yummy!
    Have also made the ginger-raisin bran muffins which are gorgeous, and tonight am attempting the quinoa stuffed peppers and mashed potato with chickpea gravy. Am having a bit of a cooking spree!

My o/h has this book, and he loves it, and uses it when he can, I love reading it, and picking out recipes for him to make. One of these days I am going to have to try a recipe for myself, although I can only do EXTREMLEY basic cooking, i have never made anything using tofu, or cooked anything from fresh.......don't need to though know i have my soon-to-be hubby, who is a fabulous cook

Joeybee you're a lucky girl!

I just made the mushroom and sundried tomato risotto. Yum yum. I don't have an black truffle oil though. I haven't been able to find any (even though depending on the price, I'm not sure I'll buy it at all). Does anyone know where to find any of this?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I just made made home made pizza for my omnivore friends. They liked it. Vegan with a vengeance is an awesome book because it has a lot of simple recipes my picky friends and young sister can enjoy and I love satisfying picky people with my cooking. It also proves that vegans don't only eat salads and tofu squares.

I've probably said this before, but I think I'm the only person on the planet that hates this book, I'm thinking of getting rid of it, and I NEVER do that with books...

Really? Can you mial it to me??? I currently keep renting it from my library but was thinking of buying it--what don't you like about it???
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. ~Oscar Wilde

This is my favourite cook book, I have made heaps of the recipes and there are only a couple I haven't liked that much.I have a craving for the BBQ tofu, havent had it for ages and it's so good.

Quote Jasmine_tea View Post
    what don't you like about it???
    I guess most of the recipes are kind of complicated and are heavy on the spices, just doesn't really suit my cooking style. I'm in love with all the Sarah Kramer books, Isa's one just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I made the Spanikopita and to be honest wasn't that impressed. Just flicking through it makes me feel kinda hopeless.. and I consider myself a good cook. Oh dear, this is making me sound like some kind of culinary freak...

Oh yeah, being in Italy with all the amazing fresh produce etc. you don't really need to add much--just steam veggies and toss with olive oil and some salt and pepper and maybe a squirt of lemon and you're good You're quite lucky that way! Maybe you can reserve your Isa cookbooks for when you visit North America
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. ~Oscar Wilde

pavotrouge

Quote fiamma View Post
    I've probably said this before, but I think I'm the only person on the planet that hates this book, I'm thinking of getting rid of it, and I NEVER do that with books...
    I agree with you, concerning V-con. I love VWAV though. I might sell a lot of my cookbooks soon, is there any demand on here?!