Thread: Save the Wild Horses

Default Save the Wild Horses

For those of you in the United States, I hope there is something you can all do, to save the wild horses in your country.

If you chose to watch the videos listed on the webpage, there are some upsetting scenes.

Save the Wild Horses

Seaside

Default Re: Save the Wild Horses

Thank you, Roxy. I didn't look at the videos, but I did send a letter to my Congressman.

Thanks Seaside

Seaside

You're Welcome, Roxy!

Come on, now... where is everybody?
    Maybe this should go in the USA forum?

spo

Hi Roxy and Seaside
    I sent the message to my congressman and I also did it on the ASPCA website.
    spo

Thank you spo

Seaside

Good news!

Dear Laura,

I'm so pleased to tell you that last night, thanks to your action, the U.S. House of Representatives voted in a landslide -- 249-159 -- to ban the sale of wild horses for slaughter! Americans were outraged last December when a secret rider in a budget bill gutted the federal protections afforded to wild horses for 34 years, an action that allowed "killer buyers" last month to ship 41 mustangs to an Illinois slaughterhouse, which quickly killed these majestic animals so they could be served up on dinner plates in Europe and Asia.

U.S. Representatives Nick Rahall (D-WV), Ed Whitfield (R-KY), John Sweeney (R-NY), and John Spratt (D-SC) have led the charge to end horse slaughter. As Congressman Rahall stated after last night's victory, "The very notion that wild American horses would be slaughtered as a food source for foreign consumption abroad has struck a chord with the American people. Tonight, the people's House of Representatives acted on the will of its constituents."

Congressional offices told us they were flooded with phone calls and emails all week asking them to support the Rahall-Whitfield Amendment to the Interior Appropriations Bill, and I can assure you that your participation carried the day in this decisive victory for horses.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Roxy!
    Thank you, too, spo!

Wonderful news!! The people spoke and were heard! I'm so happy about this

Thank you Seaside and Spo, for helping this to happen.

Talking Horse slaughter ban passes house! (USA)

IF YOU 'VE GOT THE TIME -- AFTER READING THIS PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATOR AND LET THEM KNOW YOU WANT IT TO PASS THE SENATE TOO.

http://www.senate.gov/

U.S. House of Representatives Passes Permanent Ban on Horse Slaughter

The Humane Society of the United States Applauds House Action and Urges Quick Passage in the Senate

WASHINGTON (Sept. 7) In a historic step toward ending the slaughter of American horses for human consumption abroad, the U.S. House of Representatives today passed H.R. 503, the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, in a vote of 263 to 146. The Humane Society of the United States, the largest animal protection organization in the country, has been lobbying Congress to enact the ban and applauds todays action.

The House today took us one giant step closer to halting the barbaric and needless slaughter of American horses for foreign consumers, said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS. Now its up to the U.S. Senate to replicate its prior votes against the disreputable practice of horse slaughter and establish enduring protections for these icons of our culture.

Two amendments were offered to gut H.R. 503, and the House defeated both measures. An amendment by Rep. Robert Goodlatte (R-Va.) was defeated 177 to 229, and the amendment by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) was defeated 149 to 256.

The legislation -- introduced in the House by John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), Ed Whitfield (R-Ky.), John Spratt (D-S.C.) and Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.) and in the Senate, as S. 1915, by John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Mary Landrieu (D-La.) -- prohibits the slaughter of horses or the trade, sale and transport of horseflesh and live horses intended for human consumption. We are tremendously grateful to our leaders and to the majority of the House members who have taken a humane and decisive stand with their action today, added Pacelle.

Last year, the House and Senate overwhelmingly passed amendments to halt horse slaughter by de-funding inspections at slaughterhouses. But the U.S. Department of Agriculture side-stepped the new law to allow the three foreign-owned slaughterhouses to continue operating in the United States. The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act would ensure a permanent ban on slaughter.

Nearly 100,000 horses are slaughtered each year in this country, and the cruelty is not limited to the slaughter itself. Economics, not humane considerations, dictate transport conditions, and horses are crowded into trucks that dont allow them to raise their heads, frequently for very long distances. Once there, the animals are in a highly agitated state as they are prodded onto the kill floor, where they can see, hear, and smell other horses being killed.

Horse slaughter is simply indefensible, and polls show that the vast majority of Americans agree, Pacelle said. As we build on todays successful vote and take the debate to the Senate, we urge humane-minded citizens to call and write their senators and get this legislation passed once and for all.
    "Take the path of least harm"

Default Re: Horse slaughter ban passes house! (USA)

That's great, thanks for sharing the news.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Talking Re: Horse slaughter ban passes house! (USA)

That's such good news Sheila...thanks for letting us know.....I'll get a dozen emails on this before the day's out.....but YOURS was the first!!

Default The US is debating a bill to stop killing horses for meat

I heard on NPR, The House of Representatives just passed a bill to stop the slaughter of horses for meat. Proponents claim that it is "inhumane" and horses are a beautiful animal that have a special place in our (the U.S.'s) culture. It's good news that they want to stop slaughtering horses, but its completely hippocritical that cows, sheep, chicken, etc. are ignored. The reporter quoted Orwell saying "All animals are equal, just some more equal than others."
    The bill still has to go through the Senate and be signed by our Texan president before it becomes law. We'll see.
    "Hey everybody, I made some Gazpacho"- Lisa Simpson
    "
    Go back to Russia"- Barney Gumble:D

Default Re: The US is debating a bill to stop killing horses for meat

Quote Vagetarian View Post
    I heard on NPR, The House of Representatives just passed a bill to stop the slaughter of horses for meat. Proponents claim that it is "inhumane" and horses are a beautiful animal that have a special place in our (the U.S.'s) culture. It's good news that they want to stop slaughtering horses, but its completely hippocritical that cows, sheep, chicken, etc. are ignored. The reporter quoted Orwell saying "All animals are equal, just some more equal than others."
    The bill still has to go through the Senate and be signed by our Texan president before it becomes law. We'll see.

I do agree that it is hypocritical, but at least it is a step in the right direction. First horses then who knows maybe chickens? As far as our Texan president goes I found the most amazing quote last night in reference to the fight against terrorism:

"When faced with an enemy that hates your freedoms, you dump the freedoms. No freedoms, no hatred. No hatred, no suicide bombers. A simple plan from a simple man: George W. Bush, tactical mastermind."

Ok, I thought it was funny!
    "Take the path of least harm"