Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Quote cedarblue
    true catmogg
    Oi, totally off thread but cedar, you have to stop having Depp in your avatars hes too much of a distraction....Lol who can think about food when hes around....swoon. Lol.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Mmm. They sound very tasty.

I'll have to head over to Pepperton in the evening then

Open Tuesday-Saturday evenings and til 6 on Sundays.

Hello - I am new to this forum business! but LOVE Peppertons! They are a lovely couple and the food is great - they even baked a birthday cake as a suprise for my husband Ian. The cakes are great - and the olive soda bread

Hi nickysr, welcome to the boards! Glad to meet another Pepperton fan!

Hi there - always meant to join this forum but only got round to it today! only know one other vegan (my hubbie!) and thought it would be interesting to go on here

Also there is a new place opened in brixton - on Atlantic Road- all vegan - it's called Zionly Manna so you can guess its a Rastafari place - really great food and really friendly - open all day and evening

Default Re: Sarf London Vegan friendly restaurants!

Sounds great, definitely worth checking out, thanks for the tip! I also want to try that new-ish place in Crystal Palace, have you been?

I hope you will be coming to the Vegan Festival on Sept 10th - some of us are meeting up if you feel up to saying hi and getting to know some more vegans in the flesh! This is the thread where we are talking about meeting up (you might have to sign up for the members only area in your profile, it's literally just the click of a button to get access).
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...2&goto=newpost

thanks - the one in Crystal palace is similar food - Spirited Palace I think? Better for take away I think - not really for an evening out - but then the Brixton one is pretty basic too (but in a nice way!) Not many in this area really.

I agree, when I am going to visit a certain area there is probably a lot of info here but (although I haven't tried a search) I imagine it is hard to access.
    Maybe 'Search This Thread' (see above) would do the trick?

But I thought posts about London restaurants were already being moved to Vegan London thread?
    Sure - you are right.

I'll rename this thread now ('Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)'), since we already have threads called Vegan London, Vegan Brighton, Vegan Bristol, Vegan Sheffield and Vegan Birmingham, which (also) cover vegan friendly restaurants in these cities.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

We took the kids to Ryton Organic nr Coventry on Monday. It's a place all about Organic growing especially vegatables and has a "Vegetable Kingdom" whcih has dun stuff for kids in as well as extensive gardens.
    Although they didn't mention it on their website, their restaurant has vegetarian and vegan options. We had mousaka(vegan cheese), mushroom soup, jaket potato, lots of lovely salad, blackcurrant sorbet and fresh fruit filled pancake with ice cream - all vegan. It all seemed good quality, I'm not sure if the veg and fruit are from their gardens.

Does anyone know where is good for vegan food in Cardiff?
    i know there is Austins in Barry and Starbucks and Boots do vegan sandwiches but apart from that....

Rytons great, I had heard it was going more vegan friendly the shop and produce are good and they do use fresh from the garden supplies in the kitchen/cafe

Quote happy_veg View Post
    Does anyone know where is good for vegan food in Cardiff?
    Check out eatoutveganwales.

thanks

Kevster

Went to Dandelion and Burdocks today, i've been eating out too much of late.
    Went to Hansas, The Grove cafe both in Leeds and now Dandelions in Sowerby Bridge all in a week.

I must steady down a bit.

http://www.dandelionandburdock.uk.com/
    http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/

Met other local vegans for dinner at the City Bar in Wolverhampton (it does serve some rather nasty meat dishes) but has a fab vegan menu. Its got a lot of Polish dishes on the menu. I met non vegan friends for lunch and had polish potato cakes with tomato soya dressing and vegan cheese with salad. Had to try the vegan pancakes after with vanilla glace and syrup they do a lot of wheat free too including pancakes. Its the first place ive seen nut roast filled baguette with onions and vegan gravy

I was back later for round 2 and tried the vegan lasagne - really tasty, no room for any more pancakes

Everyone enjoyed the food - well worth a visit if in Wolverhampton

Alison

I've got a 50th wedding anniversary celebration (parents in law) to go to in March in Scarborough. Eighteen of us, only me vegan, my husband and two children veggie. Does any one have any idea if there are any v*gan friendly good restaurant(s) in the area?

Hi pansypuss, there's a guide here for vegans in Scarborough:

http://www.scarb.co.uk/
    Don't hate...educate!

Smile Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

Thanks for that

Kevster

Went to Pogos in London over the week-end, very good food, excellent cheese cake again. I was also in one of the veg buffet places near Chancery lane before heading off to get inebriated at the nearby Sam Smiths Citte of York.
    Very filling, very good too.

Kevster

Went to The Bear in Todmorden today, they had the fantastic chocolate cake with chocolate sauce on the menu today, really is one of the best things i've ever eaten!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, also managed the dahl starter, Bear Bean burger and a cup of hot chocolate. All good, what a place! Why isn't it in Leeds?

Kevster

Went to the Fieldgate centre near Doncaster today, had an introduction to the place and a tour of their fields and plots where they had onions and leeks at the moment. Then went in for food where they knocked up some great pizzas for us, also had some great cheesecake, chocolate cake and fruit cake. Mmmmmm.

The food is mostly organic and all vegan too.

http://www.fieldgatecentre.org/

Kev, are you secretly a food critic for a paper??
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Has anybody been to Hunky Dory's in Newport?
    I'm going there for my birthday in a couple of weeks, read a couple of good things but I'd like opinions from you guys

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Planning on going to Fern animal sanctuary with the children on Friday. Does anyone know of any vegan places to eat around there(Chard)?
    Failing that we'll take a picnic!

I went to a really good place last night, suitable for everyone (omni and herbies). It's Red Hot World Buffet- http://www.redhot-worldbuffet.com/

I went to the one in Northampton for a work do- plenty of vegan foods!! Loads of salads, veggie tortilla fillings, veggie curry, fresh fruit...

There's also a chef at each "station" who will cook whatever you ask for, and you can ask them about what's in the food if it's not obvious, and they're nothing but friendly and helpful. It made a real change to go out and not worry- I could just go up and get what I wanted without there being "all eyes on me" kind of thing.

I really reccomend it for groups or work outings- not so much for a romantic meal, LOL!

The one in Nottingham has less choice according to the people from work, and an evening meal is £13.95 a head (buffet lunch is less)

That sounds good, my Grandma is in a nursing home in Northampton and ive yet to find other than salad and jacket pot when i go to visit her, not found a vegan aware/friendly place yet in Northampton!

Ive also got family there - would be a good place to meet them for lunch as im guessing its child friendly too, buffets usually are?

Will bookmark that one for future ref!

Quote alisont View Post
    That sounds good, my Grandma is in a nursing home in Northampton and ive yet to find other than salad and jacket pot when i go to visit her, not found a vegan aware/friendly place yet in Northampton!

Ive also got family there - would be a good place to meet them for lunch as im guessing its child friendly too, buffets usually are?

Will bookmark that one for future ref!
    hey alisont there were children at the evening buffet, so i'm sure they will be more than welcome at lunch too! they also have the menu on the website, so you can plan a little ahead!

Reading has a new veggie restaurant - Aangan:

http://www.t3v.makessense.co.uk/locations/1333.html

MANCHESTER

Went to http://www.buffetcity.co.uk/ on Portland Street, Manchester, on Sunday afternoon with my vegan hubby and some omnivorous friends. It's not a vegan restaurant but there were vegan dishes available on the buffet. Many dishes are Thai style. (I still prefer Cantonese style.) Clean, very busy, food piping hot. Excellent value at £6.50 each, plus drinks. (Think it's about £8.50 in the evening.)

Manchester's Chinatown district has many restaurants. We like http://www.littleyangsing.co.uk/ on George Street. Good choice of vegan-friendly dishes on the "a la carte menu for special vegetarian dishes".

NUNEATON, Warwickshire

On Monday evening we met up with family for a meal at AYCE B's on Saint Davids Way, Bermuda Park, Nuneaton, CV10 7SD. Light, bright restaurant with all dishes on the buffet well-labelled so no nasty surprises. Choice of vegan dishes, including a tofu and vegetable soup! The Spicy Ma Po Tofu and Vegetables was especially nice... spicy, but not so hot that it blew your socks off! Staff very helpful. It was very busy. You can also choose from a selection of raw ingredients and have them stir fried by the chef while you watch. The cost on Monday evening was £11.50 each, plus drinks. Mon-Fri lunch is £5.50 - Sunday £7.95 - reduction for children. Btw, don't forget to have your loyalty card stamped!

Read about AYCE B's here http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/site/co...110&story=9823 ... and there's a link to the menu at the bottom of the page.

(We stayed at the Travelodge on the Hinckley Road - clean room, comfy bed, happy to stay there again.)

BOLTON, Lancashire

The Buffet King on Bradshawgate, Bolton... no frills but it's clean and the staff attentive. Mainly Cantonese style but there's often Indian style dishes as well. No tofu dishes when we've eaten here but there's always been enough choice from the other dishes to fill our plates. Weekday lunchtimes they usually fill 3/4 of the buffet.
    Mon-Sat lunch £4.99 (11.30am - 5.00pm). Mon-Thurs evenings £8.99 (5.00pm - 11.30 pm).
    Fri-Sat evenings £9.99 (5.00pm till late). Sunday £7.99 all day (12.00 noon - 11.00pm).
    Children under 4'6" (1.37m) half price. (All plus cost of drinks.) Also take-out lunch and dinner boxes for £3.50 / £4.50.

Added 12 June 2007 : The Chinese Buffet on Bridge Street, Bolton... clean, modern, staff attentive and helpful. Variety of tofu dishes listed in their brochure/leaflet but none on the buffet when we went at the week-end... asked about this and the chef cooked a tofu dish for us... good place for eating out with omni friends/family.
    Lunch Buffet (12 noon to 5.00 pm) Mon - Sat £5.50
    Grand Buffet (5.00 pm to 10.30 pm) Mon - Thurs £8.99 Fri - Sat £9.99
    Family buffet (12 noon to 10.30pm) All day Sunday £7.99
    Children under 2 years old eat for free
    Children between 2 to 8 years old and under 1.4 m tall eat at half price.
    (On Sundays you can park in the Market Hall car park for £1)
    Last edited by JustMe; Jun 12th, 2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added info about another buffet restaurant

Talking Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

I like the Assembly Rooms Cafe in Glastonbury they do home-made falafel with loads of different toppings and vegan cake.

Plus in Glastonbury there is the most amazing health shop that sells tons of vegan stuff.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

pathologist

I went to Birmingham yesterday and had lunch at the Warehouse cafe in Allison Street Digbeth - it was absolutely fantastic - asparagas with lemon dressing and potato cakes - Most of the dishes were basically vegan with one veggie option. I might even go again to Birmingham just to go there!

Yes the Warehouse is fab about 80% vegan now

There is a deal on there this week 3 courses for Ģ10 for national veggie week but you need a flyer off the counter and to ring and book......

Talking of Manchester, I recently ate at the Greenhouse in Rushholme, a licensed vegetarian and vegan place. There are over 150 dishes to choose from, over 75 of those are vegan...
    The owner is a laid back friendly guy who likes to talk...a lot! We were the only customers that evening and he pretty much talked at us the entire time! Not ideal when you're out for a quiet meal and chat, but it was still a lovely atmosphere. The food was really good, very filling and good value for money. The spring rolls are to die for!

Anyone been to Demuth's in Bath lately? We're supposed to be going there at the weekend (19th wedding anniversary ) and I wondered if anyone had any hot tips about what to order.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but Cafe Pulse in Leigh on sea is fabulous, mostly vegan with veggie options aswell, cake is amazing and you can have with vegan custard/cream/icecream yum! And Wi Kika Moo Cow (I think that's how it's spelt) In brighton were great, huge portions great food mostly vegan.

rx
    Dancing in circles on the kitchen floor

friendly fri

treehouse cafe , great horton road
    bradford
    serving organic fairly traded, largely vegan soups, savouries and the like, to the public, 6 days a week, mon til sat, 10 til 4..check it out !!!
    :D :)

Kevster

Tree House is pretty good, they do an excellent chocolate and walnut cake, get there early!

They also have a kids library and play area downstairs.

BOLTON, Lancashire

The Chinese Buffet on Bridge Street... clean, modern, staff attentive and helpful.

Variety of tofu dishes listed in their brochure/leaflet but none on the buffet when we went at the week-end... asked about this and the chef cooked a tofu dish for us

Good place for eating out with omni friends/family.

Lunch Buffet (12 noon to 5.00 pm) Monday - Saturday £5.50
    Grand Buffet (5.00 pm to 10.30 pm) Monday - Thursday £8.99 : Friday - Saturday £9.99
    Family buffet (12 noon to 10.30pm) All day Sunday £7.99
    Children under 2 years old eat for free
    Children between 2 to 8 years old and under 1.4 m tall eat at half price.
    (On Sundays you can park in the nearby Market Hall car park for £1)

Greyhound

The Indian Edge restaurant in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, is wonderful. They'll cater for a range of 'diets' as well as taking vegetarian and vegan in their stride.

They're very helpful, will explain cooking processes and recipes and it's an all-round wonderful place to eat.

Oh, by the way, the food tastes good too!

Quote RedWellies View Post
    There are two cafes in Hereford that are vegetarian with some vegan options: Nutters, and the cafe at All Saints Church (literally in the church which is cool!).
    Quote RedWellies View Post
    Another couple of places to eat are Nature's Choice in Ross-on-Wye, and St Ann's Well (does vegan cakes) and The Kettle Sings Near Malvern. Oh, and Chesters in Worcester is good for vegans apparently(I've not been yet).
    I shall have to check these out, not far from me! Cheers x

Can anyone recommend somewhere to eat in Chester please?
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

Just back from a week in Dorset, I met up with a friend in Exeter and had a great meal at Herbies - garlic bread/hummus started and vegan chilli for main was too full for pud they had some fab sounding vegan deserts all with a choice of glace/soya custard/cream good portions of tasty vegan food!

I also called in at Plant Deli by the cathederal for lunch - had a selection of salads and a divine slice of vegan choc cake with coffee icing

A very good food day

Talitha - i went to Chester 2 years ago - wonderful city but no veggie/vegan places to eat that i could find - I ended up in Pizza Express or Cafe Uno i think for cheese free pizza - very nice but I was expecting more vegan friendly places to eat - there is a gap in the market there as reckon a veggie/vegan cafe would be popular!

Good sperm

Ooh that's good to know alison, Dorset's a lovely place

Kevster

Woah, just got back from Red and Cumins. And experienced many a restaurant...... including restaurant a la Cumin. A very good and highly recommended restaurant, especially if you want to eat like an omnivore.

First stop was Natures Choice in Ross on Wye, lovely place that, lots of vegan choices, had the lasagne which had a very rich tomato sauce which made the dish, then zesty lemon cheesecake that i thought was really good, i also took some triple chocolate brownie home to eat later, and that was really good, more mousse than cake!

Next was Chesters, and there is no doubt those plates of food are massive! Fortunately the food tastes so good I felt compelled to eat it all. The onion rings were also pretty special, an excellent deep fried treat, if i go again i'll be trying to split dishes with other people. Madam Rude Wellies ordered carrot cake and rhubarb fool for afters, the carrot cake was really good, proper stodge! Just what i needed! And the rhubarb fool was ok i guess, but i wouldn't eat it again.

Today i managed a trip to Warehouse cafe in Birmingham and had the chilli burger with wedges and salad, then the chocolate fudge cake. Both really nice. I'd go there again, and it is so close to New Street station...

Sounds like a real vegan foodie weekend Kev

So glad you got to try Chesters despite the floods! And the Warehouse - another firm fave of mine - the burger and the choc cake are both great!

I like the fact I live half way between Chesters and The Warehouse rather good that

Were the trains running today? - yesterday they shut the station

Kevster

Goodness, no one has been eating out....

I popped into The Bohemian in Sheffield on my way to deliver organic veg to Banana Bobs up Valley road.

They have vegan dishes and wraps, i had an avocado, pesto, and rocket wrap and a piece of vegan cake! All their cakes are vegan, they apologised for not having the chocolate cake.... tsk tsk. The Carrot cake was very good, they get them in from Baby cakes.

http://www.thebohemian.co.uk/

http://www.babycakesdirect.co.uk/

We just spent a week camping in the Isle of Man. There was a veggie cafe in Douglas called Greens (inside the Railway Station), open over lunchtime - they had a good choice, although all the vegan options were gone by the time we got there! Seems all the veggies preferred the look of the vegan dishes, so go early! No vegan deserts available, but the lunch was lovely.
    We also went out to a chinese restaurant in Onchan (just north of Douglas) one evening to celebrate our engagement () - I began by asking if there were dishes without dairy or egg, and the waiter just said, Oh you're vegan, not a problem....removed the prawn crackers and ensured everything we got was fine for us to eat. They were lovely, the restaurant was gorgeous, quite pricey but certainly worth it!!