Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Spirits, Booze, Liqueurs...

Default Re: The make your own vegan booze challenge!!

Risker... nice one , but it's not quite there yet. It has to completely clear to the top as you've got yeast still at the top. (could you email me that pic please to mitchell AT ivy HYPHEN group DOT co DOT uk so I can see it better?)

Give it another couple of days.

Yes, bottles should be sterilised (as per my 'bin' method earlier). and the sugar is spot on. Not too much as it will go everywhere when you open it!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

p.s. take that top off your airlock

Wooops! I bottled it already!

Oh well, it tastes ok, it does have some sediment at the bottom though. I drank some last night and I'm still alive today so it can't be that bad.

Here's the full size image

I'm about to start my second batch doing 3 demijohns at once so hopefully I'll have learned from my mistakes with this one.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

did you filter it? (see no. 9 at the top) - shouldn't get any sediment as ... you'll know about it!

Ah... you posted that five days ago. whoops!!

I forgot about the filtering bit

I tried to do it last night with the already bottled cider but it was taking so long to go through the coffee filter paper that I gave up. I'll just not drink the bottom of it.

thought so

But anyway, well done!!! I've still got two demijohns of wine to bottle (Nettle and Peapod), but I've been putting it off due to our house being in chaos

sugarmouse

Default Re: Currently addicted to ...

I am addicted to
    Chopping a corguette/zucchini into round peices
    Putting in an oven proof dish
    Squirt with oil spray
    Season wiv salt and pepper
    Pour over a load of salsa
    Cook int oven.

my new PMT food!

coconut cream pie larabars...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Satay Rice Noodles w/ veg at the mo and satay/peanut sauce in general!

Oh and seeing as this is mostly a thread about alcoholic drinks I want to recreate the Pink Flamingos I had at my b'day dinner. All I remember from the menu was Southern Comfort and Peach schnapps, there are lots of recipes online, all v.different. They were delish!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Raspberry Ruffle bars
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Raspberry Ruffle bars
    wow, you can get them in a bar?! I've only had the wrapped chocs before now!

Yep, they're ridiculously cheap too, 29p or thereabouts!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Right now I'm addicted to my new Teavana tea.
    Man, I am so addicted to Teavana tea! I have earl grey creme, formosa nut oolong, coconut aloha, and regular oolong. Which ones have you tried?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote tipsy View Post
    coconut cream pie larabars...
    ooohh...I have not seen these yet!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    wow, you can get them in a bar?! I've only had the wrapped chocs before now!
    yup, i got packs of 5 bars in the 99p shop (thanks to a tip-off from BlackCats!). Wilkinsons sell them too.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

fricking awesome!

wasabe peas. they rock.

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Man, I am so addicted to Teavana tea! I have earl grey creme, formosa nut oolong, coconut aloha, and regular oolong. Which ones have you tried?
    I got a mixture of the high-caffeine green tea and something with pomegranate. Its been a while since I've had it, so I cant remember the specific names. I wish I still lived near the store!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Grape nuts. OMGZ.
    vegan and proud.

Peanut butter *swoon*. Best eaten straight from the jar

Quote fiamma View Post
    Peanut butter *swoon*. Best eaten straight from the jar
    I've actually gotten to the point where i CANNOT buy peanut butter, as it seriously will not last through a day

I can so sympathise with you there Ben... all those worries about the fat content just seem to melt away when the jar is open and spoon is in hand... Could blame the dog of course

Veg SUSHI!
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Prickly pears, mmmmmmmm (not so addicted to the little spines they leave in my fingers )

Default Re: Infused Spirits / Homemade Liqueurs

I'm currently addicted to limoncello and nocino (walnut liqueur).

I think the first is dead easy to make; I participated in the making of the latter a few years ago but you need unripe walnuts (don't quote me on that) and forty days or so of sunshine...

I could probably post a limoncello recipe if anyone's interested...

go for it, though luxardo limoncello here isn't much more expensive than vodka

Oh alright, be like that then...

There's actually a type of limoncello "cream" that you get here - just like linoncello only made with milk... what about replacing it with some kind of veggie milk?

Do you get that over there?

no, post a recipe please

By the time I get back from my vacation, it will be time to remove the cherries from my vodka I'll then strain the vodka into a different bottle and allow it to "age" until Christmas.

Default Cream of limoncello

Ok, so here goes - the translation of a recipe I found on the Net.
    DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS RECIPE AND SO CANNOT VOUCH FOR IT!
    It also uses cow's milk - I don't know how well it will work with veggie milks. It uses full cream milk, so perhaps use the creamiest variety of veggie milk you can find, or one with a fairly neutral flavour so as not to interfere with the lemon taste. But all that boiling and cooling should thicken the milk, I think that's the point. Some recipes also use cream.

So! Here goes..

Ingredients:

8-10 ripe lemons
    1 litre pure alcohol/vodka
    2kg sugar
    2 litres "milk"

Preparation time: 1 week

Take 8-10 ripe lemons (the recipe says untreated - I guess organic is best) and remove the skin with a potato peeler, taking care not to peel off the pith with the skin (would give a bitter taste). Some recipes say cut into fine strips. Immerse in 1 litre of pure alcohol (never seen this in the UK, I guess vodka is the next best thing). Leave to steep in a glass container in a cool dark place for five days, stirring every so often.

On day five, dissolve 2kg of sugar in 2 litres of "milk" and bring to the boil. Allow to cool and repeat this boiling-cooling procedure 3 times. Leave to rest for 12 hours. Stir the alcohol mixture again, drain to remove the lemon skin and add to the milk. Mix well, bottle and put into the freezer.

Ready to drink after 2 days.

Buona degustazione a tutti!

There are other recipes - some use more lemons, some leave the lemons in the alcohol for longer, some add vanilla pods to the milk when boiling it, or a bit of grappa or brandy to the alcohol - all variations on a theme. I plan to make this tomorrow - will let you all know how it goes!!

Default Re: Vegan Egg Nog

Do you think drinking the soya nog would be easier for someone who's never had any sort of egg nog at all?
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

exec

Nuts, seeds, and chocolates. I think I'm going broke...

Default Re: Vegan Egg Nog

I would think so, I've had people tell me that they don't like the thick texture of egg-based 'nog' and that Silk Nog or soy-based nog is easier to stomach.

Speaking of which, Silk Nog season is coming... =) ohh happy day!!!

I'm going to make the cream of limoncello I mentioned on the liqueurs thread as soon as I can get me to a supermarket for the ingredients... Will let you all know how it turns out...

Default Cream of limoncello

Well, I finally got around to making this and it's pretty tasty - sitting in my freezer as we speak! I used the Bjorn brand of vanilla soya milk so didn't bother with the vanilla pod, and used 400g of fructose instead of 1kg of sugar - my bf is diabetic so I wanted him to be able to drink it too. I also used less alcohol - 300ml of alcohol instead of 500 (buying the alcohol was more expensive than I anticipated so I wanted to make it stretch a bit further). After all the boiling and cooling the milk mixture went rather a strange coffee colour, which I'm at a bit of a loss to explain, and when I poured the alcohol into the soya milk mixture it curdled initially, but after a thorough mixing it became smooth. I'm not sure why the recipe says wait 2 days to drink - I just waited till it had chilled sufficiently

Highly recommended

The Christmas vodka sounds amazing. I think I'll order an infusing jar online and get the ingredients this week. Can't wait to taste it! Mmmmmm...
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I'm doing well with this now, thanks for getting me into it Corum, I picked up some more demijohns from freecycle and I even got given a bottle corker, some shrink wrap things for the tops of wine bottles and some other bits and peices.

I tried filtering through a coffee filter again and it's just so unbearably slow that I've given up on that idea (maybe morrisons coffee filter paper is too dense?).

The latest thing I'm trying is reusing the yeast after I'm done syphoning, so I just top up the dregs with more apple juice, saving having to clean and resterilise everything and saving adding new yeast, it seems to be working ok so far. I'm also going to try bread yeast because it's alot cheaper and easier to obtain. At some point I also want to try other fruit juices and see what happens with just water and sugar.

I've been using bread yeast for a long time as like you say, you can get it from the supermarket. OK, you might lose about 3-4% Alcohol by Volume, but it's not a great deal and it still does the job it's intended for!

Sadly, I've not been able to go picking fruit this year due to chaos in the house, so... it's time to make more turbo cider (I have got two demijohns to bottle, but seeing as we've got nothing bigger than a cloakroom sink at home for the next two weeks in which to steralise bottles, they can wait a while longer).

We got a new sink with our kitchen...

and it is BIG!!!!!

It is so big (it's the DOMSJÖ double sink from Ikea), I can now sterilise half a dozen wine bottles/wash a demijohn out in one sink bowl, while placing the other demijohn on the windowsill above and run a syphon tube to the other bottles I'm filling in the right-hand sink!! Also, there's no mess and I have space to store the bottles I've just filled on the worktop next to the sink (as my wines are temperamental to say the least! )

So... I can now bottle a gallon of wine in less than an hour - quicker if I have two funnels (with coffee filter papers to filter out the must) and a five litre water bottle, which I use for first filtration (so the wine goes from the demijohn into the water bottle, and from there into the bottles).

This is the first time that I got more than five bottles out of a single demijohn!!

That's nettle done over the weekend, next is a gallon of Parsnip!!

We tried the Sage, which I made at the start of this year; It was lovely but needs a little bit more time to mature!!!

It's getting there!!!!

Buddha Belly

I have quite a few bottles of home made cider in the garage, i'm waiting for xmas. I have also bottled some wine but am doubtfull if this is going to taste nice.

Why not?

I've just bottled two batches of wine that I made back in the spring - Parsnip, and Nettle. Both of which in their raw state tasted fine.

Not currently a vegan

Default Stewarts Cream of the Barley Whiskey ok??

hi,

on the off chance does anyone know if stewarts 'cream of the barely' whiskey is vegan ok?

cheers.

Default Favourite cocktail/tipple?

I've recently gotten back off the wagon (I was teetotal for several months) and was just wondering what cocktails/concoctions/undiluted alcoholic beverages tickle your fancies?

Before I went vegan I was quite fond of campari/orange, but my vegan epiphany put paid to that!

On New Year's - my first alcoholic beverages since April - I went for a gin/lime/soda and a gimlet.

NB: I realise I post far too often on this forum, but my boyfriend's watching Predator right now and I need an escape!

Default Re: Favourite cocktail/tipple?

By far the nicest (vegan certified by the producer) spirit I've found is Remy XO.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

£100 a bottle!

I got mine for £68 duty free.

70cl bottle: ~£1 per 10ml.

A shot is 25ml, so £2.50 per shot.

If you sip a shot's worth over 20 minutes like I do then that's equivalent in my reasoning to drinking a pint of similarly priced beer in a pub. Without wanting to sound antisocial I'd rather stay at home and drink nice stuff

Remy VSOP is OK (often on offer at ~£20 a bottle in supermarkets) and I use it for cocktails, but when drinking neat there's a noticable difference in XO. It's smooth with all the pleasantness of cognac, without any of the after/harsh alcohol taste.

Not currently a vegan

Default Re: Stewarts Cream of the Barley Whiskey ok??

just in case anyone is interested, received letter from the distillers stating COB is vegan friendly.

Default Re: Stewarts Cream of the Barley Whiskey ok??

Quote zeggo View Post
    just in case anyone is interested, received letter from the distillers stating COB is vegan friendly.
    If it's an email can you paste it here, along with the question that you asked please?

Buddha Belly

These are currently in my kitchen, going to rack them tomorrow. I am working to a recipe from a very informative book i found, Real Cider making: on a small scale. It gives one as adding sugar from the start and says use mollases or brown sugar for a change of flavour. To this end i have done a mixture of them all. Each is a 2ltr Westons bottle and they will get divided into 2 x 1 ltr bottle with the first being made into 'flat' cider and 1 into sparkling cider. Then i shall be forced to taste test.

The ones i had ready for xmas were brilliant. Very strong and very tasty.

Buddha Belly

Took the pictorial step by step cider making process off as a breach of copyright. I will e-mail Korn to ask. PM me to find out more.
    Last edited by Buddha Belly; Jan 25th, 2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Breach of copyright????