Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Spirits, Booze, Liqueurs...

Default Re: The make your own vegan booze challenge!!

excellent thread. I'm gonna give this a try.

I used to make my own wine some years ago.
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

can you do from scratch with your own apples? can i purify them in a food processor? I've heard you don't need yeast then as it's in the peel?
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Buddha Belly

Corum is probably best to ask as it sounds like he has done it for years and i am on my third ever batch in my life.

If using wild apples there is natural yeast in them a juicer may not take them in, i won't find out until next summer. I'm using pressed apple juice at the moment to keep the factory going over winter. I've found 5/6 apple trees in public ground that look like no one is using them at all. If you are going to make some look for the cider making book on www.specialinterstmodelbooks.co.uk it is definately worth the £5.99 i paid.

Mahk

A general question to all:

This is certainly not my field of expertise, but how does one know for sure that they have made ethanol, and not accidentally methanol or a mixture of ethanol and methanol?

Drink it and see if you go blind?!

My country went through a period we call "Prohibition", in the 1920's, or so, when alcohol was banned nationwide, and my understanding is that some people who made their own homemade "moonshine" suffered from this.

I'm not sure of the exact chemistry of it but we aren't making moonshine, there's no distilling going on... yet...
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Buddha Belly

Quote Mahk View Post
    A general question to all:

This is certainly not my field of expertise, but how does one know for sure that they have made ethanol, and not accidentally methanol or a mixture of ethanol and methanol?

Drink it and see if you go blind?!

My country went through a period we call "Prohibition", in the 1920's, or so, when alcohol was banned nationwide, and my understanding is that some people who made their own homemade "moonshine" suffered from this.
    It's only if you start to do double/ triple distills that stuff like that occurs.
    The stuff going on is pretty mild 4 - 10 % gear. I am looking into doing some stilling in a year or so,a single one first to make a weak apple liquor, about 14 - 18 %.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Took the pictorial step by step cider making process off as a breach of copyright. I will e-mail Korn to ask. PM me to find out more.
    Whose copyright? I must have missed that...?
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Not currently a vegan

Default Re: Stewarts Cream of the Barley Whiskey ok??

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    If it's an email can you paste it here, along with the question that you asked please?
    it was an actual letter (in response to mine) from chivas brothers/pernod ricard (viz the process quality assurance leader) confirming that stewart's cream of the barely whisky is suitable for a vegan diet.

Corum is probably best to ask as it sounds like he has done it for years and i am on my third ever batch in my life.
    Who me...?

Nah, I just had some good teachers, including my aunt in Halifax who had us out every spring, gathering carrier bagfulls of dandelions to make the best dandelion wine, ever! I've only been doing this sort of thing - wine/cider making this past couple of years, but I did start brewing beer about 12 years ago, while at art college (I used it as part of my final major project!!)

I would still put in a spoon full of that wine yeast I mentioned earlier in this thread - gives it that extra kick!!

That reminds me, must get some cider on the go. I managed to get four demijohns from the council tip for a couple of quid the other day!

These are currently in my kitchen, going to rack them tomorrow. I am working to a recipe from a very informative book i found, Real Cider making: on a small scale. It gives one as adding sugar from the start and says use mollases or brown sugar for a change of flavour. To this end i have done a mixture of them all. Each is a 2ltr Westons bottle and they will get divided into 2 x 1 ltr bottle with the first being made into 'flat' cider and 1 into sparkling cider. Then i shall be forced to taste test.

The ones i had ready for xmas were brilliant. Very strong and very tasty.
    Lucks pretty damned good there!!

Might I suggest BB, getting yourself some of those plastic airlocks? They only cost about a quid each from most home brew shops and they let less gubbins in, than using cotton wadding in my experience.

Buddha Belly

I got some airlocks about a week later and found that my nearest brew place had what they called Grolsch gromits. Thease allow me to use the weston 2ltr scrumpy bottle with the locks as the bungs are too big and i am perfecting the recipe still. On another note, my grandad died a little while ago and my mum has given me his old airlocks and bungs and a corker. Not used them yet but they will come in useful.

Buddha Belly

I have tested my ciders for alcohol levels they are (approx):
    6%

7-8%

8%

12%

14%

The stronger ones are not too bad, they have a definate kick! I used a bit too much sugar in some and added to it a couple of weeks ago which pushed it up a bit more. The best tasting is the 8% one and i will be making that recipe again. and again. and again.

BlackCats

BB - I think you should bring some to a VF meet-up so we can see what it is like.

Buddha Belly

If there is any left i will.

Chance'd be a fine thing!!! More cider to make for me, then Dandelion Wine!

Buddha Belly

I'm going to try and make some this week.

14%
    BB, you've just made Thunderbird!!!!! Nice one!! At that sort of percentage, you're definitely into Apple Wine territory!

I doff my hat to you sir (well, I would if I was wearing one)!

Buddha Belly

I know it is bloody wicked. 14% and it tatses ok!!!!!!
    I did have a couple of disasters, i made 6 differant varieites mixing the amount and type of sugar and wheher to go for fizz or still. The ones with mollasses are slighty wrong tasteing but drinkable. The best is a 1/2 cup of soft brown sugar in two litres of liquid and lightly fizzing with a shot of southern comfort, literally 25ml in 2 litres. It has given it a good flavour. The last lot i made before was improved with a pinch of cinnamon in 1 litre.
    I will try to locate pear trees and try perry later on too.

I have a beer one to do when the weather is better as it will have to brew in the garage.

helen105281

II have a beer one to do when the weather is better as it will have to brew in the garage.
    ... because the last one split on the living room carpet.

Quote helen105281 View Post
    ... because the last one split on the living room carpet.
    That's why I like our new sink - when there's not loads of pans and stuff in it. (see earlier post)

Buddha Belly

The last beer mix sort of exploded after it was made when it was sat fermenting in the corner. I think it will not happen again but i have no say in the matter. The stain is always used as a trump card when i try to discuss this again!

buckets with lids that seal work the best

I got loads from the Harveys Brewery (which sadly don't make vegan beer - yet )

Buddha Belly

It was originally a kit from Hawkins bazzar

Default Re: Infused Spirits / Homemade Liqueurs

Despite the recent price hike (95p now!) I tried a 'mars bar vodka' recipe last night with a couple of these:

broken up in the bottom of an air tight jar, topped with vodka (smirnoff blue) and stuck on the longest, hottest cycle that my dishwasher does (2:32, top shelf, no detergent).

Worked very well. It turns a dark brown creamy colour (as you'd expect), smells good and certainly has a kick.

The heat of the dishwasher speeds up the infusion without boiling off the alcohol. You need to strain it before bottling (I just used a sieve and funnel - I'm not posh enough to have things like muslin). It leaves a highly alcoholic creamy foam and bits of toffee behind that could possibly be used for something.

I haven't had much time to experiment with mixers yet. I tried mixing 1:1 with white chocolate syrup (10ml of each), which made a shooter tasting a lot like chocolate eclairs (the sweets, not the cream filled choix pastry).

Decrease the amount of white chocolate syrup and it tastes like chocolate covered dark caramel sticks that you could get in france in the 80s (yellow wrapper i seem to remember - tasting it was an instant regression into an alcoholic version of childhood holidays).

I expect it'd go rather well with fresh soya cream, muddled mint or triple sec and chocolate shavings.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

broken up in the bottom of an air tight jar, topped with vodka (smirnoff blue) and stuck on the longest, hottest cycle that my dishwasher does (2:32, top shelf, no detergent).
    So, that saves about two weeks of shaking... sounds good!!

I wonder if I could make a cake in my washing machine...

How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Buddha Belly

I have just finished (the starting part) 36 pints of lovely lovely cider. It has gone to the garage to sit for 2-3 weeks until I blast it with more yeast and sugar then another week and I will bottle it for fizz and high strength

I have about 5 gallons of cider that has been sitting waiting to be bottled for a couple of months now, I just haven't had the time (or inclination). I hope leaving it too long won't ruin it (I had to top up one of the airlocks the other day as it had run dry, woops!)

Buddha Belly

That should be bloody lovely by now.

Absolutely! We're all round to yours then!

I just bottled some of it and started a new batch.

I used a hydrometer for the first time to measure the apple juice I'm using before starting the cider and it has an SG of 1.060, can anyone translate what this actually means to me? My hydrometer has instructions but I really can't understand them.

helen105281

(BB here) 1.060 is 7.8% sounds like a good brew. The list says potential, but close enough to say 7

Blimey, no wonder the batch I added loads of sugar to was so dangerous.

helen105281

(BB) Chuck some wine yeast and 1tbs for each litre in and it may shoot up over 10, if left for another two months, maybe.

Buddha Belly

Have just bottled up another 21 litres of cider. Should be ready to sample in two months.

Growing up my Mother always made homemade wines. All I can remember is how much room they took up... there's not so much room in my house I am tempted to make something like Ginger Beer though... which I think matures in the fizzy bottles? That would take up less space I guess.

Have just bottled up another 21 litres of cider. Should be ready to sample in two months.
    Hmmm. Letchworth isn't so far away from me...

Buddha Belly

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Growing up my Mother always made homemade wines. All I can remember is how much room they took up... there's not so much room in my house I am tempted to make something like Ginger Beer though... which I think matures in the fizzy bottles? That would take up less space I guess.

Hmmm. Letchworth isn't so far away from me...
    The cider is all mine.

It lives in my garage and is rationed through the dry moments. Though i do have some spare that I made with molasses as an experiment. Do not try this, it is vile. Bloody strong. But vile

Run through the thread and try Corum's turbo cider it is very easy to do and takes up so little space.

This is easiest wine making recipe ever and it tastes good and is quick

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1562

Run through the thread and try Corum's turbo cider it is very easy to do and takes up so little space.
    Ooh, Thanks (I know, theres a button for that)

I think Sainsburys have some very cheap Apple Juice in the 'value' type range... I feel a shopping trip approching.

Only problem is, getting hold of PET bottles, as I don't normally drink from fizzies. I think I'm going to have to go cap in hand to the parents again. 'Mum, can I borrow your demijohn? Oh, and do you have some fizzy drink bottles I can have'

I might ask for the apple juice too. I'm out of work as of the 22nd of May (For the first time in 7 years!) so I'll be flat broke. However, also need to keep busy... I tell you, the house will have never been so clean!

Oh, and the marrow rum looks like fun. I've developed a strange preoccupation with wild yeasts of late.... hope it works better than the sourdough (which I think just dislikes living in an unheated house)
    Last edited by Ms_Derious; May 18th, 2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Buddha Belly

Quote toffo View Post
    This is easiest wine making recipe ever and it tastes good and is quick

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1562

I will make this tomorrow.
    Thanks! (pushes where thanks button should be)

Buddha Belly

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Ooh, Thanks (I know, theres a button for that)

I think Sainsbury's have some very cheap Apple Juice in the 'value' type range... I feel a shopping trip approaching.

Only problem is, getting hold of PET bottles, as I don't normally drink from fizzies. I think I'm going to have to go cap in hand to the parents again. 'Mum, can I borrow your demijohn? Oh, and do you have some fizzy drink bottles I can have'

I might ask for the apple juice too. I'm out of work as of the 22nd of May (For the first time in 7 years!) so I'll be flat broke. However, also need to keep busy... I tell you, the house will have never been so clean!

Oh, and the marrow rum looks like fun. I've developed a strange preoccupation with wild yeasts of late.... hope it works better than the sourdough (which I think just dislikes living in an unheated house)
    I use a balloon with a hole pierced in it for an airlock on some of my bottles where the bung airlocks don't fit. Try your local dump for demijohns as they usually keep them to one side for a dirt cheap price. Even ask the local pub for their old spirits bottles. Or push comes to shove 12p for supermarkets own brand pop. If you get lemonade it can be used to feed plants. I have enough kit to make about 120 litres, if i had the desire too. It has probably cost about £20 to get all the bits. If anyone I know has wine bottles with screw top lids I take them for my needs. A good clean will get rid of any crap in there.

Sorry about your job, lost mine two months ago, I have to keep busy or go mad.

You could also try asking for demijohns etc. on Freecycle. I think that's where Risker got his from.

Buddha Belly

I have trouble getting to grips with freecycle. I can not work the site out, which means i am probably doing it wrong.

Quote Enchantress View Post
    You could also try asking for demijohns etc. on Freecycle. I think that's where Risker got his from.
    The local tip often has them for sale at 50 pence each (I just got four last month).

Sorry about your job, lost mine two months ago, I have to keep busy or go mad.
    Oh hell!! I'm on the verge of losing mine (but I'm currently fighting for it).

Buddha Belly

Shit, there is a lot of us now who have lost their jobs. Good luck with finding a new one.

The nougat bar vodka was a massive success and didn't last very long. It was awesome blended with vanilla icecream, white chocolate syrup and topped with chocolate shavings.

I tried making a whole bottle of the stuff this past weekend. I didn't however have enough bars so added 100g of divine dark chocolate to it.

Sadely it isn't nearly as good as using more bars and adding just enough vodka to cover them. The result I have this time is very strong and it hasn't mixed properly. I haven't separated it all out yet - am just going to leave it to infuse for a few weeks and shake every day before I do.

I'm sure I'll find a use for it, but whilst thoroughly encouraging anyone to try the recipe I previously posted stress not to add too much vodka.

Cake in a washing machine? Now there's an idea. I thought about using a washing machine to make dough, but not cake

I haven't separated it all out yet - am just going to leave it to infuse for a few weeks and shake every day before I do.
    I've been tasting it every day and it's definitely getting better with time

I'll start then.

Last year for Xmas I made sloe gin (using the recipe from http://www.sloe.biz 's homepage) and Christmas vodka (using my own made up recipe). Both were a complete success, so this year I'm making twice as much of the vodka and am making damson gin (which I wanted to make last year but couldn't due to lack of damsons), using fruit kindly donated from Phoenix Rising's garden. I'll be using this Damson Gin Recipe. Last year's sloes have been in brandy for the past 9 months (to be honest I'm a little scared to drink it!), although a few of them made their way into some dark chocolate. I'm looking forward to making gin soaked damson crumble this christmas

Christmas Vodka

1 litre vodka (medium quality)
    4 cups (if from frozen then thawed) cranberries, pricked
    2 sticks of cracked cinamon bark (about 4 inches long each)
    2 cracked nutmegs
    20 cloves
    2 tsp corander seeds
    4 inches of split vanilla bean
    220g castor sugar

Put all the above in an infusing jar/demi-john and shake violently for as long as you can bare. Do this each day for the first couple of weeks, then whenever you remember. If you don't have all of the above then don't worry, the essentials are just cinamon, cloves and some sort of hard sour berry. Some sugar is required, but potentially not as much as 220g - I like mine sweet. By xmas it should be dark red and tasting fantastic

I made several cocktails with it, but can't remember quantities and don't seem to have written them down! One that was particularly good was some of the above, some red vermouth (run a search here for confirmation of Nolly Prat being vegan - it's the only one I've found that is - unfortunately not that easy to get hold of), orange juice and potentially cointreau (again run a search for Remy), thou it's all a bit hazy. Basically the idea is cold mulled wine; it went down a treat served from red flasks at last year's santacon

sounds lush!! how long before xmas do you start to make this? (don't want it going off)

It won't go off (provided that whatever fruit you're using is submerged). Some people leave sloes in gin for years.

I just tasted a bit of mine from last year (possibly the year before, can't remember) and it still tastes good

Make it now if you fancy and can get hold of some cranberries.

The nougat bar vodka was a massive success and didn't last very long. It was awesome blended with vanilla icecream, white chocolate syrup and topped with chocolate shavings.
    That sounds awesome. The perfect replacement for Baileys!
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~