Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirits, Booze, Liqueurs...

Default Re: Currently addicted to ...

Really? Where?

I tried major supermarkets and health food shops (lots of them!)

In the end I asked my friend to get some from an independent hfs near her ... and they almost never have it in.

(I may take you up on your offer when this lot is gone! Send you some home made chocolates in return! I make a mean ginger cream thingy.)

JC

can't say i've ever tried them - what's in them?
    have to admit though, i love Sex On The Beach - it's the BEST drink ever!!!

Never had one - what's your recipe for bloody mary?

Quote VeganDaze View Post
    Never had one - what's your recipe for bloody mary?
    A double shot of vodka (you can use Tequila to make a Bloody Maria)
    A BIG dash of Tabasco
    A dash of Worcestershire sauce (essential!)
    A bit of creamed horseradish (I didn't have any so I used wasabi, same thing)
    150ml tomato juice
    celery salt
    pepper

Give it all a bit stir and serve with a stick of celery, including leaves.

I only enjoy two, it all gets a bit too tomatoey juicey for me after that.

It's a really nice drink to have before a meal. Only get one at a bar though if you know they'll make it properly. If they miss all the spices out it's vile .

Sorry, absolutely hate it - projectile vomiting
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Aradia View Post
    Really? Where?

(I may take you up on your offer when this lot is gone! Send you some home made chocolates in return! I make a mean ginger cream thingy.)
    mmmm ginger - sounds a good deal!

my local asda used to stock it, and my health shop definitely does!

you got to put some lemon juice in a bloody mary! also, only rock the boston glass, don't shake it...bruises the tomato juice...tastes (imo) nasty as.

we used to make them at work with as dash of port into the mix and then a wee bit of sherry in the top after it was put in the glass, but that, particularly the port, seemed to be down to personal taste.

sex on the beach is nice, but i must admit i'm partial to a wellmade manhattan

amanda

Mahk

Quote Aradia View Post
    A dash of Worcestershire sauce (essential!)
    What brand?

oops ... forgot the lemon juice .... juice of half a lemon in each.

How is a manhattan made?

Quote Mahk View Post
    What brand?
    Whatever veggie brand you can get your mitts on. It's not very common.

Mahk

Mahk

Quote Aradia View Post
    Whatever veggie brand you can get your mitts on. It's not very common.
    So not common I don't think I've ever seen any here. That's why I was asking what brand you are using so I could email the distributer to see where I could get it here.

although, i like mine 'perfect' (equal parts sweet to dry vermouth).

i use:

60ml rye whiskey (something like canadian club will do)
    12.5 sweet vermouth
    12.5 dry
    a dash or two of bitters. sometimes i use orange, rather than angostura. someone once told me that angostura bitters aren't veggie, but i can't find any confirmation? the label just says 'natural flavours'.

anyway, pour into a boston glass over ice. stir until the ice melts into the whiskey to mellow it.
    garnish with a maraschino cherry.

amanda

What is sweet vermouth? Is there a well known brand name flyingP?

Mank - dunno the brand name... my friend brought it from the UK and because of security procedures had to decant it into a less than 100ml bottle... so I don't have the original. But I've just googled it and this is what I found

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/pro...e-sauce-142ml/
    This is what Asda (major UK supermarket chain) stock and I suspect it's what my friend brought me. Do a google search for your country. Happy hunting, it's worth it!

MH Foods do one in their "Life free from" range - http://www.mhfoods.net/sl.html

I love Bloody Marys, especially when I'm hungry and I know the food's going to take ages to arrive.

I have loads of tiny little plastic fish-shaped bottles from when I used to buy sushi (pre-veg days). I fill them with worcester sauce and take it with me to the pub for BMs.

Mahk

Thanks for all the brands suggestions everyone but I fear the options will be more limited for my side of the pond. I'll check next time I go shopping.

Quote Aradia View Post
    What is sweet vermouth? Is there a well known brand name flyingP?

martini rosso is probably the commonest. noilly prat do one as well i believe.

amanda

Quote Mahk View Post
    So not common I don't think I've ever seen any here. That's why I was asking what brand you are using so I could email the distributer to see where I could get it here.
    As well as the Geo and Life Free From Worcestershire Sauces, there is also a Biona brand one. Though it has a lot of sediment, which may be because it has a much longer list of ingredients (herbs and spices, no additives)

If you want to contact them to see if they have a US distributor then in addition to the MH Foods address above, the others are:

Biona - http://www.windmillorganics.com/
    Geo Organics - http://www.venturefoods.co.uk/

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Mahk

Thanks but I just found one but haven't tried it yet:

I wish I knew what it "should" taste like but I don't so I'll have to take it on faith that it is adequate.

On a side note: Will one of you Brits please explain to me, an ignorant American, the proper usage of the word "bloody" as a curse word? In the US it never is but I'm aware it is different in the UK. Please explain for instance can it be uttered on television? radio? by a school aged youngster in class without punishment? I have no sense for how offensive it is since we don't use it as a curse word here in the States ever. Thanks.

Stu

It's a pretty everyday word. You could use it on daytime TV, I'm sure. However, a small child would probably get pulled up for using it in class, but I doubt they would be severely reprimanded. It's dying out a bit actually; mostly older people say it, I reckon. I more harsh version of 'bloody' is 'bleeding.' I like saying 'bleeding.' "Sure your bleeding mouth!" "He bleeding well fouled him!" etc. Although you could probably get away with that on daytime telly as well.

Bloody is about the equivalent of "blasted" or possibly "damned" in North American parlance.

I wouldn't be remotely offended or surprised if it was used in any circumstances (except by a small child, and then it would be quite funny!). I don't swear much myself, but I wouldn't be embarassed if "bloddy" slipped out.

If somebody said it on the radio or television it wouldn't be much of a shock.

Posh people often use it a lot ... I wouln't agree that it's mostly used by older people though.

Do you know "Father Ted"? The Irish use "feckin" in about the same way the English use "bloody". Just a word, not really a swear word.

Mahk

Thanks Stu and Aradia for the , er, English lesson. I had thought "bloody" was much more vulgar than I guess it really is. Maybe in past generations it was less acceptable and my info was out dated.

"Father Ted" never aired in the US, as far as I know, at least I know I never saw it. We say frickin' on television or as Stewie Griffin says F-in'. The funny thing is there is now a new premium vodka called effen:

They claim it is from the Dutch word for "smooth" but part of me thinks it's also an inside joke for people who watch Family Guy, which I'm pretty sure you get in the UK, not sure about France.

Speaking of Stewie Griffin, do people really say "What the deuce?" and what is a deuce?

Mini vegetable spring rolls.

hot cross buns.

Quote Mahk View Post

Speaking of Stewie Griffin, do people really say "What the deuce?" and what is a deuce?
    Now I really would be shocked if somebody said "deuce"! I've NEVER heard it used... not in real life, not in TV.

I've seen Family Guy a couple of times ... very funny. Watch Father Ted if you ever get a chance, it's a classic.

Quote Mahk View Post
    "Father Ted" never aired in the US, as far as I know, at least I know I never saw it.
    It was (and may still be) on BBC America, if you can get that.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Risker.

cobweb

i think 'deuce' is a word deriving from 'devil', so it's like "what the devil"?........my granny used to say it, and my mum still does sometimes!.

Quote flying plum View Post
    a dash or two of bitters. sometimes i use orange, rather than angostura. someone once told me that angostura bitters aren't veggie, but i can't find any confirmation? the label just says 'natural flavours'.
    Angostura have never replied to my enquiries. As it contains alcohol of unknown source I assume there's potential for it to have been filtered non veganly.

With regard to Vermouth, Cumin was told that Martini is definitely not vegan by their parent company (full details if you search for the thread). Nolly Prat was confirmed vegan by them to me in an email, however their red is not widely available (white is in most supermarkets). I've only ever seen it online or in Soho Wine Supply (Percey Street, London) where the 4 bottles we've had came from.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I think it's quite english to say 'what the ___' inserting any randomly humerous word preferably very british word. me and my friends are huge fans of 'what the badger' 'what the dickens' and 'what the fruit' but I have never actually heard any one say what the deuce. Onother lil stuwie factoid, on the intro to family it sound like he says 'effin cry' but actually its meant to be 'laugh and cry', the confusion was so great that they re-recorded it making the lyrics clearer, and in the later series its much more obviously laugh and!

"what the funk" is a good one as well, especially if one has watched the Spaced DVD extras about 200 times, like a certain bryzee.

Mahk

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Angostura have never replied to my enquiries. As it contains alcohol of unknown source I assume there's potential for it to have been filtered non veganly.
    I saw a bottle of this at the store and I thought of you Mr Flibble. Hard liquor here in the US never mentions veg*n status and never has ingredients listed. I was shocked to see ingredients so I took a pic just for you. It looked plenty vegan to me and didn't know if the UK version was labeled with ingredients and that that might be the problem, but now I see, re-reading your post, it is the alcohol it contains that you fear may have been filtered through animal stuff.

Considering they make it a point to say that both the coloring and flavoring are vegetable in nature I'd personally feel safe. They are under no obligation to make such declarations leagally here in the US so I think it is purposefully to point out its veg*n status to their ~1% market share that cares.

Tell me, do you scrutinize baked goods, say a biscuit, or "ice cream" if it has vanilla in the ingredients, because they might actually use vanilla extract which contains ...[*Star Trek menacing evil music cue* "Dum-dum-dah" ] alcohol ( I think the majority do) which might similarly be potentially filtered through animal product? I know I don't and I'm a pretty strict vegan. I'd think like vanilla extract they add alcohol which they buy from elsewhere; there is no fermenting or distilling going on at their factory (I'm guessing though).

Interestingly, notice they don't use the Angostura bark like the other clone brands do in order to legally call their product "angostura bitters", even though this company has the actual trade mark. Funny.

What are the drinks one makes with this stuff anyways?

frozen grapes!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Mahk, that's so crazy you found an alcohol with labels and ingredients and such. I've never seen one labelled vegan, fair trade, ever!

Right now I'm addicted to my new Teavana tea.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote Mahk View Post
    Tell me, do you scrutinize baked goods, say a biscuit, or "ice cream" if it has vanilla in the ingredients, because they might actually use vanilla extract which contains ...[*Star Trek menacing evil music cue* "Dum-dum-dah" ] alcohol ( I think the majority do) which might similarly be potentially filtered through animal product? I know I don't and I'm a pretty strict vegan. I'd think like vanilla extract they add alcohol which they buy from elsewhere; there is no fermenting or distilling going on at their factory (I'm guessing though).
    Hi Mahk. As I've stated previously, I personally pay more attention to 'luxury' goods than non. Alcoholic beverages, as far as I'm concerned definitely fall into this category.

I'm not aware of ever having any vegan ice cream that hasn't been labelled by the manufacturer as being so. Most of the baked good containing vanilla that I consume are made at home with either whole vanilla or vegan (again by the manufacturer) vanilla essence.

As you say, there are many places where alcohol is used in manufacture and not listed in ingredients, so unless you have assurance from the manufacturer you cannot be sure. I certainly wouldn't personally knowingly encourage other vegans to consume a product that I knew had a good chance of not being vegan, just because I myself would take the risk. In this particular case the amount of alcohol used in production of flavourings vs amount that you pour into a cocktail is magnitudes smaller. One cocktail would probably (I'd expect, please do prove me wrong) contain more alcohol than a year's worth of all other flavourings.

Mahk

Mr Flibble, I would think of sweets like "ice cream", biscuits (cookies to us US folk), and cake to be luxury goods as well, personally. Also, I'm not entirely clear why you differentiate your level of scrutiny for luxury goods in the first place. Care to explain?

It sounds like you are of the mind that if you buy a bottle of vanilla essence (I guess what we call "extract" here) and it has a Vegan Society approval stamp that this proves the alcohol it contains (which the company bought, they didn't make it) can't possibly have been produced with animal compound filtration. I would think otherwise, however I have never seen the Vegan Society's criteria spelled out to this level of detail so I wouldn't know. Do they (the Vegan Society) allow, for example, a "vegan" food producing company to wash their food touching equipment, mixers, and counter tops with non-Vegan Society approved soap, for example? I think the majority of common soap is definitely not vegan, of course.

Here in the US, since we don't have the Vegan Society to watch out for us, vegans have to trust and hope that if a food, soap, etc is self labeled as "vegan", that the manufacturer understands exactly what that entails. I've never seen a bottle of vanilla essence labeled as vegan here, but even if I did, I'd never think that the maker would have scrutinized their alcohol source so as to ascertain that the corn or grain alcohol they bought hasn't possibly been filtered through animal compound. I don't think it would have ever even occurred to them, let alone that they'd know that some alcohols are animal compound filtered.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Mr Flibble, I would think of sweets like "ice cream", biscuits (cookies to us US folk), and cake to be luxury goods as well, personally.
    Absolutely. I'm not sure I've ever stated otherwise?

Quote Mahk
    Also, I'm not entirely clear why you differentiate your level of scrutiny for luxury goods in the first place. Care to explain?
    Of course. I think there is a differentiator between things that are required (in the mind of the consumer) to exist and things that are 'luxury' items. Some people may view an lactose containing painkiller to be acceptable, because without it they will have a headache. Some people may view it to be a luxury item unless the pain is severe - it is just a headache after all. We all choose our own level of 'extremism'. With regard to food I view anything as luxury which isn't required for leading a balanced healthy diet. Ice cream, biscuits and bottles of booze for making cocktails surely fit into this category. By having different categories you can (if you choose, like I do) to apply stricter or laxer rules to each. I live an extremely comfortable life, I never go hungry (at least I can't remember the last time i was for more than a couple of hours) and get on just fine limiting myself to only a few hundred alcohol beverages (not all in one sitting!) of those that exist in the world.

Quote Mahk
    It sounds like you are of the mind that if you buy a bottle of vanilla essence (I guess what we call "extract" here) and it has a Vegan Society approval stamp that this proves the alcohol it contains (which the company bought, they didn't make it) can't possibly have been produced with animal compound filtration.
    I'd be extremely disturbed and contact trading standards if it was (either vegan society trade marked or stated otherwise as being vegan by the manufacturer - the vegan society trade mark being after all a revenue generating exercise for the vegan society not a kind service by them to encourage better labelling). I'm fairly sure (though not totally) that products containing alcohol need to be in the UK labelled with the alcohol strength by volume, which I've rarely seen on food products, possibly as the inclusion of them excludes their consumption from many religious folk (muslims etc).

Quote Mahk
    I think the majority of common soap is definitely not vegan, of course.
    I'd be a fool to disagree with you that that is indeed a sad reality, which along with many other dimensions (I could spend hours creating lists of such things) certainly affect all products. Whilst I've a vague inkling about the relevance of your paragraph, I'm not totally sure however what you're getting at, unless you're about to spring upon us the airbourne particles that we breath every time we leave our hermetically sealed bubble argument

Quote Mahk
    Here in the US <snip> I'd never think that the maker would have scrutinized their alcohol source so as to ascertain that the corn or grain alcohol hasn't possibly been filtered through animal compound. I don't think it would have ever even occurred to them, let alone that they'd know that some alcohols are animal compound filtered.
    If that is the case (examples would be good) then I think it would be very sad.

I do very much appreciate your thinking of me and the photograph.

Mahk

Thank you for explaining your luxury goods thing. That makes sense. I can see now why you would scrutinize the alcohol filtration method of alcohol used for the vanilla essence production used in the production of cakes, biscuits, and ice cream differently than for normal food. I can't really think of food that would contain vanilla essence yet not also be a dessert food so I guess we can safely assume any product containing vanilla essence needs this higher level of scrutiny by your standards. I warn you, to many people "vanilla" means "vanilla essence" so I would advise you to scrutinize any product that simply uses the word "vanilla". Although they may be technically wrong, I'd think it to be a common mistake. Here in the states, if asking to buy some "vanilla" I'd be rather surprised if you'd be shown anything other than vanilla extract.

I'd be extremely disturbed and contact trading standards if it was
    I don't think you'd get very far, neither your FSA nor my FDA have a working definition of "vegan", to the best of my knowledge; so no codes have been broken or need to be enforced, from their way of thinking. The Vegan Society would be the only ones who would care and they'd have no standing unless they had approved the product with their stamp in the first place, of course.

Whilst I've a vague inkling about the relevance of your paragraph, I'm not totally sure however what you're getting at,
    I'll elaborate. If a food manufacturer is asked: "Are any animal products used in, or in the production of, your product?" unless they use exclusively vegan soap for all their cleaning, then the answer is "Yes, we use animal compounds in the production of our product; soap" yet I don't think the Vegan Society concerns themselves with this detail. That was my point. [Feel free to prove me wrong if you know otherwise.]

If that is the case (examples would be good) then I think it would be very sad.
    You are thinking too much like a well educated vegan, Mr F. I ask you, what percentage of CSR's that respond to our email inquiries would logically think, when asked if their particular brand of, say, vanilla soy ice cream is "vegan", would go through the thought process of "Well let's see, all the other ingredients look vegan, but maybe the vanilla extract that we buy from another company is made with alcohol that they buy from another company that might have been filtered through bone char?" I'm thinking like maybe .01%. Heck, I doubt even 1% could define what "bone char" even is and how it might possibly be used in the production of soy ice cream, albeit indirectly.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    "what the funk" is a good one as well, especially if one has watched the Spaced DVD extras about 200 times, like a certain bryzee.
    I <3 Spaced. Rewatched both seasons the other Sunday. Glad they're not making a stupid American version.

And we use 'bloody' all the time in Australia, it's not rude imo.

I am addicted to Sweet William's White Chocolate. Like really addicted to it
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Default The make your own vegan booze challenge!!

OK peeps... you've seen how I do it - making my own wine, vodka, etc. so I thought I'd see if anyone else fancies a go...?

I'm going to bring some Turbo Cider to VBB's summer party next month (takes about two weeks to make) as me and Hemlock have drunk most of our wine (got some nettle beer that takes some beating...)

I can direct people to recipes, etc. so it's not difficult.

Anyone else fancy a go?
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Mahk

Mr Flibble, Good news! check out my email reply:

No, there are no animal ingredients in our Angostura aromatic bitters
    nor is there any use of animal elements in the production process.
    Thanks for your interest in our product.

Regards,

Giselle Laronde-West

Manager - Corporate Communications

Tel: 868-623-1841 ext. 246

Cell: 868-686-7580

Fax: 868-623-1847

email: glarondew@angostura.com

Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 5:24 PM
    To: Laronde-West, Giselle
    Subject: Enquiry from Website

Are any animal ingredients used in, or in the production of, the regular
    Angostura aromatic bitters? Although most of the ingredients seem to be
    of plant origin, my concern is that the alcohol may have been filtered
    through an animal compound such as bone char.

Thanks,

M.

I'm off to go buy some! How about some recipes then, my drinkmaster friend?

That is indeed great news!

I've taken the liberty of firing off an email to the contact you found (my previous attempts of contacting them were met with silence) to verify that the stuff sold in the UK is produced the same way and not under license by someone else.

There are tonnes of recipes using it, though I've personally not tried any (I turned vegan when I was too young to appreciate alcohol that wasn't vodka or alcopops), only those with orange bitters (luxardo). For an idea: http://www.webtender.com/cgi-bin/sea...=50&verbose=on

(There's a lot of user contributed rubbish on webtender, but you can see what people have voted for and tell it the ingredients you do have in order to filter down to only recipes you can make.)

I'm particularly interested in trying Vunderful - 1 shot of lychees and peaches steeped in gin (at least overnight, if not for a month), 1 shot Pimms, 2-3 dashes angostura, topped with ice and lemonade.

Very prompt, short response saying yes, so i emailed back again just politely asking to clarify that he did mean all products, to which the answer again was yes.

I'll pick up a bottle of the standard bitters tomorrow, then orange bitters and 1919 8 year rum next time i place an online order.

Mahk

Mr F, are "bitters" "bitters"? That is to say if I find a recipe that just calls for "bitters" can I use this stuff or is it a specific kind of bitters? Do you understand my question? As an analogy if a drink called for Curacao or Grand Marnier (sp?) you really shouldn't substitute one for the other despite both being of orange flavor, but if a drink calls for grenadine you can buy any old brand you like. Grenadine is grenadine. Different brands may taste different (and some may or may not be vegan) but you don't have to buy a specific one for a specific drink.

That rum looks intriguing.

Yes and no

Angostura is by far the most common, so most recipes call for it by name. It partly depends on how much is in the recipe as to how much you can really tell the difference; typically bitters make up a small component. Assuming that the recipe doesn't call for a specific type of bitters (such as orange) and only a splash then I'd have thought it's safe to experiment

Default Re: Infused Spirits / Homemade Liqueurs

Lychee & Peach Gin (there really is no recipe):

Though obviously left the longer the better you can apparently start using it within 24 hours, which sounds good to me

Default Re: Infused Spirits / Homemade Liqueurs

wow, that does look soooo delicicous... and sounds great
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Default Re: The make your own vegan booze challenge!!

No takers...?

That's a bit sad really - I guess that no-one on here wants to save money and produce something which you know is vegan, as well as being better for the environment (not costing anything apart from the raw materials and a bit of water) - and something, which doesn't give you a stinking head in the morning

personally, I am sick of being ripped off, purely for being vegan.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

It's a nice idea and I would like to try sometime but if I'm going to do anything domestic I probably ought to catch up with about seven years' worth of cleaning first

Do you need much space?

Well I appreciate what you're doing, and I'd personally be up for it had it not been for the fact that: a) my flat's diddy; and, b) I don't drink...

Anyway I hope you get some takers soon!