Thread: Soya Formula Question

Default Soya Formula Question

Hi,
    My daughter is 10 months old and we're using infant soya formula. Does anyone know when i should stop using it and go on to ordinary soya milk/rice milk etc? I read somewhere continue til 2 years old for the vitamins but a bit confused? Does anyone else use soya formula or have used it for your kids if so what did you do? I dont really know who to ask about this. Thanks

Default Re: Soya Formula Question

On some cartons I think it says that you shouldn't give normal soy milk to children under one year old.

That's all I've seen about it. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Thanks anyway. Still non the wiser really. We use regular soya milk/rice milk in food but not as a main drink as im also aware of not giving it til at least 1 years old.Think i'll just continue with it til longer

Do you speak to a post-natal person / department? Maybe they would know?

Sorry if it's the wrong terminology. I am both male, and yet to have children so I'm not really up on this.

That's ok . We tend not to have much contact with health visitors etc as in my experience they aren't helpful. I contacted vegan society today and they sent me some info.

no soy before 3 years of age do to it's hormones etc. Plus too much soy is never a good thing, just like too much of anything isn't good.
    FYI, theres no such thing as vegan baby formula ,at least not in the US,it all had animal sourced vitamin D. were you unable to breastfeed? at 10 months there is still a possibility of getting your milk back
    I can give you lotos of info on re-lactating and also the non -existence of vegan formula. LMK

Crossbow

I've been reading into the dangers of using a soy-based infant formula. There are claims that soy has high phytoestrogen, causing early puberty in girls (aged 3-8!) and late puberty in boys. I've heard it called "giving 5 birth control pills a day" to a child. (I'm not saying I believe the effects are this drastic, but it's possible.) There are also a myriad of other things caused by the use of a soy based infant diet, thyroid disorders, one birth defect of the penis is linked to vegetarian mothers 500x more frequently than omni. They say although estrogen in soy formula is concentrated up to 3000x more than a diet based on soy food, these effects can still show up later in children of mothers who eat a lot of soy in pregnancy. Just as I believe the meat and dairy industry exaggerates their health claims, I believe the soy industry does too.

good article (I found so many that talked about this issue that kept vegetarian bashing throughout the article ) http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...soy_story.html

Crossbow - would this have anything to do with your sudden decision not to be vegan any more?

It seems to me you've been reading something that is very anti-soy (and unfounded by science). I'm sure there are threads on here that discuss these allegations against soy in length and dismiss them - if you haven't already checked them out you might find them interesting.

Both my girls had Farleys vegan soya formula. They are 6 and 8 now so I'll let you know if they start their periods anytime soon!

It says not until 2 years. My 2 and a half year old drinks it. My eldest drank it from that age to.

3 years is best to wait until.
    ive been vegan 12 years just about now and i hardly have any soy ever. its just used as a treat for us. when my dd turns 3 she may or may not start soy. i really want to hold off on it as long as possible. you can easily ve vegan while avoiding soy.
    Human milk for baby humans
    Cow milk for baby cows

Actually it's the hormones in cowmilk that do this. It was reported that a 4 YEAR OLD in Peurto Rico got her period!! Can you even imagine handling a period at that age!?! I know I couldn't.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Kant