Thread: Poo on my veggies?

Default Poo on my veggies?

I'm unsure about what to do about organic now after reading through some stuff on here - despite the obvious issues of using poor exploited animals poo poo to fertilise it - i also have an ewwww!!! factor

like i never used to peel my organic stuff just scub - but now thinking that it is covered in cow poo i'm thinking maybe i should be full on sterilising the stuff!! Also after reading the US thread on e.coli contaminated organic spinach i'm presuming from cow poo - its left me in a quandry?

What does everyone else do/think? Is there something your supposed to wash organic stuff in that gets off all the poo/e.coli and goodness knows what else!

(Sorry if this is replicating anything - i couldnt find this question anywhere!)

Seaside

Default Re: Poo on my veggies?

Well, they can't just dump fresh manure onto crops, because uncomposted or un-aged manures will rob the soil of nitrogen. I don't know how much better that makes you feel about its presence, though. But what most officials don't like to admit is that lots of E. coli contamination comes from food handlers not washing their hands after defecating. Blaming it on animals sounds better, so that's what they do.

Its always a good idea to wash your produce before you use it.

Quote Chocs4me View Post
    like i never used to peel my organic stuff just scub - but now thinking that it is covered in cow poo i'm thinking maybe i should be full on sterilising the stuff!!
    I live in an area close to a lot of non-organic farmers, and they all use manure in addition to synthetic fertilizers. You'd need to avoid vegetables or eat only veganic if you want to avoid food that has been grown in soil fertilized with manure...

Hmmm...there is no escaping the poo then...it was reasuring to know that it is treated first - should we be washing our veggies in something or will just plain old water do?

luaps

there are other ways for orgaic grown crops you dont have to use bone meal, etc, try these site out, www.veganorganic.net

or try growing your own or at least some, there are plenty of allotments in liverpool. have a look at liverpool organic gardners, site they meet near penny lane.
    http://www.logweb.connectfree.co.uk