Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Urm... periods stopped!

Default Urm... periods stopped!

Hi
    ok so i used to be anorexic & so my periods stopped. but then i got better & my periods came back. now ive been cutting own some foods & exercising lots & i get obsessive & i now i weigh 7 and a half stone. i haven't had a period in 3 months.. hmm.im a bit worried. i really don't want to gain weight. I am 5 foot 5 about. is it so bad that my periods have stopped?

Default Re: Urm..periods stopped.!!!!

I think 7 and a half stone sounds on the light side for that height, in fact I'm pretty sure it's in the "underweight" catagory on the BMI. As to whether it's good or bad that your periods have stopped - how do you feel about it? Also, is there a possibility you could be pregnant and that's the reason?

Default Re: Urm... periods stopped!

hehe well im not pregnant thats for sure. I don't really know..at first i was fine about it but im getting a bit worried now because i read somewhere about it builds cancer cells or something along those lines.

Quiet Vegan

Your periods have stopped because you are not ovulating, not ovulating could be because of a few things but the main reason is because you ARE under weight.
    PLEASE put on a little bit of weight, it doesn't have to be too much. You just need to get your body balanced again.
    Win or lose, sink or swim, one thing is certain, we'll never give in, side by side, hand in hand, we all stand together!

LittleNellColumbia

Hi
    Your BMI is 17.5, so you are significantly underweight (normal BMI 20-25). Your periods have stopped because you are underweight (if you're absolutely positive that you aren't pregnant). You really need to address this or it could have serious long-term effects on your health, such as osteoporosis.

Take care

Liz

LittleNellColumbia

You're right LittleNell, it is sometimes inaccurate, usually when someone's very muscular and have a high BMI, but with a such a low BMI, a past history of anorexia, and no periods, I really think you need to get checked out with your GP Tofutofu

thankyou all for your posts

Not having periods is one way a severely underweight body conserves vital resources. The body's aim is to stay alive and reproductive function is not essential to staying alive.
    Your body is telling you something is wrong and you are not looking after it.
    Get a general health check and get some help with your eating disorder. Otherwise you could put your heart at risk and risk developing osteoporosis.
    There is an eating disorders thread here which may helpful.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I read somewhere that girls start their periods when a number of body/hormonal changes happen. One of those was going over seven and a half stone. If this is true then weight obviously plays a part in this.

Personally, I think if you are 5'5 and 7.5 stone, you are too light, regardless of your body type. Just for your comparison, I am about 5'2 and weight about 8 stone and I'm not a large person!

Stress also can stop your periods.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

stop eating so much tofu. i'm just guessing you do 'cause of the name. i've read that soy products contain a lot of phytoestrogens, which, in healthy amounts, can be very beneficial. but when our diet is composed mainly of soy foods--cereal with soy milk and a bagel with soy cream cheese for breakfast, and tofu for lunch, tempeh for dinner and cooking with "vegetable" oil and soy oil, as well as soy sauce--then it can get into excessive amounts. try cutting down on your soy products. a little soy is fine if you choose to include it in your diet but too much is definitely bad. i would completely advise against the use of soybean oil, because of my reading (stuff about cancer, thyroid problems, reproductive health problems and endometriosis), and the use of soy products altogether, but some say it's fabulous. females need to worry more about limiting their soy than males, as we are the ones with more estrogen. if i eat soy it's not because of its health benefits... to me that's like eating cake (vegan, of course) or other junk food--it's a rare treat and isn't a main component of my diet.

PygmyGoat

^ I disagree completely - soy oestregens are recommended for women. I eat a lot of Soy and my periods are regular as clockwork and I ovulate every month. It's much more likely to be a weight issue or malnourishment linked to the Anorexia.

I eat a lot of soy to, and I'm not having any problems.

apparently Japanese women have little or no menopausal symptoms due to the fact that they eat so much soya, although i do feel that the absence of dairy products in their <original> diet is a much more important factor.
    Soya like everythink else isnt suitable for everyone but i think its fine to eat it regularly altho not excessively as too much of anythink can be bad for u!

I heard that too rianaelf! I'm hoping it's right cause I'll be heading that way soon, [menopausal, I mean not Japan].

A great theory on why Asian women (Japanese and Chinese) don't experience as many menopausal symptoms as caucasian women is explained in "The China Study." I only hope that becoming vegan later in life (as I was not raised that way) will also be beneficial. The theory is actually linked to having little animal protein in their diets (dairy or otherwise).

As far as tofutofu's lack of menstruation, see a health provider for this problem please. Relying on our comments may be detrimental to your health as we cannot physically examine you. Any time a young woman stops menstruating there is a reason. A full examination by a qualified professional is the safest way to go, IMO. Good luck with finding the cause.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote sandra View Post
    I heard that too rianaelf! I'm hoping it's right cause I'll be heading that way soon, [menopausal, I mean not Japan].
    well, wen i was doing my training for my herbal medicine course, a woman came in who was 51. She had already been thru her MP and was asking about a different problem.
    thing was, that she was vegan and she looked AMAZING i couldnt believe she was actually 51, she didnt look anythink like whatever 51 is sopposed to look like!
    and on another note, i am wanting to do a study on vegan women and the MP and really i should get that thread going cos i think it would be most interesting

That would be an interesting thread rianaelf, and your right about the age thing. My sister is 57 and she looks about 30 something and there are people I know in their 20's and 30's who look older than their years. I think part of it has to do with diet and lifestyle but I do think that genes play a big part too.

i think it takes years sometimes for a bad diet to show thru on the outside.
    i mean, a woman who has past her childbearing days, going thru a change in her body and still taking baby food meant for a cow or a goat? that has got to look a bit odd on the outside

It does doesn't it.

well, i've read in many sources that the phytoestrogens are to be blamed for women's menstrual problems.

soy is a product that is so easy to grow and so cheap to make and it is often genetically modified, especially if you live in north america. i have read in books, online, lots of places, that it is bad for you. i know when i was drinking lots of soy milk that my period stopped. i researched this so i could learn about it. as soon as i stopped drinking soy milk low and behold i got my period again. a friend of mine is veggie and has endometriosis and she eats soy products. soy is found in everything, from chocolate, to all kinds of processed foods; it is a FILLER product. it has so many uses, sure, but i don't think any of those uses should be to CONSUME it. i eat soy on a rare occasion and that's not because of its health benefits, because i don't think it really has any benefits other than that it is full protein, which with proper food combining can be replaced, i only have it because sometimes it tastes yummy. it's never ever going to be a part of my diet. i would rather eat cake (vegan) as a meal instead of soy everyday.

plus, soy products are very processed so it's up to you what you want to eat. i don't think something that is cheap to grow, to make, often genetically modified, is found in a wide range of crappy foods, etc. should ever be the basis of anyone's diet, especially when there is all kinds of research out there suggesting that soy is damaging to one's health, especially women. please research it further before you decide to continue using soy products... and whoever's period stopped, try to not eat soy products and see if it comes back. don't you think it makes sense that with a plant whose estrogen mimics human estrogen to have an effect on a woman's body that it MAY even be a LITTLE possible that this estrogen is causing a disturbance? think about it, and don't be completely ignorant and say that soy is not the reason for your period to stop.

too

much

soy!

period. look it up, many times, from different sources, and make the decision for yourself. try a testing period... you won't die without soy, so stop using it... stop, and then see what happens. and by stop i don't mean for a week or a day or something, i mean for a month, two months, etc. ... just try it. i think it's ignorant for people to just say straight off the bat that soy is not to blame when research has been done that suggests that soy estrogens really do affect a woman's body. if they do so good for a woman's body, don't you think that too much could be bad?

For what it's worth it is well known that being severly underweight can stop your periods. It happens to a lot of anorexics. But like the posts say do get yourself checked out even if only for your own peace of mind as worry can also cause havoc with your menstrual cycle.
    x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

PygmyGoat

grrrnola - lots of foods are much cheaper/easier to grow and are the basis of some very healthy diets, such as cereals and rice, so I don't think that's a valid argument!!. Vegetables are probably cheaper to grow and definitely cheaper and easier to market.

I still don't understand why Soya would stop menstruation but there are theories for and against every foodstuff.

Also, it's relatively easy to avoid GM Soya.

i do think that too much of anythink can be bad for u.
    too much wheat can inhibit the bodies absorption of calcium for example so i guess to much soya could also be damaging, tho im sure a sensible amount is fine.
    A good example is the herb Calamus root.
    A little can significantly decrease the acid secretions that can cause chronic indigestiion, but too much can actually increase the amount of acid!
    So there is one plant that has the opposite effect depending on how much u take of it.
    er, does that help at all?

Your doctor can do a simple blood test to see if your hormones are out of balance.
    If your periods have stopped I think most doctors would be happy to do such a test.
    Except if you are underweight, they will probably say its underweight. They usually look for the most obvious reason.

I was really underweight for a while after an unnecessary dieting phase, and my period stopped. I tried eating more healthy, dense foods like nut butters and legumes, and along with working out, put on five pounds. Then the cycle got back to normal after a six month hiatus. I still look slim and people compliment my figure but I feel a lot better knowing I'm not impairing my health.

Maybe the same thing will happen to you if you just shoot for five pounds

LittleNellColumbia

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    grrrnola - lots of foods are much cheaper/easier to grow and are the basis of some very healthy diets, such as cereals and rice, so I don't think that's a valid argument!!. Vegetables are probably cheaper to grow and definitely cheaper and easier to market.

I still don't understand why Soya would stop menstruation but there are theories for and against every foodstuff.

Also, it's relatively easy to avoid GM Soya.

this website is pretty useful on the dangers of soy. it is an alternative perspective and i know that many people will disagree with it, but people with these experiences are the ones who are saying soy is dangerous and people who haven't had to deal with it are saying that it isn't. i think it is a very useful piece of information. i think that soy can be partially blamed for problems with women's reproductive health: http://soyonlineservices.co.nz

check it out, it'll answer all the questions and doubts, more or less, and give you a background on soy production.

PygmyGoat

^ unfortunately the page is unavailable (from the link).

I wouldn't suggest that everyone eat masses of Soya (or anything else), I'm just going on my own experiences I suppose. I use a LOT of non-GM Soya Milk, and it seems to have definitely helped me with hormonal problems. I know another 2 (non-Vegans) who also use Soya Milk because they were recommended to by their doctors for hormonal problems. It has helped them, but maybe because they were using Cow milk before, so it could, i admit, be the lack of Cow milk that really helps, I dunno.

All I know is that I am happy with the way I eat at the moment - it could be better - ideally I would like to eat all raw - but I can live with it, I feel healthy and happy, so I will carry on using Soya because it seems to suit me .

This article is quite interesting re the case for and against soya:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm

I can't access that NZ site either but from what I've read before some of the more worrying soy research that's around may be suspect because funded by US pro-meat/milk interests.

Personally I'm none too keen on industrially-processed soy extracts being added to manufactured foods, but I feel if traditional foods like tofu were dangerous some clear evidence might have emerged from the far east where they have been part of the diet for thousands of years.

Tofutofu, can you update us? Its a while since you asked your question. Are you still concerned?

Megan89

hey there,
    I've been a vegan for 6 months now and i stopped taking the pill in the middle of august, i had a 'period' after stopping taking it but since then have not had a period for 2 months.....do u think this is normal???

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    ^ unfortunately the page is unavailable (from the link).

I wouldn't suggest that everyone eat masses of Soya (or anything else), I'm just going on my own experiences I suppose. I use a LOT of non-GM Soya Milk, and it seems to have definitely helped me with hormonal problems. I know another 2 (non-Vegans) who also use Soya Milk because they were recommended to by their doctors for hormonal problems. It has helped them, but maybe because they were using Cow milk before, so it could, i admit, be the lack of Cow milk that really helps, I dunno.

All I know is that I am happy with the way I eat at the moment - it could be better - ideally I would like to eat all raw - but I can live with it, I feel healthy and happy, so I will carry on using Soya because it seems to suit me .

I used to crave soymilk when I had pms and when I drank it I felt instantly nicer. I could imagine if soy has such an effect on me it may have a different effect on someone else.

I've laid off tofu and soymilk though, because of the rancid gas
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Megan89 View Post
    hey there,
    I've been a vegan for 6 months now and i stopped taking the pill in the middle of august, i had a 'period' after stopping taking it but since then have not had a period for 2 months.....do u think this is normal???
    Hi Megan89, just saw your post. I'm also concerned about this. I stopped taking the pill almost a year ago now and haven't had a single period since. I'm not underweight (5ft 3" and just under 8 stone) I've been vegan for about 4 years and my cycle was "normal" before, so I don't think it's diet-related.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Megan89

Hmm wow that is a long time - you ought to check it out with the doctor. I went to the doctor and apparently I have something which is quite common called 'Post pil amenorrhoea" or something like that it just means that your 'cycle' takes a while to get back in rythm but my doctor said that it should only last for 6 MONTHS! and she said to come back after 6 months if my period still hadn't started so I will. Its only been 4 months for me! Hmm well u're probably just bordering underweight/normal line - I'm about the same as you really - I might be a tad underweight cos I'm 7st8lb, and just under 5ft4, but I've always been like this so I don't think its an issue for me!
    Keep in touch, Megan xxx
    PS Do you ever experience 'period type pains' even though you don't have your periods anymore? I keep getting them and I keep getting excited cos I think my period is starting but it never does GRRness!!!

i've said this in other threads, but when i stopped taking the pill i didn't have a period for 18 months. i lost a lot of weight when i stopped taking it and became underweight. i have some sort of hormone problem because i get really bad acne when i'm not on the pill.

if you go to your doctor about the lack of periods he/she might be helpful but mine just told me 'it's one of those things' and most likely won't change unless i get pregnant
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Megan89 View Post
    Do you ever experience 'period type pains' even though you don't have your periods anymore? I keep getting them and I keep getting excited cos I think my period is starting but it never does GRRness!!!
    No, I haven't had any period pains/cramps or anything for a long time now. I'm certainly not complaining about the situation, it's quite nice not having to worry about that time of the month. But I do worry as obviously it's not a "normal" way to be and there may be something wrong with my body.

I've been to the doctor several times now and everytime I was told (similar to Gorilla) that it will just take time to go back to normal. At the most recent check-up I had, I was advised to put on a bit of weight and see if that helped - apparently just 2 pounds could make all the difference. Well, seeing as it's the xmas peiod, that shouldn't be too difficult
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Hey!
    Update...ok so i have been reading through all your responses =)
    Am a bit scared about the soy thing..i do eat a LOT of it.. soya milk.. tofu sausages...soya yoghurt and more
    Ok so I am 5"5 and I now have put on some weight and weigh 8 stone. surely that is not underweight?!
    Still...no periods :-( I don't want to put on any more weight.. perhaps it will take time for them to come back im not sure..
    My doctor said a while back just to put on weight (when i was 7 and a half) but for some stupid reason i forgot to mention that i was vegan>! :-?
    Oh..will I ever be back to normal!?!

Please don't worry, you will not help yourself by worrying. I think the best thing to do is to avoid worry, concentrate on eating a healthy balanced diet and maintain your weight at at least 8 stones. Are you sure you aren't preganant by any chance? Also the doctor can do another hormone test to see if your hrmones are out of balance. It may be wise to get a check with the GP once every few months. Other than that just try and avoid stress and monitor your tendency to return to disordered eating habits and restricting. The GP does not need to know you are vegan as long as you are eating a balanced diet (with all the main food groups including protiens, healthy fats and carbohydrates). Many vegans have a much better diet than many omnis.

If you are worried about taking too much soy, perhaps you can make some diet swaps. For instance, it's a little more expensive but you can get several other types of 'milk' in place of soy - rice, almond, oat, etc. Maybe lay off the sausages in favour of something else for a while - I'm not sure what though. You could probably try seitan although it's hard to get that sausage-y and I think it might work better as a medalion or breast type shape. You mentioned soy yoghurt too, sometimes you can get vegan yoghurts based on something else like rice milk but those are harder to find. Perhaps try eating fruit cups (fruit puree in a case - like baby food in more adult-friendly packaging!)? These are just some suggestions for a couple of things you could try in place of soya things you eat often.

I disagree with the person who posted that they were giving advice against soy because they had experienced the problems and the people who weren't against soy were people who had never had problems - being vegan, most of the people on this forum eat plenty of soy all the time, and so when we say we've had no problems, and even had good effects, it isn't without merit! Because we've all been eating it. I'm not saying that no-one has any problems from it, or that the problems mentioned aren't from soy, but nearly every food has problems for those that are sensitive to it. That doesn't mean that everyone shouldn't eat it, just that those who find themselves sensitive to it shouldn't eat it.

I think one of the problems with studies on soy is that the meat and dairy industries sponsor studies to highlight any negatives about it, while the soy and vegetarian industries sponsor studies pointing out the positives. I'm not sure we'll ever know exactly what goes on with soy. i would go on about what I think, but there is a different thread already for/against soy in another part of the forum!

Yes, like Jamie I would be tempted to try cutting soy out/down for a while in the circumstances, just to see if it makes a difference. There is plenty of other stuff to eat although I share your liking for tofu

As discussed further up the thread, there seems to be some evidence that eating soy can help with menopausal problems via some kind of hormonal interaction, so who knows - it could affect some people's menstruation as well, though evidently not all.

hmmm...ive heard the whole tofu thing and i myself consume alot of tofu...i am worried as i am trying to get pregnant and i have been trying for 3 months to no prevail...although 3 months isnt that long really...i dunno ive been consuming soy for 6 years, and no probs...although i do have probs with my period being shorter but not stopping.

Hi, I have been on the pill for 7 years and just stopped taking it 10 weeks ago. I stopped about 4 years ago for a month and got my period that first month. Now I have been vegan for 3yrs and am much much healthier then before and this time round I haven't had any signs of periods or pains or anything. I weigh 8 stone and am 5'4 same as I have always been. I have read that it is common for vegans on low fat diets to have no periods but I am not sure why. I don't eat soy products maybe some tempeh once a month. I eat huge amounts of leafy greens and am wondering if maybe i eat to many and this could have something to do with it. anyway I am not worrying about it but it is strange.
    "Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows" - Nietzsche :rolleyes:

My understanding is that low fat vegans tend to be underweight.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

The common problem for people who are at or below the low end of their normal body mass index, or who are even slightly underweight is that they could be at risk of developing osteoporosis. Strong bones need to be developed at a fairly young age in order to carry the body without a fracture throught the whole life span. Once bone density building age has passed, it is difficult to build any significant further bone density and bone density can decline to the stage where it is so low as to be osteoporosis. Even a short time of being underweight at a crucial age in youth, teens in paticular, could lead to a lifetime of weak and fracture prone bones.

pavotrouge

You have to have a certain amount of fat in your body, otherwise it won't even think of initiating anything that could lead to motherhood- how much do you weigh at what height?

Panda said she was 8 stone and 5'4 which doesn't look underweight on paper but I suppose it depends on build and on how much of your weight is muscle as opposed to fat.

Mind you 10 weeks isn't that long - it could take longer than that for your cycle to re-establish itself I would have thought. Might be worth checking with your doc if you're worried.

There is a bit about it here http://www.womens-health.co.uk/stopill.asp - don't know how reliable that information is though.

I have been through anorexia too. I am the same height as you and 7 and a half stone is the point where my periods stop if I'm losing weight, and start again when I'm gaining weight.
    You can only menstruate if you have a certain amount of body fat. It sounds like that's your answer. I would imagine if you gained a few pounds your periods would come back.
    I have dropped from 8st 12 to 7st 10 since new year, and my periods have become very erratic again. I would put money on them stopping totally at 7st 7.
    Keep fighting it. We need to be good vegan ambassadors.....or everyone will say that we're skinny because vegans aren't healthy!!

i seem to have lost my period as well. but i don't mind it =P haha.