Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Spirits, Booze, Liqueurs...

Default Re: Infused Spirits / Homemade Liqueurs

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    It won't go off (provided that whatever fruit you're using is submerged). Some people leave sloes in gin for years.

I just tasted a bit of mine from last year (possibly the year before, can't remember) and it still tastes good

Make it now if you fancy and can get hold of some cranberries.
    I will do, it sounds amazing. thanks for the info

Quote Kate1978 View Post
    That sounds awesome. The perfect replacement for Baileys!
    Alas the search for vegan baileys continues.

The recipe for baileys doesn't seem to be in the public domain. Officially it's approximately 50% cream with Irish whisky, cocoa extracts and some kind of vegetable based anti coagulant. The manufacturer states that it doesn't contain eggs (unlike some of the recipes online) and there's no reference to coffee being in it.

I've tried various times to recreate baileys, but haven't quite gotten there. Having been 10 years or more since I've had baileys I'm also in danger of making something which actually doesn't taste like it at all.

There are some truely shocking recipes for baileys on tinterweb. I made one containing coconut milk a few years ago (really I should have known better than to even try), which was as you can imagine totally gross. There are loads using condensed milk and eggs around, despite neither of these ingredients being in the actual thing.

I think it will probably depend quite a lot on the type of whisky used. The various ones I've tried are all scotch, which I know to be wrong to start with. Alpro fresh cream is the best bet, but 50% is too creamy using it, so I'd guess 40% would be better.

The chocolate vodka I've made will certainly be good in creamy cocktails, but probably more to give chocolaty alcoholic kick rather than produce a nice drink on its own. I've been shaking it twice daily since I made it - it's now gone in the rack to infuse for a while.

I should really start using the cherry vodka I made last July.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Alas the search for vegan baileys continues.
    it doesn´t and i think i posted it somewhere before - i have been successful with a vegan version of baileys:
    http://ankescocktails.blogspot.com/2...61f67fdfe36c0b
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Baileys is predominantly (according to their website) irish whisky & cream (~50%), with cocoa, sugar, vanilla and caramel. Whilst a lot of people pair it with coffee flavour it is not itself a coffee liqueur.

Kahlua is coffee liqueur made from (according to ther Pernod Ricard website who own the brand) rum, coffee and vanilla.

I'm in no way saying that the drink you've created isn't creamy, doesn't taste great and I wouldn't be happy to consume a vast quantity of it. Rum+vodka+coffee aren't in my mind a good subsititute for whisky+cocoa however.

I like kahlua a lot - its good stuff.

Buddha Belly

Default Re: The make your own vegan booze challenge!!

My next load of ciders have gone on. Made a perry earlier this week with some pears bought cheap in Morrisons and have just made 10ltrs of pear cider. It is currently in a big bottle in the bath. This is in case it explodes on the carpet like a previous beer attempt that Helen does not let me forget about. They shall be moved to the garage tomorrow am.

Well done BB for keeping this thread going

I've not been on here for a while.

I've got a beer kit to make this weekend, plus I've got 17 gallons of Elderflower wine to rack off (they've been fermenting for three months now). I've not made anymore cider as there's been so much stuff to do.

In the freezer, we've got early sloes, plums and elderberries - just waiting for more demijohns (and I'd best wash the buckets out) And now we know our cellar's no longer flooded, we have storage space again in which to store the demijohns, instead of our understairs cupboard.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Buddha Belly

Thanks Corum.

I collected about 50 apples on the way home tonight and will do the same for the next few days too.
    There are lots of elderberries within 100m's of me which I will be harvesting before they go off to make into a wine.

Are there any UK fruits/berries that resemble Sloe's? I think there are quite a few blackthorne bushes near me too so I may make sloe gin.
    Does anyone know if sloe vodka any good

I've made sloe brandy before with sloes that were taken out of gin after 6 months, that was ok. As gin is essentially vodka distilled with various herbs (the main one being juniper) I'd expect sloe vodka to be similar to sloe gin, but lacking some of the flavours.

You're traditionally meant to wait until the first frost before picking sloes.

Hey Buddah did you get round to making any wine No.1?
    Here are my two latest ones

Also making Blackberry and Elderberry wine..
    not the best photo but here are the berries
    with nutrient and yeast added waiting to be strained off onto sugar

Looking good

Someone came and 'weeded' the blackberry bushes that I was going to be harvesting blackberries from

Buddha Belly

I have just started a grand experiment.
    I am trying to ferment a bottle of dandelion and burdock.

Buddha Belly

My next attempt will be Cream Soda

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I use a balloon with a hole pierced in it for an airlock on some of my bottles where the bung airlocks don't fit. ...
    That's a good idea to use balloons... I wouldn't have thought it needed a hole pierced in it though, my 'Winemaking the Natural Way' says to use a sheet cut from a plastic bag secured with two rubber bands (in case one breaks) - apparently the rubber expands enough to let the gas out, without letting the little flies in!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Buddha Belly

I can't see how the plastic bag would be any better. The amount of gas given out would cause it to tear at some point. I did not put a hole in once and in less than a day I had an almost full balloon. The balloon method is definitely best for me, I have lots of airlocks now but still sometimes choose to use balloons as I can see at what level the fermentation is at. I do sterilise them after too.

My pear cider is almost ready for racking off. I will try to do it this weekend if I can.

.... The amount of gas given out would cause it to tear at some point....
    No, it doesn't, I've tried it. The rubber bands enable the gas to seep out. I guess it doesn't work like that with a balloon though because there's more give in the thinner bit above than the neck, so it'd expand, well, like a balloon!

I am older and wiser than when I posted before
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Buddha Belly

I'll give a blast on my next one then. I have quite a few pounds of appleas and pears in the garage to press sometime soon.

Buddha Belly

Just tried the dandelion and burrdock mix. I have added a bit more sugar and racked off the bottle. I think it has great potential as it already tastes ok with a little fizz. I think I have discovered a way to save adding 70p worth of vodka by using 15p worth of ingriedoents and an hours work. I could make a profit if it was not for minimum wage and silly out of date child labour laws.

Party at BB's place
    Silent but deadly :p

Right... time to get me'sen organised. I've not even started that beer kit that I bought ages ago so tonight, I am going to go for it, and also start to rack off the Elderflower (as it was only started in July).

Here goes!!

Beer's on... 40 pints, ready by Yule!! Just got to make sure I've got 40 1pt beer bottles - either that or I start using the ones for the wine.

Or, we all pop over with our bottles and you fill them up for us?

Worth a try I thought.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Risker View Post
    I have about 5 gallons of cider that has been sitting waiting to be bottled for a couple of months now, I just haven't had the time (or inclination). I hope leaving it too long won't ruin it (I had to top up one of the airlocks the other day as it had run dry, woops!)
    I bottled this last week and we tried it last night. It had no fizz and tasted like nail varnish remover. I don't mean it tasted strong, I mean it really tasted of nail varnish remover.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Or, we all pop over with our bottles and you fill them up for us?

Worth a try I thought.
    You never know... You wouldn't be able to drink it for a couple of weeks though.

Buddha Belly

Picked about 5kgs of Baldock's finest grapes yesterday. I will attempt to mould into a drinkable form of alcohol.

If I remember I will buy a bottle of Cherryade tomorrow to make into alcohol, after the success of the alcoholic Dandelion and Burrdock I need to experiment more.

When I die I would like to be remembered as the Heston Bluemental of alcohol. Of failing that, a fat piss head who died after a limeade experiment went wrong.

Are there any UK fruits/berries that resemble Sloe's? I think there are quite a few blackthorne bushes near me too so I may make sloe gin.
    Does anyone know if sloe vodka any good
    Sloe Vodka is very good! In fact, I've stuck a recipe on my facebook page! I've got four jars going at the mo' - just ran out of money to buy more vodka - so what's left in the freezer might get used for wine-making!

I've been working on this again today. I've not had baileys in over 10 years and my taster hasn't had any for 3, but I've come up with something worth posting.

Baileys is predominantly (according to their website) irish whisky & cream (~50%), with cocoa, sugar, vanilla and caramel.
    Working within this remit I've been using varying quantities of alpro fresh soya cream (it's the closest to single cream I've ever found), Jamesons Irish Whisky (noticably smoother/less smoky/peaty than scotch whisky), sugar syrup (standard cocktail sugar syrup - always have some in the fridge for mojitos), chocolate syrup and bourbon vanilla.

I started using sugar syrup when I found that adding enough chocolate syrup to get the sweetness and smoothness the drink was nice but too chocolatey.

An email to Jamesons over 2 years ago indicated that isinglass is used in production. 4 emails since this time have all said it doesn't (link). Baileys uses (according to wikipedia, which I believe as it's made by a dairy producer) alcohol fermented from whey, which makes it quite unlike (most?) other whiskies in the market. They also use 44% alcohol rather than 40%, which means they can add more cream whilst retaining a finished alcohol content of 17%. I reckon my version is more like 12%.

The best quantities I've come up with so far are:

1 shot Jamesons
    1/3 shot chocolate syrup
    2/3 shot simple sugar syrup
    2 drops bourbon vanilla
    1.5-2 shots alpro cream

I started with 1 shot cream, but it's too alcoholy tasting without more.

The colour and texture are good and the taste pleasing. I probably need to borrow someone who has tasted baileys recently to taste whilst varying the quantities to get something more accurate, but this combination does seem to work quite well.

Something that should probably be considered is making a sugar syrup up with some cocoa and vanilla in, so it can be made more easily. I experimented with 1883 irish cream syrup, but i don't think it works at all well.
    Last edited by Mr Flibble; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

I'd love to have a go at making that Mr Flibble as I used to love Baileys. I know where to get the whiskey and alpro cream but where can I buy the other ingredients?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

The chocolate syrup is Tesco Value squeezy chocolate dessert sauce, which is on the latest Tesco vegan list.

The sugar syrup is standard "simple syrup", that is made using 1 part water, 2 parts sugar. Heat them up together until all the sugar is dissolved, then chill and keep in a bottle in the fridge.

That was Mr.F by the way, he just happened to be using my computer as it was the nearest!!

Marvelous - one of the best cocktails I've had in a while. Not stunning to look at, but is Christmas inspired and tastes awesome.

2 shots of Flibbles (see above), scoop of icecream, 1/2 tsp ground cinamon, blended:

Quote Bluemew View Post
    That was Mr.F by the way, he just happened to be using my computer as it was the nearest!!
    Thank you Mr Flibble and Bluemew!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Beer's bottled - at last! got 32 pints out of that kit!

Should be ready to drink in two weeks!

Marvelous - one of the best cocktails I've had in a while. Not stunning to look at, but is Christmas inspired and tastes awesome.

2 shots of Flibbles (see above), scoop of icecream, 1/2 tsp ground cinamon, blended
    sounds delicious
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hokay, maybe it's a week early... however, the beer is lovely!! It's actually nice and clear!!

I'm getting my parents to taste test the 19 litres of turbo cider I brewed so I can give some of it away tonight, they've tasted 7 so far, the last one was another nail varnish remover though. I think because the airlock ran out of water, anyway, it tasted and smelled so strong (not of alcohol) that we put it in a bucket with a rusty tap to see if it would take the rust off.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Latest perversion - Cucumber Gin:

Sliced cucumber infused in gin for 2 days to 2 weeks.

More here: http://lustrousmusings.blogspot.com/...umber-gin.html

When I die I would like to be remembered as the Heston Bluemental of alcohol. Of failing that, a fat piss head who died after a limeade experiment went wrong.
    Hehehe! This is my new favourite quote!

14 out of 16 demijohns of Elderflower wine now racked off! Two more to go... it'll be drinkable by May. Best get started on the Elderberry so it's ready for autumn.