Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

You should have asked cos they may have been able to make you something.

If you think about it, it gives them a chance to use a bit of creativity that ordinarily they aren't able to do. I'm sure the cooks there would love the chance to act like real chefs and have some input in the meals. I know when they made me a meal, the waitress was very chuffed with what they managed to make for me.

Maybe I was just lucky that the waitress was very knowledgeable about vegans, but you never know unless you ask.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

feral

You're right Rob, we went for a hotel break just after I turned vegan, I had emailed ahead with the info but the staff hadn't sorted out any vegan bread etc for breakfast, my hubby had a word with reception and they went out and bought me lovely fresh rye bread from a local deli.. the chef made me something different every night for dinner and on our last night came out to meet us and check if we were happy with our meal... he was really nice and seemed to be enjoying the challenge.. everything was great though the caramalised fruit with chillies was a bit of a surprise lol

Kevster

Went to Dandelion and Burdocks in Sowerby Bridge for lunch today:

http://www.dandelionandburdock.uk.com/

Had some really lovely food and it wasn't as expensive as i thought it might be. There are a wide range of variably priced dishes, which also probably vary in quantity.

I had a dhosa for main course and it was excellent and very filling. It was covered with vegan yoghurt and coriander with some rice to the side, and contained potato and spinach and other stuff. Very good, one of my friends who i went with had an artichoke heart, ravioli and parmazano main, which was quite something else. A really good use of vegan alternatives.

For dessert i had the Easter brownie with vegan ice-cream. The chocolate brownie was rich and had an excellent consistency. The addition of a little chocolate sauce and broken easter eggs added to this amazing dessert.

Dandelion use no animal products in their cooking whatsoever, and i recommend it, though it won't be the cheapest, it isn't the most expensive either.

Climbed the hill to St Anns well cafe in Malvern yesterday, first time Id been and wont be the last!

Its a nice cafe with fab views, a natural water fountain for free drinks!
    The cafe is veggie/vegan yesterday there were 3 soups on all vegan I had the tomato and basil - best soup ive had!

Had to try the choc cake too, out of 10 cakes 4 were vegan, rather scrummy too

They also do sandwiches, drinks and snacks - soya milks available and soya shakes.

Well worth the climb up the hill!

Alison

Kevster - that sounds one wonderful pudding that Dandelion place sounds great!

I went to Wagamamas last night, it was loooovely.
    They do egg free noodles and rice noodles, but they do warn that certain dishes are cooked on the same griddle as egg. Lots of choice, and some tofu dishes. Quite cheap too, though the fruit juice was disappointing.

I ventured into Wetherspoons last night - tried the veggie burger meal with onion rings too - not keen on white bread so just had the burger with 1/2 chips and 1/2 onion rings - very tasty! did check with the chef that its still ok.

Its a good deal for Ģ3.99 - i fancied a nice cold pint to go with the meal - didnt realise it was included.........didnt think fosters was vegan so asked for bud instead (offered to pay difference) but they said no if buds the only vegan beer on tap you can have it!

Very friendly service (but dont see why a chilli with 5 beans in needs quorn too )

Alison

Mickey Veg in gravesend is a great veggie/vegan cafe but not very well publicised. the staff are super friendly. the soup is always vegan and very nice too. you have to get there before 2pm otherwise its all gone, its that good.
    they try to make as much stuff vegan as possible, have lovely salads, smoothies and vegan fruit cake, they even stock a couple of veggie beers for those that fancy a drink with thier meal.
    the place is sit down or take away and reasonably priced.

mickey veg, 187 Parrock Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1EN

01474 569696

Kevster

Went to the Cheerful Chilli last night near Otley, Yorkshire. And stuffed my face with garlic bread, freshly made parsnip crisps, chilli, chips (just a few) and chocolate cake with cream and ice-cream.

They baked a chocolate cake for us especially, and gave us the whole thing!!!! The remains of the cake currently reside in my kitchen.

I subsequently fear that my cake eating days may be on the wane, i managed just two pieces, and it finished me off. There may be pictures of this event, if they make their way to Kiran.....

tabitha

The last veg biriani I had had flippin brussell sprouts in it (gag). Its like they search for the crappest veggies at the back of the freezer and bung them in my curry.

is it possible to have a post that can be added to (by the original poster or moderator) with a list of veggie places to eat at the top of a thread? people can say what they think about the various places within the thread, but a list at the top would be easier to look through than a really long thread.... it could be organized by city...

it's already been done
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

cool gotta love learning the ins and outs of a new forum

thanks
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

ah. it's not a part of this site...

oh well. i'll add to it that

herbie's in exeter is good, as is fat lemons in totnes.

yum yum.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Anyone know of any vegan restaurants in Cheshire/Staffs?

Sorry if you've been through this question before.....big forum so little time to read everything ever posted!

I will check my veggie/vegan eating out guide and post later if i find anything in that area!

We recently visited a nice Italian restaurant in Kendal with some vegan friends. Although it's just a normal omni place, the manager in there was very helpful and was able to provide us with a choice of tasty italian vegan dishes. I recommend you give them a try if you are ever n the area.

Paulo Gianni's Ristaurante 01539 725858
    21a Stramongate, Kendal, LA9 4BH

Also - I found a lovely friendly rural Chip Shop who fried their chips separately from everything else. In palm oil of all things (bad - but v.tasty). So if you fancy some chips ..
    They're in a little village called Staveley just north of Kendal. They also said they would contact their suppliers to see if their veggy burgers and spring rolls were vegan. How nice!
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Have found a vegan friendly cafe in Worcester today Charlies in Sidbury (friend mentioned this place ages ago but id never found it!

It does serve meat but does all day vegan breakfasts and vegan gluten free dishes like chillies and casseroles and nut roasts - even the gravy is gluten free! Owner is not vegan but is intollerant to wheat and her daughters veggie moving towards vegan seperate pans are used for veggie stuff.

Had a fab vegan all day breccy followed by a slice of choc cake - one of the best ive had, large selection of vegan cakes/biscuits

Will be sure to return there for cake!

Kevster

Just been back to Dandelion and Burdocks in Sowerby Bridge.....

I had American style pancakes with maple syrup and slices of fresh fruit.
    Yum (Cherry )

For main it was a Portabello mushroom burger with fries. Proper fries with tommy K and nicely seasoned, delicious.

Lastly some chocolate tart. with chocolate sauce and ice-cream, incredibly rich but lovely.

Excellent food.

Polished off with a couple of Sam Smiths ales in Leeds.

Kevster

Went out with Cloudy last night for a meal and a feeeewwwwwwwwwww beers, bit of a skinful in truth, lovely food and all, half decent company too.

I did however, inexplicably forget to take Cloud anything for his birthday, fortunately i'm at the Bristol vegan fayre so i'll be perusing the stalls for pressies.

Kevster

Went out for vegan pizza with Kiran and Charlotte this evening, very nice. Kiran eventually turned up late as usual, but this time half an hour.... the excuse of his bad leg didn't get very far, especially when considering he left his house at 19.00 to be at the Grove cafe for 19.00, i mean really.

It's definitely getting easier to eat a whole pizza at The Grove, and i had no problems cycling all the way home.

Who is Charlotte and how long has Kiran been back in England for?

If anyone should visit Cardiff make sure you eat at the Vegetarian Food Studio on Penarth Road. I don't know if it's already been mentioned on this thread. It ought to have been. The place is fantastic: delicious Indian/Oriental food, lovely staff and very very cheap. Everything on the menu is vegetarian, most of it is vegan. They know exactly what vegan means so you won't have any trouble here. If you fancy a drink though, you'll have to nip to the off-license next door and buy your own The cafe is a bit of a walk from the train station but well worth it. I'm going to eat there whenever I come back to visit family

Quote Roxy
    Who is Charlotte and how long has Kiran been back in England for?
    Rox, Charlotte does not post here much. Her nick is anti_flag. Kiran has been in England for about 3 days.

LOL Thank you!

I hope you had a lovely time in India, visiting your friends and family.

Demon

Anyone know of any vegan restaurants in Cheshire/Staffs?
    Olivers in Ironbridge is very nice. Veggie with lots of vegan options. Check whether they'll be open before travelling though.

Demon

Local to me is Cosmopolitan in Chelmsford, Essex. An omni Italian restraunt with a vegan menu. Food is delicious but pricey.

Demon

The Three Tuns in Pettistree near Woodbridge/Ipswich did me proud when my family met there for Mother's day this year.

They had not catered for vegans before, but when I got there, the chef had enjoyed researching the subject and gave me a menu with several choices for each course. The food was delicious. It's probably best to phone ahead to ensure they have the ingredients in.

I had lunch today at Pie and Mash in Cheltenham. Lots of vegan options...pies, sausages, mash, vegan breakfast. And there was apple crumble and custard for pud! All certified organic. No smoking.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

The Ritz- Wow, for my friends birthday we are having afternoon tea at the ritz and they're making a special thing for me. I'm so excited!

Quote RedWellies
    I had lunch today at Pie and Mash in Cheltenham. Lots of vegan options...pies, sausages, mash, vegan breakfast. And there was apple crumble and custard for pud! All certified organic. No smoking.
    Oooh - I will have to look that up next time I am down that way visiting my mum

I've only been for tea (drink not 'supper') but I thought I'd mention Service-Heart-Joy in Wimbledon in case any of you are down this neck of the woods for the tennis! 191 Hartfield Road, SW19 3TH. Basic, not open late in the evening, so not a place for dinner. Yet. Cafe style. Very yellow building on the corner, you can't miss it!
    Vegans go all the way.

Haha no I got excited just buying toothpaste there. I was like OH MY GOSH vegan toothpaste. Haha. They definatly had a variety. However it took us more than half an hour to walk there from town, and after a hard days shopping on a very warm day I was so tired to notice everything! I need to go back there again!
    (5/05/06)

yeah its a bit of a trek. we had to get a tram just a few stops past the city centre, cos we were going to that friends wedding. and it was a good 15min walk from the nearest tram stop! so its a long way to go on a hot day!

hehe it was funny cos i went to the cafe and i was like *squeek* "VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE!" ... "VEGAN CARROT CAKE!!".. then we went to the shop and i always get so excited around vegan cosmetics/bodycare etc.

Kevster

I always seem to go to The Basement when i'm in Manchester, it has great food and cakes. I have heard good things about cake at the Earth cafe too....

Went along to The Grove Cafe today for vegan pizza, and ABSOLUTELY GUTTED it was shut for the Summer, i only ordered a pizza from there a week ago! Anyhow, then had to drag Kiran along to Tariqs for food which was certainly pleasant. Definitely have to make a trip to Dandelion and Burdocks sometime soon over in Sowerby bridge.

Quote Kevster
    Anyhow, then had to drag Kiran along to Tariqs for food which was certainly pleasant.
    Yeah the food was good. I would have however preferred a smoke free environment. This restaurant permits smoking inside. The area being small, does not allow the restaurant to designate a smoke free section.

Tariq's is easy to find. Its just off Otley road near the Skyrack Pub and opposite to St. Micheals Church in Headingley. A short walk from the Headingley cricket stadium.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Ive been working on a summer scheme for adults with learning difficulties at the college i work at this week. Most days we have had picnics or made wraps for lunch so ive been fine but on Weds we went to Pizza hut, I was thiking of taking my own lunch but looked at the online 'allergy' info bit of their website - they finally do a 'vegan' dish, all the pizza bases have whey products in but I had a penne pasta dish - basically cold,soggy penne pasta with a spicy roasted vege sauce - nasty pasta but the sauce was fine. Not somewhere I would ever go myself to eat at, but at least i found something to eat, whilst at work.

Why they have to put dairy in the bases is beyond me, Pizza Express is miles better for pizzas compared to PH!

Alison

are you sure the pasta is vegan in pizza hut? i'm almost 100% sure its egg pasta. be careful!

i agree tho...pizza express pizzas are absolutely fantastic. and full of flavor. miles better than pizza hut. pizza huts pizzas are all frozen whereas pizza express make theirs fresh i think anyway. mmm i want pizza now.

Yes Pizza hut do use mainly egg pasta I did go in on both the vegan/allergy stance as i am very intollerant to egg, in fact I asked to see the packet of pasta and the penne was dried egg free! I didnt risk any pasta off the salad cart as thats listed as fresh egg type.

When i was veggie and ate small amounts of egg - it made me so ill within a short time, i was fine after this meal, but unless its work i shall not be in PH again!

High time they altered their menu!

Alison
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 6th, 2006 at 07:07 PM. Reason: A few posts about the smoking ban are in http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=133584#post133584 thread.

I would recommend the Rainbows End Cafe along the high street in Glastonbury. I still try and hop on the bus (takes over an hour since I moved to Weston) every other weekend just to eat there!

It's totally veggie, and although there are usually only 3 or 4 vegan options, the food is always fantastic. You also get rather huge portions, good for those of us with large appetites The vegan chocolate fudge cake has to be tasted to be believed - pure heaven!!!

Then there's also Cafe Galatea further up the high street, again totally veggie and with quite a few vegan options - but unfortunately not much in the way of vegan deserts Still, a nice place to go for a meal in the evening.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

This is a long thread.... maybe it would be a good idea to divide it in two (a London and non-London thread)?

But I thought posts about London restaurants were already being moved to Vegan London thread?

Quote Korn
    This is a long thread.... maybe it would be a good idea to divide it in two (a London and non-London thread)?
    Good idea... We could have a north/ south divide...Lol? Its really hard to just go on this thread and look for a specific place, i.e. Birmingham, etc...
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

true catmogg

I agree, when I am going to visit a certain area there is probably a lot of info here but (although I haven't tried a search) I imagine it is hard to access.
    Maybe things would be clearer if the place was put in the 'Re' title by the poster, or the mod if the poster forgot?

(Although I think that is only an option on an 'advance' reply, not a 'quick reply' which I'm sure many people, as well as myself, tend to use.)

Marrers - Is there anywhere in Croydon town centre that's Vegan friendly?

If you have Google Earth, you can see many of the places on there. Cumin spent hours putting them on.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: CROYDON Vegan friendly restaurants

VeganDrummerSam asked about Croydon.

Not really anyting particularly vegan friendly in the main part, but you can get a nice vegan wrap at Dough Masters (2 branches) if you tell them you have allergies and make sure they remove any cheese off the counter or the equipment. They are so used to people having cheese with everything so be very clear.
    http://www.doughmasters.co.uk

You might get some vegan pasta or an indian, a sarnie in Pret or falafel wrap in Starbucks if you are lucky, the usual fall back options.
    What time of day are you going and can you travel out a bit?

If so Pepperton UK is well worth a visit. It's a five minute walk from Selhurst train station (which is one 3 min stop away from East Croydon or less than 10 minutes on the bus from West Croydon).

They have a good range of savoury mains and starters - the West African Stew is my favourite main. They also do great vegan cakes (chocolate and coffee & walnut cake- mmn!) They do take away too.

It is also an art gallery, the paintings on the walls are for sale and there are more pictures on display in the basement and upstairs.
    http://www.peppertonuk.co.uk/

I keep meaning to go to Pepperton UK, and African food is excellent so now I have another reason

I'm not that familiar with Croydon anymore, but I would probably be going to Beanos on a Monday at some point so I'll have a look out for those. Failing that, I can always head round to Pepperton UK then too.

Thanks.

Pepperton is closed on Sunday evenings and Monday all day and evening.

I'd go to Dough Masters, the small branch isn't too far from Beanos. It is in that little arcade off the High St (almost opp St Georges Walk) that leads to the bridge to the Surrey Street (market) carpark.
    The wraps are sort of like a roti - I usually have aubergine and spinach filling.