Thread: Paris, Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam?

Default Paris, Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam?

I'm headed to Paris, Bruges, Brussels and Amsterdam in December. This will be my first trip to Europe since becoming vegan. Can anyone here recommend some good places to eat at? I've seen the listings on vegdining.com and happycow.net but would like to get some personal recommendations/reviews. Thanks!

Default Re: Paris, Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam?

The falafel stalls/shops are good in Amsterdam, i found a fine vegan place in Bruge whilst vegetarian many years ago, will try to find the details......

I'd recomend the Green Planet vegetarian restaurant in Amsterdam. They have some vegan dishes and will veganise others on request.
    http://www.greenplanet.nl/index2.htm

There's also the Himalaya cafe and new age shop. Not too many vegan options but they will veganise some dishes on request.
    http://www.channels.nl/amsterdam/himalaya.html

I found quite a few bars in the Netherlands have a vegetarian option on their menu and were very happy to veganise veggie dishes.

Smile Re: Paris, Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam?

Hi Pete,
    Today I received the first copy of the new vegetarian/vegan magazine here in France. There is a recommendation on a macrobiotique, vegetarian/vegan restaurant called "Le Grenier de Notre Dame" 18 rue de La Bûcherie, 75000 Paris. (phone: 01 43 29 98 29). It has been going since 1978. It looks like a good place to go if you are going to be sight-seeing in Paris, just next to the Notre Dame. They say that the menu is partially vegan.

Bon Voyage
    Rosalind

Same here - I will be in Paris dec.6 - either the 16th or 22nd it looks like and I have no idea what I'm going to eat in France. french bread and wine? thats about all I can come up with ha
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Thanks for all the tips so far. Keep 'em coming! At least I know I won't go hungry. I'll be in Paris with my omni partner and might end up at an omni restaurant or two. Are there any good omni restaurants in Paris that will cater to a vegan also? Perhaps a place open-minded enough to modify one of their regular menu items for me?

Hi,

in a French omni restaurant finding vegan food is quite hard, you'll probably have to settle for just a salad, a plate of fries or plain pasta. French cuisine uses a lot of cream for cooking vegetables.

The "Grenier Notre Dame" is a nice place, the location is great, just next to Notre Dame. I went there last night, the food is quite nice, however just like most French vegetarian restaurants there are not that many vegan dishes. Many of the dishes have cheese in them (the pizza, the lasagna, the gratin to name a few...). On the plus side, the waiters are very friendly and they also speak English so you will not have any problem informing them you are vegan. It costs about 20 US$ for a meal (starters, main course, desert and coffee).

Maoz falafels (rue xavier privas) is also a great place for vegans and not too far away from the "Grenier Notre Dame" and cheap too !

Feel free to ask more questions
    Lionel

Thanks for the information, Lionel. Have you been to any other vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Paris that you can recommend?

Hi Pete,

your name sounds Chinese, from Singapore or Malaysia I would say, if so (or even if not so) there is a vegetarian Chinese restaurant called "Green Garden" (rue Nationale in the 13th arrondissement) the food is very good and there will be a small "v" next to the vegan dishes on the menu.

Another decent restaurant is "La victoire du supreme coeur" the food is good but the ambiance is quite peculiar with lots of pictures of a guru of some sort.

There is one restaurant you should avoid : "Aquarius" hardly no vegan dishes.

Hope this helps
    Lionel

Lionel, you're right. I'm Chinese, born and raised in Malaysia. I currently live in the United States. How did you guess?

Thanks again for the information.

My mum is Malaysian Chinese, I was born in KL stayed there a couple of years and the moved to Singapore for 10 years and now I live in Paris. That's how I guessed...

Hi Pete,

in A'dam Golden Temple, (near rembrantplein), is very good. It's veggie and very vegan friendly. Grenn Planet is OK too, it's not so far from Central station but pricey and limited menu. There are lot's of Moaz falaffel places - very handy.

have a great trip.

Tony

Quote yorbo View Post
    My mum is Malaysian Chinese, I was born in KL stayed there a couple of years and the moved to Singapore for 10 years and now I live in Paris. That's how I guessed...
    Very cool. I've been to Paris once for work and never got to do any sightseeing. I'm looking forward to my trip.

Quote TonyF View Post
    Hi Pete,

in A'dam Golden Temple, (near rembrantplein), is very good. It's veggie and very vegan friendly. Grenn Planet is OK too, it's not so far from Central station but pricey and limited menu. There are lot's of Moaz falaffel places - very handy.

have a great trip.

Tony
    Thanks, Tony.