Thread: Help! Newbie, irritable

FlyinBuddha

Default Help! Newbie, irritable

Hello, I've been eating vegan now for about a month and a half. Lately I've been having a hard time with my mood - blowing up or just plain irritable. I'm worried that I'm not getting what I need in my diet. On the plus side I've lost 6 pounds and my blood pressure has gone down.
    How should I be getting my protein? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?
    Thanks for any answers in advance
    Matt

luvanimals

Default Re: Help!- Newbie, irritable

I am a new vegan and I have found that I am more emotional. Not angry, but I cry more. Maybe try and focus more on what an exceptional life change you are making, and what a difference you are having on this world. Focus on feeling good about yourself for your decision. Do you find yourself irritable as you near meals or are around food? If food was some sort of comfort item to you previously the loss of that comfort (or as your mind may see it) would surely make you grouchy.

Are you getting enough calories?

Low calories = more irritability.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Any major change in diet is going to shock your system for a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just exercise and rest enough, and check that you're getting everything in your diet regularly. It's easy when you've been going a while, but at first it's going to be weird for your body readjusting to getting nutrients from different foods.

And I also agree with the dude who said to make sure you're getting enough calories. Another easy trap to fall into is if, for example, you used to eat cheese on toast every day when you got in from work/school, and then you turned vegan. You don't like vegan cheese, so you just skip the snack. You see?

So just make sure you're eating the right things, and the right amount of them. It will improve!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Low calories = more irritability.
    Definitely. When I was a a couple of stones lighter than I am now, not eating enough and getting more exercise than I did before I was a lot more snappy with people.