Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Quote veganlinda View Post
    I went to el piano in York yesterday totally vegan, nut free and gluten free and they had vegan cider too. Twas v nice!
    Didn't you find it a tad flavour-free though?

Quote Kevster View Post
    Went to Dandelion and Burdocks in Sowerby bridge for their Christmas meal and to celebrate the end of a year! The food was excellent, i started with bubble and squeak cakes which tasted delicious, my only previous experience of bubble and squeak was when my Mum used to make a vile concoction, however, this was really good tasty stuff with salad, dressing and mayo.

For main course it was the traditional cashew nut roast with sweet potato and sweet sauce mmmmmmmmmmmm also tried some of the sweet potato pie!!!! For dessert the beetroot and chocolate cake, with chocolate ice cream and chocolate sauce scored very highly on the dessert front!!!

Very good food!!!!

This morning i had chocolate cookies for breakfast.
    Blimey I love this place too. Not far away in Hebden Bridge there's a place called Relish World Food (Albert Street) & half the menu is vegan & equally as good as Dandelion & Burdock.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (West Yorkshire)

Quote Akala View Post
    One crazy thing that stood out on the menu was the peanut butter and apple sandwich. I wonder how people come up with these crazy dishes. Its probably because they're aimed at crazy people like me. Me being crazy, I went back and tried this crazy menu item which, crazily, was actually quite nice. Crazy!

Also went to ‘relish global eatery’ in Hebden Bridge. It has a very nicely decorated interior and you can see the kitchen from the dining area. A bit of a strange atmosphere as I was the only one there. I had a main course which was OK, and a chocolate and ginger torte with fig jam for dessert which was tiny and not that good. The portions served are quite small and definitely not worth the very expensive prices. It’s still expensive if you go for the time specific special offers like I did, which worked out at £8 for the main course and £4 for dessert. I think the cheapest options would be to buy two mains for two people which would be £6 each, or three mains for three people at £5 each. If you’re not dining at them times, it works out very expensive and you’re better off travelling the short distance to nearby Dandelion and Burdock for slightly lower prices and probably better food. They did put a slice of lemon in my tap water though.

…….I really need to learn to cook.
    It just goes to show that taste is a funny thing. To me, peanut butter & apple (or apple & carrot) is a classic combination & I used to get them for kunch from a veggie place near work absolutely donkeys ages ago. And as for Relish I loved every mouthful of their food. I didn't find it expensive either - good quality food, freshly & expertly prepared in nice surroundings isn't cheap and I want the chef to make a living from her work and keep the place going. Dandelion & Burdock, which I agree is also fabulous, have an alcohol licence which ups their margins considerably (when I'm there it does anyway!) and at Relish you can take your own wine which keeps costs down.

PS: I've had the fig/ginger pudding referred to.... and yes the portion was small but it was fantastic and after the two preceeding courses I was popping!
    Last edited by jonnie falafel; Oct 21st, 2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Forgot the pudding

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    Didn't you find it a tad flavour-free though?
    Tbh I discovered the cider first and was catching up with a freind so the food was kind of not that important but lovely to be able to choose anything on the menue. But yes, I guess, the food didn't stand out flavour wise and wasn't particularly cheap either. Nice place though.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

I was in Aberdeen last weekend and went to Musa on Exchange Street. There were no vegan dishes so I said I was vegan and perhaps the felafel dish would be good if I had chutney instead of the yoghourt. The waitress came back and said that there was egg in the felafel (good that she was honest) so I suggested the veggie risotto without the parmesan. Then the chef came out! Cream in the risotto, but he said he had just cooked up a bit lot of beans and chick peas and had a good selection of roasted veg. Sounded good to me so I said 'yes please'. The dish was huge and delicious with roasted nuts sprinkled over and salad. Not sure what it cost, about £8 I think.
    I didn't feel that I was being awkward rather that they felt bad that I couldn't find something to eat. So I would def. recommend it to anyone in Aberdeen, though perhaps I was just lucky.....

Buddha Belly

Today me and Helen went to a veg*n restaurant in Tring, Herts, called Greenhouse.
    http://www.thegreenhousetring.co.uk/welcome.html

We went as part of our social group
    http://www.nhvegetariansandvegans.org.uk/index.html

The food was good but not a great selection to choose from. The staff were really nice and friendly and the atmosphere was good. The building was well thought out and full of character.

I had a Sunday Nut roast dinner this came with raw cauliflower and Brazil nut, sweet potatoe mash, onion gravy and apple sauce. Pudding was cashew and date ice kreme. The pudding was a little disappointing, but that was due to my own personal tastes and nothing to do with the food, Helen loved the ice kreme. Helen had falafel and cous cous, she found the falafel a little strange to taste but she is ill and her taste buds may not be as good as usual.

We forget to take our camera so we have no pics.

The price was quite reasonable for what we got.

The Terrace Arts Cafe in Seaton, Devon is something quite special, given it's location in an otherwise vegan friendly free area. Probably not worth crossing the country for, but well worth a visit if within 20 miles.

I enjoyed the new Jyotis a lot more than their previous place. Their poppadoms are crap, they don't have vegan dhosas and the photos of jamie oliver are rather off putting, but other than that it is super good value for money and would certainly go again.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

helen105281

We have just returned from holiday in Penzance and went to the following places (will post pics of some of the food on the pictures of good food thread).

The Olive Farm (Penzance): wonderful olives, garlic, breads etc and they cater for special diets. We ate there a few times. They also made as a lovely panini for the journey home.

The Lotus House (Penzance): Chinese take away serving mock duck pancakes and loads of tofu options.

Sun City (Penzance): Chinese restaurant with again loads of tofu options but not as good as the take away.

Archie Browns (Penzance and Truro): Great veggie cafe and healthfood shop, bigger menu at the Truro one bot both great. Had breakfast and cake in Penzance and a burger and five-a-day salad in Truro.

Terra Viva (St Ives): Lovely small veggie/vegan restaurant, had tofu burger and cranberry quinoa and BB had Lentil rissoles and coleslaw. Then had banana cake and date slice.

Zero

I was in Telford today near Ironbridge and found out about Cherry's Real Food Café (formerly Cinnamon's), so I paid them a visit, they are part of the Green Wood Centre.

Unfortunately they close at 4pm and I got there around 3:30pm so there was no chance of sampling the main dishes. They are a lacto ovo veggie café but seem to be fairly vegan friendly.

I did have a nice piece of fruit cake and a soy latte though.

Details on Happycow.net

*live*&*let*live

V-Fresh in Blackburn in Lancs - run by the Deaf Society. It's awesome, and I don't say that lightly. Very fresh produce, mostly vegetarian but they are accommodating. Staff are friendly and it's really really great on prices and quality. AND you are supporting a charity too!
    Don't know how many other Lancashire vegans we have on here as I haven't seen any. Thought BlackCats was up the road, but found out she is in Essex, she doesn't want to move to Mancs so I guess I'm on my own...

BlackCats

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Don't know how many other Lancashire vegans we have on here as I haven't seen any. Thought BlackCats was up the road, but found out she is in Essex, she doesn't want to move to Mancs so I guess I'm on my own...
    I don't know why you thought I was from Manchester!

You could start a thread and see if there are other Lancashire vegans.

*live*&*let*live

Umm s'funny you should say that.....*and as if by magic..poof*
    Thanks for not coming to Manchester....

(only joking..)

Default Farnborough?

Anyone know if there is anywhere nice to eat there, please? I have to meet someone for dinner there and the only possibility we have identified so far is Pizza Hut. I gather you can get something vegan to eat there these days, but it doesn't seem very sort of festive. All tips gratefully received!

treaclemine

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I enjoyed the new Jyotis a lot more than their previous place. Their poppadoms are crap, they don't have vegan dhosas and the photos of jamie oliver are rather off putting, but other than that it is super good value for money and would certainly go again.
    There's fewer photos, and the dosas are apparently vegan if ordered without the coconut/dairy chutney?

Shall bear that in mind - ta
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Farnborough?

Quote harpy View Post
    Anyone know if there is anywhere nice to eat there, please? I have to meet someone for dinner there and the only possibility we have identified so far is Pizza Hut. I gather you can get something vegan to eat there these days, but it doesn't seem very sort of festive. All tips gratefully received!
    I imagine I'm too late to help, seeing as you posted this a few weeks ago - but there's an all you can eat Chinese in Farnborough called Real China, their items aren't labelled vegan or even vegetarian BUT the staff are VERY friendly & helpful - if you ask them, they'll go around the buffet telling you exactly which products are vegan, and they also offer to make special dishes for you if there's anything you want or if you aren't happy with the selection. They're absolutely lovely - they've given me a meal for free before, the manager always used to come out & say hello when we were eating there, and one time they came over halfway through my meal with a massive plate of tofu which they'd made especially for me! I haven't eaten there for a year or so but hopefully it hasn't changed.

ETA: I think it's about £10 per head, plus drinks.

Rocket Queen

Has anybody ever been to The Plough, also known as 'Berry's' in Leyland,Preston,Lancs?
    It's a pub/restaurant, serves about 6 vegan options though. I liked it because it was somewhere to get a decent meal without having to search your options and dissect what you could have if you had it without XYZ, which I often find I have to do.
    They have a 'vegan stack', which is polenta,couscous, grilled veg and tomato sauce over, and they have vegan 'bolognese' (which I found to be really bland and horrid actually, as it had no bolognese about it, just pasta with a tomato sauce!)And a vegan chilli among other things. Its not too expensive either.
    Only qualms I had is, I am quite a creative cook and thus when I eat out I always know I could make something much better for much less the price!However I think this is the case for many people vegan or not
    But, it was always somewhere good to go for occasions or whatever.
    It has a lot of vegetarian options aswell.
    Only thing,it does serve meat , extensive meats too ostritch etc.
    But I thought it worth a mention as many pubs don't even bother to provide for vegans at all, especially in less 'cosmopolitan' cities.

Quote herbivorous bex View Post
    I imagine I'm too late to help, seeing as you posted this a few weeks ago - but there's an all you can eat Chinese in Farnborough called Real China.
    Have just seen this - thank you very much indeed for the suggestion bex. I will try and get my friend to go to Real China if we meet up there again.

Where we ended up last time was a Thai place, called Thai Pairin, in North Camp. It was nice and they did manage a fine apparently-vegan meal. We were the only people in there, which felt a bit strange. We were quite early so maybe it gets busy later.

The Plough sounds a bit of a find too - a vegan-friendly pub that's not in Brighton, whatever next?

Rocket Queen

I just realised that review sounded pretty negative and the vegan menu is really quite good! I just didn't rate the bolegnese at all the stack is nice, as are the rest of the dishes I have had. I just am too fussy with food because I cook a lot

I'm copying my post from Vegan Sheffield. As I don't have any vegan friends and only one veggie friend who would be interested in eating at a vegan restaurant, I'm interested in local restaurants that just happen to have a vegan menu or good reputation at producing a decent vegan meal that's either on their menu anyway or that can be cooked up on the spot by chef. So if anyone's near Sheffield and has more recs, please do let me know!!

'
    Hi, I have personally enjoyed the food at Sheffield's Felicinis Restaurant, both before and after turning Vegan. I've just dicovered they actually have a vegan menu too which appears to be adapted items from the main menu and although most seem to be 'X' minus 'Z' at the same price (!) some have different additons such as the dough balls with garlic butter which have an aubergine dip on the vegan menu.

Worth a try if you eat out with meat eaters and need a place suitable for all. I've been twice now for 2 seperate birthday meals and was relieved to discover that I didn't need to order a green salad and portion of potatoes like I did at another Italian restaurant in Sheffield not so long ago..... Apparently they couldnt' do a pizza without cheese even tho the base was fine cos it wouldn't 'hold right'?! and they couldn't possibly consider cooking a risotto without butter/cheese.....etc etc.......

Anyway http://www.felicini.co.uk/menu.asp?menuID=1

I can copy the vegan menu I have on e-mail if any one lives locally and is interested '

Had lunch with a friend in Cambridge today at the Rainbow Cafe.

I had IslaMorada Key Lime and Black Bean Pasta Bow Ties:

Deliciously unusual sauce of tomato, blackbeans, limes & flavoured with aged balsamic vinegar, with a hint of oregano and garlic, served on pasta bow ties and garnish.
    Followed by chocolate cherry pudding and a scoop of vanilla Swedish Glace.

Delicious food, really friendly staff and a gorgeous old building - recommended

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Today me and Helen went to a veg*n restaurant in Tring, Herts, called Greenhouse.
    http://www.thegreenhousetring.co.uk/welcome.html.

Mmmhh - I just went there for my own little celebration of World Vegan Day. It's a really nice venue .. very friendly like you say, had Dark Side of The Moon playing... all very nice! I had the sunday roast too & vegan apple pie with almond ice cream.......

I am now very happy and very full

Leeds_lad1976

I've been told there is a new vegan shop opening on the Wirral (North West) very soon if that's any good..

Quote purpleflipflop View Post
    I'm copying my post from Vegan Sheffield. As I don't have any vegan friends and only one veggie friend who would be interested in eating at a vegan restaurant, I'm interested in local restaurants that just happen to have a vegan menu or good reputation at producing a decent vegan meal that's either on their menu anyway or that can be cooked up on the spot by chef. So if anyone's near Sheffield and has more recs, please do let me know!!

'
    Hi, I have personally enjoyed the food at Sheffield's Felicinis Restaurant, both before and after turning Vegan. I've just dicovered they actually have a vegan menu too which appears to be adapted items from the main menu and although most seem to be 'X' minus 'Z' at the same price (!) some have different additons such as the dough balls with garlic butter which have an aubergine dip on the vegan menu.

Worth a try if you eat out with meat eaters and need a place suitable for all. I've been twice now for 2 seperate birthday meals and was relieved to discover that I didn't need to order a green salad and portion of potatoes like I did at another Italian restaurant in Sheffield not so long ago..... Apparently they couldnt' do a pizza without cheese even tho the base was fine cos it wouldn't 'hold right'?! and they couldn't possibly consider cooking a risotto without butter/cheese.....etc etc.......

Anyway http://www.felicini.co.uk/menu.asp?menuID=1

I can copy the vegan menu I have on e-mail if any one lives locally and is interested '
    Fat Cat pub has vegan food and nasty meaty stuff too.

There's a noodle bar on London Road (Noodle Inn?) that has vegan options, depends what noodles you order. The big fat rice ones are vegan I think. There was a place on West Street that had a vegan/veggie menu, Can't remember the name but it served Mexican/spanish type food. Near the non Boots pharmacy.

Middle Eastern/ Turkish places often have vegan friendly meze.

Pizza Express will make you a cheeseless pizza.

If you are at uni, Interval bar/cafe at Sheff Uni has vegan options on the menu.

Hope that's some help.