Thread: Good nice American vegan Bread

IndigoSea

Default Good nice American vegan Bread

I know I can get bread from a bakery here, and it can be nice (albiet pricey). But in England I like to eat Hovis and Kingsmill, and other such off-the-shelf wonders. However, in America all the off-the-shelf bread is absolutly disgusting. It's like the bread companies have tried their hardest to cover up the fact that it's made out of something healthy. It's absolutly LOADED with preservatives, things I can't pronounce, and (worst of all) High fructose corn syrup! bread doesn't NEED to be sweet!

So my question is, are there any nice american bread brands that aren't made out of 50,000 ingredients? Perhaps an American who has been to Britain and tried Hovis or an english person who has found nice bread in America?

Or anyone really who has found any really good bread in America?

Default Re: Good nice American vegan Bread

I'm in Canada and the same thing, really.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

IndigoSea

Do they have nice bread in canada?

Well, Canada is really large....but where I live, I don't think it's nice bread. But I never had anything to compare it to. I mostly eat sprouted grain bread, gluten free bread, or pita bread.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Seaside

I love my local sourdough, and there are breads available from the Santa Cruz, Alfaro's, Grace, Semifreddi's, and one more bakery whose name I can't remember (they make sprouted grain breads), but those may not be available in Tennessee. Can you find Rudy's anywhere? I love Rudy's rye bread, and Country Morning White is good too. Lots of Rudy's breads are vegan, but watch out for some which contain honey.

IndigoSea

It would be fine if all I wanted was wholemeal, but I need white I LOVE wholemeal, but I have to be on a diet high in soluble fibre and low on insoluble fibre (white being soluble) so I really need white bread. I'll try looking for rudy's! I haven't heard of it or seen it in the supermarket, but I'll look in some of the natural supermarkets for it. Thanks

Seaside

I spelled it wrong. Its http://www.rudisbakery.com/home

IndigoSea

yay! looks like I can get it from food Lion and a local co-op! ^^ thanks, I'll give it a try!

I am in canada and there are a LOT of breads that are full of chemicals and other unnecessary crap. There are a couple of health food stores around with good bread, with only real ingredients... it can be pricey though. It's over $4 for one smallish loaf of bread. The best and cheapest bread is the stuff I make myself in the breadmaker. It's not expensive and I know exactly what the ingredients are. I can also set the breadmaker in the evening and wake up to the smell and taste of fresh bread in the morning...it's wonderful!

Get a bread machine! Where ever I may move to in the world it's coming with me
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

If you go to a bakery, most French and Italian bread has nothing in it except water, flour, and yeast.