Thread: too little calories?

Default too little calories?

hi. for the past few weeks i have been trying to lose some weight. so i cut my cals down to 1200-ish.. i didnt keep count before as to how much i was eating before, but it was probably well over 2000.

i havent been able to do much exercise, cos i am real busy and work every day. but i have been doing quite a bit of walking recently. and i plan to go running. i cant afford to join a gym at the mo.

anyway. i read somewhere that eating between 1000 and 1200 cals is just not enough..and thats basically sending your body into starvation. as it needs about 1000-1200 just to function.

the idea of eating 1500 or more scares me a little..but do you think i am not eating enough cals?

i am 20. i weigh 122lbs & am 5 '4...apparently i am in the healthy weight range..but i still feel fat most days. and wish i could be fitter/leaner etc.

Default Re: too little calories?

122 for 5'4" is definately in the healthy weight range! If you are starting to get afraid of higher numbers thats not a good sign and you shouldn't be as hard on yourself. 1200 is the absolute lowest that is recommended for a healthy diet and thats usually w. a sedentary lifestyle. especially when you start running you should think about increasing your intake. But everyone is different. I would suggest finding what works for you and what gets you to lose a healthy 1 or 2 pounds a week that is recommended. Then, when you want to maintain weight just try increasing your calories slowly each week until you stop losing.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Lozza, maybe all you need is some toning up? Even thin people can be flabby (what's the more politically correct term for this? ).

Maybe do some yoga or pilates? You can get free info online or buy a cheap DVD.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

hmmm never thought of that. i dunno..i just dont feel like a thin person, even though i know deep down i am. i've always sort of seen myself as fat..

thanks, i will look up some info

(Hope I can butt in here a bit, didn't want to start another thread when a suitable one was spotted.)
    I just started on a diet of 1000 calories a day (and I too ate over 2000 a day before)...but I feel fine. I get a little bit hungry before lunch and dinner, but nothing unbearable. Even with working out more I don't get strong cravings - should I keep at this since my body isn't sending warning signals or up the calorie count a bit anyways?
    The scale says I've lost 2 pounds in 3 days, but I'm thinking thats A)water weight from reducing sodium & refined carb intake and B) I weighed myself at different times of day. I'm currently 148 pounds and am 5'3.

Hi Bic - I just thought I'd put in my cents worth......

1000 calories a day isn't very much, especially if you're exercising and working out. Maybe you could try adding an extra 500 or 600 calories per day. Of course, the weight won't come off as quickly, but there's a better chance of it staying off, once you go back to normal eating.

Alright, I'll do that. I didn't really have a good idea of what I was supposed to be cutting my calories down to so I just halved them. My goal is fitness too, so I don't want to end up harming myself by accidently starving my body.

Good sperm

If you cut calories below 1200 or so a day your body will go into famine mode and you wont lose weight. Eat 1500 ish and exercise and the weight will come off.

And be aware what you are eating too!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Alright, I'll be upping my calories to around 1300-1500 a day starting today. And RedWellies, I try to be very aware of what I'm eating. Since the start of my diet it's been mostly protein-rich foods (cooked beans and soy products) mixed in with regular fruits and veggies. I'm wary about trying adding too many grains to my diet (I tend to overdo them), but I suppose I'll figure out a way to fit them in somehow.
    Thank you all for your info!

I read somewhere that you need at least 1500 calories a day to get all of your nutrients..so good job!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Alright, I went in to see the doctor today (I'm getting back on the pill + I got the HPV vaccine) and while I was there I asked her about the calorie issue. She pretty much confirmed what you all have told me - 1000 calories is starving the body, pay attention to what I am eating to get the right nutrients, etc. And she based on my age/current weight/height/activity level that 1300 is my minimum for healthy weightloss so long as I get in all my nutrients. She was quite firm about that bit. Sounds good!
    Thanks for helping me get back on track so my doctor didn't have to scold me.

I used to make every effort to consume no more than 1000-1200 calories a day. Not only was this difficult and extremely boring in terms of what I could actually eat, but the second I attempted to eat a little more, perhaps a one-off slice of cake or chocolate bar, I would instantly put on a couple of pounds just like that!

I now know more about how the metabolism works. As has already been mentioned, when your body goes into starvation mode your metabolism hits rock bottom in a desperate attempt to hang on to calories.

I gradually increased my calorie intake, bit by bit, and my typical daily intake is now around 1700-2000 (sometimes twice as much as before!!) depending on my appetite. Being that a single treat used to be all it took to pile on the pounds, 2000 calories was initially a very scary thought!! But I've found that by eating more, my metabolism has risen and I can get away with eating much more than I used to. I've put on a few pounds (intentionally), but that's only through adding a few extra treats like icecream and cakes (on top of the 1700-2000 cals), which I would normally not have. I've now got so much more energy and feel loads healthier. My skin is also clearing up, probably because on a diet of 1000 calories it's almost impossible to get all the essential nutrients for health.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

BlackDog

From the PCRM website:
    A new study shows that a low-fat vegan diet leads to significant weight loss, without requiring dieters to restrict calories, portion sizes, or carbohydrates, or even to exercise. In a controlled trial conducted by PCRM’s Neal Barnard, M.D., Gabrielle Turner-McGrievy, M.S., R.D., and Amy Joy Lanou, Ph.D., along with colleagues at Georgetown and George Washington universities, overweight women lost an average of 13 pounds in 14 weeks. They also trimmed two inches off their waistlines and an inch off their hips. The study is reported in the September 2005 American Journal of Medicine.
    The participants ranged in age from 44 to 73. They had been randomly assigned to either a low-fat vegan diet or to a more conventional low-fat comparison diet based on the guidelines of the National Cholesterol Education Program. Because exercise can cause weight loss, they were asked not to alter their exercise patterns for the study’s duration. In weekly meetings, they planned out their menus, learned new recipes, and tried new products.
    More at: http://www.pcrm.org/magazine/gm05aut...ight_loss.html

Thanks for that article!!

I currently am 145 at 5'4, looking to lose about 20-25 pounds. I have lowered my caloric intake from 2000+ (who knows) to about 1500. I walk/jog intervals about 20-30 mins daily, and am going to incorporate tae-bo in 3 times a week as well. I also take a daily multi.

I figure fill up on fruits & veg first, then add in beans & grains in moderate amounts daily. I haven't been eating enough beans lately tho .....but I do eat soy products.

How are you doing Bic?
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

msbliss

I am finding it hard to get more than 1200 calories a day now. I try to only eat when I'm hungry and I try to eat fruits & veggies first. I find that most of my fat & calorie intake comes from oil (I usually stir fry my veggies) and stuff like Vegenaise & Earth Balance (I like sandwiches and toast). A lot of days it's under 1000. I definitely don't want to go into starvation mode but if I am exercising and eating fruits/veggies and taking vitamins daily, and eating according to my appetite, is my body still going to think it's starving?

Hi msbliss,

I had the same problem a little while ago. I think that because my body was used to managing on so little calories, whenever I tried to eat a bit more my stomach would feel really bloated and uncomfortable - I'd even have to go and have a lie down sometimes! In the end, I knew I had to increase my intake so I attempted to do it very gradually, just adding a tiny bit more to each meal. In time, I was able to eat a "normal" size meal and feel ok.

Appetite is not just a physical feeling, I think a lot of it is psychological too. For example, a very busy person might often find themselves skipping meals by default, as they don't have time to think about food. It's important to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs, and it's virtually impossible to get these on 1000 calories a day.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

It can be a dangerous game to start counting calories too much, particularly if you are trying to restrict yourself to under the recommended daily amount. I used to work in an inpatient facility for adolescents with eating disorders, and a common factor was an obsession with numbers - how many calories different foods had, how many they were burning off, how few they could take in etc.

While you all sound like you are being sensible, monitor yourself and if you feel like you are starting to get obsessed with your calorie intake, do seek help. It's unfortunate that a lot of people with eating disorders go veg*n as it gives them a 'legitimate' excuse to refuse food. This is why so many people think that vegans are too thin and unhealthy.

I think it's the job of all vegans to be as healthy as possible, to show all the omnis that not only is veganism the most ethical way to live, but also the best for healthy living.
    Kia kaha e hoa, kia ora

msbliss

Good idea kiwi. I hate to admit it because it's so unhealthy but yes I have had problems with this sort of thing in the past. The only thing was I wasn't vegan so it was definitely a struggle. Now it's all too easy to not consume enough calories and still feel satisfied. I am trying to keep it above 1000 a day for now. This weekend that was no problem.

I say stuff your face with nuts honey and dates on plain soya yoghurt every chance you get.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Quote Cattmogg View Post
    I say stuff your face with nuts honey and dates on plain soya yoghurt every chance you get.
    honey?

maple syrup, I call it tree honey, oops.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Well, I have also been trying to lose weight.
    I have been on a 1,200 calorie diet.
    I read somewhere that it was a low but heathly caloric intake for daily use.(For women)
    But I neglected to see if it was suited for someone who is 17. (Me)
    I practice hatha yoga daily for about 30-60 min. (It depends)
    So I was concerned about, as you all said, having my body go into starvation mode. But I don't feel like I am sick/weak but I would not hesitate to up it
    100-200 calories if I was feeling ill.
    I have always had an issue with mindless eating and overeating.
    So I really feel like counting calories is a good thing for me, keeps me from going overboard.(And insane)
    And controls my portions, its a good feeling to know that you have eaten all your calories.
    Instead of wondering, did I overeat today?
    Did I eat to little today?
    I am going to start eating almost all fruits and veggies.(With whole wheats,
    tofu, nuts, soy dogs, soy yogurt, and vegan chili and soups occasionally.)
    So I will make sure that I am eating enough.
    I wish everyone good luck.
    <3
    Last edited by Absolute_Zero; Sep 18th, 2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling issue.
    Nothing comes from violence, and nothing ever could.